Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2011, 20:56   #211
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda's 250cc Bike : CBR250R!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -NUT-case View Post
Yes i agree to that. But if it is such a leap forward ,why are the manufacturers not giving them as standard equipment especially when it can potentially save lives. Is it maybe because it will eat into their profit? / Too costly to implement ? or maybe they want to milk as much profit as they can out of this newer technology before putting in R&D to make it cheaper.
Who wants to save lives ? No one is even bothered. If they were they would have come out with stringent road safety and vehicle compliance laws.

Quote:
On a different note how many bikes had disc brakes a few years back. Now it has become common place because it has become part of the standard package.
I do not feel that we have the infrastructure for Disc brakes. Very few countries have. I have fallen over because of disc brakes having worked fine over gravel. It is not a necessary or 'a will not do without 'feature. That should be an option actually and the required safety features to save lives should be mandatory. Life is cheap....one gone 20 more will come, no worries.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 12th January 2011 at 20:58.
Old 12th January 2011, 21:35   #212
BHPian

I am curious about how "neccessary" is the ABS as I have booked CBR250R and have to make a decision on which version to go. I believe Ninja 250 does not have ABS and it is supposed to be a more track oriented bike compared to CBR250R which is more of a tourer/commuter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Yes, compared to the cost of the bike. It could very well be the right price since I don't think Honda is cheating here, but also, it makes the bike have impressive specs-good for marketing. But is it really needed, maybe not for 250CC and Rs.30,000 is a lot of dough for me.
Old 12th January 2011, 22:29   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On a different note how many bikes had disc brakes a few years back. Now it has become common place because it has become part of the standard package.
True because people's perception about Disc brakes have changed & people are more aware today than they were today. Besides the bikes have grown powerful & for the extra price for power people except extra safety too.

Quote:
But this is in the hyper-premium segment /cutting edge. So if a company offers it at a 1 Lakh premium on a 1.5 lakh bike, would people still call you stupid for not opting for it .
I am not clear here what your question is,

1) should one spend 1 lakh more for ABS?
OR
2) Would people call you stupid for not going for ABS?

Anyways one shouldnt be bothered about what people have to say. At the end its one's own choice which could be influenced by constraints e.g. almost all mid to the premium cars today provide ABS/Airbags as option, people buy it based on their preference & budget constraints.

Having said that one can't deny that these safety features do make a difference, but should go for them or not is a very subjective matter, which each individual needs to take specially when there is noticeable difference in the price
Old 13th January 2011, 00:10   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I am not clear here what your question is,

1) should one spend 1 lakh more for ABS?
OR
2) Would people call you stupid for not going for ABS?
No 2 is what i meant and i was talking about airbags being offered for 1 L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Anyways one shouldnt be bothered about what people have to say.

Having said that one can't deny that these safety features do make a difference, but should go for them or not is a very subjective matter, which each individual needs to take specially when there is noticeable difference in the price
If only everyone would be as understanding as you of other peoples choices !

Here is a good looking modded CBR250R
Honda's 250cc Bike : CBR250R!-ui2ik7378059107viewattth12d4f581049.jpg

List of mods done on this bike :

1. Bermbo Racing break master cylinder
2. Stainless Break line "K-Product" Front 24"/ Rear 15"
3. Front Disc Break From CBR600RR (with little modification)
4. Rear Disc Break "Arashi"
5. Clutch Master cylinder Bermbo
6. Rear Mirror "Koso Blade"
7. "Active" throttle Kit
8. LED Turn Signal
9. Oil cap bolt "K-Product"
10. New Engine Start Button
11. Fuel cap decal
12. DID 520 Gold Chain
13. Bizumo Titanium Slip-on
14. Rearset CBR250i

Last edited by -NUT-case : 13th January 2011 at 00:14.
Old 13th January 2011, 01:02   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If only everyone would be as understanding as you of other peoples choices !
Why Bother? its your money after all, if anyone complains, ask them to pay the difference
Old 13th January 2011, 07:51   #216
BANNED

One thing which the new CBR250R can certainly ask for would be a better sounding exhaust. The engine sound is very nicely controlled for such a bike but it sounds wimpy.
Old 14th January 2011, 06:54   #217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by altius View Post
I am curious about how "neccessary" is the ABS as I have booked CBR250R and have to make a decision on which version to go. I believe Ninja 250 does not have ABS and it is supposed to be a more track oriented bike compared to CBR250R which is more of a tourer/commuter.
See it this way- One small skid and crash will set you back by more than the 30k they are asking for ABS. Why not get the full kit then?

Dont get it wrong. CBR250R will have fantastic brakes even without ABS. But our road conditions are not so fantastic!
Old 14th January 2011, 07:55   #218
BANNED

For experienced, cost conscious rider, Non-ABS model should suffice just fine.

For newer riders, graduating from 10-15 bhp commuter bikes, or first timers, ABS would definitely be the way to go.

Imagine the added safety during monsoons, over poor road surfaces, gravelly roads, etc. These are all situations where brake distribution and ABS will save your hide.

ABS on bikes is proven technology the world over, and it is pointless arguing its benefits, really. The only debate is whether you feel like shelling out the extra 30k for you/your pillion's safety.

Ride Safe.
Old 14th January 2011, 12:30   #219
BHPian

Imagine panic braking even at 50 kph on a village road over a nice spread of muddy water and cow dung.

The brakes will lock, the tyres will loose traction and the biker will loose control of the bike. ABS will save by not locking the tyres, rest will still be up to the rider on how he/she controls the bike.

Also imagine the rain pouring down and the car braking in front of you suddenly. Any wheel lock will make your bike skid. ABS will prevent that. What ABS wont prevent (probably) is the rider rear ending the car, and the ensuing fight .

So yes, ABS is good, but what is not good is the 30K to shell beyond the non-ABS version. For some of us, it really is a big amount to spend which could potentially be saved for for a second hand scooter/commuter to ride in the monsoons!

15k beyond non-ABS version is a no-brainer. Honda has not yet declared the pricing (at least officially), and I really hope (probably in vain) that Honda will give us the extra equipment without breaking our banks.
Old 16th January 2011, 13:59   #220
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Called up Uday honda, new delhi. They have launching 2 models one with abs for 1.8 and other w/o abs for 1.5 ex showroom. The booking amount is Rs 5000/- only.

I am going to the showroom to book one and update the details soon.
Old 16th January 2011, 15:40   #221
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Booked CBR250R ABS. Ex showroom cost 1.8L. Test Drive and delivery in April 11.
Brochure and other details not yet available. Got a tech sheet which is same as honda website.
Old 16th January 2011, 16:55   #222
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Here is a good looking modded CBR250R
Thats a nice looking bike. Looks very sporty compared to the stock design!
Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Booked CBR250R ABS. Ex showroom cost 1.8L. Test Drive and delivery in April 11.
Brochure and other details not yet available. Got a tech sheet which is same as honda website.
Congrats! Great to see people booking the ABS version! Hopefully, this will come down to smaller bikes too, in the future.

One stupid question from my side- Will this bike need metal numberplate (as in R15) + sari guard to get it registered as per RTO rules?
Old 16th January 2011, 17:25   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thats a nice looking bike. Looks very sporty compared to the stock design!

Congrats! Great to see people booking the ABS version! Hopefully, this will come down to smaller bikes too, in the future.

One stupid question from my side- Will this bike need metal numberplate (as in R15) + sari guard to get it registered as per RTO rules?
Do they check these when you get a 2 wheeler registered?
When,i bought my Zma,first thing i did,was remove saree guard before taking the delivery.
But yes it will come with one for Sure,if R1 can have it,why not a CBR250.
Old 16th January 2011, 21:01   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
For newer riders, graduating from 10-15 bhp commuter bikes, or first timers, ABS would definitely be the way to go.
+1 It is easy for newcomers to heavier bikes (and stronger brakes) to lock the brakes in panic situations.

Also, if you intend to ride the bike fast, get ABS. It isn't eay to stop from 100+ kmph in a panic situation without locking the brakes, no matter how experienced a rider you are.

Another plus point with ABS: you can brake AND swerve with ABS, I believe, which is generally not possible with non-ABS brakes.

But I hope the 250r has a way of switching off the ABS, because the ABS causes very poor braking when off-road riding on dirt-tracks.

Last edited by Rollin' Thunda : 16th January 2011 at 21:06.
Old 17th January 2011, 12:37   #225
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post
+1 It is easy for newcomers to heavier bikes (and stronger brakes) to lock the brakes in panic situations.

Also, if you intend to ride the bike fast, get ABS. It isn't eay to stop from 100+ kmph in a panic situation without locking the brakes, no matter how experienced a rider you are.

Another plus point with ABS: you can brake AND swerve with ABS, I believe, which is generally not possible with non-ABS brakes.

But I hope the 250r has a way of switching off the ABS, because the ABS causes very poor braking when off-road riding on dirt-tracks.
A bad example to quote for ABS if you are going at 100kmph and want to do panic breaking, what makes you think ABS will save you? Don't ever get into that situation.

Off-roading with this bike? very good luck, and have loads of $$ in our wallet!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks