Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2015, 20:57   #5146
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
What has the maximum kms any one you (Duster Owners) driven on a full tank?

I was reading a thread on the Creta and one of the owners claimed that after travelling 1,000 kms on a tankful, there was still 1 bar left on the fuel gauge. He guessed that it could be a 60 liter fuel tank on the Creta. Very impressive, if for a 1,000 kms, no refill required.

I am trying to understand if the Duster can also travel 1,000 kms (assume a long drive with good FE) on a tankful before going for a refill.
Duster owners thread seems to be loosing steam once the Creta thread has started with active discussions.

No current Duster owner/s responded to my above query
Old 24th September 2015, 21:46   #5147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Duster owners thread seems to be loosing steam once the Creta thread has started with active discussions.

I have never tracked that level of detail. Typical FE has been 17-19 for me. Though many have quoted 20+.

With regards to your query there was a confusion some time back as to what is the tank capacity of Duster. Check with Himadri who had gone through that experience.

As regards to the car, I am close to hitting 60K in 3 years. And the car seems a pleasure to drive even today. There are some who are past that too.
Old 24th September 2015, 22:25   #5148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I have never tracked that level of detail. Typical FE has been 17-19 for me. Though many have quoted 20+.

With regards to your query there was a confusion some time back as to what is the tank capacity of Duster. Check with Himadri who had gone through that experience.

As regards to the car, I am close to hitting 60K in 3 years. And the car seems a pleasure to drive even today. There are some who are past that too.
I am also not sure what the tank capacity of the duster is , I remember when I took the car straight out of showroom for a tank full I could only manage 43 litres . Last week with the fuel gauge bar at the halfway mark could manage 24 litres for a tank ful .
With a tankful I have driven 600kms with 2 bars of fuel still left in the car . I feel the car's mileage is very sensitive to the speeds maintained and the best mileage that I have got so far is 19 with average sped being less than 100 rest of the times I have managed 17 with spirited driving .
Old 25th September 2015, 00:58   #5149
BHPian

Quote:

Even many months before it's launch, I've felt that the thread is loosing steam Probably this is how every thread works when the product ages.

To answer your query, I consistently get 20 plus kmpl in my Duster 85 in my regular drives. With a fuel tank that definitely holds over 50 litres (some people have filled around 70 litres ), 1000 km is a very easy job.

Last edited by xjosephjacob : 25th September 2015 at 01:06.
Old 25th September 2015, 02:40   #5150
BHPian

Quote:

I'll need to check my fuel bills for actual capacity but, I drove 1350kms in one and a half tankfull.
Old 25th September 2015, 06:33   #5151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumen.blore View Post
I recently did a Bangalore - Goa trip in my 110ps duster . The car was a breeze to drive throughout . It behaved equally well on the national highways and the ghat section and the potholes wereno match for the wonderful suspension . Best part evryone in the car not just the front seat occupants felt comfortable through out the journey .The total journey was for 4 days 1300 kms
This is definitely the USP of this car. I have done three 1000+ km trips in the last year including a Kochi-Bangalore-Kochi trip which we completed in <30hrs. On all occasions, the passengers were extremely comfortable and I never got any complaints. To compare, my parents and friends always tried to avoid the back seat of my old swift

Quote:
What has the maximum kms any one you (Duster Owners) driven on a full tank?
The Duster fuel tank can take more than 50L of fuel. The max I have done is ~800 kms but it can definitely do 1000kms in one tank. I normally tank up before the low fuel warning come up.
Old 25th September 2015, 12:35   #5152
BHPian

Quote:
I recently did a Bangalore - Goa trip in my 110ps duster . The car was a breeze to drive throughout . It behaved equally well on the national highways and the ghat section and the potholes wereno match for the wonderful suspension . Best part evryone in the car not just the front seat occupants felt comfortable through out the journey .The total journey was for 4 days 1300 kms .Overall fuel efficiency would be somewhere between 17-19 with a/c on all the time.Speeds maintained were in the range of 100-120 most of the time .

The wind noise is definitelyless after I got the damping done last week . The cabin was a less noisy compared to my last highway run .
If you don't mind can you please provide details of where you got the damping done, was it for all four doors or only the front ones, the material and approximate cost? I find cabin noise to be a bother now after 15K+ kms in my 110 RxZ 2013 Duster. With stock speakers the volume needs to be uncomfortably high to hear songs.
Old 25th September 2015, 12:50   #5153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartik Kumar View Post
If you don't mind can you please provide details of where you got the damping done, was it for all four doors or only the front ones, the material and approximate cost? I find cabin noise to be a bother now after 15K+ kms in my 110 RxZ 2013 Duster. With stock speakers the volume needs to be uncomfortably high to hear songs.
I got it done from Limra car decor Banaswadi , they use local material STP brand and they charge 1.5k per door. I have got all the four doors done . Got the same quote from sachins auto shop Koramangala , but got it done here as its nearby .
I have got all the speakers changed and have an amplifier and sub installed so windows rolled up I can go till 10 volume max .

While researching for damping , had come across dampmat (8k) for the material but the quote of labour to install them was given as 8k by Harmonixx so got the local material instead .
soumen.blore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 16:19   #5154
BHPian

Quote:
I got it done from Limra car decor Banaswadi , they use local material STP brand and they charge 1.5k per door. I have got all the four doors done . Got the same quote from sachins auto shop Koramangala , but got it done here as its nearby .
I have got all the speakers changed and have an amplifier and sub installed so windows rolled up I can go till 10 volume max .

While researching for damping , had come across dampmat (8k) for the material but the quote of labour to install them was given as 8k by Harmonixx so got the local material instead .
1.5K per door is really inexpensive compared to the branded materials! I wonder if the extra door beading can also be applied to the older Dusters and the combination of the two should really reduce noise further.
Old 25th September 2015, 16:38   #5155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartik Kumar View Post
1.5K per door is really inexpensive compared to the branded materials! I wonder if the extra door beading can also be applied to the older Dusters and the combination of the two should really reduce noise further.
Not sure about the beading , worth checking at the service center .
Mine is a 2015 model so I feel damping the doors was enough and with music on all the time road noise is not such a big irritant .
As per the branded damping material it was the cost of labour that kept me away from them . I do have plans to add a sheet of dampmat/dyanmat to all the doors whenever I go for my next audio upgrade as the 4 sheets would not cost that much. You might consider changing the oem speakers only , they would definitely help with the music volume .

Few people have suggested to have 3m anti rust coating done for underbody , as it helps with cabin noise reduction. Again not sure as i have not done this but i plan do it once the car is a year old .

Last edited by soumen.blore : 25th September 2015 at 16:41. Reason: Added information
Old 26th September 2015, 06:58   #5156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post
To answer your query, I consistently get 20 plus kmpl in my Duster 85 in my regular drives. With a fuel tank that definitely holds over 50 litres (some people have filled around 70 litres ), 1000 km is a very easy job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanmd View Post
I'll need to check my fuel bills for actual capacity but, I drove 1350kms in one and a half tankfull.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
The Duster fuel tank can take more than 50L of fuel. The max I have done is ~800 kms but it can definitely do 1000kms in one tank. I normally tank up before the low fuel warning come up.

Thanks all for your responses. The reason I asked is that my next vehicle I am looking for is either a compact SUV (Duster, Creta, Terrano etc.) or MPV (Innova). Mainly it is going to be city driving with very occasional highway driving. One thing I want to avoid is too many gas station visits

Currently with my Honda City (very happy with the sweet I-Vtec, Honda quality and really fun to drive) I have to make trips to the gas station every 350 kms (approx.). Of course I never wait for the 'empty gas tank' light to come on. So once the fuel gauge shows around 2 bars to empty, I'll fill up the gas tank. Also, not sure about the shape of the gas tank, since for the first 225 kms to 235 kms, the fuel needle comes half way. So I'd imagine the 2nd half would give me another 225 km +- with exactly the same driving style, traffic etc. But every time I have seen after 225 kms, the fuel needle comes to almost empty in another 100 kms. Very strange. So, 250 kms + another 100 kms = 350 kms, I have to make a trip to the gas station.

How about the Duster? After yy kms when fuel gauge shows half indication, the second half (with similar driving style & conditions) does it give equal number of yy+- kms or does it also come to empty with xx kms, where xx kms is much lower than the yy kms?

Curious to know what Duster owners have observed.

Last edited by geotracks : 26th September 2015 at 07:00.
Old 28th September 2015, 07:42   #5157
BHPian

Hi All,

Had a few queries about duster.

Currently we are in process of deciding between the 85PS duster and terrano and wanted inputs for that.

1. The kerb weight of duster is listed as 1205 in our forum. However the autocar review lists the kerb weight as 1308 kgs. The Nissan's kerb weight is listed as 1345 kgs. Is it possible that we have listed the kerb weight incorrectly because I am not able to fathom where Terrano's additional weight is going into.

2. The ARAI mileage for Terrano is 20.45 while for duster it is 19.87. This is around half a km of difference. Any idea if there is a reason for this and also if this will translate into marginally better real world mileage.

3. I am bit worried that Terrano's production might stop in the near future since the combined Duster/Terrano's numbers have really fallen in the last 3 months. How difficult do you think it will be source the part in that case? Will it be advisable to go for Duster in this case since the number of dusters on the roads are more.

4. With the discounts, the premium for Terrano is lesser than what is used to be. For the top end terrano 85 ps vs top end duster 85 ps the difference is only 20K now after applicable discounts in both cases. Does it make sense to go for the Terrano in this case?
Old 28th September 2015, 07:54   #5158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
I am bit worried that Terrano's production might stop in the near future since the combined Duster/Terrano's numbers have really fallen in the last 3 months. How difficult do you think it will be source the part in that case? Will it be advisable to go for Duster in this case since the number of dusters on the roads are more.
I cannot say about production stops, but if you dont have major reservations on visual selections between the Duster and Teranno, I would suggest the Duster. Also why 85? Because when it was launched the Duster 85 was more easier to drive than the 110. But Renault has improved the drivability of 110 and has also worked on the heaviness of the clutch. You should certainly check out the 110 before deciding.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 08:45   #5159
Distinguished - BHPian

Not being an owner of either but having done extensive research on both as replacement for our Polo:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-features.html

Unsure of the kerb weights but the Terrano IS around 50 kg heavier which is attributable to the supposedly thicker sheet metal used. This is not officially confirmed but is the general perception from all the blogs/reviews etc.

The Terrano certainly looks smarter but the Duster does have a timeless 'bulldog' SUV look.

The Duster will be supported/updated/serviced compared to the Terrano simply because Renault has a better footprint and is probably more committed to India than Nissan. Also, any updates will come to the Duster first and then the Terrano.

Renault tweaked the ECU programming for both the 85 & 110 in the 2015 Duster launched in February 2015. This resulted in a more responsive engine (i.e. less turbo lag) but I think the 85's mileage went down and now both are nearly identical. The 110 is supposedly much more drivable. If you have the budget suggest you look at the 110 too. Fact is, 1/2 km mileage is meaningless in the real world. Don't let it be a factor :-)

My summary advice is to go for the Duster 110 (if budget allows), or the 85. With the facelift around the corner, you can get excellent discounts on the current model. Renault have a bewildering combination of variants and options especially when comparing the 110 & 85

Keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
Hi All,

Had a few queries about duster.

Currently we are in process of deciding between the 85PS duster and terrano and wanted inputs for that.

1. The kerb weight of duster is listed as 1205 in our forum. However the autocar review lists the kerb weight as 1308 kgs. The Nissan's kerb weight is listed as 1345 kgs. Is it possible that we have listed the kerb weight incorrectly because I am not able to fathom where Terrano's additional weight is going into.

2. The ARAI mileage for Terrano is 20.45 while for duster it is 19.87. This is around half a km of difference. Any idea if there is a reason for this and also if this will translate into marginally better real world mileage.

3. I am bit worried that Terrano's production might stop in the near future since the combined Duster/Terrano's numbers have really fallen in the last 3 months. How difficult do you think it will be source the part in that case? Will it be advisable to go for Duster in this case since the number of dusters on the roads are more.

4. With the discounts, the premium for Terrano is lesser than what is used to be. For the top end terrano 85 ps vs top end duster 85 ps the difference is only 20K now after applicable discounts in both cases. Does it make sense to go for the Terrano in this case?

Last edited by itwasntme : 28th September 2015 at 08:46. Reason: Adding URL
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 20:25   #5160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Renault tweaked the ECU programming for both the 85 & 110 in the 2015 Duster launched in February 2015. This resulted in a more responsive engine (i.e. less turbo lag) but I think the 85's mileage went down and now both are nearly identical. The 110 is supposedly much more drivable. If you have the budget suggest you look at the 110 too. Fact is, 1/2 km mileage is meaningless in the real world. Don't let it be a factor :-)
Keep us posted.
I don't think the real world mileage difference between 85 and 110 is ~0.5. I am getting an average FE of 14-15 in city runs and 17-18 on Kerala highways in my 85ps. I have heard my colleagues (who owns 110) reporting average FE of 11-13 in City runs and 15-16 on highways.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks