Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2016, 19:03   #10771
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyas337 View Post
went ahead and got the RogersAB suspension installed at Hyderabad, Madhapur @ xenex for Rs. 6200.
Must say, the ride quality has gone terribly bad compared to earlier (tyre pressure of 32 PSI on all 4 wheels).
Probably Rogers suspension not meant for Ecosport
Thanks for this feedback. I previously toyed with the idea of the RogersAB suspension to alleviate the crashing sound when the suspension bottomed out. However, I later came to the opinion that it was better suited to softly sprung cars like the City, etc. So I never considered it. Given your feedback, I think I won't in future either. However, a fellow member ACM has been happy with his experience, though I presume his expectations of the suspension are different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by komalthecoolk View Post
By the way, a question for Diesel Ecosport owners. Can you please confirm that this silver cover in the middle in the photo attached ( I don't know what that is for) is a little disfigured like this or is it the case with my 2 day old car?
Not to worry, that is how the turbocharger shield appears in both the diesel and EcoBoost.

It looks odd, but is not a problem. We only notice this because Ford elected not to give the fibre shield for the engine, which comes with the Fiesta. Internationally, the EcoSport comes with such a cover, so if you wish, you can pick one up from Ford's ASS and fit it (try it first before buying). Just ensure that you remove it before giving your car for service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.sumit View Post
The only thing that I am not able to get over is the second gear acceleration. The car feels absolutely DEAD in the second gear after rolling over a speed breaker and this, I believe is the single sore point of the Ecoboost engine. I'm sure the diesel does much better in this case but being a petrol head for over 14+ years, the diesel clatter is something I cant live with and hence chose petrol over it.
I had a very similar reason for opting for the EcoBoost - I don't like the clatter of a diesel.

The tall second gear is a liability in the city, but it offers great fun on the highway - in second, you can accelerate to over 5000 rpm, which will put you at a speed of over 80 km/h - and this happens really quickly, its very exciting to experience. So, if you've lost speed on the highway, its a great way of getting back to cruising speed (it hurts your mileage if you do this too many times!). For the hundreds of times I curse the second gear in the city, doing this a few times on the highway makes it up to me and puts a smile on my face!

Last edited by arunphilip : 18th October 2016 at 19:09.
arunphilip is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 21:41   #10772
BHPian

Has someone considered the idea of upgrading the suspension to aftermarket ones like bilsteins ?
Old 19th October 2016, 01:17   #10773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB311 View Post
I feel that now the suspension (after the 3 months abuse i gave it) has improved and gone soft. I feel, suspension in Ecosport improves with age.
I always thought, its the other way - would have poor suspension as they age.

My father's car is 10 year old TATA Indigo sedan (the initial one launched with 4+ mt in length) - the suspension is not that good as it used to be earlier and has aged with the car (60k KMs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
We only notice this because Ford elected not to give the fibre shield for the engine, which comes with the Fiesta. Internationally, the EcoSport comes with such a cover, so if you wish, you can pick one up from Ford's ASS and fit it (try it first before buying). Just ensure that you remove it before giving your car for service.
arunphilip, why do you recommend to have this removed before giving the car for service?

Ecosport_Rules has this installed probably 3 years back on his ecosport. I checked with the dealer here at HYD. They don't have this in stock and neither have a clue on this. I will try to get this installed directly at the service center during my first service this weekend.

Will also look for the LED DRLs and check out if they are worth installing

Last edited by Eyas337 : 19th October 2016 at 01:27.
Old 19th October 2016, 07:33   #10774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Despite all the positive reviews on Ecosport ride quality (though it being on the stiffer side), what I've felt (my experience) is that Ecosport isn't good for those with aged parents or one's suffering with back pain. There is lot of tossing around of passengers (including driver), involved when driving on a bad patch of road.
EcoSport' suspension is slightly stiffer than Fiesta to aid handling as it sits way taller than the sedan or hatch. And there will be increased roll too as the center of gravity is high. That's the reason for it to fare not so well on our broken roads. But it rides well on smooth flowing tarmac for a vehicle that is so tall but with that small footprint due to that stiffer suspension.

Why don't you try softer tyres like Michelin P3ST? Those can really help the ride. Both MRF and Goodyear which are the stock tyres for EcoSport aren't noted for comfort.

Also, I am interested in coil spring adjusters. PM on the way!
Old 19th October 2016, 07:47   #10775
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
arunphilip, why do you recommend to have this removed before giving the car for service? Ecosport_Rules has this installed probably 3 years back on his ecosport.
I'd recommended removing the fibre engine cover before servicing because it shouldn't get lost in the service centre by the people working on the car - they remove it, but forget to put it back assuming that the EcoSport doesn't come with the engine cover. Good to know ecoSport_rules has fitted this, and good luck in sourcing one yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Also, I am interested in coil spring adjusters.
Coil spring adjusters for the Fiesta can be seen here, in case that's what you were asking about: http://www.rogermotors.com/rogerab/f...11-52540526498

GTO's thread about coil spring adjusters is here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...uspension.html
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 08:39   #10776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

Why don't you try softer tyres like Michelin P3ST? Those can really help the ride. Both MRF and Goodyear which are the stock tyres for EcoSport aren't noted for comfort.
I've gone through the tyre upgrade thread and there are people floor and against every tyre. I got a feeling that comfort tyres have softer side walls and break easily. Is that really that easy? Is there anyone who's upgraded from the default MRF to any other tyre and has felt better comfort and not have their tyre explode on bad roads?
Old 19th October 2016, 09:09   #10777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've gone through the tyre upgrade thread and there are people floor and against every tyre. I got a feeling that comfort tyres have softer side walls and break easily. Is that really that easy? Is there anyone who's upgraded from the default MRF to any other tyre and has felt better comfort and not have their tyre explode on bad roads?
New age Michelins are robust enough. So no, they won't explode. The sidewalls are not weak and build quality is great.

This is from my experience of using XM1+, XM2 on Swift and now the P3ST on the Fiesta. Exercise caution while going over stones, slabs, kerbs etc. and always maintain sufficient pressure. That's all you need to do.

The only issue is a bit of roll, but then you can't have it all with one tyre.
deetjohn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 09:50   #10778
BHPian

Quote:

By the way, a question for Diesel Ecosport owners. Can you please confirm that this silver cover in the middle in the photo attached ( I don't know what that is for) is a little disfigured like this or is it the case with my 2 day old car? The SA while giving me the demo for the car during the delivery showed me this and confidently told me this is how it is for all Ecosport. These cars are assembled by robots and there's no chance for damage during assembly. Can someone confirm?
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post

Not to worry, that is how the turbocharger shield appears in both the diesel and EcoBoost.
Even I had the shock of my life when I noticed this on my Ecoboost a couple of days into my ownership. I immediately took it to the dealer who said that this is not an issue and its same for all Ecoboost. I dont know why this should be happening though.
amit.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 10:02   #10779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the way, a question for Diesel Ecosport owners. Can you please confirm that this silver cover in the middle in the photo attached ( I don't know what that is for) is a little disfigured like this or is it the case with my 2 day old car? The SA while giving me the demo for the car during the delivery showed me this and confidently told me this is how it is for all Ecosport. These cars are assembled by robots and there's no chance for damage during assembly. Can someone confirm?
That is the heat shield for the turbo, and that is NOT disfigured. It comes in this shape and is assembled like that, and this would stay this way even after your car accumulates mileage too. This is kind of same with many other manufacturers too. Need not even spare a thought on this, absolutely nothing to worry
aravind.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 11:14   #10780
Senior - BHPian

Folks - i was filling up diesel this morning at a Shell pump and they also offer oil change in 10mins. I was looking to get the Oil changed but the person mentioned that they have a semi-synthetic oil which will last 8000kms and will cost Rs.1675. Upon asking as to why would the oil change internal be shorter than what Ford recommends (10k kms) with a regular mineral oil, they had no answer.

Any one has experience with Shell Helix? Is it worth getting the oil change at Shell pumps?
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 12:22   #10781
BHPian

Hi

I got my Ecosport Automatic an year back.
After the second free service (due after one year), I noticed that the Fan keeps running for almost 45 seconds, even after shutting down the engine and locking the car. This was not happening before.

The service center says this is common and nothing to worry about. When I first informed them after a few days after service they asked me to bring the car back and they said they have fixed the fan running but they insisted it happens with all cars and nothing to worry about.

Does anybody else experience this issue?

Regards,
DoNotHorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 12:45   #10782
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoNotHorn View Post
Yep, happens with my car (AT) as well.

It doesn't happen all the time; depends on the driving style preceding the halt. Typically if you've driven though peak traffic or if you've pushed the engine, or the a/c has had a lot of work to do, or if the car has a good amount of load.

Now, after I've arrived at my destination, I just idle for a min or so and then shut down the engine. Fan shuts down with the engine.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 12:50   #10783
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

Regards,
Mine is an EcoBoost and the fan almost starts immediately when you start the A/C even when the car is idle. Even otherwise, just run the car for 2 minutes and the fan starts. Keeps spinning even after turning the car off. How long depends on how hot the engine is. I was told by Ford SA that its common, esp with EcoBoost. I presume this is because its an cast Iron engine and heats up a lot.

Arun will definitely help with the correct theory here.
penpavan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 13:35   #10784
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've gone through the tyre upgrade thread and there are people floor and against every tyre. Is there anyone who's upgraded from the default MRF to any other tyre and has felt better comfort and not have their tyre explode on bad roads?
I've upgraded from MRF to Michelin's Primacy 3 ST (P3ST), and have been happy with it. Despite having gone into some bad potholes at speed, I've not noticed any damage to the tyre, no sidewall damage, etc. I've had two punctures to date due to nails, but nothing else, in the past 3+ years of ownership. The earlier XM1+, XM2 tyres from Michelin had a problem of weak sidewalls as they were designed for European roads, but the P3ST is designed for Asian (i.e. bad) roads and has seemed capable enough.

I'm pretty confident that you're not going to drive fast through bad roads - both for the sake of your back, and your car. On that basis, any tyre should serve you well, don't worry. Go ahead and choose one of the tyres based on price/appearance, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
the person mentioned that they have a semi-synthetic oil ... Any one has experience with Shell Helix? Is it worth getting the oil change at Shell pumps?
Nilesh, in principle, there's nothing wrong in getting your oil changed to a Shell semi-synthetic oil, provided it matches the grade 5W-30 and specification Ford WSS-M2C913-C (we'd discussed this a few weeks ago).
Name:  Engine Oil Grade.gif
Views: 2756
Size:  17.1 KB

Shell has a fully synthetic Shell Helix Ultra that matches the specification, but I've not seen any Shell semi-synthetic oil (i.e. Shell HX7) that meets Ford's grade of WSS-M2C913-C, or even A5/B5. So please double check what semi-synthetic oil the Shell chaps are offering you.

In advance, check that they have the correct oil filter and gasket for you to change, and ask them to show it to you (it should ideally have branding of Ford, FoMoCo or Motorcraft). Bear in mind that changing the engine oil without changing the oil filter is kind of pointless - once a filter has caught its capacity of contaminants, it will no longer filter the oil (a bypass valve will activate to skip the filter). Likewise, the gasket for the oil filter is single use, and needs to be changed.

In general, I would recommend you (and others) to stick to oil changes at Ford's service centre itself, since the oil change interval and service intervals are the same - with you being present to ensure the oil is fully drained and the filter changed. However, given the concerns you had reported earlier, you might wish to change the oil outside.

Quote:
I noticed that the Fan keeps running for almost 45 seconds, even after shutting down the engine and locking the car.
As libranof1987 and penpavan have mentioned, this is quite normal, and libranof1987 has listed out the common reasons for this.

To be sure, when your engine is cold, check the coolant level in the coolant reservoir (when you open the bonnet, this is on the far left corner and contains an orange liquid). Likewise, check your oil level via the dipstick. As long as the level is between min and max, you're fine, and the fan behaviour is normal.

Last edited by arunphilip : 19th October 2016 at 13:45.
arunphilip is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 17:03   #10785
BHPian

[quote=arunphilip;4077633

In general, I would recommend you (and others) to stick to oil changes at Ford's service centre itself, since the oil change interval and service intervals are the same - with you being present to ensure the oil is fully drained and the filter changed. However, given the concerns you had reported earlier, you might wish to change the oil outside.
[/QUOTE]

I've been looking forward to switch to Synthetic Oil however the FORD ASS (Harpreet Ford, Delhi) refuses to do so, citing that this will void warranty. How true is his statement ?
BB311 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks