Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2017, 20:12   #7771
BHPian

I am about to take my XUV500 for 1st paid service. No major issues observed, have done around 26K kms only. How much bill I should expect ?
Old 27th December 2017, 21:22   #7772
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgupta View Post
How much bill I should expect ?
The 30k service doesn't require Engine air filter or oil change. Stay vigilant against engine coating or AC cleaning, and the bill amount will be within 2.5k to 3k.
Old 28th December 2017, 22:32   #7773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
The 30k service doesn't require Engine air filter or oil change. Stay vigilant against engine coating or AC cleaning, and the bill amount will be within 2.5k to 3k.

For me it was around 10k but engine oil and front brake pad was changed. Last oil change was more than a year ago hence got it done.
Old 30th December 2017, 00:41   #7774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post
You can easily charge a laptop or camera from these power outlets. I think the maximum power which you can draw is 120W
I've been using this inverter for a few years with my XUV 500. It works just fine. It is rated for 300w appliances but I don't think I have used it for charging devices other than cell phone and notebook.
http://tropicoolindia.com/product/kv...inverter-300w/

I'm planning to get the other inverter (http://tropicoolindia.com/product/10...inverter-24-v/) from the same company that is rated for devices up to 1000watts but that needs 24v input it seems, I'm trying to figure out what should I be doing to get that kind of input, an additional battery or something!!
Has anyone got any idea how to get the 24v dc in the car? My plan is to use a 400w blender in the car while on road trip.
Old 2nd January 2018, 18:17   #7775
BHPian

I got poor service done by anant cars, banerghatta road, bangalore. Within 1000 km of run post service, ac is not working, rear suspension making noise, service due warning on screen. I was happy with anant cars, new airport road, Bangalore. Will stick to them.
Old 17th April 2018, 20:45   #7776
BHPian

I have the older gen silver XUV500 W6 (2014 model) purchased in Apr 2014. I somehow always end up getting the 4 year itch with my vehicles. My last car a Hyundai i10 was also sold off between it's 4th and 5th year life with about 44k kms on the ODO. My XUV has been driven even lesser (35k on teh ODO currently) because my i10 for 2-3 years was driven in Delhi where average distance between places is higher vs Bangalore where the XUV has been driven apart from highway trips to Goa, Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Mumbai.

The car is still troublefree. However, a few things are now getting a bit more pronounced - may be because of my 4 year itch to buy a new set of wheels or probably because the car is now showing its age relative to the current crop of crossovers / SUVs. I'll list down a few and may be some of you can suggest ways to overcome it or suggest options that can fulfill the void.

1.) The very unimpressive infotainment. With so many cars coming with Android Auto, I now seriously miss that on my XUV because I can hardly find a phone mount that doesn't starts to wiggle after a few days and I don't trust any other navigation system other than Google Maps or Waze. I don't mind it being a non-touch (in fact I chose W6 especially because I didn't want the lethargic touch system of W8 and the electronic niggles at that time associated with the W8's), but I really need to find a way around that.

2.) The long travel of the clutch padel. I'm now really leaning towards an automatic due to the insane traffic in Bangalore. The long clutch travel of the XUV along with the notchy gearbox coupled with short gearing causing too many upshifts / downshifts in slow moving traffic, humps and potholes, is sucking out the driving pleasure and the comfort offered by the cabin.

3.) Bumpy ride. The XUV was never a plush rider. However, the tossing around of people in the cabin has increased significantly over time. I recently got the front wheels re-torqued and the first suspension struts tightened and it marginally improved the ride quality over bad roads. Still the side by side rolling of the XUV over bad roads and bottoming out of the suspension over sharper potholes (if you try to drive faster over rough patch to avoid that excessive rolling) is becoming bad. The springs and the struts as examined by the service center is still fine for all 4 wheels but the performance has certainly detoriated or may the areas I have to travel by have become worse in the road condition. I'm contemplating Rogerab installation to see if that improves the excessive sharp rolling of the vehicle side by side on rough patches.

4.) The always returning squeaks in the plastic around doorpads and dashboard. I drive my car carefully and keep it well maintained and I just can bear rattles. So if there is any of that I go to the MASS and get it fixed on priority. However they seemingly can't fix the squeaks. And those squeaks come and go on their own. However for whatever duration they stay they absolutely get on my nerves.

What I still love about the XUV is the amazing handling, low end grunt and pulling power and acres of space on 1st 2 rows. However it was time for me to look for alternatives. I have looked at Hexa XTA and Endeavor 2.2 + 3.2 Titanium. But instead of being straight forward they have made things more complicated.

A.) TATA HEXA experience -
1.) I can't even call the HEXA Infotainment any improvement from my XUV W6 unit. It's small, laggy and misses Android Auto. Sound is fine but after hours of twekaing to find the sweet spot, the XUV sound output from stock setup vs HEXA on bluetooth was only apart by 10%. I'm no audiophile but I have always listened to Bose system so I have an understanding of a balanced sound.

2.) Test drive vehicle was a 6 seater and the family loved the ride quality on both rows of the HEXA. I felt the side by side was almost non existent but pitching (vertical movement) was marginally more than the XUV but only during rough patches and at really high speeds.

3.) Hated driving dynamics and it may be strange vs. in general what the reviews say. Yes straight line stability is fine but still lane departure at triple didgit speeds is something I can't even imagine on the HEXA. XUV I can do it all day long on a highway. I get the monocoque vs ladder frame disparity but since it's a comparison I'm taking the liberty of stating the experience obvious to me. Too much body roll for my liking even by the standards of a big SUV with 200mm ground clearance. Even the steering was more vague for me vs the XUV. I think most XUV owners suffer from steering and wheel alignment issue (I agree that alignment on XUV is not easy) and hence have this perception of a worse steering input. Unless I satisfy myself in the test drives during alignments, I do not leave and that may be the reason for my experience. I have done that all the way since 2014 when I bought the car.

4.) Arm rest is a joke on HEXA for the driver. So is the front storage. Without a capable ICE and any place to store the phone, except the extremely limited space under the weird shaped armrest it makes the connectivity with technology even worse than my XUV.

5.) Interior quality. I do not know how people have percieved the interiors of HEXA to be more premium vs the XUV? There is scratchy hard plastic almost everywhere, ugly looking panel gaps, and extremly poor quality of faux leather used for the seats. It feels so fragile that even a person with longer nails can damage the faux leather seats. In the poorly maintained test drive vehicle (though I also sat in a new one in the showroom too), the driver seat had the bottom plastic come out resulting in a driver seat that would shake and move on rough patchy roads. Even the family concurred other than a few items here and there on the dashboard, everything else in HEXA seemed like ceaper plastic vs the XUV and not so tighly bolted together.

B.) Ford Endeavor experience -

I understood immediately after driving the Endy why does it sit a segment above the XUV and HEXA. It justifies its premium in every way. The Endy ticked almost all the boxes -
1.) Fantastice Sync3 ICE unit with Android Auto & Apple CarPlay
2.) Amazing ride quality. In fact it was significantly better than the HEXA (both me and the family agreed to this). I didn't get to stretch the legs of the Endy either on 2.2 or 3.2 but till 80 kmph it felt very flat in ride comfort. Even body roll was lesser than HEXA even though it's bigger and rides 225mm above the ground. The body roll in XUV is still the lowest I think but it's very close between XUV and Endy on body roll.
3.) What an auto gearbox and steering ! Shifts were quick, and steering was so precise. I love hydralic units like the one on the XUV. This is one of those rare EPS that pasted a smile on my face
4.) Family didn't like the reduced width of the bench on Endy along with a floor hump vs the XUV's wider bench with absolutely flat floor. It was surprising considering the Endy is significantly wider than XUV. Probabaly the effect of being tossed around on the XUV is a result of the rear bench almost rinding on rear wheel vs the Endy or Duster where you ride between the wheels and hence get a better ride comfort. Family didn't get all those technicalities but felt disappointed with 2nd row of a 35-40+ OTR vehicle.
5.) Isn't it expensive to move from C segment to D segment? I can't satisfy the family and even partially myself that whatever extra the Endy offers over XUV is worth the 20L jump over XUV?

I might take a look at the new XUV getting launched tomorrow but I dread the feeling of sittig in almost the same cabin for a decade if I buy the new XUV. The Mahindra Rexton G4 (Y400) or the XUV700 (whatever they may call it) is also something I wish to see. However, all reviews stating that it's too softly sprung along with that horrible manual mode on AT in Rexton like that on the XUV is such a downer already. The soft sprung vehcile with probably lesser performance than the "Cheetah" is kind of deja-vu with what happened with the earlier gen Rexton as well.

My options on which the rest of the BHPians can weigh in could look like -

1.) I need to take a second look at HEXA. I would really be surprised if it is indeed what I want from my SUV but I'll try not to be biased even after my experience and try to absorb the suggestions.

2.) What modifications I can do with my existing XUV so that I can save the relationship? I still love so many things on the XUV so may be a few problems sorted out or reduced can potentially increase it's longetivity in my garage.

3.) I should just shup and save for the Endy 3.2 or at least the Endy 2.2, period !
TORQUE_AANJANEY is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 08:00   #7777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUE_AANJANEY View Post
I

!

IMHO please take a good look at the VW Tiguan. It ticks a lot of requirements that you have stated above. It has a buttery smooth DSG gearbox with mind blowing high speed stability and handling. Ride quality is better than any other SUV in the same price band and it is extremely spacious for 5 people. Performance is good and the paddle shifters add to the experience. Safety is top notch with 6 airbags, ESP, traction control, ABS with EBD and BA, hill hold control, hill descent control, auto hold, and active hood. The 4motion full time 4 wheel drive makes light work of bad roads and adds to the stability. Unless 7 seats is an absolute requirement, you should strongly consider the Tiguan.
Old 18th April 2018, 12:14   #7778
BHPian

Quote:
I am in exactly the same boat as you and I have decided to go in for the Endy 3.2. Its such a good all rounder with no weaknesses except the fuel economy.
Just been waiting for the facelift.

You could also look at Compass if you dont need the extra seats or Crysta if you do. Its a bit expensive but good in almost all areas.
Old 18th April 2018, 13:05   #7779
BHPian

Going by your experience, i would say no number of test drives can change your image of the Hexa. The interior quality is way better than that of the XUV including the seats. But then, since perceptions vary, you will always have it in your mind. The best thing to do, now that you clearly are impressed with the Endeavour, is to extend your budget and go for it!

It is a segment above and after all, how many times do you buy a new car?! Buy something that has pulled at your heart!
Ps: we have loads of satisfied owners who shifted from XUV, perhaps they could comment here if they are reading this post.

Last edited by abhi7013 : 18th April 2018 at 13:07.
abhi7013 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 13:20   #7780
BHPian

Quote:
5.) Interior quality. I do not know how people have percieved the interiors of HEXA to be more premium vs the XUV? There is scratchy hard plastic almost everywhere, ugly looking panel gaps, and extremly poor quality of faux leather used for the seats. It feels so fragile that even a person with longer nails can damage the faux leather seats. In the poorly maintained test drive vehicle (though I also sat in a new one in the showroom too), the driver seat had the bottom plastic come out resulting in a driver seat that would shake and move on rough patchy roads. Even the family concurred other than a few items here and there on the dashboard, everything else in HEXA seemed like ceaper plastic vs the XUV and not so tighly bolted together.
I am not sure what kind of interior qualities you are looking at.

Hexa's interiors are class leading and the interiors have made other car companies to sit up and take action. Example: New XUV, which looks to be directly inspired from Hexa interiors.

I have driven Hexa for around 13K KM and there is nota single squeak in the car forget about rattle.

We are netizens and many people read our comments and take decisions. I think we have to be little sensitive to this.

-PK
pk_del is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 14:36   #7781
BHPian

Quote:
It would have been great if you had posted pictures of dashboard that you felt was cheap and fragile.I have driven both XUV and HEXA and the interiors in Hexa is much better.
praveen_n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 15:01   #7782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk_del View Post
I am not sure what kind of interior qualities you are looking at.

Hexa's interiors are class leading and the interiors have made other car companies to sit up and take action. Example: New XUV, which looks to be directly inspired from Hexa interiors.

I have driven Hexa for around 13K KM and there is nota single squeak in the car forget about rattle.

We are netizens and many people read our comments and take decisions. I think we have to be little sensitive to this.

-PK
It was my perception along with my wife, mom and dad. The central dashboard of Hexa from the AC vents till the HVAC controls is fine. It's in fact better than the XUV console till the car charger unit.

However the much praised top of the Hexa dashboard looked scratchy and hard. From a distance it looks better than the wavy plastic of the XUV but in closeness its texture and feel is similar to the plastic surrounded on the XUV front side air vents which is a downer even on the XUV.

The buttons around the Hexa infotainment feel too squishy and not tactile. The one on the XUV is more tactile though snugness of the fit (very minute wobbliness on the XUV) may be better on Hexa. But the fact that the pressure to be exerted to operate is inconsistent in Hexa (or it may be something to get used to) you have to look at the infotainment to confirm if it indeed got pressed, taking your attention away from the road. The touchscreen is so laggy and small, I would hesitate to use it while the vehicle is in motion.

The fit and finish of the plastics below the steering column is very poor in comparison with the XUV. If I consider the interior of a car in 3 layers, the top of the dashboard, mid of the dashboard until the steering column height / HVAC controls and then the area after the mid area till the armrest & pedals, I think Hexa trumps that of XUV only in the mid layer. It loses out on the remainder two.

I experienced a lot of rattles on the Hexa test drive vehicle (17k on the ODO) plus a 20k odd kilometers run vehicle of my friend. I understand that will come down to personal care but that will be true even with the XUV. I have not had rattles ever in my XUV and if at all I get one, it's fixed in a matter of minutes / hours at MASS and I think I have visited the MASS for rattles may be 4-5 times in 4 years of ownership, which is a pretty good number.

The plastic covering for the front seat base is too flimsy on the Hexa. It's not a single unit of hard durable plastic. It looks like an after thought application just like the plastic panel after the lower glovebox. The test drive vehicle had that snapped and it didn't look like it was too difficult to make it snap. Led to the front driver seat wobbling as the vehicle pitched and moved. That was a first for an experience for me in a 16L+ vehicle.

Lastly the lack of space to put your phone at the front was a big disappointment. The top of the dashboard is grainy plastic so only a windscreen phone mount is possible, which I don't quite prefer due to a larger blind spot it creates vs dashboard mounted (according to my driving position).

Also the non existent arm rest for the driver especially of shorter heights (like me) due to seats pulled a bit more forward was also a bit of a shocker. On an automatic without a usable armrest, the comfort in long drives is sucked out. It's sad it doesn't even slide forward to provide any adjustment.

The thickness of the mixture of perforated and plain faux leather on the seats is too thin and hence the durability concern. I have dogs as well hence I worry if they ever put their paws on the seat what's gonna happen. On a friend's W8 with leather seats, there was never a blemish. My W6 is also wrapped in after market faux leather and it's sturdiness also felt higher than that in the Hexa. No doubt the design, color and stiching is great on the Hexa, but if it won't stand the test of time, what's the use of the asthetics?

Make no mistake I'm still sold on the Hexa comfort in 2nd & 3rd row (family gave it a big thumbs up), it's ride quality over broken tarmac and the great auto gearbox which looks more upmarket than the XUV (including the method to engage manual shifts). Hence I'm still looking at ownership reviews of the Hexa. However it looks like a car I would prefer more if I'm chauffeur driven than driving myself. Everyone is taken care of except for much thought about the driver and driving ergonomics and feel good factor.
TORQUE_AANJANEY is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 16:46   #7783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Engine Coating and Ac cleaning along with Brake pad cleaning seem to be the favorite at Sireesh Auto Bangalore.

They charged be to change brake pads 2 services ago and last service again he mentioned about brake pads. I told them not to change , but they added in brake pad cleaning for 4k .

I didn't have time to go through the bill in detail until I got home. I was shocked to see 4k for brake pad cleaning.

I usually get it serviced every 10k KMS. The service bill was 15 k with 8k comming for labor alone.

Any other servicing scams service center's indulge in ?
Old 18th April 2018, 17:04   #7784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaktisarangi View Post
IMHO please take a good look at the VW Tiguan. It ticks a lot of requirements that you have stated above. It has a buttery smooth DSG gearbox with mind blowing high speed stability and handling. Ride quality is better than any other SUV in the same price band and it is extremely spacious for 5 people. Performance is good and the paddle shifters add to the experience. Safety is top notch with 6 airbags, ESP, traction control, ABS with EBD and BA, hill hold control, hill descent control, auto hold, and active hood. The 4motion full time 4 wheel drive makes light work of bad roads and adds to the stability. Unless 7 seats is an absolute requirement, you should strongly consider the Tiguan.
Thanks. Unfortunately soon we would have a need for a 6th seat as my son who is just a shade above 1 yr grows older and needs either his own seat or a place to fix the child seat. So unfortunately the Tiguan is not being considered. The lower ground clearance of 149mm is also a cause of worry in Bangalore with multiple broken tarmacs and gigantic speed breakers. Also the top variant is coming out the same as Endy 2.2 Titanium, which is a lot of more car for the same price of Tiguan. Yes I love getting pampered by the interiors like anyone but I still think Tiguan in it's current pricing isn't a VFM. It's for the same reason I had to completely stop even thinking about a Kodiaq or the upcoming Karoq. However, still thank you for you suggestion. Appreciated.
Old 18th April 2018, 17:40   #7785
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.
The lower ground clearance of 149mm is also a cause of worry in Bangalore with multiple broken tarmacs and gigantic speed breakers. Also the top variant is coming out the same as Endy 2.2 Titanium, which is a lot of more car for the same price of Tiguan. Yes I love getting pampered by the interiors like anyone but I still think Tiguan in it's current pricing isn't a VFM. It's for the same reason I had to completely stop even thinking about a Kodiaq or the upcoming Karoq. However, still thank you for you suggestion. Appreciated.

The ground clearance of the Tiguan is actually around 190 mm and is more than adequate for anything except the toughest off-road trails. With respect to VFM, IMHO the Tiguan comes with 4 wheel drive which the Endy lacks and the quality of interiors is at a different level altogether. The handling and performance is also better than the Endy. My suggestion is, take a test drive once and then you can decide.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks