Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2013, 14:55   #946
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

My car is due for 1st Free service tomorrow. She has done 15k kms in exactly 5 months. [16th Oct 2012 - 19th March 2013]

Only thing I am concerned is of breaks. Sometimes I hear weird sound and breaks do not apply properly. I have to try multiple times. I hear, Rapid breaks have some known problems and people have got it replaced under warranty. Not sure if I am eligible for it.

Today got call from Skoda asking about my vehicle performance and kms done. When I told about kms done, the lady immediately booked an appointment with Vinayaka Skoda (Okalipuram service center) for tomorrow.

So, anything need to be kept in mind?
Old 18th March 2013, 21:04   #947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
That's strange. Either they are confused and the SAs are not in sync, or they have some other fishy thing going on.

As i mentioned earlier they SA at Gurudev offered 11lac OTR for Elegance and i got a 11.2lac OTR for Vento Highline OTR from Sundaram. 20K difference seems too low. The price advantage of Rapid over Vento has diminished now.

20K more for the Vento MY2013 with RCD320, steering controls and more plush feel on Vento is a no-brainer. I was biased towards Rapid, but lacklustre attitude from Gurudev SAs and the TD of both cars back to back has made me a Vento fan.
Went to Gurudev Arumbakkam (Chennai) this evening and found out about new offer. They are asking 1.35L as down payment and skoda finance is offering 7.65L as loan. For first 12 months the EMI is just Re 1 (like VW Vento). Then from month 13-47 the EMI is 22652/-. In 48th month we have to pay the balloon payment of 2L. The thing is, within 12 months we can pre close the loan with 0% interest.

On discount front, they are ready to waiver the complete insurance (50% default and additional 50% if corporate). The OTR came around 11.08L and on further speaking they were ready to offer for 11L OTR.

The above said offer is for 2013 Model. The 8999 offer is still valid for 2012 model. They have 3 Red colour Elegance left with them (Nov 2012) for which they provide the 8999 offer or flat 1L discount.
narsi_6989 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 01:22   #948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Only thing I am concerned is of breaks. Sometimes I hear weird sound and breaks do not apply properly. I have to try multiple times. I hear, Rapid breaks have some known problems and people have got it replaced under warranty. Not sure if I am eligible for it.

Today got call from Skoda asking about my vehicle performance and kms done. When I told about kms done, the lady immediately booked an appointment with Vinayaka Skoda (Okalipuram service center) for tomorrow.

So, anything need to be kept in mind?
My car has done 16K+. I just did first service at 15K couple weeks ago. My car's brakes work like a charm, just as sharp as it was at the time of purchase. But, if you get any info about a batch issue please share with us. I believe they can catch such issues when doing scanning using the computer. My car is smoother after the service and more FE. The latest from a trip to Kerala from BLR was 19.6kpl. On the other hand, the cleaning was terrible. It appeared to me like someone had used one or two mugs of water and a dirty cloth to wash it. Please share your experience.
Old 19th March 2013, 06:30   #949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajni View Post
On the other hand, the cleaning was terrible. It appeared to me like someone had used one or two mugs of water and a dirty cloth to wash it.
Thanks for reminding! Their cleaning job is pathetic.

This time planning to take her directly to 3M Care out of service center for cleaning and detailing job.
Old 19th March 2013, 11:22   #950

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashishtrivedi View Post
I am going to be booking my Skoda Rapid Elegance this Sunday. Have been in constant touch with my sales representative from Autobahn Andheri West Bombay. He has categorically stated that the Elegance is very much available. So I guess it must be a rumour doing the rounds. Perhaps VW driven ;-)
I have finally booked the Rapid TDI Elegance on this Saturday :-) Feels good. Delivery is on the 27th of April, which also happens to be my wedding anniversary. Currently own a Maruti Ritz petrol, so the transition will take some time.
I must though, add the following brownie points -

1. Have received a total discount of Rs 50k on the 2013 Elegance model. Did not have to haggle at all over this. Was given by the SA.
2. Additionally, I have been give quite a sweet deal. Am gonna get a touch screen HU of Kaska installed which will also have a rear camera assist and a navigation system. The HU will have USB, SD card, ipod aux, and bluetooth compatibility. Will also be getting leather seats installed. All this by the Skoda team, so my warranty on the wiring does not expire :-) And more importantly, all this for only Rs 44,000/-. A killer of a deal there. This deal is on for only the months of March and April, as I have been given to understand. So anybody ruminating over buying a Rapid, this is the time!
Have also clarified about any new cars on the anvil. No changes are expected to the existing line of the Rapid at all. Any new models are also not planned for some time.

Already excited about driving my new car another month and a half from now :-)

Had a couple of questions -
1. Since I own a 1.2cc petrol car currently, what would be the changes required to my driving style especially with regards to changing gears, and on the road handling for the 1.6cc diesel Rapid.
2. Any specific query/concerns that I must address before taking delivery of the car?
aashishtrivedi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 11:35   #951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
and may need to be replaced at my cost. They quoted about 4800 for this. I have just done 9000kms so was surprised about this. Any feedback?

Secondly do just the oil and other consumables come up to rs.9000? This is my first skoda service and was surprised at such a high figure.
Regular wear and tear parts like brakes and clutch and not covered under warranty. However; scouring marks after just 9000km is not right and new brake discs should come under warranty. Please ask them why they are not honoring warranty.

Rs. 9000 sounds about right for scheduled maintenance for a diesel Rapid. Do wait for some more replies from owners of the Rapid.
Old 19th March 2013, 13:57   #952

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
My car is due for 1st Free service tomorrow. She has done 15k kms in exactly 5 months. [16th Oct 2012 - 19th March 2013]

Only thing I am concerned is of breaks. Sometimes I hear weird sound and breaks do not apply properly.
What kind of noise is it making, is it squealing noise, like metal rubbing against metal? If yes, this means your break-pads need to be replaced and if breaking is an issue then it should be replaced immediately. Break-pads have built in indicators which make this noise when the break pad thickness is less than ideal. I have seen break-pads being replaced around 20-25K. Maybe due to Bangalore traffic you have to break more often.
Old 19th March 2013, 21:37   #953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Rs. 9000 sounds about right for scheduled maintenance for a diesel Rapid. Do wait for some more replies from owners of the Rapid.
Yes, I too was quoted for about the same price for oil+other consumables. In fact, I think it is not so overpriced considering that you do the service only once in a year or every 15K. But, yes - generally Škoda's maintenance cost is higher than most others. Also, the labor cost. I just paid 1.5K as the fitting cost for the Škoda's original parking sensors which I bought from them only. So, for the very basic parking assister which costs just about 2.5K in the local market, I had to pay 5K (3.5K price + 1.5k fitting charge). The local guys gets it fitted for free of cost. But, you will lose the warranty due to wire cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro711 View Post
What kind of noise is it making, is it squealing noise, like metal rubbing against metal? If yes, this means your break-pads need to be replaced and if breaking is an issue then it should be replaced immediately. Break-pads have built in indicators which make this noise when the break pad thickness is less than ideal. I have seen break-pads being replaced around 20-25K. Maybe due to Bangalore traffic you have to break more often.
I now remember that I too had experienced brake noise with my old car (Swift). It was later found to be due to a very small stone managed to get in the brake caliper. This likely happened during a service. But, I didn't face any issues with braking performance other than the odd squealing sound from the caliper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser
I hear, Rapid breaks have some known problems and people have got it replaced under warranty. Not sure if I am eligible for it.
Did you manage to get an answer about the braking issue from the ASS.
Old 19th March 2013, 23:53   #954
Senior - BHPian

For the info of other Rapid owners posting my best pal's first service experience at Fahrenheit Auto, Delhi for his Rapid TDi's first service - 1year/15,000 kms. I tagged along with him and would term the service experience as satisfactory.

The service costed a total of 7300 INR in which included 4.5 lire engine oil, fuel filter, air filter, pollen filter, ac filter, screen wash and some misc. Good to know that unlike VW, Skoda doesnt charge labour for the first service. Already said a firm NO to stupid things like door locks lubrication and blah blah.

We had complained about the brake shuddering issue with his car as well and i must say that the warranty claim approval process with Skoda is painstakingly bad, similar case like .anshuman's Laura - infact we were at the service centre at 9 AM and could only move out by 6:30 PM. The warranty claim was sent for approval around 12 PM and it took a staggering 5:30 for the claim approval to come.

This is when Skoda already knows that the brake discs had issues with specific batches and they should change the discs for such cars with no questions asked. We asked for brake pads change as well but they refused and quoted a amount of 2600 for pads and 1300 labour so we refused, will mail Skoda about the incident and push for the replacement of pads under warranty, its their mistake and not the owner's that the disc went bad.

If it weren't for this disc replacement and a long 6 hours wait, the service centre was good and the whole staff was understanding and willing to help.
My turn in July to go for first service of my Vento, the VW ASC is just side by side - both share the same shed , hope the service levels are at par or better.
Old 20th March 2013, 00:26   #955
BHPian

Quote:
No, I could not go due to personal reasons. Leaving car tomorrow.

Will update probably by Thursday.
Old 20th March 2013, 10:29   #956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
The service costed a total of 7300 INR in which included 4.5 lire engine oil, fuel filter, air filter, pollen filter, ac filter, screen wash and some misc. Good to know that unlike VW, Skoda doesnt charge labour for the first service. Already said a firm NO to stupid things like door locks lubrication and blah blah.
Wow, that's so cool. I had to shell out some 9K+ for the service materials - oil + other stuffs. I should also probably look into avoid things like wheel balancing/alignment as I do it at Madhu's anyways. And the Škoda's charges are very high for the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
This is when Skoda already knows that the brake discs had issues with specific batches and they should change the discs for such cars with no questions asked. We asked for brake pads change as well but they refused and quoted a amount of 2600 for pads and 1300 labour so we refused, will mail Skoda about the incident and push for the replacement of pads under warranty, its their mistake and not the owner's that the disc went bad.
do you know what all batch (VIN) affected. I need to check it to be on the safer side. I don't have any braking issues though.
Old 20th March 2013, 12:31   #957
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like some pebble got stuck between breaks and that causing the sound. I have experienced it only twice till now. Problem with that is, breaks does not apply properly. Luckily, due to this never had any close calls till now.

Quote:
Today left my car for servicing. Mentioned about breaks sound. They will check and inform me later.

Total bill quoted is 8,500/-
7,000/- - Oil, Oil filter and other filters.
1,500/- - washing (interior only)

Have asked them to do just normal wash outside and foam wash interior.
Did not ask them for wheel balancing/alignment, anyways I take my car to Madhus.
Old 20th March 2013, 13:25   #958

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashishtrivedi View Post
I have finally booked the Rapid TDI Elegance on this Saturday :-) Feels good. Delivery is on the 27th of April, which also happens to be my wedding anniversary. Currently own a Maruti Ritz petrol, so the transition will take some time.
I must though, add the following brownie points -

1. Have received a total discount of Rs 50k on the 2013 Elegance model. Did not have to haggle at all over this. Was given by the SA.
2. Additionally, I have been give quite a sweet deal. Am gonna get a touch screen HU of Kaska installed which will also have a rear camera assist and a navigation system. The HU will have USB, SD card, ipod aux, and bluetooth compatibility. Will also be getting leather seats installed. All this by the Skoda team, so my warranty on the wiring does not expire :-) And more importantly, all this for only Rs 44,000/-. A killer of a deal there. This deal is on for only the months of March and April, as I have been given to understand. So anybody ruminating over buying a Rapid, this is the time!
Have also clarified about any new cars on the anvil. No changes are expected to the existing line of the Rapid at all. Any new models are also not planned for some time.

Already excited about driving my new car another month and a half from now :-)

Had a couple of questions -
1. Since I own a 1.2cc petrol car currently, what would be the changes required to my driving style especially with regards to changing gears, and on the road handling for the 1.6cc diesel Rapid.
2. Any specific query/concerns that I must address before taking delivery of the car?
Congratulations on your booking. I have shortlisted three cars, Verna, Rapid and Ecosport (may not be able to wait till launch), might end up buying the Rapid. I have a few questions,

- Does 2013 Elegance come with leather wrapped steering?
- Are you getting steering controls (retro fits) along with your Caska system?

Answer to your the second question in your post, Team BHP PDI Checklist has everything you should consider/review/audit before taking the delivery. All the Best!
Old 20th March 2013, 13:44   #959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Something definitely feels fishy. Firstly, Rs. 9000 seems to be fine. But, the first service is at 15000. Why are you getting your car serviced at 9k itself?

And about the discs, they should replace them under warranty. Contact the Skoda customer care about this and be very stern about this matter. The brakes are not meant to go wrong so early.
Keep us updated, all the best.

A Bhp-ian had a similar problem:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2865536

Hey thanks for the feedback. My 1st service bill was Rs.9600 which included Rs.1500 interior cleaning. So if you remove this component, it comes up tp Rs.8000 which included oil for about Rs.3500 and 3 filters { diesel, air & A.C} at about Rs.2500
It seems reasonable if you consider that the car is serviced once a year.
On the brakes, i was told that discs & brake pads are not part of warranty, will try and check with skoda customer care.
And even though my car had done just 9k, I had completed one year which means all fluids have to be replaced, hence I went for the 1st service now.
Old 21st March 2013, 08:45   #960

Quote:
Congratulations on your booking. I have shortlisted three cars, Verna, Rapid and Ecosport (may not be able to wait till launch), might end up buying the Rapid. I have a few questions,

- Does 2013 Elegance come with leather wrapped steering?
- Are you getting steering controls (retro fits) along with your Caska system?

Answer to your the second question in your post, Team BHP PDI Checklist has everything you should consider/review/audit before taking the delivery. All the Best!
Hi,
The 2013 Rapid does come with a leather wrapped steering wheel as well as a gear knob.
And I havent opted for the steering mounted controls. Frankly havent even bothered to enquire. Am not a huge fan of the feature anyway.
I do hope if its a sedan, you opt for the Rapid. The EcoSport as you rightly put it is sometime away.
aashishtrivedi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks