Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2014, 17:11   #6931
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
It is nice of you to bring this point out, let me clarify.

I have an engineer friend who works in the Ecosport plant and he has confirmed that only the titanium optional model which is sold in India scores 4 on Euro NCAP testing. (The other models were not tested as you said)
I still doubt it is the same car. The Ecosport tested in Europe was 1350kg, which is a full 100kgs lesser than the top end Indian spec.

Check the link below:
http://www.euroncap.com/results/ford/ecosport/538.aspx
Old 16th April 2014, 18:39   #6932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
I still doubt it is the same car. The Ecosport tested in Europe was 1350kg, which is a full 100kgs lesser than the top end Indian spec.

Check the link below:
http://www.euroncap.com/results/ford/ecosport/538.aspx
Sorry, please read the above as "full 100kgs more than the top end Indian spec".
Old 17th April 2014, 01:40   #6933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickrider00 View Post
Secondly, the big news, I got my Ecosport 1.5 Tdci Ambiente delivered after an exact wait of 7 months and 11 days from Gateway Ford, Siliguri, the car is worth the wait.
Welcome to Team-Bhp and congrats on your new car. Please post pics of your baby or better make a ownership thread. There aren't many Ambiante threads around here.
I am still waiting for my Scarlet. They promised me delivery within 2 months. So far i had good experience with the dealer, hope they don't break their promise next month when it is supposed to be given. Else i will just cancel my booking and look for the next big thing.

Quote:
I have an engineer friend who works in the Ecosport plant and he has confirmed that only the titanium optional model which is sold in India scores 4 on Euro NCAP testing. (The other models were not tested as you said)
Well i think the Indian and Latin America version (Brazil) are the same, with the exception that base variants there come equipped with dual airbags.
The dual ones also has 4 star rating as they test frontal impact in Latin NCAP

The euro version has better feature list also including Sync with Applink, Steering mounted controls on left and right, better alloys etc. I wish i could get those alloys..sigh
Old 17th April 2014, 08:30   #6934
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, please read the above as "full 100kgs more than the top end Indian spec".
Out of curiosity, I tried to check the official kerb weight of Ford Ecosport and unfortunately both UK & Indian Ford websites doesn't provide that information.

Australian Ford website says the kerb weight is in the range of 1242-1289 Kg for the Petrol Ecosport (http://www.ford.com.au/suvs/ecosport...s/spec-options) and Australian NCAP seems to have used the same 1350 Kg Euro Spec Ecosport for testing (http://www.ancap.com.au/PDF.aspx?pdf=558). Team-BHP review says "the kerb weight of the EcoSport which runs upward of 1200 kilos, all the way to 1290 kg" which is kind of close to Australian Ecosport's kerb weight. So, I don't think there is going to be a "full 100Kg difference" between the ones sold abroad and the Indian version.

Last edited by ece2k2 : 17th April 2014 at 08:33.
ece2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 09:53   #6935
BHPian

Quote:
You are right.

It is definitely one of the criteria for scoring, but how does electronic stability control (ESC) or ABS help in a head on collision against concrete/metal block?(which is done during the NCAP test).

It is more of a crash test where 6 airbags and the structure of the cabin play an important role to save the passengers life(which is rated at 93%).Adding the seventh, knee airbag will be a bigger improvement.

As for the equipment levels yes definitely the titanium optional lacks the ESC..
If you go thru various NCAP tests the main difference between 4 & 5 star ratings is the availability of predictive safety components like Radar based Collision Avoidance, ESP & similar autonomous(wrt driver) safety aids. Also the presence of side & curtain airbags makes a difference in the rating.

So a 4 star rated Ecosport will be structurally as safe as the 5 star one but the additional ESP & airbags decreases the severity of occupant injury. Also pedestrian safety is also being given much importance now. So my gut feeling is that an Ecosport 1.5P AT is about as safe as any 5 star vehicle you can get of the same weight & size category.

Also the action of the safety aids during an incident is equally important. I remember one TV channel (UK one) running a test of a Volvo, a Merc & a VW UP. The test was for their radar based collision avoidance system (city safety feature). The Merc. failed even though it was the costliest system. The VW UP fared much better than the Merc. but not as well as the Volvo. So the caveat :- "Buyer Beware- high price may not get you the safety you are expecting!!".
sridhar-v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 11:37   #6936
BHPian

Saw this new commercial in you-tube.

Cheers!

Last edited by Vid6639 : 17th April 2014 at 18:58. Reason: fixing the youtube link
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 13:22   #6937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post

Out of curiosity, I tried to check the official kerb weight of Ford Ecosport and unfortunately both UK & Indian Ford websites doesn't provide that information.

Australian Ford website says the kerb weight is in the range of 1242-1289 Kg for the Petrol Ecosport (http://www.ford.com.au/suvs/ecosport...s/spec-options) and Australian NCAP seems to have used the same 1350 Kg Euro Spec Ecosport for testing (http://www.ancap.com.au/PDF.aspx?pdf=558). Team-BHP review says "the kerb weight of the EcoSport which runs upward of 1200 kilos, all the way to 1290 kg" which is kind of close to Australian Ecosport's kerb weight. So, I don't think there is going to be a "full 100Kg difference" between the ones sold abroad and the Indian version.
Whether the difference is 100kg or 60 kg, my point is, these are two different cars. What Euro NCAP tested was a heavier version of the ecosport. So we can't say for sure that the 4 stars that was awarded is valid for the Indian version.
Old 17th April 2014, 17:31   #6938
BHPian

My friend in Australia spotted the EcoSports (including a yellow Ecosport) lined up in front of a Ford's showroom. He tells me he has never seen the car on road as most people there prefer bigger engines (>2.0 L) with automatic transmissions.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img20140417wa0024.jpg  

the13thtee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 22:42   #6939
Senior - BHPian

I saw the most recent episode of DW TVs 'Drive It' (German TV), which features the EcoSport. The diesel version has recently been put on sale in Germany. The gasoline version is going to be released soon.

I'm confused because the reviewer says it is very spacious. He also said it was designed in Brazil and made in India. So does Ford India make export varieties of the original dimension, without bothering about the stupid 4m restriction?

Link below:

http://www.dw.de/drive-it-the-motor-...-17521873-9798
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 00:57   #6940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I saw the most recent episode of DW TVs 'Drive It' (German TV), which features the EcoSport. The diesel version has recently been put on sale in Germany. The gasoline version is going to be released soon.

I'm confused because the reviewer says it is very spacious. He also said it was designed in Brazil and made in India. So does Ford India make export varieties of the original dimension, without bothering about the stupid 4m restriction?

Link below:

http://www.dw.de/drive-it-the-motor-...-17521873-9798
Export versions are 4280mm and hence heavier too.
The chinese version is also 4280 mm.

Please excuse me for the picture quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img20140418wa0001.jpg  

Last edited by ecosport rules : 18th April 2014 at 01:09.
ecosport rules is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 11:49   #6941
BHPian

Quote:
Export versions are 4280mm and hence heavier too.
The chinese version is also 4280 mm.

Please excuse me for the picture quality.
Ecosport in the UK is 4m in length. The Chinese might be counting the spare wheel as well.

Quote:
Ford has done a good job with the rear, too. The C-pillars and wraparound rear screen mesh together well, and the rear door- mounted spare wheel is well integrated, keeping the EcoSport under four metres in length.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...-ford-ecosport

Quote:
How big (length/width/height in mm)? 3999/1768/1765mm
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/...14-CAR-review/

Last edited by blacksport : 18th April 2014 at 11:55.
Old 18th April 2014, 16:02   #6942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ecosport. The Chinese might be counting the spare wheel
The chinese version has more rear leg room(longer rear door) and the car is visibly bigger,4.2 metres is excluding the spare wheel.Boot space is the same as the Indian version( 348 litres).
I test drove the chinese version in Guanzhou in march 2013, that is when I fell in love with the car.

Last edited by ecosport rules : 18th April 2014 at 16:11.
Old 18th April 2014, 16:38   #6943

Hi everyone,

I've been running the RaceDynamics "Dieseltronic" Tuning box on my Diesel Ecosport Titanium for a few months, since my 10K service. My car has also been fitted with K & N air filters, and Yokohama Db 225/55 R16 tyres running on stock alloys.

My mother has a Trend Diesel, so we've been able to do direct comparisons between the cars, both for the performance and impact on ride.

The fitting of the box itself, though a simple plug-in to the ECU is complicated by the fact that access to the ECU is extremely tricky though the hood. The Tuning box comes with a remote which can be operated "on the fly" and has 4 modes: S-Stock, E- Economy, P1- Mild increase in performance and Economy, and P2 - 30% gain in performance, with 10% loss in economy. The claim is 110 bhp in P2 mode.

I've done 6000 odd kms of highway and city driving with the box fitted and my impressions are:

Pros -
1. Better driveability in E, P1 and P2 modes. Big speed humps can now be taken easily in 2nd gear.
2. Mild increase in performance in P1 and P2 modes. The gain is subtle and all round; does not feel like a 20hp gain.
3. Mild gain (around 0.2km/l) in mileage in P1 mode. Haven't driven enough in E mode to comment on mileage gain.
4. Less turbo lag - really linear acceleration now.
5. Revs faster and in-gear acceleration is more urgent. Pulls to 150kmph much faster than stock (subjective feeling relative to the stock car).

Cons -
1. It costs Rs. 20000.
2. Power gain is not as blatantly obvious as a remap.
3. Economy mode felt sluggish.

Re: The upgrade to fatter rubber: the stiffness of the ride is mildly increased on uneven surfaces, but the overall gain in security, grip, overall stance/look of the car makes it totally worthwhile. Car looks righteous now.

My feelings on the car are echoed by my brother - who is National Level Rally driver. The Ecosport handles twisties superbly, is really well-balanced and matches the Swift. Yes, there is more body roll, but it pulls out of corners much faster and belies it's raised ride height.

P.S. The Tuning box is for sale - anyone interested can p.m me. I am going to try a remap next
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-2wolv2q.jpg

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-2911dv6.jpg

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-30acpzc.jpg
FlyinDoc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 18:47   #6944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickrider00 View Post
Overall, I am satisfied satisfied with the car, not so with the dealership. Looking forward to valuable suggestions from all in this thread.
Gateway Ford is not exactly the epitome of efficiency when it comes to operations. I personally had unpalatable experiences with them, around 4 years back.
You may want to try another Ford dealer in Gangtok, Sikkim. I think its called Saharsh Motors and their workshop is located just before Mayfair Resort (on the opposite side of the highway)
I understand you live in Darjeeling (from your profile tag) so there will be a slight increase in travelling distance for service visits to Sikkim. In case you decide to visit, maybe it would be better if you can ask them beforehand / book a service etc. Saharsh Ford, Gangtok is owned by the same person who owns Bajla Motors at Siliguri (Salugara, Tata dealers). Maybe they will be able to put you in touch with the right person to talk to.

Drive safe & have fun with the beauty! Next time i visit Darj (my fav place) will take a look at your ES!
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 19:24   #6945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinDoc View Post
I've been running the RaceDynamics "Dieseltronic" Tuning box on my Diesel Ecosport Titanium for a few months, since my 10K service.
Nice info. Where are you getting the remap done? Are you aware if any such tuning boxes or remap is available for the 1.5 Petrol? Am desperate to bring more life onto my petrol engine. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks