Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2012, 01:22   #5806
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

A strange problem with my P8 HID kit. They worked absolutely fine for around 10 months in my Esteem. And the moment I shifted the kit to my new Swift, one of the bulbs stayed on low beam while the other bulb worked fine on both low and high beams. I initially thought that the bulb mechanism might have gone bad and got it replaced with a new bulb, but the problem persisted. Then, I replaced the ballast with a new one and even changed the relay, but still of no use. Now only the main wiring harness of the kit remains to be checked. But if the main harness has a fault then shouldn't both the bulbs get affected? Anyone aware of such HID issues?

Waiting for your inputs. Thanks.

Last edited by manjot1912 : 21st January 2012 at 01:30.
Old 21st January 2012, 12:44   #5807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjot1912 View Post
A strange problem with my P8 HID kit. They worked absolutely fine for around 10 months in my Esteem. And the moment I shifted the kit to my new Swift, one of the bulbs stayed on low beam while the other bulb worked fine on both low and high beams. I initially thought that the bulb mechanism might have gone bad and got it replaced with a new bulb, but the problem persisted. Then, I replaced the ballast with a new one and even changed the relay, but still of no use. Now only the main wiring harness of the kit remains to be checked. But if the main harness has a fault then shouldn't both the bulbs get affected? Anyone aware of such HID issues?

Waiting for your inputs. Thanks.
If the HID capsule lights up and refuses to give the high beam even after replacing the bulb, something wrong with the harness. Its the solenoid behind the HID capsule makes the beam to high/low beam by pulling it back & forth. The other bulb is working fine means the stock switch is fine, so problem with the harness, defective bulb side flashing wire.There will be a pair of puny wires coming from the bulb base other than the wires to be connected to the ballast is the one you should look for. You can trace this wires at the end of the control box of the harness and check for any loose connection or so. If it turns out to be vain, you can even connect the high beam stock socket wire to the red colour wire or making a parallel connection with the other bulb's puny red wire. It should work.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-h4-hid-pin-out.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
THanks a lot. FF 500 is too big and round for my liking. I love those oval shaped ones. The ones simmilar to those that came on my Fiat Adventure. What attracted me to the black magics are the compact size. I thought i could even try to fix it into the bumper. The Figo bumper is very close to the radiator and there is minimal space available.
You can try FF50/FF75 for 4.8-5K which is available in driving lights also, where the beam spread is also good.

FF50
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-rallye-ff-50.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-rallye-ff-50-dia.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-rallye-ff-50-beam-spreaq.jpg

FF 75
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-rallye-ff-75.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-rallye-ff-75-dia.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-rallye-ff-75-beam-spreaq.jpg

Last edited by sajjt : 21st January 2012 at 12:51.
sajjt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 12:32   #5808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
THanks a lot. FF 500 is too big and round for my liking. I love those oval shaped ones. The ones simmilar to those that came on my Fiat Adventure. What attracted me to the black magics are the compact size. I thought i could even try to fix it into the bumper. The Figo bumper is very close to the radiator and there is minimal space available.

Are Black Magics Driving Lights? The price i mentioned was as quoted by the Hella person in cochin. If this is high where should i be looking for a good deal.

500 Black Magics and 500FFs are of the same size and yes, Hella markets them as driving lights.

Not sure if the smaller ones are classified as driving or fog lamps. Check the Hella website.

The prices are definitely higher than bangalore. The hella website gives the MRP of the lights. Compare against that first and try other accessory shops. If not, try to source from bangalore.
Old 23rd January 2012, 14:51   #5809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
You can try FF50/FF75 for 4.8-5K which is available in driving lights also, where the beam spread is also good.
That was real useful. Thanks a lot. Do you have the similar spread diagram for the Black Magic 500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
500 Black Magics and 500FFs are of the same size and yes, Hella markets them as driving lights.

Not sure if the smaller ones are classified as driving or fog lamps. Check the Hella website.

The prices are definitely higher than bangalore. The hella website gives the MRP of the lights. Compare against that first and try other accessory shops. If not, try to source from bangalore.
Thanks. Could you tell me exactly where to look for these lights in Bangalore. I would have to ask someone to pick it up for me. Hence it would be good to give him specific directions. Thanks again.
Old 23rd January 2012, 15:23   #5810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Alternatively, you can call ADD-ON shop in JC Road, to be precise Siddiah Road. He has the best range of Lightforce & Hella Lamps along with Competetive price too
I just checked a couple of places for lightforce 170. I'm seeing some ridiculous differences.

ADD On - Rs 27000
Kumar's (authorized seller for Lightforce) - Rs. 28000
Ebay.com (only a pair of lights) - $350
Ebay.com (with security nuts and wiring harness) - 475 $

Now, tell me which one is priceless

Does hella come with a wiring kit? What does it cost? It makes more sense to import just the lights and then club it with a good wiring harness locally. The nuts may also need to be procured from abroad.
Old 23rd January 2012, 15:34   #5811
BHPian

Quote:
That was real useful. Thanks a lot. Do you have the similar spread diagram for the Black Magic 500.

This is all I've right now

My Hella Lights :: Rallye 1000 Series Black Magic
Old 23rd January 2012, 16:17   #5812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
Any idea about the cost of Hella Rallye 4000 & 4000 Compact? And also the 3000 series.

Rallye 3000 cost rs. 3450 per piece and could bargain for around 5800-6000 for a pair , these come with 100w H1 bulbs .

Rallye 3003 cost 3750 per piece , got a pair inclusive of installation for 7k in hyderabad , these are spot lights comes with 55w H1.check my scorp pics

Rallye 4000 & 4000 compact is around 8k per piece , better to get these from US where it retails at 100-125$ , chk at rallylights.com.

BTW in which car do you want to mount these.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-scorp-lites.jpg  

rm_arjuna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 17:22   #5813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
BTW in which car do you want to mount these.
Thanks... I'm planning to use them on my Tucson.

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 23rd January 2012 at 17:23.
Old 24th January 2012, 11:03   #5814
BHPian

Re: Linea headlight upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Going for a higher wattage bulb and ceramic holders + relay would definitely void the warranty on a two year old Punto [with extended warranty] right ?

Contemplating putting just the 90/100 bulbs on the Punto!
Did you try putting 90/100 bulbs directly on Punto? I am looking to upgrade bulbs on my 1.5 year old Punto. Is it ok to put 90/100 bulbs on directly without any relay, ceramic holders? Wont the head lamps black out?
EDIT: OT: Is there some thread here on Tbhp where I can understand all these jargons like HID, projector set up, Ceramic holders etc etc? As a newbie, I am clueless about what some of these posts talk about?

Last edited by flycatcher : 24th January 2012 at 11:06.
Old 24th January 2012, 11:49   #5815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycatcher View Post
Did you try putting 90/100 bulbs directly on Punto? I am looking to upgrade bulbs on my 1.5 year old Punto. Is it ok to put 90/100 bulbs on directly without any relay, ceramic holders? Wont the head lamps black out?
EDIT: OT: Is there some thread here on Tbhp where I can understand all these jargons like HID, projector set up, Ceramic holders etc etc? As a newbie, I am clueless about what some of these posts talk about?
Yes I upgraded the Punto with 100/90 Phillips Rally Bulbs and a wiring kit which came with a relay and ceramic holders.

Lighting is much much better now! I just ensure to switch off the headlights when the vehicle is not in motion.
Old 24th January 2012, 14:19   #5816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Yes I upgraded the Punto with 100/90 Phillips Rally Bulbs and a wiring kit which came with a relay and ceramic holders.

Lighting is much much better now! I just ensure to switch off the headlights when the vehicle is not in motion.
Can you let me know the details of the exact set up? Which brand of bulbs, wiring kit etc? Also where did you get all this done?(I am assuming you did this Bangalore, since your location says so).
EDIT: Just saw you have used Phillips rally bulbs.
Old 24th January 2012, 17:25   #5817
BHPian

I have been looking into fitting my Octavia with better lights. Wanted to fit driving lamps with a long throw. Liked the looks of the Hella Micro DEs priced at 5.5 K .a pair, but these were Fog lights( with a wide diffused spread).

Finally, happened to run into Hella 60 mm Modules. These are projecter driving lights and priced at only 2.8 K a pair. NOW has any Bhpian used these ? Any feedback ? They seem too good to be true I plan (this week) to remove the slats on my Octy bumper to decide the best possible position
Old 24th January 2012, 17:39   #5818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
I have been looking into fitting my Octavia with better lights. Wanted to fit driving lamps with a long throw. Liked the looks of the Hella Micro DEs priced at 5.5 K .a pair, but these were Fog lights( with a wide diffused spread).

Finally, happened to run into Hella 60 mm Modules. These are projecter driving lights and priced at only 2.8 K a pair. NOW has any Bhpian used these ? Any feedback ? They seem too good to be true I plan (this week) to remove the slats on my Octy bumper to decide the best possible position
Can the 60mm module be fitted like a fog lamp?

Check out My Hella Lights :: 500 Series Black Magic
Old 24th January 2012, 21:16   #5819
BHPian

I guess so......some photos (from the net) of the 60 mm Module and Micro DE.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-hella-60-mm-module.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-micro-de.jpg  

Last edited by rxpaul : 24th January 2012 at 21:17.
Old 24th January 2012, 21:22   #5820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post

I guess so......some photos (from the net) of the 60 mm Module and Micro DE.
I've seen some cars fitted with MicroDE fog's as fog lamps. You mean to say in the oe space for fogs?
I don't think they can be fitted in the OE space with ease as Octavia has space for rectangular shaped fogs.Fitting this would mean cutting the existing grill properly and mounting space would have to seen.If you have a good installer then maybe yes.

Hella MicroDe were 5k a pair ?

Last edited by k2max6 : 24th January 2012 at 21:28.

Most Viewed