Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2015, 18:42   #2671
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Guys my pre facelift GT's parking light has conked. What is the wattage & type of bulb thats to be got. What about LED's that doesn't throw any errors ?
W5W, 5W. You can substitute it with any W5W LED, the system does not throw any error.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2015, 18:43   #2672
BHPian

Quote:
Guys my pre facelift GT's parking light has conked. What is the wattage & type of bulb thats to be got. What about LED's that doesn't throw any errors ?
Its a T10 W5W bulb. You can find LED versions of the same for 150 bucks on ebay. I dont think the parking lamps in Polo are connected to Canbus. Are you getting a bulb out error?
Crazy_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2015, 18:49   #2673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Its a T10 W5W bulb. You can find LED versions of the same for 150 bucks on ebay. I dont think the parking lamps in Polo are connected to Canbus. Are you getting a bulb out error?
Thanks.

Nope. No error. Just found out one of the parking lights was out. Removed it and saw the filament had disrupted. Also found lights with different SMD. What does it mean.

Last edited by drpudhi : 22nd February 2015 at 18:58.
Old 22nd February 2015, 18:54   #2674
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.

Nope. No error. Just found out one of the parking lights was out. Removed it and saw the filament had disrupted.
Good, then you can install any LED bulb and it wont throw any error.

In case you plan to go the LED way, do try to find bulbs with color close to or slightly below 5000K. The cheap ones in the market are above 6000K and throw a bluish white light that in my opinion looks cheap.
Old 22nd February 2015, 19:02   #2675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Good, then you can install any LED bulb and it wont throw any error.

In case you plan to go the LED way, do try to find bulbs with color close to or slightly below 5000K. The cheap ones in the market are above 6000K and throw a bluish white light that in my opinion looks cheap.
Looked up in ebay. There are lights with different SMD. What does that mean ? And also they don't display the K of the lights. Have any recommendation ?
Old 22nd February 2015, 19:10   #2676
BHPian

Quote:
Looked up in ebay. There are lights with different SMD. What does that mean ? And also they don't display the K of the lights. Have any recommendation ?
Aliexpress has some very high quality T10 lights. If you can wait for 20 days (shipping time) I would recommend ordering from there. Latest in LED tech are CREE Leds, you can try them too.

In the meanwhile, order from ebay, More SMDs mean more light, 4-6 SMDs should have enough light for the park light function. Don't worry about Watts as T10 LEDs will most definitely be below 5W.
Crazy_Bean is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 21:26   #2677
BHPian

Potentially Dangerous issue with Brakes...

Guys, I am not sure how to describe this but I will try my best by citing 2 incidents:

1. I was driving from Karnal Bypass (from Delhi) towards Chandigarh and within the border of Delhi, there are small speed breakers (parallel strip of 2) after regular intervals. It was bumper to bumper traffic. As I was crossing one of them at low speed (<20 kph due to traffic), the brakes went bonkers wherein the brake pedal lost all its power and strange sound was being produced. It remained in that state for 1-2 second but this was enough to increase braking distance and cause a small collision and I rear ended the car in front. Luckily the damage was minimum since speed was low. But I was shocked to have experienced this strange behavior and I was wondering on how this could happen.

2. The above incident happened last weekend. Yesterday I had parked my car with both rear wheels resting on the footpath (and hence over an elevated surface). When I set off in the evening, the same incident was repeated on the small impact which was caused by rear wheels hitting the road after leaving the foot path

Now certain things are clear :
1. Some issue with brakes/brake pedal which comes into effect in the cause of small impact.
2. Speed on both the occasions was low
3. Total loss of braking power for 1-2 seconds

This a scary situation and I am having a hard time comprehending the root cause. Does anyone know if it points to a design flaw or some issue with my car ?
sahilkhurana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 08:17   #2678
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahilkhurana View Post
This a scary situation and I am having a hard time comprehending the root cause. Does anyone know if it points to a design flaw or some issue with my car ?
It would be great if you give a few details about the car too.

1) How many years old and what's the odometer reading?
2) When was the last servicing done?
3) Were brakes serviced during the last service? If yes, what was done?

How does the brake pedal feel? Spongy?

First thing to do is, bleed the brake fluid and check for brake pads health.

Last edited by a4anurag : 25th February 2015 at 08:19.
Old 25th February 2015, 09:00   #2679
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sahil,
Couple of GT TSI owners(including me) in this forum have reported the similar problem.

Are you facing the following problem?
- Road was bad(may be small stones, or small pot holes, or with the small speed breakers)
- You were driving at very low speed.
- Suddenly you notice something, and slam on the brake.
- At this moment, break keeps hitting back(as if ABS kicked in), and vehicle keeps moving forward.

And yes, it is a shocking experience.

I guess this is a problem with the ABS logic.

Last edited by shetty_rohan : 25th February 2015 at 09:08.
shetty_rohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 10:29   #2680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
Hi Sahil,
Couple of GT TSI owners(including me) in this forum have reported the similar problem.

- Road was bad(may be small stones, or small pot holes, or with the small speed breakers)
- At this moment, break keeps hitting back(as if ABS kicked in), and vehicle keeps moving forward.

And yes, it is a shocking experience.

Hi Rohan.

You are spot on. I have also experienced this on roads with small stones. The brake pedal keeps hitting back at you.

Well I ended up rear ending a car due to this fault. Has anyone got a formal reply from VW on this one ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It would be great if you give a few details about the car too.

1) How many years old and what's the odometer reading?
2) When was the last servicing done?
3) Were brakes serviced during the last service? If yes, what was done?

How does the brake pedal feel? Spongy?

First thing to do is, bleed the brake fluid and check for brake pads health.
1) 1.5 years and 23K on Odo
2) Servicing at 1 year/ 14K
3) I don't think they were

But I guess brake wear and tear would cause the brakes to lose bite rather than cause this awkward situation.

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th February 2015 at 15:15. Reason: Merging consecutive posts. Please see the FAQs on using the "Multiquote" feature. Thanks.
Old 25th February 2015, 15:33   #2681
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
Hi Sahil,

- Road was bad (may be small stones, or small pot holes, or with the small speed breakers)

Quote:
You are spot on. I have also experienced this on roads with small stones. The brake pedal keeps hitting back at you.

1) 1.5 years and 23K on Odo
With just 23K on the odo the brake pads going bad is not good.

The juddering that you feel when going over small stones is the braking system struggling to get traction due to the slippery surface. ABS kicking-in is difficult unless you stomp the pedal.
Old 25th February 2015, 15:41   #2682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
With just 23K on the odo the brake pads going bad is not good.

The juddering that you feel when going over small stones is the braking system struggling to get traction due to the slippery surface. ABS kicking-in is difficult unless you stomp the pedal.

Hi Anurag,

I don't think it is the braking system struggling to cope with slippery surface. Personally to me it looks like brake pedal Having some sort vibrations and oscillations caused by faulty logic of ABS. The brake pedal hits back at you and produces a definite sound and braking power is 0.

Also since this is something I had experienced early in the life cycle of car as well (6 months into it ) , I don't think it is brake pads.
Old 25th February 2015, 21:31   #2683
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Anurag,

I don't think it is the braking system struggling to cope with slippery surface. Personally to me it looks like brake pedal Having some sort vibrations and oscillations caused by faulty logic of ABS. The brake pedal hits back at you and produces a definite sound and braking power is 0.

Also since this is something I had experienced early in the life cycle of car as well (6 months into it ) , I don't think it is brake pads.
I've also experienced the same a few times in the last 1.5 years of my GT. And it was most at my apartment speedbreaker where i try to slow down to <20 while going over it. One thing i noticed is it never happens when you stomp to stop the car. Happens only when you are trying to slow down the car with a mild press of brake pedal.
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 21:51   #2684
BHPian

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Well it looks like a definite thing. Checked with one of my friends who has been in this field and he suspects ABS as well.

Have contacted VW on this.

Last edited by sahilkhurana : 25th February 2015 at 21:53.
Old 27th February 2015, 11:18   #2685
BHPian

Quote:
Well it looks like a definite thing. Checked with one of my friends who has been in this field and he suspects ABS as well.

Have contacted VW on this.
Have given the car to Volkswagen Delhi Metropolitan. The issue seems to be well documented on the web.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=371992
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...ry-slow-speeds

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks