Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2011, 15:17   #5086
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Naveen,
What is the fog lamp set up you are using in the Swift? Is it stock?

I am using 100/90 philips rally for the HL but fog lamp is stock. Do we have any upgrade option for Swift fogs?
Old 2nd June 2011, 21:34   #5087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
I am using 100/90 philips rally for the HL but fog lamp is stock. Do we have any upgrade option for Swift fogs?
You can upgrade to Philips 100W bulbs. But from my experience in fixing the same in my friends Swift, there is difference only in brightness. The beam throw/quality does not improve much due limitations of the small reflector.

Uploading some pics of Nightbreaker+.

I had a short drive with NB+ on tonight, but except for the brightness, i could not notice any difference. Maybe a highway drive will "throw more light" into its advantages.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-figonb-001.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-figonb-003.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-figonb-004.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-figonb-006.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img0023a.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img0026a.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 3rd June 2011, 09:47   #5088
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Naveen,
What is the fog lamp set up you are using in the Swift? Is it stock?

It's stock. I had plans of installing HID's onto my fogs but backed out at the last moment. As "Skyline" mentioned, you can try 100w bulbs but wont make any difference in the spread since the reflector is too small. The other option is to fix bolt projectors onto this. But I wouldnt recommend this since it's expensive and our roads are not ideal for these setups. Occasional flying stones and running dogs can cause damage or cause water seepage.

My friend had installed Volvo headlights onto his Swift's fog lights. It fits perfectly and the spread is good (atleast for city use. You dont need to use HL's in city according to him). He's got Philips 80/90w bulbs in them. But be ready to shell out 7k for the unit. You can check his car in my thread.

In short, stay with the stock fogs and upgrade the HL's. Fogs wont provide great distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
You can upgrade to Philips 100W bulbs. But from my experience in fixing the same in my friends Swift, there is difference only in brightness. The beam throw/quality does not improve much due limitations of the small reflector.

Uploading some pics of Nightbreaker+.

I had a short drive with NB+ on tonight, but except for the brightness, i could not notice any difference. Maybe a highway drive will "throw more light" into its advantages.
Maybe the rains have played spoilsport here. Try the highways. Think it should perform well. Let us know.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 10:59   #5089
BHPian

Thanks Naveen & Skyline. I will stick to stock fogs :-)

Naveen, Which thread you are referring to? I want to take a look at your friend's swift with volvo lights.
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:04   #5090
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Naveen & Skyline. I will stick to stock fogs :-)

Naveen, Which thread you are referring to? I want to take a look at your friend's swift with volvo lights.
Here it is. Page 9 and the Blue swift is the one with Volvo lights.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...om-modz-9.html
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:34   #5091
BHPian

Thanks Naveen. Those lights look very bright !
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:36   #5092
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Naveen. Those lights look very bright !
Yes, these are bright but investing 7k for those are bit expensive considering our road conditions.
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:50   #5093
BHPian

DieselLover,

Saw a Hella projector Aux light at AM Car Decor yesterday. MRP was 5K. I guess it can be incorporated into Swift Fogs.

Check it out if you are passing by.
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:06   #5094
BHPian

Skyline,
I would like to check it out. But is the projector set up recommended for fog lamps?
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:10   #5095
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Skyline,
I would like to check it out. But is the projector set up recommended for fog lamps?

I discarded the thought so many times.
they are remarkably easy to break up in a million ways on our roads/parkings.
CIP: how many times have you managed to nudge a raised pavement while parking nose first perpendicular to it?
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:35   #5096
BHPian

I upgraded my Ikon's healamp to philips rally 100/130 with tvs lucas relay . But i feel the beam is still inffecient and is not staisfied with the low beam throw.I know this is the max setup that i can go , other than HID.Is there any good bulbs which i can try out?
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:55   #5097
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Skyline,
Not recommended. Although you have projector setups for fogs, this is rarely used since this is not apt for our road conditions and can get easily damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
I upgraded my Ikon's healamp to philips rally 100/130 with tvs lucas relay . But i feel the beam is still inffecient and is not staisfied with the low beam throw.I know this is the max setup that i can go , other than HID.Is there any good bulbs which i can try out?
You can check out crystal vision from Philips. Quite good reviews from users. You can also check out Osram Cool Blue. I had used them for a couple of months. Much better than the OEM bulbs. BTW, my car is a Swift.

Last edited by naveen.raju : 3rd June 2011 at 12:56.
Old 3rd June 2011, 13:13   #5098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
I would say its as illegal and dangerous as putting HIDs on standard headlights. I will make it bit more elaborate:

Headlights are designed to "throw" light down-road while maintaining a cut-off line to not blind other drivers.

Here is an example of a standard low beam driving light:

"Fog" lights are simply auxiliary lights they have no throw but create a "bubble" of light around the car giving you more peripheral. They are intentionally designed not to project far because there is no cut-off line. If they projected far they would blind oncoming traffic. By putting a non standard higher wattage bulb or even a HID you are literally projecting the fogs to the oncoming traffic and thereby compromising their visibility.

Example of a normal fog light beam pattern:

I've seen many cars whose fogs were aimed parallel to the road. They just don't know what they are doing to other oncoming vehicles. And now there's another trend to go for HIDs on fogs just for the bling factor

As a responsible BHPians we should not encourage such mods.
sajjt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 13:58   #5099
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
I would say its as illegal and dangerous as putting HIDs on standard headlights. I will make it bit more elaborate:

Headlights are designed to "throw" light down-road while maintaining a cut-off line to not blind other drivers.

Here is an example of a standard low beam driving light:

"Fog" lights are simply auxiliary lights they have no throw but create a "bubble" of light around the car giving you more peripheral. They are intentionally designed not to project far because there is no cut-off line. If they projected far they would blind oncoming traffic. By putting a non standard higher wattage bulb or even a HID you are literally projecting the fogs to the oncoming traffic and thereby compromising their visibility.

Example of a normal fog light beam pattern:

I've seen many cars whose fogs were aimed parallel to the road. They just don't know what they are doing to other oncoming vehicles. And now there's another trend to go for HIDs on fogs just for the bling factor

As a responsible BHPians we should not encourage such mods.
I have noticed this in some cars and have this as an OEM fitment. Some of these are really irritating.
Old 3rd June 2011, 14:22   #5100
BHPian

Quote:
You can check out crystal vision from Philips
Actually i used Philips X-treme vision(55/60) before this ,even though they were better than stock halonix it had a short life ,with in 6 months both LB filaments blew one after another.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks