Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2020, 08:32   #1726
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarManMotorcycl View Post

. The size also complements the rear better than the stock.
I'm also planning on getting them, chrome compliments the looks of the bike as well, moreover S.S. finished ones are very expensive.
Old 19th February 2020, 10:19   #1727

Hi all, I have booked the BS6 Interceptor in chrome (Glitter and Dust) color scheme, I have two doubts before taking the delivery.

1. Should I install the fork gaiters before delivery, I have heard that they cause the handle bar to wobble if not installed correctly.

2.Any recommended place in Mumbai around Kandivali area for getting the PPF coating done only to the tank.

Regards,
Old 19th February 2020, 11:27   #1728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
Also, which back rest is that on your bike? Where did you get it from and get it installed?
Thanks for the response.

Those are Zana backrests, bought from FurstGear in Jayanagr 7th block, Bangalore. Installed it myself.

regards,
Girish
G-BoleroBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 15:27   #1729
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
1. Should I install the fork gaiters before delivery, I have heard that they cause the handle bar to wobble if not installed correctly.
I got the fork gaiters installed before delivery and they left the mudguard loose. Even the gaiters installation was not carried out properly. So its avoidable if you dont know the dealer service center folks well. Better to buy the gaiters and get it fitted later from a trusted workshop.
Quote:
2.Any recommended place in Mumbai around Kandivali area for getting the PPF coating done only to the tank.
PPF is a transparent 7 layer film and not a coating like teflon etc. Real 3M PPF is very strong and not that easily malleable so will have to be done in patches on the tank, as its very difficult to shape it over 3D curvy surfaces. Also, then Bangalore 3m dealer recommends not to use heat gun on the 3m ppf, but only the soap water and rubber squeezee. However, there are plenty of other clear films which are much more malleable and can easily be made to cover almost entire area of complex surfaces likes the tank. They are also ok with heat gun to shape it in place. Not sure about you city though.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 15:51   #1730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Guzzi View Post
Hi all, I have booked the BS6 Interceptor in chrome (Glitter and Dust) color scheme, I have two doubts before taking the delivery.
Regards,
Congrats bro, you can install any accessory whenever you want. But yes get it done from a proper place. Or you can get it done during first service or any service center to make sure things are carried out properly.

Their are many detailing centers around Mumbai, don't look for the nearest one but rather trustworthy and who are best at the price provided.
Why not opting for ceramic ?
Old 19th February 2020, 16:57   #1731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
I got the fork gaiters installed before delivery and they left the mudguard loose.
Nasir, have a question to you ?

Do you feel "fork gaiters" are really necessary ? Apart 'aesthetic value', to my understanding its functional purpose is limited to preventing damage to innertube from dust, odd flying stone/debris etc.

Do they serve any other purpose as to warrant a "factory set front end" being pulled apart to install them ?

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 17:28   #1732
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Do you feel "fork gaiters" are really necessary ? Apart 'aesthetic value', to my understanding its functional purpose is limited to preventing damage to innertube from dust, odd flying stone/debris etc.
Personally, i feel its more for aesthetic value, visual appeal. I guess in olden days, where fork sealing techs were not as evolved, it would have made sense to protect the shocks from leaks due to dust/debris etc getting lodged. 9 out 10 modern bikes do not have fork gators including many adventure bikes subjected to rough conditions, would mean that there is no real functional value. In our Interceptors case, the fork gaiters are held only at the top and bottom end is loose and prone to dust /moisture entering anyways.

In Retrosepct, would have been better to skip it and maintain the stock fitment of front end.
nasirkaka is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 19:24   #1733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post

Do they serve any other purpose as to warrant a "factory set front end" being pulled apart to install them ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Personally, i feel its more for aesthetic value, visual appeal. I guess in olden days, where fork sealing techs were not as evolved, it would have made sense to protect the shocks from leaks due to dust/debris etc getting lodged. 9 out 10 modern bikes do not have fork gators including many adventure bikes subjected to rough conditions, would mean that there is no real functional value. In our Interceptors case, the fork gaiters are held only at the top and bottom end is loose and prone to dust /moisture entering anyways.

In Retrosepct, would have been better to skip it and maintain the stock fitment of front end.

Well yes and no, they do add a value and serve the purpose but it depends from how one takes care of the bikes.
I had 2 friends who had oil leaking from the forks on their 500's. One had the fork gators so it was not dripping till the tip, he used the bike in such condition for a long time. On the other 500 it was worse, he had to repair it asap and tackle bumps very carefully. Both of them had a crack to the fork oil seals.
Again as nasirkaka pointed out the new tech has evolved shouldn't be a problem but one can just make sure if this problem happens ever in future the fork gators are present to reduce the damage. It can be a piece of mind kind of medicine.

Coming to "Do they serve any other purpose as to warrant a "factory set front end" being pulled apart to install them ?" This is one of the reasons I did not try to opt for the fork gators, I had read numerous reports of handle wobbling could be due to this, but again some bikes did not have fork gators but still had wobbles due to tires and weights to rims.

Instead opt for the flyscreen it slightly reduces the wind-blast.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 20:21   #1734
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
its functional purpose is limited to preventing damage to innertube from dust, odd flying stone/debris etc.
That is exactly why fork boots(Gaiters) are used.

It has nothing to do with the technology per say of the fork seals, as fork seals are still made of the same thing they used to be made a decade or two ago.

Whether you need them or not is purely a matter of personal preference and use.

Practically any indentation that gets caught by a ball pen when you run it over the inner tube poses a threat to your fork seals, these indentations are basically caused by flying debris present in some terrains.

Quote:
You aren't doing anything that'd upset the so called "Factory set front end" than what a sharp pothole would do to it.

So simply mark the position of forks, remove front wheel and mudguard, loosen pinch bolts and remove shocks one at a time, insert the boot and reverse the steps carried out so far.

Cheers,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 21:09   #1735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
You aren't doing anything that'd upset the so called "Factory set front end" than what a sharp pothole would do to it.
I think Ram is making a point regarding the quality of work carried out by the jokers at the RE dealership during delivery or otherwise. Why take a chance with a “factory set front end” to install something which is not really important.

For example they messed up by leaving Nasirkaka’s mudguard loose after the install. They could create problems/issues which you don’t really need with a brand new bike.

Ram, I agree with you, please clarify your point if you mean otherwise.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 07:48   #1736
BHPian

So after exploring for solutions to my Conti GTs soft front forks i started looking for something which will not burn a hole in my pocket, after looking at solutions i gave up. Then, I asked in the Mumbai-Pune 650 twins group if there is any inexpensive solution to this problem and turns out the fork oil grade used in the Twins is very light i.e 2W and that I should put 5W or 7W. The gentleman has done it and he seems to love it, I would still like a 2nd opinion and if you could tell me if i should go ahead with this?
CarManMotorcycl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 08:24   #1737
BHPian

Quote:
I would still like a 2nd opinion and if you could tell me if i should go ahead with this?
Test ride his bike, check for yourself how does it feel, even i am looking for some solution for my GT, if you try it do post the experience. let's wait for others to reply
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 11:03   #1738
BHPian

Quote:
So after exploring for solutions to my Conti GTs soft front forks i started looking for something which will not burn a hole in my pocket, after looking at solutions i gave up. Then, I asked in the Mumbai-Pune 650 twins group if there is any inexpensive solution to this problem and turns out the fork oil grade used in the Twins is very light i.e 2W and that I should put 5W or 7W.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
Test ride his bike, check for yourself how does it feel, even i am looking for some solution for my GT, if you try it do post the experience. let's wait for others to reply

I am in the same boat, looking for any front fork solution. The stock soft setup is very annoying. I've contacted a couple of workshops in Pune. One place offered me 3 options: pre-load adjusters, oil upgrade, spring+oil upgrade.
Another place I contacted is a dedicated suspension modding company (Zedling), yet to hear back from them.
Old 20th February 2020, 11:43   #1739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
The gentleman in question lives in Mumbai so i am not sure if i can test ride his Motorcycle. I have ordered Liqui Moly 7W fork oil and will be looking at changing the oil this weekend or so, will be giving and update after the change.
CarManMotorcycl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 11:51   #1740
BHPian

Quote:
The gentleman in question lives in Mumbai so i am not sure if i can test ride his Motorcycle. I have ordered Liqui Moly 7W fork oil and will be looking at changing the oil this weekend or so, will be giving and update after the change.

Before that are you on the recommended front tyre pressure at 32 psi? Please try reducing it to 27-28 and go for a spin. Share your experience.

Keep sailing,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks