Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2012, 09:40   #2791
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by methilsunkara View Post
Just found a link of an Australian review that says
"The export XUV500 is also made using galvanised steel imported from South Korea, while the local version makes do with Indian-made non-galvanised steel."

Mahindra 2012 XUV500 - Mahindra primes first SUV for Australia | GoAuto
Typical Indian double standard mentality of sucking up the Goras and two fingers to the locals. Good stuff for them and make do for us ! Sure that there must be a great difference in the overall quality of local and export models.
Bad Mahindra!
Old 15th July 2012, 09:40   #2792
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavdalal View Post
Which gear did you select for this, could not use both the features mentioned by you during my 2 lonavala trips

as the 1st service is due next week, have not bothered to take it to A.S.S for investigation
Hill-Hold is working as intended for me.

Have not tried the HDC on my car. During TD it was working fine in 1st and 2nd gear. As per the owner's manual, it works below speeds of 45 kmph and can be engaged even in the Neutral gear!

Will try it out on Monday, at the office ramp.
Old 15th July 2012, 10:44   #2793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Yes, power is transferred to the rear wheels only when the front tyres lose grip. Compared to full time 4WD, this offers better fuel efficiency.

There is a 4WD Lock button, so you can power all the wheels if you want to, like the Fortuner.
Quote:
Can someone explain the AWD feature in the XUV500? How does it work exactly. I heard that even in AWD, power is transfered to back wheels only when traction is lost in the front. For all regular purposes its a FWD. The fortuner with full time 4WD is completely different. Is that correct?
So what are the advantages of the AWD over the normal FWD XUV variants?
4WD lock ensures that power goes to all 4 wheels but in the absence of a deferential lock or LSD, all the torque tends to go to the wheel which may loose grip(with least traction) and making it to spin. That would be the difference between the AWD systems on Fortuner (which also has low range) and XUV. Experts please correct if I am wrong.

Last edited by Guna : 15th July 2012 at 10:46.
Old 15th July 2012, 11:04   #2794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
There are 2 different features. Hill Hold is automatic and can not be turned on or off by the user. When going up-hill, if you stop the vehicle, Hill-hold comes into play when you start from that position. Hill-hold applies the brake for 4 seconds, which gives you time for moving your foot from the brake to the accelerator, without the vehicle rolling backwards. Not very sure what grade of incline is understood by the vehicle as 'hill', but in my experience, it has worked in all situations, where the possibility of rolling-back existed.

Hill descent control, is a manual feature and can be turned on or off. While going down-hill, hill-descent-control would automatically provide enough for the accelerator and the brake so that you can take your feet completely off from all the 3 pedals and the vehicle would still come down in a controlled fashion.
Hope this helps
Thanks, but for me it seems that the Hill-hold doesn't really work on some occasions. I almost backed into a parked car while trying to park the car on an inclined slope!! Need to get used to the clutch!!

The Hill descent control is an ok-ok feature in my honest opinion. It basically slows down the car if your within the prescribed limit of 30-40kmph. Above that it switches off.
Old 15th July 2012, 17:03   #2795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princey View Post
Typical Indian double standard mentality of sucking up the Goras and two fingers to the locals. Good stuff for them and make do for us ! Sure that there must be a great difference in the overall quality of local and export models.
Bad Mahindra!
Quote:
Just found a link of an Australian review that says
"The export XUV500 is also made using galvanised steel imported from South Korea, while the local version makes do with Indian-made non-galvanised steel."

Mahindra 2012 XUV500 - Mahindra primes first SUV for Australia | GoAuto
Maybe XUV owners could talk to their relationship managers and verify if mahindra has made changes and improved reliability.
Old 15th July 2012, 23:15   #2796

An accident has been reported recently and the passenger died due to the failure of side airbags in the XUV500. As reported in local newspapers, an omni bus hit the XUV's the rear door and the collision made a hole in the side air bag. While a collision can cause serious damage to the vehicle and air bag failure, is there a possibility that the XUV's body and design is fragile and make it more easy to pierce the air bag? Check the link below:

TN: PMK leader dies in midnight accident - The New Indian Express
darkX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 07:56   #2797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkX
An accident has been reported recently and the passenger died due to the failure of side airbags in the XUV500. As reported in local newspapers, an omni bus hit the XUV's the rear door and the collision made a hole in the side air bag. While a collision can cause serious damage to the vehicle and air bag failure, is there a possibility that the XUV's body and design is fragile and make it more easy to pierce the air bag? Check the link below:

TN: PMK leader dies in midnight accident - The New Indian Express
I see that the side airbags have been deployed, i am not sure why it is called a failure of the airbags, the airbags do deflate once they deploy, was the person sitting behind belted up?

Last edited by anandtheleo : 16th July 2012 at 07:57.
anandtheleo is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 09:46   #2798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkX View Post
Could this have been the cause! They're saying he was concious after the collision and called ambulance.

Quote:
Eyewitnesses claimed that Arivuselvan was lying on the left side of the car near the rear door when the accident occurred.The omni bus directly hit the rear door on which Arivuselvan was resting his head, they said.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 10:37   #2799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan

Could this have been the cause! They're saying he was concious after the collision and called ambulance.
Looks like he was sleeping on the second row seat without engaging the seat belt. In such cases the airbag itself can kill you or the force of the impact can break your neck. The xuv shown in the picture seems to have taken the impact very well.

Last edited by dockap : 16th July 2012 at 10:39.
dockap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 11:29   #2800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
I see that the side airbags have been deployed, i am not sure why it is called a failure of the airbags, the airbags do deflate once they deploy, was the person sitting behind belted up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
Looks like he was sleeping on the second row seat without engaging the seat belt. In such cases the airbag itself can kill you or the force of the impact can break your neck. The xuv shown in the picture seems to have taken the impact very well.
In fact if he was sleeping by leaning against the door / window glass, I am certain the deployment of airbag would have hit his head, or the time delay between the side impact to the time airbag is deployed, the window glass broke and he sustained injury due to that.

Matter of fact, I would really love if M&M could sort of investigate this from the vehicle / airbag deployment perspective and throw light on what would have caused the death of the occupant. Something like the Air crash investigation folks do, but probably they may not have all the data like an aircraft, but by looking at the picture and the actual vehicle, then the person [well he is no more, but if they can get pictures of the injury], with all these in place, they can identify what happened.

I may be speculating if this is possible, but if it is done, all XUV owners will be delighted to know what they "SHOULD DO" and "SHOULD NOT DO" while travelling in the vehicle that has side curatins. This is most important as people tend to lean agains the glass / door while sleeping, especially night travel.
krishnaraja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 14:58   #2801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post

Even if that fails - like some mebers have done, please post a Strong Word in the XUV5OO Facebook page. This is directly monitored my Anand Himself. You will 200% receive a response if you post in facebook..

Had posted to Anand Mahindra on twitter and Facebook page. On the basis, got a call today from Mahindra Cochin office with some shocking news.. The delivery date assigned is in January 2013... . I had booked on June 13th and tHat would be a wait of 7-8 months. And the delivery would be made earlier in case of any cancellations. Called up the TVS dealer. At the time of booking they had confirmed a max waiting period of 4 months and now they are beating around the bush.

IS it worth waiting that long for this car. My current car would lose the market value further by the time, which in turn means lesser down payment. Other cars would be coming into the market with most of the so called hi-fi technologies incorporated and in the same price range by this time.. Totally confused. If I cancel, I lose 5k..

This is really pathetic. If they cant deliver then they should inform the dealers not to make such commitments and give back the total booking amount rather than trying such cheap gimmicks to get the business. Looks like Mahindras marketing team just wanted to advertise the high booking numbers in the first few days and asked the dealers to give false delivery date promises. And now we either go by their terms or lose 5k by cancellation. Either way the customer is the loser.

FundaG
Old 16th July 2012, 15:08   #2802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Had posted to Anand Mahindra on twitter and Facebook page. On the basis, got a call today from Mahindra Cochin office with some shocking news.. The delivery date assigned is in January 2013... . FundaG
I agree that its too long a time to wait. But I feel Mahindra is in a Catch - 22 position with regards to booking. Earlier they were panned for closing the booking, next was the lottery fiasco. Now when the booking are opened, they are not setting the expectation right for delivery dates.
Old 16th July 2012, 16:04   #2803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie

Had posted to Anand Mahindra on twitter and Facebook page. On the basis, got a call today from Mahindra Cochin office with some shocking news.. The delivery date assigned is in January 2013... . I had booked on June 13th.

FundaG
Well i certainly feel shocked. I booked on 11th june and there is no response from dealer or cust care. I guess they are avoiding as they do not have the means to complete the orders in reasonable time period.

I was also assured 3-4 months by sales guy. But now even i feel that only way to get a promised date is to tweet Mr Mahindra.

Well thats how we are treated by these companies. They have a winner (XUV) and we need them.Sad but consumer is always helpless in my country.
Old 16th July 2012, 16:14   #2804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
I agree that its too long a time to wait. But I feel Mahindra is in a Catch - 22 position with regards to booking. Earlier they were panned for closing the booking, next was the lottery fiasco. Now when the booking are opened, they are not setting the expectation right for delivery dates.
It is a pretty long time considering I had booked within 5 days of the restart of the booking on June 8th. If I am given a 8 month wait period, what would be the probable delivery dates of people who had booked after me and booking nowadays. Any idea if TVS could have delayed passing over the booking info to Mahindra resulting in such a long waiting period.

The funny part was when I expressed my unhappiness over such a long waiting period, both M&M executive and the TVS executuve's next question was - Sir, do you want to cancel. Clearly shows they are least bothered if I cancel as they get my 5k and can assign the vehicle to the next person in line. If I consider all the cancellations due to the wrong expectations given to the customers, Mahindra and the dealers would be making a cool sum this way itself.

Out of frustration, arrived at this calculation on the waiting period. M&M had ramped up their production by 4000 units per month. And I heard the booking this time around was around 20000+ so far. So even if I am the 20000th person booking I should be expecting delivery within 4-5 months or lesser. If there were a lot of pending bookings from the lotto days, then Mahindra should have made it fairly clear that delivery for new bookings would start only post these pending deliveries were completed and told all dealers to state the same and mention waiting periods accordingly.

FundaG
Old 16th July 2012, 16:22   #2805
Senior - BHPian

^^ I have heard/read somewhere that the allocation this time is per city basiss, based on some volume/history/dealers, they have decided to give some quota to each city/location/region. Check that out with you dealer and that may help you calculate it better. IMO, January 2013 is way to long a waiting period. They should be able to delivery it before considering the increased production capacity and considering all previous bookings have been delivered.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks