Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2014, 09:52   #2311
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I've been trying to get a test drive of the GT TSI from VW Palace cross since the past 1 week. They first told me that the test drive car met with a minor accident and is in the workshop for minor bodywork repair. Now after one week they tell me that the car will be out of action for another two weeks!! Now is that a sign, I don't know.

The sales lady tells me the TSI engine is one of a kind and there is nothing like it in the entire segment "so why do you need a test drive sir?" She was talking about long waiting periods and advised me to book the car without waiting for the test drive. She in fact offered me a test drive with the 1.2 MPI MT petrol to get a feel of the car. Basically I wanted to get a feel of the engine and the gearbox so have asked for a test drive of the Vento TSI. She said she can arrange that in the coming week. Let's see if that happens.

I guess that's the problem with having so many variants of the same car. They have to keep a test drive car for each variant. The Polo currently sells about 3,000 units a month with four engine options. Compare that to the swift, nearly 10,000 units with just two engine options. I am all for providing more options to the customer. But then expecting customers to book cars without even a test drive is foolish to say the least.
You are right to ask for a test drive Santoshbhat. In my case they did not have a Polo GT TSI, so i got a test drive on the Vento TSI. Which is the next best thing, hope it works out for you.

Its when you TD that you truly experience the pleasure!
Old 9th November 2014, 10:33   #2312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've been trying to get a test drive of the GT TSI from VW Palace cross since the past 1 week. They first told me that the test drive car met with a minor accident and is in the workshop for minor bodywork repair. Now after one week they tell me that the car will be out of action for another two weeks!! Now is that a sign, I don't know.

The sales lady tells me the TSI engine is one of a kind and there is nothing like it in the entire segment "so why do you need a test drive sir?" She was talking about long waiting periods and advised me to book the car without waiting for the test drive. She in fact offered me a test drive with the 1.2 MPI MT petrol to get a feel of the car. Basically I wanted to get a feel of the engine and the gearbox so have asked for a test drive of the Vento TSI. She said she can arrange that in the coming week. Let's see if that happens.

I guess that's the problem with having so many variants of the same car. They have to keep a test drive car for each variant. The Polo currently sells about 3,000 units a month with four engine options. Compare that to the swift, nearly 10,000 units with just two engine options. I am all for providing more options to the customer. But then expecting customers to book cars without even a test drive is foolish to say the least.
If it is feasible for you, you can try vw Whitefield. They had a gt tsi test drive vehicle.

Forget booking, You will be surprised with the number of people who even buy the car without a test drive.
Old 9th November 2014, 11:48   #2313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyFuelRun View Post
Picked up my gt tsi today from Vw downtown. The car is addictive!

Switched tyres to Michelin xm2 and also installed the arm rest. Will be taking it on a long drive tomorrow morning, and looking forward to it.

I'm babying the car right now, keeping revs under 2000 rpm, planning to do so for the first 1000 KMS or so.

Would also like to mention that the sales experience at Vw downtown, prabhadevi was very good indeed.

Welcome to the club! Mine is now a week old. Do get the extended warranty done - Rs.13040/- as mentioned elsewhere in the thread.

Some observations in my short ownership:

1. Could live with not having features like fold mirrors/keyless entry/start stop button/automatic day-light mirror - BUT I really wish the seatbelt was height adjustable. Slightly on the higher side in my desired seat position.

2. Coming from my prior and current ownership experience with the Honda AT (Accord, Civic) and Hyundai AT, the DSG is definitely jerkier in bumper to bumper 1-2-1 traffic - requires careful throttle application/use of tiptronic - not as smooth and carefree as torque converter ATs.

3. But all is forgiven when there's a gap in traffic! Wow, I wish I could drive a manual that way.

4. Slight rattle from the driver's door while driving through big bumps - tried white lithium grease on door hinges, door locker, 'Shin-Estu' on all beadings/seals...but no go.
Old 9th November 2014, 13:30   #2314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
If it is feasible for you, you can try vw Whitefield. They had a gt tsi test drive vehicle.

Forget booking, You will be surprised with the number of people who even buy the car without a test drive.
VW whitefield is quite far off from my place. VW Palace cross is actually just a stone's throw away from my office. I might as well buy the car without the test drive. There is no other alternative really. A fun to drive and powerful AT hatch is what I am looking for.

I checked out a display vehicle in the showroom. My family lamented the lack of space at the back. Space for rear passengers is really atrocious. I am 6' 2" and my family is generally tall, yet we are used to travelling 4 up in our i10. The i10 is surprisingly spacious. Thankfully the Polo is not a replacement for the i10, otherwise my family would not have agreed.
Old 9th November 2014, 15:56   #2315
BHPian

I was in the same situation as Santoshbhat and the same reason given to me as well, no test drive vehicle for 2 weeks at least. But with so many posts/reviews/reports, took the dive and went ahead and book one for myself. Delivery 2-3 months, long wait starts now, but hope that I get it soon.
Old 9th November 2014, 18:25   #2316
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu4222 View Post
I was in the same situation as Santoshbhat and the same reason given to me as well, no test drive vehicle for 2 weeks at least. But with so many posts/reviews/reports, took the dive and went ahead and book one for myself. Delivery 2-3 months, long wait starts now, but hope that I get it soon.
I may have do that as well i.e book the car without a test drive. Btw did you book yours at VW Palace Cross? And what was the booking amount you paid? They are asking 50k for booking.
Old 9th November 2014, 19:14   #2317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Welcome to the club! Mine is now a week old. Do get the extended warranty done - Rs.13040/- as mentioned elsewhere in the thread.

Some observations in my short ownership:

1. Could live with not having features like fold mirrors/keyless entry/start stop button/automatic day-light mirror - BUT I really wish the seatbelt was height adjustable. Slightly on the higher side in my desired seat position.

2. Coming from my prior and current ownership experience with the Honda AT (Accord, Civic) and Hyundai AT, the DSG is definitely jerkier in bumper to bumper 1-2-1 traffic - requires careful throttle application/use of tiptronic - not as smooth and carefree as torque converter ATs.

3. But all is forgiven when there's a gap in traffic! Wow, I wish I could drive a manual that way.

4. Slight rattle from the driver's door while driving through big bumps - tried white lithium grease on door hinges, door locker, 'Shin-Estu' on all beadings/seals...but no go.
Thanks a lot d_himan, and yes I'm planning to get the extended warranty done, with DSG getting that extended warranty is a no brainer

Agree with you about the behaviour of the car in bumper to bumper traffic, although i think we'll adapt our right foot to the gearbox in good time, like you said, what this machine can do when the space in front clears up makes up for it all!

Take a look at this youtube video, gave me some insight of the DSG behaviour in start stop traffic.

About the other stuff, yeah I chose to overlook them too, I just felt for once I should pick a car purely because of its ability to be a car, and so far I'm enjoying it. Also, no rattles yet, fingers crossed and touching wood and turning around thrice
HeavyFuelRun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 08:52   #2318
BHPian

Quote:
I may have do that as well i.e book the car without a test drive. Btw did you book yours at VW Palace Cross? And what was the booking amount you paid? They are asking 50k for booking.
Why don't you request some GT TSI owner to give you a TD? I'm sure there are quite a few from Bangalore on this forum, and should be willing to give you one!
Old 10th November 2014, 10:05   #2319
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
VW whitefield is quite far off from my place. VW Palace cross is actually just a stone's throw away from my office. I might as well buy the car without the test drive. There is no other alternative really. A fun to drive and powerful AT hatch is what I am looking for.

I checked out a display vehicle in the showroom. My family lamented the lack of space at the back. Space for rear passengers is really atrocious. I am 6' 2" and my family is generally tall, yet we are used to travelling 4 up in our i10. The i10 is surprisingly spacious. Thankfully the Polo is not a replacement for the i10, otherwise my family would not have agreed.
You can always book it and cancel if by any chance you do not like it. But as you said, there is no real alternative in the high performing AT hatch segment. Driving the Vento TSI should give you a good enough feel of performance. There is no real perceptible difference unless driven hard and driven back to back.

Totally agree with you on the rear seat space, that was the primary reason I decided to stretch to the Vento TSI. The additional boot space was a secondary reason.

Quote:
Taking the liberty to comment on this. Palace Cross took 50K as booking when I booked the Vento TSI. VW Whitefield on the other hand took only Rs5000 as booking when I had booked the Polo GT TSI with them. Got the full refund also. Not sure if they still take the same amount.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 10:53   #2320
BHPian

Quote:
Take a look at this Youtube video, gave me some insight of the DSG behaviour in start stop traffic.
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=pI702gHL2Iw
Thanks for the link. The explanation that 1st and R being on the same set doesn't allow DSG to predict where the car would like to go from standstill makes sense, but, I wonder if VW could have done better. Say, by being ready to engage 1st while in Park. The number of times one moves forward from standstill is definitely more than reverse. And, when one slots the car into reverse, a few miliseconds delay to switch from 1st to reverse would be acceptable, as acceleration in reverse is usually not such a big deal.
Su-47 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 11:27   #2321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agree with you about the behaviour of the car in bumper to bumper traffic, although i think we'll adapt our right foot to the gearbox in good time, like you said, what this machine can do when the space in front clears up makes up for it all!
Thank you for that. Very informative video. Confirms and clarifies a couple of things: I have always said the DSG disengages at a standstill. I assumed the lag while starting was because the gearbox is reengaging the clutch. It is that but also as the video says the car figuring out first or second gear to set off. This also lends credence to the fact that I don't think you need to be in neutral at stop lights. That would make the gearbox wonder what you are going to do next, drive forward or reverse?
Old 10th November 2014, 12:26   #2322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Thank you for that. Very informative video. Confirms and clarifies a couple of things: I have always said the DSG disengages at a standstill. I assumed the lag while starting was because the gearbox is reengaging the clutch. It is that but also as the video says the car figuring out first or second gear to set off. This also lends credence to the fact that I don't think you need to be in neutral at stop lights. That would make the gearbox wonder what you are going to do next, drive forward or reverse?
Right now im still putting it in neutral at stop lights, but I wish I didnt have to. Would just be that much less to do each time I stop at a light.
Old 10th November 2014, 12:31   #2323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That would make the gearbox wonder what you are going to do next, drive forward or reverse?
How can it possibly do that? I did watch the video, but maybe I missed something vital. If the car is going to be driven backwards, the driver would select 'R.' As soon as the driver selects a forward or reverse position from N, there is no "wondering"
Old 10th November 2014, 12:42   #2324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
How can it possibly do that? I did watch the video, but maybe I missed something vital. If the car is going to be driven backwards, the driver would select 'R.' As soon as the driver selects a forward or reverse position from N, there is no "wondering"
My thought of what the video says is that when we put the gearbox in 'N' it doesnt know if we are going to pick 'D' or 'R' next and hence is in a limbo of sorts.

When we pick 'D' it takes a few miliseconds to engage and be ready on 2nd, and since its starting on 2nd, it is a little sluggish also.
Old 10th November 2014, 13:57   #2325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Right now im still putting it in neutral at stop lights, but I wish I didnt have to. Would just be that much less to do each time I stop at a light.
I've had a DSG for six months and I don't move to neutral at (short) stops - no issues so far. I think you can safely avoid N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
As opposed to being in D where it clearly knows your next move will be to drive forward and hence it is in that state of readiness (even at a stop), N as HeavyFuelRun said, leaves it in a state where it could go to drive or reverse, hence the longer lag. I guess it's a question of degrees of disengagement.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks