Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2019, 21:49   #706
BHPian

Just got my interceptor back from the first service and look forward to up the revs from 4000 to 6000 for the second band of running in. Some low hanging fruit - moved the handlebar back by about 15 degrees - so can reach it better and also twist it better - and put on a set of grip puppies - as I felt the original grips were to narrow. Much much better.
Old 28th April 2019, 15:13   #707
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

WAKE UP SID!!!!

Been there done that, but ENOUGH is ENOUGH

@ Sid Lal, wake up and smell the coffee Sir, your passion to expand without decent quality of service cannot continue for ever at this rate.

2005 bought a RE 500 CC, long story short, my wife fondly calls it Jinxie, as every time I take her out something or the other breaks down, even this morning (no.. I did not wake up at night) ... my carb was flooded, took a lot of kicks to resolve it.

When the Interceptor bookings opened in Nov 2018, I put my money down on INT 650 and was pleasantly surprised on Jan 26th that the vehicle has been dispatched, after two futile attempts to make payment (the dealer was refusing to accept the payment)

The dealer was offering me a cash payment option, 192 Cash and the rest white, the RE Area Sales Manager thought this is acceptable as nowhere did the dealer say it has to be black money, all that they said is that they can accept 192K INR as cash, this is not a crime. The nexus need not be discussed, but yes the people make the difference not the product.

I finally picked up the vehicle on 20th April, a slight delay due to my choice number. Here again the problem was not with the product, but with the people.

Guess what seven days later, today is Diwali, the alternator fuse is blowing up.

All these days when auto enthusiasts and others used to write that RE quality is below standard, the dealer networks are not up to the mark etc. etc. used to think why do people have such closed minds, today after my 30km day old Interceptor has died on me, I am still not blaming the product, but the people behind the product, who are thinking so what if there are a few quality problems, the Indians will learn to live with it.

There seems to be no agile method for Quality management at RE. Nobody want to accept responsibility for a lemon they have put out in the market.

I am sure the mantra at RE HQ for domestic markets is, even if an Indian wants to sue me, thanks to the judiciary system, it will be a few decades before the case comes up for hearing.

Trying to reach out to somebody at Royal Enfield and guess what, in-spite of formal complaints being lodged, there is no response from anybody Responsible at RE...

Can anybody on the forum help me connect up with Officials at RE , much appreciated in Advance
shivshanker is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th April 2019, 15:22   #708
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
Trying to reach out to somebody at Royal Enfield and guess what, in-spite of formal complaints being lodged, there is no response from anybody Responsible at RE...

Can anybody on the forum help me connect up with Officials at RE , much appreciated in Advance
Sorry to hear about this, have you written to the Royal Enfield customer care? With my motorcycle related issues, when I reached out to them through emails they were very responsive and the company officials reached out to me quickly.

Alternatively, you can try to reach out to Royal Enfield's management through LinkedIn. That worked for me when I had some issues with their online store. Twitter is the most popular avenue for complaints these days, that should also bring some attention to your issues.
Old 28th April 2019, 16:30   #709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
On closer inspection it was found that the puncture was on the inner side (the side that faces the rim) right on the joint of the tube and not on the side that faces the tyre/road. we checked the rim for any abnormalities, all was fine till we checked the size of the tube provided

The Pirelli tyre size is 100/90 18, whereas the tube provided is of Ceat which is 3'00 18.
I understand that the same scenario happened with a TBHPian in Bangalore today morning.

The tube - same size and brand as mentioned above, suffered a joint failure.

RE RSA or Puncture Assistance attended the vehicle and set him on his way

I think it indicates a joint failure resulting from the use of a mis-matching tube and tyre. Specially the joint failure.

May be RE needs to add this to their list problems to their list of things to investigate and set right on the twin.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2019, 12:00   #710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautam99 View Post
My booking was also re assigned from cvs to another dealer. There is some issue between CVS and RE, apparently
From what a little green birdie told me - CVS isn't following the proper protocols set by RE for the twins. Hence delay and problems in delivery.
Captain Slow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 10:47   #711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
From what a little green birdie told me - CVS isn't following the proper protocols set by RE for the twins. Hence delay and problems in delivery.

Even i have booked my ravishing red with CVS motors kalyan nagar, but it was reassigned to Teknik Motors Indiranagar and got the bike on 26th.

Getting used to the weight of the bike! And the foot pegs are fine for my height. Wish the fuel gauge showed at least 50% accuracy

Wanted to install fork gaiters and sump guard, but both not available in Stock.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20190426_170808.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20190426_180016.jpg  

motor_breathing is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 11:11   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautam99 View Post
My booking was also re assigned from cvs to another dealer. There is some issue between CVS and RE, apparently
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
What a terrible mistake to do. Twins are selling like hot cake and CVS is missing all the business. Anyway, manager at HSR gave me a very diplomatic answer when asked what exactly happened and it is totally understandable. Besides, I was in no mood to dig further as my motorcycle was almost ready for delivery.

Delivery experience was really nice. While the vehicle was getting prepared for delivery, I was explained about the documents - Road Tax Invoice and the 5 yrs insurance. I checked the Engine and Chassis number on both the documents letter by letter. A quick explanation of the user's manual was given. Everything was neatly bundled and handed over to me in a small pouch. An open face MLG helmet of matte black color was given to me. Then was cake cutting, followed by a ceremonial unveiling of the vehicle by me. It really was a nice touch. Felt extremely happy even though I had already seen the motorcycle and done the PDI on Saturday After a couple of photos, Store's manager took over and gave a small demo of the bike explaining the essentials. Chassis and Engine number on the vehicle were matched with what was printed in documents. Apparently 2 litres if petrol comes from the factory and 4 more litres were filled in front of me. I had already got the large engine guard fitted and took the sump guard with me as they said they'll need to take it to the workshop to fit it. Took couple of more walk-arounds and checked everything from my PDI checklist.

After thanking the staff and a warm handshake with Store's manager Mr.Lakshmeesh, rode it home which was about 22kms from the dealership. The engine was heating up in traffic but was not an irritation as such. Was surprisingly easy to maneuver in the city traffic although I need some more time to get used to it. Felt a little awkward when people were staring at it in the signals. I just love the exhaust note while idling more than running. Gear shifts are a little hard, expect them to get better by the time I finish 1500-2000 kms. No false neutrals or any such issues as of now. Given how revv-friendly the machine is, its going to be a hard task to run-in

All in all, as far as the Monday of this week is considered, I'm a happy man.
LazyGunner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 15:01   #713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
My GT650 shut off itself twice in last 4 days, once at a trafiic signal while in neutral and today early morning in 6th gear at around 60kmph. not sure what happened but both the time .....

Anyone with similar experience or heard about this from someone?

-Pramod

Quoting my self here, the bike is not staring anymore, looks like the fuel pump is not priming and might have gone kaput. Previous instance might have been the indication of pump getting off intermittently and now it gone for good Service center is sending technician to check but I suspect the worse and would be looking for a fuel pump replacement under warranty.

People do check you fuel pump for any such indication, will update the thread once i know for sure.

-Pramod
pramods is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 18:05   #714
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Quoting my self here, the bike is not staring anymore, looks like the fuel pump is not priming and might have gone kaput. Previous instance might have been the indication of pump getting off intermittently and now it gone for good Service center is sending technician to check but I suspect the worse and would be looking for a fuel pump replacement under warranty.
Not sure if i missed something but why such a strong suspect towards fuel pump? Was there some fault diagnosed earlier with it? Bike stalling could be due to various reasons including weak battery, bad alternator, bad fuel/clogged injectors, ECU bug etc. fuel pump not priming also means not getting enough juice. Did u check battery health with a volt meter? Are lights and horn functioning normal with ignition on? Have a look at the fuse as well.
Old 2nd May 2019, 19:55   #715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
N.... Did u check battery health with a volt meter? Are lights and horn functioning normal with ignition on? Have a look at the fuse as well.

Yes, everything else fuse and battery voltages checked and seems normal, I don't hear the fuel pump priming any more. Same pump, same fuel with my R1200GSA and Alto are working fine, never faced any problem.

As reported before the bike was stalling in 6 gear, worse was not starting in gear/motion, have to stop, kill the engine and get the key out to start again after few minutes. Nonetheless mobile service which was supposed to attend has not yet showed up, will follow up with them tomorrow and wait for final diagnosis, till then I suspect the worse(fuel pump, as everything else seem to work).

-Pramod
Old 2nd May 2019, 21:44   #716
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, everything else fuse and battery voltages checked and seems normal, I don't hear the fuel pump priming any more. Same pump, same fuel with my R1200GSA and Alto are working fine, never faced any problem.

As reported before the bike was stalling in 6 gear, worse was not starting in gear/motion, have to stop, kill the engine and get the key out to start again after few minutes. Nonetheless mobile service which was supposed to attend has not yet showed up, will follow up with them tomorrow and wait for final diagnosis, till then I suspect the worse(fuel pump, as everything else seem to work).

-Pramod

It will be interesting to hear what the source of the problem is. Be sure to let us know.

The most likely cause of the fuel pump malfunction is, a wiring connector is loose and no longer fully plugged in. The connector at the fuel pump is the most likely suspect.
A loose connection in the wiring can also cause intermittent stumbling and misfiring in the engine not only at an idle but as you ride the motorcycle.

Another likely suspect is the fuel pump electrical relay.
This small plug in relay is activated by the ECU and it supplies the electrical power to the pump.
There are often several of these relays with one of them counting on another one to activate. If one of them is defective it can prevent another relay from turning on.

The lest likely part that is causing the problem in the system is the fuel pump. These fuel pumps are usually pretty Bullet Proof. (A bit of humor, even if we aren't talking about a Bullet.)
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 09:22   #717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
I..

The most likely cause of the fuel pump malfunction is, a wiring connector is loose and no longer fully plugged in. The connector at the fuel pump is the most likely suspect.
A loose connection in the wiring can also cause intermittent stumbling and misfiring in the engine not only at an idle but as you ride the motorcycle.

Thanks for the details, if its not attend today then will do these checks myself tomorrow and update once fixed. Its 46+ deg C days here in Nagpur, so I am not worried about riding anyway.

-Pramod
Old 3rd May 2019, 09:28   #718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, everything else fuse and battery voltages checked and seems normal,
The twins unlike the UCE or the Himalayan has a better FI system from Bosch, the former being Keihin, could be one of a case though. As Jim suggested, it would be a good idea to check for loose connections.
Old 3rd May 2019, 14:06   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post

Another likely suspect is the fuel pump electrical relay.

Spot on, relay was the problem fuel pump is as healthy as new. Bike has been fixed and returned. Thanks for your information, will keep this in mind and may help other with similar symptoms.

-Pramod
pramods is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 22:35   #720
Distinguished - BHPian

For those of you who may be experiencing problems with the electrical system on your motorcycle or scooter, after checking the connectors to make sure they are fully inserted and the fuses to make sure one of them hasn't blown out, the electrical relays are the next item to investigate.

When you turn on the ignition key they should make a faint "click" sound as they activate.

The relays used by Royal Enfield and I suspect almost all of the other motorcycle/scooter makers are the same relays that are used in a automobile.

In a car or truck, they are used to provide the electrical power for the power windows, cooling/heater fan, power seats, defrosting window heaters, windshield wipers and lots of other things.

They are pretty standard items. That is, there are only a couple of different designs so, these relays should be available at any store that supplies parts for cars and trucks.

They look like little square black boxes measuring about 27mm X 27mm X 25 mm tall.
They have 5 prongs sticking out of the bottom of them and these plug into a mating connector, usually firmly attached to the vehicle.

They don't cost a lot of money and having one or two extra ones "just in case" is a good idea. After all, as I said, these things are used in your car or truck as well as on your motorcycle so, for instance, if your cars air conditioner stops working and the fuse is still good, your spare relay might save the day and get it working again.

I don't have any information about the part numbers of relays in India but usually a dealer will have a listing for a cross reference of part numbers. If he does, ask him to see if he has a relay that would be the same as a NAPA AR272. That is the relay number I have for my 2011, Royal Enfield G5 (UCE Electra).
ArizonaJim is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks