Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2011, 21:23   #5296
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

So finally completed the DIY today and went for a test drive for around 15 kms.

Let me provide the details first and then the results.

Bought the kit (which never had a manual) from ebay.in from a dealer located out of Delhi and not so co-operative. The kit (DC) came with a 4300k HID bulb with 1 ballast and 2 connectors for direct battery pole connection and 2 open wires for hi and low beam. I purchased a seperate 3 way switch that we use in car dashboard (I have seen that used in the old ambys) and 3 meters of 4 mm wire.

Connected the battery pole as per the kit and took a seperate connection from the positive pole of the battery to the 3 way switch input and connected the 2 outputs to the hi and low wires. Once tested, then fixed the switch and completed the connections neatly.

The low beam is excellent and takes 10 seconds to warm up. The hi beam is a little on the higher side, but I don't mind as I never ride with hi beam.

Now the fun part. The road I took has 2 different stretchs, first is a pitch dark 7 kilometer 12 ft wide road which has lot of traffic and every one on hi beam. In the dark, my light is so much better than the earlier that I almost felt that I was riding without lights before. For the in coming triffic, 2 flashes of hi and low gave them the signal to lower their lights (only who know how to do it, rest dont even know what that is). Also I could see past the incoming traffic my light on the road. This is an experience given I was riding my DIO.

The next 8 kms is 6 lane congested highway. Here I stood out with my light and could clearly see the difference. The other two wheelers were staring as to what is this light and from whom, and I must say they were very dissapointed to see a Honda DIO doing this in front of them. My light was visible over and above all the cars and busses going parellel to me (may be because of the colour) and for some reason they were giving me way (I hope I am not dreaming here, APSRTC bus giving place for Honda DIO?). But I was no Yamaha or Pulsar that would zoom by, so took my own time to pass them. This is just a great experience. I hope this one last long.

Last edited by sudipta : 16th July 2011 at 21:33.
Old 16th July 2011, 21:45   #5297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta
Sajjt,

I have decided not to touch the existing switch or wiring to start with as that is my insurance to go back to the original setup if needed. So I am planning to install a separate switch for the HID and see how is the performance.

So I will get all the connection directly from the battery and for the time being use the same. I have a 1 week old Amaron battery of 5 ah.

So when you say that the light will work only for 20 mins you mean pos that the battery will be dead and no self starting unless I ride it enough to get the battery charged again, right?

Also my kit is fro Mr. Vivek of Delhi who wasn't to helpful to start with when I started asking all the technical questions. He also suggested to connect a direct wire from battery to switch to make the HID work properly which I am skeptical and not following.

I have a plan to do all this today and ride in the evening. I will put up my experience by tomorrow for more suggestion.
If you have a 5aH battery then backup time will be less than what I said as I was comparing with my 9AH battery. Cheaper kits will consume more power.

BTW, if you are not not going to change the electricals then how will you power the hi/low switchings?

EDIT: just now I saw your update, glad everything went well. Now its time to disclose the much discussed data: backup time??

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587
I have been using HID kit on my Zma since 4 years now with the stock 7A batteries,and havent faced any issue related to battery draining out in city riding even.My friend had 2 HID kits in his R15 and they were performing normally,though he had slight issues with the battery.
Also these days i see Activa's and heck even LML Vespa's with HID.
not sure what kind of electric circuit mod they run on.
Akshay, ZMA is a full DC bike with a powerful alternator and the stock halogens are 55W by stock. If you have upgraded to HID then you have literally eased the load on the battery to 2/3. A 35W HID will consume 3-3.5A consitently after stabilization where as a 55W halogen will take 5A

Yes R15 can take the load of 2X35W HID with a puny 3.5A battery but you need to keep the rpms above 4k. But on city drives, its a pain.

LML has got a 12V version which is having a powerful alternator. This can be utilised after changing the RR for supporting the HID.

Last edited by sajjt : 16th July 2011 at 21:53.
Old 17th July 2011, 01:03   #5298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Any idea when the Night Breaker Pluses will be officially available in Mumbai and where ? Are they available already ?
Hi Mortis,
Please follow my post #5249 on page 350.
The contact details are given somewhere in my previous posts..
Old 17th July 2011, 01:39   #5299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
If you have a 5aH battery then backup time will be less than what I said as I was comparing with my 9AH battery. Cheaper kits will consume more power.

BTW, if you are not not going to change the electricals then how will you power the hi/low switchings?

EDIT: just now I saw your update, glad everything went well. Now its time to disclose the much discussed data: backup time??

Akshay, ZMA is a full DC bike with a powerful alternator and the stock halogens are 55W by stock. If you have upgraded to HID then you have literally eased the load on the battery to 2/3. A 35W HID will consume 3-3.5A consitently after stabilization where as a 55W halogen will take 5A

Yes R15 can take the load of 2X35W HID with a puny 3.5A battery but you need to keep the rpms above 4k. But on city drives, its a pain.

LML has got a 12V version which is having a powerful alternator. This can be utilised after changing the RR for supporting the HID.
Zma has 35W stock halogens
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2011, 13:39   #5300
BHPian

Hi all,
I could examine the Osram NBP H4 bulbs in my car extensively during my 1 day trip to Mumbai & I had a ‘mixed’ experience with those, I could say. I would summarize my findings like this:
1. In ample rainy condition on highways & especially with a lot of vehicles throwing even brighter light towards you, these NBP H4 bulbs are more or less of ‘NO USE’ (just like the stock bulbs of my New Fabia). I can say, they hardly make any difference for you!
(Here, it’s interesting to know about the use of HID conversion kit/ bulbs with higher wattage under such conditions. Do they practically make any sense in such ‘drastic’ situation? On account of effect/ side effects & also cost effectiveness etc.)
2. But in normal condition on highways also; these NBP perform much better, again as compared to the stocks! Thank GOD, otherwise it would have been a total waste of money for me.
3. On the regular roads with ‘limited’ (2 way) traffic, I easily noticed the difference even in rains & also liked the ‘extra’ brightness added at the same wattage.
4. I guess there shouldn't be any ‘blinking’ effect for the oncoming drivers!

Finally IMO, NBP H4 bulbs are ‘Not value for money’ (just considering some better/ cheaper options already on topic of this thread) especially for those who can afford making any change/ alteration in the original wiring of their cars..
So I would suggest to prefer ‘these’ only if you are against any modification or alteration in the original wiring of the car & also don’t want to violate the approved limit of wattage.
Thanks

Last edited by Dr.Vikas : 17th July 2011 at 13:41.
Old 17th July 2011, 14:05   #5301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
The stock 50/60 bulb in Xylo was too inadequate. A fortnight back, I got it upgraded to Philips Rally 100/130 with some 'PSC' brand relay installed which has separate fuse for Low & High beams - dealer has assured of quality. The difference is significant, very bright light. As part of the installation, I even got the two pilot lamps replaced with LED (white) - looks cute. All done in Rs.1250/-.

But last week the Low stopped working (High was fine though) and found that particular fuse blown which was replaced and I also bought 2-3 spare fuse (25A). The technician told not to keep on same beam for very long, intermediately use dipper or change for few seconds and it should work fine.

Pranav
Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
probably the relay is not rated to handle the power of 100/130W bulbs. Have you checked the power ratings of the relay ?? it should handle a minimum of 260Watts, else you ll keep seeing this blown fuses on a regular basis. I would use better quality relay & also go for ceramic holders, if your relay didnt have those.
that time itself I had got the relay changed to Minda; not sure if it has ceramic holders!.

recently the Rh HL leveller motor was not working and ordered the entire Rh-HL Assembly under warranty which took almost a month to arrive. During this period I happen to notice black formation on the small reflector cover (cap kinda) just in front of the bulb! rest all was ok, but felt that light was also bit weak. The doubt would be heat generated by 100/130 ?

Though now the setup is changed to new, Im worried and thinking to disconnect the relay and change bulb to oem defaults. Herein, requesting to assist for better setup of bulbs (bright light) and wattage (lesser heat).

thanks,

Pranav
Old 17th July 2011, 16:51   #5302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
that time itself I had got the relay changed to Minda; not sure if it has ceramic holders!.

recently the Rh HL leveller motor was not working and ordered the entire Rh-HL Assembly under warranty which took almost a month to arrive. During this period I happen to notice black formation on the small reflector cover (cap kinda) just in front of the bulb! rest all was ok, but felt that light was also bit weak. The doubt would be heat generated by 100/130 ?

Though now the setup is changed to new, Im worried and thinking to disconnect the relay and change bulb to oem defaults. Herein, requesting to assist for better setup of bulbs (bright light) and wattage (lesser heat).

thanks,

Pranav
Nice to know you finally have new HL assembly pranav. But, any Halogen for that matter generates quite a bit of heat. You are better off using 90/100 setup and try to use Low Beam only as much as possible. You can use your minda relay with 90/100 bulbs and ceramic holders.

If you are worried about heat generation, you can go for Osram NightBreakers which come in the stock wattage of 50/50w but produce brighter light. ( it is a gamble with these bulbs, those are expensive 1300/- and are more prone to malfunction than others)
Old 17th July 2011, 17:33   #5303
BHPian

HI Guys
just got my self a pair of Osram Nightebreaker plus for 785 bucks with b/w. The printed price on the pack was 1150/-. Will be installing then soon......

Cheers
Old 17th July 2011, 18:39   #5304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
Hi all,
I could examine the Osram NBP H4 bulbs in my car extensively during my 1 day trip to Mumbai & I had a ‘mixed’ experience with those, I could say. I would summarize my findings like this:
1. In ample rainy condition on highways & especially with a lot of vehicles throwing even brighter light towards you, these NBP H4 bulbs are more or less of ‘NO USE’ (just like the stock bulbs of my New Fabia). I can say, they hardly make any difference for you!

2. But in normal condition on highways also; these NBP perform much better, again as compared to the stocks! Thank GOD, otherwise it would have been a total waste of money for me.
In rainy conditions, even the guys throwing brighter light at you would also be struggling, because raindrops will refract the light. Therefore try your Low beams it would be much, I repeat, much better.
Old 17th July 2011, 19:35   #5305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
Nice to know you finally have new HL assembly pranav. But, any Halogen for that matter generates quite a bit of heat. You are better off using 90/100 setup and try to use Low Beam only as much as possible. You can use your minda relay with 90/100 bulbs and ceramic holders.

If you are worried about heat generation, you can go for Osram NightBreakers which come in the stock wattage of 50/50w but produce brighter light. ( it is a gamble with these bulbs, those are expensive 1300/- and are more prone to malfunction than others)
@Krishna: thanks for the info. if you could pl suggest in lower $$ range.
Old 17th July 2011, 23:20   #5306
BHPian

I have been searching Noida Sector 16 market for Bosch relay so that I can fit 100/90w headlight in my car, but couldn't find it. What I found are Hella and Master relays combined with wiring + harness + bulb holder. While Master is a local brand, Hella is supossedly a German brand but the packaging does not have any manufacturer and importer name + address. So my questions are:

1. Is this Hella any good? I am cautious because my car is a Getz Prime and I have gone through a fair amount of posts in this thread.

2. Does the Bosch kit, apart from relay, come with wire, harness and bulb holder? Where can i find Bosch relay in Noida and south Delhi?

Looking forward to responses from fellow members.

Last edited by Guite : 17th July 2011 at 23:21.
Old 18th July 2011, 09:54   #5307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I have been searching Noida Sector 16 market for Bosch relay so that I can fit 100/90w headlight in my car, but couldn't find it. What I found are Hella and Master relays combined with wiring + harness + bulb holder. While Master is a local brand, Hella is supossedly a German brand but the packaging does not have any manufacturer and importer name + address. So my questions are:

1. Is this Hella any good? I am cautious because my car is a Getz Prime and I have gone through a fair amount of posts in this thread.

2. Does the Bosch kit, apart from relay, come with wire, harness and bulb holder? Where can i find Bosch relay in Noida and south Delhi?

Looking forward to responses from fellow members.
Bosch south delhi:
dashmesh auto,in lodhi road, meher chand mkt.
its next to the, ahem, beverage vend, close to slice of italy, on the 1st floor.
contact from just dial:
Mr Manjeet Singh
+(91)-11-66225333
+(91)-9810121301
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 11:22   #5308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
So finally completed the DIY today and went for a test drive for around 15 kms...........................
What about the backup time..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Zma has 35W stock halogens
Point noted When ever I saw a ZMA, it was sporting with a 55/60W.
Old 18th July 2011, 13:05   #5309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Guys got Raylux HID 4300k on my Anhc today.Have you all heard of the brand?
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Havent heard about this brand. Did you fix it? How is the performance?
At first all brands will work well. It's the life that's important. Please update the thread with pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaynmantis View Post
Been using it for almost 4 years now. Still working flawlessly . Was apprehensive at first as it was unknown brand, but seems seems okay after all.
Sorry for the Delay guys.Lazy me.

Parking Lights Exterior
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dscn3452.jpg

Low Beam Exterior
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dscn3453.jpg

High Beam Exterior
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dscn3455.jpg

Low Beam Interior
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dscn3458.jpg

High Beam Interior
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dscn3459.jpg

Random Exterior Pictures

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dscn3460.jpg
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dscn3461.jpg
Old 18th July 2011, 13:39   #5310
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Sorry for the Delay guys.Lazy me.
Thanks for the pics. Looks good. Is it aligned properly? Think the driver side beam isnt spread well compared to the left side. Might be due to the pics.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks