Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2016, 14:24   #10681
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by komalthecoolk View Post
There are still a few cases like the one you mentioned and a few others that scare me a little, that might force me to spend money on 3 years additional warranty where it might not have been necessary on a manual car.
In general, going in for the extended warranty is always recommended, irrespective of the type of engine/gearbox. So, if you feel that you wouldn't get the EW in a manual car, then the same reasoning would/should apply to the AT.

The positive thing about Ford is they are very decent in making free replacements in the AT gearbox if they detect an issue. This is quite unlike Skoda where DSG failures are a proper nightmare in terms of service experience.

If you're still nervous about the AT, consider the diesel - its just 5,000 more than the AT, and will offer good city driveability. The manual 1.5L petrol will also give good city driveability, but is not available in the Titanium+ variant (so you lose 4 airbags) and is 1.2 lakh cheaper in the Titanium trim compared to the AT and T+ diesel.
arunphilip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 16:39   #10682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Arun for the positive words! That article was super helpful in understanding some of the concerns I heard from people who seemed like they weren't aware of how this mechanism works. There are still a few cases like the one you mentioned and a few others that scare me a little, that might force me to spend money on 3 years additional warranty where it might not have been necessary on a manual car. I now don't know if the additional initial cost of the AT + additional warranty is worth the as compared to the manual petrol.
The AT is worth every paisa of your money - especially if your priorities are safety and ease of driving in city traffic. Yes - there have been concerns about the dual clutch tech and that little element of risk of failure is always there. But then there is always a bit of a risk in the purchase of any car (one could always get landed with a lemon). One has read about AMTs going kaput as well.
The AT version is loaded and is a real VFM proposition.
That said, I share your concern, because I live with that slight fear that my Ecosport's transmission may pack up sometime.
And I second Arun Philip's advice on extended warranty.

Last edited by wilful : 19th September 2016 at 16:40.
wilful is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 20:22   #10683
BHPian

Hi all,

Recently on my trip to Goa, while returning to Hyderabad, about 500 Kms away from Hyd, we missed an unmarked speedbreaker and went over it at around 60kmph. The front of my ecosport was airborne for a moment and landed with a thud. I got down and examined and fortunately there were no rim bends or any other physical indications that something went wrong. We covered the remaining 500Kms without any drama.

Just wanted to know from the experts here if I need to get anything checked due to this incident. I didn't notice any difference in the way the car handled for the rest of the trip and I was gunning it at some unmentionable speeds on smooth and empty roads and I didn't feel any wobbling as well. I hope everything is alright.
Old 19th September 2016, 21:41   #10684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
Hi all,

Recently on my trip to Goa, while returning to Hyderabad, about 500 Kms away from Hyd, we missed an unmarked speedbreaker and went over it at around 60kmph. The front of my ecosport was airborne for a moment and landed with a thud. I got down and examined and fortunately there were no rim bends or any other physical indications that something went wrong. We covered the remaining 500Kms without any drama.

Just wanted to know from the experts here if I need to get anything checked due to this incident. I didn't notice any difference in the way the car handled for the rest of the trip and I was gunning it at some unmentionable speeds on smooth and empty roads and I didn't feel any wobbling as well. I hope everything is alright.
Ford suspension is pretty solid unit, I doubt if anything would have got damaged. The thud sound should be the shocks hitting the stopper. What you might want to check is wheel alignment.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 22:37   #10685
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
we missed an unmarked speedbreaker and went over it at around 60kmph. The front of my ecosport was airborne for a moment and landed with a thud.
As PrideRed has mentioned, that is just the sound of the suspension reaching the end of its travel and hitting the stops. Its not a problem if it happens occasionally by mistake, just don't get into the habit of driving such that it happens often.

There's no damage caused by it at all. The tyres, rims and suspension are all tough enough to absorb that.

Good you stopped and checked, and also monitored its behaviour while in motion. Your bum didn't tell you anything was wrong with the car, which usually means nothing is wrong.

The first time I did this, I was sure I'd cracked an alloy, it was that loud!

This aspect of the EcoSport was criticized in the UK reviews (described as "the suspension crashes over deep potholes"), and Ford actually responded to it by releasing the 2015 EcoSport in the UK which had a revised suspension setup (different damper rates, and a stiffer anti-roll bar to reduce body roll). I don't think the 2015 facelift of the EcoSport in India came with these mechanical changes.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 22:53   #10686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
This aspect of the EcoSport was criticized in the UK reviews (described as "the suspension crashes over deep potholes"), and Ford actually responded to it by releasing the 2015 EcoSport in the UK which had a revised suspension setup (different damper rates, and a stiffer anti-roll bar to reduce body roll). I don't think the 2015 facelift of the EcoSport in India came with these mechanical changes.
I may be wrong but I think Mr 'Ecosport Rules' added the below buffer just to avoid the same thud.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3272330

Quote:
In general, going in for the extended warranty is always recommended, irrespective of the type of engine/gearbox. So, if you feel that you wouldn't get the EW in a manual car, then the same reasoning would/should apply to the AT.

If you're still nervous about the AT, consider the diesel - its just 5,000 more than the AT, and will offer good city driveability. The manual 1.5L petrol will also give good city driveability, but is not available in the Titanium+ variant (so you lose 4 airbags) and is 1.2 lakh cheaper in the Titanium trim compared to the AT and T+ diesel.
I know you don't have the answer to EVERYTHING but, I take a short route to office to half 4he distance I have to travel. Out of the 6 km, almost 2.5km is broken bad roads. The suspension aside, do you guys think the everyday slow drive (10-20 kmph) over the bad roads will wear out the clutches in this mechanism sooner than its life is? Manual on the same road is no easy task changing the gears all the time but wear and tear is my concern.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 20th September 2016 at 00:27. Reason: merging posts. Kindly use the edit option when replying within 30minutes. Thanks.
komalthecoolk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 23:30   #10687
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I may be wrong but I think Mr 'Ecosport Rules' added the below buffer just to avoid the same thud.
Good point - both he and ACM have installed suspension mods in their respective EcoSports.

I've never taken the plunge, since I've now adapted to the EcoSport's suspension and its behaviour, and just ensure I drive around it. I don't think I've caused a thud in my suspension in nearly a year.

On the contrary, in the first 6 months or so of my ownership, I did it a handful of times, as I was still coming to terms with its behaviour!

I'd suggest a similar approach for you - try your EcoSport as-is for a few months, and if you find your driving style is causing these thuds to come somewhat often, only then install the coil spring adjuster/Roger's kit.

Quote:
I take a short route to office to half 4he distance I have to travel. Out of the 6 km, almost 2.5km is broken bad roads. The suspension aside, do you guys think the everyday slow drive (10-20 kmph) over the bad roads will wear out the clutches in this mechanism sooner than its life is?
Bad roads and slow driving will not cause a problem at all. Yes, there will be some gear shifts between 1-2-3, but that's well within the design limits of the transmission.

In fact, if you're driving with minimal stops for that 2.5 km at a slow speed, you're probably treating the transmission better than those who are in stop-and-go traffic between traffic signals!

Moving away from the transmission, have you test driven an EcoSport on that stretch of road? It doesn't have to be the AT, but any EcoSport, just to feel the suspension and comfort? The EcoSport's stiffer suspension isn't geared for comfort at slower speeds (it can be bouncy), so I hope the ride is acceptable to you.
Old 19th September 2016, 23:46   #10688
BHPian

Quote:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3272330

I did apply the similar buffers from a brand known as rogerabs in my car. Thuds were gone for sure, also body role became non existent, however, the suspension became a bit harder on slow speeds. I had to get them removed because I was not comfortable with low speed driving over potholes and speed-breakers.
BB311 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 03:19   #10689
BHPian

Quote:
There is an extension of 3 years available for a total coverage of 5 years.
My understanding was that, now EW comes only for additional 2 years and not more than that. I took the delivery a month back and the option available on EW was for additional 2 years / 80k KMs (so totally 4 years or 80k KMs). I did get this for free (corporate offer - after showing my company ID card).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB311 View Post
I did apply the similar buffers from a brand known as rogerabs in my car. Thuds were gone for sure, also body role became non existent, however, the suspension became a bit harder on slow speeds. I had to get them removed because I was not comfortable with low speed driving over potholes and speed-breakers.
I'm planning to get this installed (same brand) but couldn't get it done over the weekend due to part unavailability at the workshop. Have already paid advance for those to be ordered / sourced .

Watched quite a few videos on youtube and also on their website - I thought these were installed primarily to make the ride comfortable with low speed driving over potholes and speed-breakers. Even my intention of getting these installed also were to make the drive comfortable for rear seat passengers.

Last edited by Eyas337 : 20th September 2016 at 03:27. Reason: merged posts
Eyas337 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 08:05   #10690
BHPian

Quote:
Good point - both he and ACM have installed suspension mods in their respective EcoSports.

I've never taken the plunge, since I've now adapted to the EcoSport's suspension and its behaviour, and just ensure I drive around it. I don't think I've caused a thud in my suspension in nearly a year.

On the contrary, in the first 6 months or so of my ownership, I did it a handful of times, as I was still coming to terms with its behaviour!

I'd suggest a similar approach for you - try your EcoSport as-is for a few months, and if you find your driving style is causing these thuds to come somewhat often, only then install the coil spring adjuster/Roger's kit.

Bad roads and slow driving will not cause a problem at all. Yes, there will be some gear shifts between 1-2-3, but that's well within the design limits of the transmission.

In fact, if you're driving with minimal stops for that 2.5 km at a slow speed, you're probably treating the transmission better than those who are in stop-and-go traffic between traffic signals!

Moving away from the transmission, have you test driven an EcoSport on that stretch of road? It doesn't have to be the AT, but any EcoSport, just to feel the suspension and comfort? The EcoSport's stiffer suspension isn't geared for comfort at slower speeds (it can be bouncy), so I hope the ride is acceptable to you.
Mr Arun. You have no idea how much easier you are making it on me to stick with my decision. I drove the Ecosport petrol and diesel on different roads that did have bad stretches, alongside Verna. Verna just glided over them, Ecosport was definitely slightly bumpy but miles ahead of my i10. Where Ecosport was better was the taller seating and better lower back lumbar support which is my main problem due to an old surgery. Also, my parking is also made for sub 4 meter cars so the Verna was sticking out much further. I think I can live with a little bounce for this stretch everyday as compared to my i10.
komalthecoolk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 08:06   #10691
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyas337 View Post
My understanding was that, now EW comes only for additional 2 years and not more than that. I took the delivery a month back and the option available on EW was for additional 2 years / 80k KMs (so totally 4 years or 80k KMs). I did get this for free (corporate offer - after showing my company ID card).
I'm surprised your dealer didn't inform you about the 5th year warranty, because Ford India's website lists the 5th year Extended Warranty for the EcoSport and old Figo as shown below:
Name:  20160920 1.png
Views: 2524
Size:  15.4 KB
Note: The Figo and Endeavour shown above are the old models, and the new Figo/Aspire get more flexibility in their EW options.

Maybe you should show this Ford page to your dealer and ask him about the 5th year, if you're interested? If he still refuses, then ask him to show any communication from Ford that has stopped the 5th year Extended Warranty. Failing which you can also raise it with Ford Customer Care. Bear in mind that you can purchase extended warranty any time your car is within the manufacturer warranty of 2 years, but not after that.

Quote:
I think I can live with a little bounce for this stretch everyday as compared to my i10.
Happy to help! I carpooled with a friend who has an i10, and can totally understand what you mean by the bounciness of the i10. Its not just the suspension, but also the fact that the EcoSport's much larger tyres help it span broken roads better (due to it having 3 inches more diameter and 2 inches more width).

Last edited by arunphilip : 20th September 2016 at 08:32.
Old 20th September 2016, 10:14   #10692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
The AT is worth every paisa of your money - especially if your priorities are safety and ease of driving in city traffic. Yes - there have been concerns about the dual clutch tech and that little element of risk of failure is always there. But then there is always a bit of a risk in the purchase of any car (one could always get landed with a lemon). One has read about AMTs going kaput as well.
The AT version is loaded and is a real VFM proposition.
That said, I share your concern, because I live with that slight fear that my Ecosport's transmission may pack up sometime.
And I second Arun Philip's advice on extended warranty.
Also Ford India has a 10 year or 240000 km maintenance free gearbox warranty on there Power Shift Dual-Clutch Transmission (DCT).
Old 20th September 2016, 10:46   #10693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bageherath View Post
Also Ford India has a 10 year or 240000 km maintenance free gearbox warranty on there Power Shift Dual-Clutch Transmission (DCT).
Can you find any document that suggests the same? My SA doesn't seem to be aware of this.
Old 20th September 2016, 11:05   #10694
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bageherath View Post
Quote:
Can you find any document that suggests the same? My SA doesn't seem to be aware of this.
This has been an ongoing area of confusion, due to poor messaging by Ford. They intended to state that the gearbox is "sealed for life" and requires no maintenance for 10 years/2,40,000 km. This somehow got misconstrued into being a warranty.

Possible evidence its not a 10 year warranty? This was a post on the PowerShift thread that pointed out Ford material that spoke of a 10 year warranty. However, if you look at the second link that takes you to the Ford India website, it no longer mentions the 10 year warranty - indicating it was a mistake that was subsequently corrected sometime after the below post was made a year ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashua View Post
Here is the post that refers to Aspire AT DCT gearbox warranty. The quote is taken directly from the Ford Media release during the Aspire launch:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3779085

Here is the press release for the new Figo which also specifically mentions the 10 year 1 Lakh Km warranty on the automatic gearbox. http://www.india.ford.com/about/medi...=1249173475333
Having said that, the number of failures on the AT have been on the lower side, for the Fiesta, EcoSport, Aspire and Figo, all of which have the same engine/gearbox combination. And in none of those cases did the owners state that they had to pay out of pocket - Ford has always covered these fixes for free.

Last edited by arunphilip : 20th September 2016 at 11:18.
Old 20th September 2016, 15:25   #10695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Ford suspension is pretty solid unit, I doubt if anything would have got damaged. The thud sound should be the shocks hitting the stopper. What you might want to check is wheel alignment.
That's pretty reassuring. Yes, I checked the alignment and it seems like what it was before, just perfec!

Quote:
As PrideRed has mentioned, that is just the sound of the suspension reaching the end of its travel and hitting the stops. Its not a problem if it happens occasionally by mistake, just don't get into the habit of driving such that it happens often.

There's no damage caused by it at all. The tyres, rims and suspension are all tough enough to absorb that.

Good you stopped and checked, and also monitored its behaviour while in motion. Your bum didn't tell you anything was wrong with the car, which usually means nothing is wrong.

The first time I did this, I was sure I'd cracked an alloy, it was that loud!

Yes sir, I usually don't drive rash, I drive fast though and in the entire trip of nearly 1600 Kms, this was the only bump that I missed. But the thud sound also came once in the city when I crashed into a pothole at very low speeds of around 20kmph. The pothole was deep enough to cause the thud sound even at such slow speeds.

Quote:

I usually am a very alert and careful driver and handle the ecosport like a baby, so I'm guessing I won't be going for suspension mods at least till the warranty period is over. I'm at around 3.5k kms in about 4 months and these were the only two instances of me missing the pothole/bump.

Also, on a side-note I would like to add that the tyres on my trend+ came with MRFs. I must say that in the entire trip, I didn't face any kind of issues when breaking suddenly, when avoiding a two-wheeler that came suddenly into my lane, at decent speeds or on 2kms of bad stretch that had just sand and stones as road. In all these instances there was no drama at all and the vehicle behaved as expected. MRFs have been unduly criticized in this forum and I must say after this trip my faith in them have increased tremendously.

Last edited by saleem_k : 20th September 2016 at 15:27.
saleem_k is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks