Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2016, 12:34   #10741
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by komalthecoolk View Post
Rear camera > Auto-wipers + auto-dimming-IRVM right?
I would agree that the benefit of a rear camera outweighs the 3 'autos' - wipers, headlamps and IRVM. Having said that, a rear camera is not required if you are often parking in well-demarcated spaces like basement parking at home/malls/offices, since the mirrors and sensors are good enough.

The leather seats in the Titanium+ are a bit of a drawback. You'd need to be more cautious in maintaining leather compared to fabric, and leather doesn't breathe as well in warm temperatures. If I had a choice, I'd have opted for fabric.

At one time, the Titanium+ had the advantage of offering push-button start and keyless entry, but with that shared with the Titanium, its mostly the airbags and 3 'autos' that differentiate the two variants. And, the interior colour scheme, if that's a significant difference for the buyer.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2016, 12:57   #10742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by komalthecoolk View Post
I know that 6 airbags are something no one can predict if they need it or not but are the below features exclusive to the Titanium+ worth the 60K INR additional cost? The fact that I can't add the dealer fitted rear camera on the Titanium+ because of the sensors attached on the IRVM assembly also makes me think twice. Rear camera > Auto-wipers + auto-dimming-IRVM right? Has anyone found the Auto wipers and Auto headlamps something difficult to live without?
For me personally, safety is right at the top of my priorities. So I would happily fork out the premium for the extra 4 airbags alone. The presence of the other features would be the icing that I would happily nibble at but wouldn't really matter if not available.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2016, 16:01   #10743
Team-BHP Support

What's the R on the console for? Phone "roaming"?

The iPhone doesn't have a notification when I'm outside my home circle (although other phones typically do) so I'm curious.

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img_2663.jpg

Last edited by libranof1987 : 10th October 2016 at 16:02.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2016, 17:05   #10744
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
What's the R on the console for? Phone "roaming"?

The iPhone doesn't have a notification when I'm outside my home circle (although other phones typically do) so I'm curious.
Yes, the R stands for roaming. Its interesting to know that despite your iPhone screen not displaying it, this information is transmitted across Bluetooth for Sync to show it. It is possibly something sent along with the network signal strength.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2016, 23:54   #10745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithrnair View Post
Has anyone checked the below ?

https://harmanaudio.in/jbl-sportstag...o-package.html

Thanks,
Ranjith
Ranjith, do not go for sportstage or infact any complete Audio package. They might appear value to money, but you can never be sure if they are a perfect fit, or they sound according to your taste. These packages are just to ensure mass market, and for that believe me, the current setup of ecosport is sufficient. For proper Audio Upgrade:

1. Decide how much do you want it.
2. How much are you willing to spend.
3. Kind of music you hear.
4. Sound tone you want - Warm, Mellow, Bright, Neutral

Let us know about these queries in the Audio Upgrade thread, and ask for it, mention, that dampening is not required since its a Ford (Except Boot if you want a 12 inch + sub.

The market is wide with products of all variety taste and budget, but please, rather than going for a package, go for individually picked items preferably from European and American brands like DLS,Rainbow, Digital Designs Memphis etc.
BB311 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 03:09   #10746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I would agree that the benefit of a rear camera outweighs the 3 'autos' - wipers, headlamps and IRVM. Having said that, a rear camera is not required if you are often parking in well-demarcated spaces like basement parking at home/malls/offices, since the mirrors and sensors are good enough.
Arun, on this point I have a slight disagreement with you, however, this might be due to everyone's different perspective, so let put forward mine:
(to guide someone's purchase)
1. Rear Camera, would have outweighed the 3 Auto's only if it had the Auto diming feature and accurate like the one's in Hyundais.
2. Auto Headlamp is a real boon especially if you frequently visit basement parkings, your route is full of underpasses and / or tunnels, or you are just plain lazy. This feature is really a boon for many people, me included.
3. Yeah, Auto Wipers is a pure waste.

Quote:
The leather seats in the Titanium+ are a bit of a drawback. You'd need to be more cautious in maintaining leather compared to fabric, and leather doesn't breathe as well in warm temperatures. If I had a choice, I'd have opted for fabric.
Agreed on the maintenance part, but these leather seats loose the temperature sooner than the fabric seats when the Air-conditioning is turned on.

Quote:
At one time, the Titanium+ had the advantage of offering push-button start and keyless entry, but with that shared with the Titanium, its mostly the airbags and 3 'autos' that differentiate the two variants. And, the interior colour scheme, if that's a significant difference for the buyer.
^^ Airbags is a big deal and a huge difference, Interior color scheme is also something that can not be treated later with same perfection.

In short, what I mean with the above point is, Titanium(o) over Titanium does make a lot of sense if OTR price difference in the city of purchase is less than 50-60k.
BB311 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 08:07   #10747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB311 View Post
Arun, on this point I have a slight disagreement with you, however, this might be due to everyone's different perspective, so let put forward mine:
(to guide someone's purchase)
This is true. Let me share mine as the Fiesta has all three.

1) I for one rate the auto wipers on the Ford really high. Its great to use during monsoons. Works well.

2) Auto lamps - I have never really used it in the past 18 months or so. Its really very sensitive and comes on at about 5 PM and Kerala doesn't have many basement parking which are not lit, long underpasses or tunnels.

3) Rear camera - Don't miss it at all. The stock sonar sensor with both visual and audio warning is excellent. The visual warning on the MID is basic, but it shows each of the four sensors separately and can even pick up flower pots which are sitting perpendicular to the rear wheels. And the best thing is, the audio warning goes off only if the proximity threshold is breached. I.e. if I reverse the car perfectly into the garage, giving equal space on all sides, the audio warning will not go off at all. And when it comes on, its so seamless. A gradual increase in the note and frequency happens and it also reduces the volume of the songs accordingly. I don't miss a camera at all.

Edit:
Additional airbags are totally worth it. I so wish Ford gave all 6 airbags for the Fiesta instead of cruise control or stupid auto-fold mirrors. Its really different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by deetjohn : 12th October 2016 at 08:09. Reason: adding text.
deetjohn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 13:06   #10748
Senior - BHPian

24.54, 22.35, 21.58, 21.43 : kmpl figures for the last 4 tank fill. I fill-up when it reaches the quarter level and been getting these figures, thanks to the tall final drive and sedate driving through the rural roads.

There's this AC pipe vibration at certain lower rpm which can be heard inside an otherwise quiet cabin. Ford says, all is well. Yet again the metallic rubbing noise when at slow speed braking, which disappeared after the brake cleaning. Wasn't charged for it: there wasn't much of monsoon rains here, yet the monsoon camp went on and was charged Rs.0. Then there's this chirp from the accessory belt at cold starts, Ford says belt is fine.

It's been the 5th time the tail-gating biker failed to brake on time and like always, the spare wheel saved the cosmetic troubles. Had to replace the number plate though.

I have settled down comfortably with it's shortcomings like the stiff ride and funny steering. The Fiesta classic and Ikon ownership experience feels like the nostalgic college and school love, yearning for that one last drive..
ramzsys is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 14:05   #10749
vsh
BHPian

Hi friends,

I am in for a new car. I currently own Dzire vdi and my search list includes i20, baleno, brezza and Ecosport. I test drove the ecosport and verymuch impressed!

But coming from a Maruti which means ease of service and a good resale value, i am just wondering what would be the resale value and maintenance cost of Ecosport(diesel)?

My running is around 30000-35000 per year, and i change my car every three years.
Old 16th October 2016, 14:16   #10750
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsh View Post
But coming from a Maruti which means ease of service and a good resale value, i am just wondering what would be the resale value and maintenance cost of Ecosport(diesel)?
Regarding resale, check this LiveMint article, which shows the EcoSport has good resale, on the higher side, in fact: http://www.livemint.com/Money/Yy1CfE...used-cars.html
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-w_car_money_21sep.jpg
Quote:
“Ford EcoSport is quite a surprise; it holds a good resale value. Part of that is due to the fact that there is more demand for that car than Ford can currently meet. People still have to wait for 4-6 weeks before they can get one,” Chopra said. Dhruv Chopra is the chief marketing officer at CarWale.com.
Maintenance cost is very competitive in the market - there are owners who've clocked 30,000 kms and more, and have reported quite normal service costs.

Quality of maintenance is very dealer specific - so check with owners of EcoSports in Sirsi for their satisfaction.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 18:22   #10751
Senior - BHPian

I got a call from Ford India saying that my car is nearing 2 years and the Roadside Assist package is expiring. They have offered a year's extension and said the service centre will get back to me with the cost.
Is this worth considering?
Old 16th October 2016, 18:31   #10752
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
I got a call from Ford India saying that my car is nearing 2 years and the Roadside Assist package is expiring. They have offered a year's extension and said the service centre will get back to me with the cost. Is this worth considering?
Typically, RSA is also available at a cost, when a breakdown happens (as opposed to free RSA via a package). I'm not sure how much it costs (For reference, Hyundai charges Rs. 500 for each assistance callout within city limits, if a roadside assistance package wasn't purchased). So, you can choose to skip the RSA package, but just call them and pay actuals if - God forbid - you have a breakdown or otherwise need it.

Also, do check your insurance policy and credit card, to see if they offer roadside assistance. If at least one of them do, then you are anyway covered through other means.

Of course, my advice must be balanced against your usage patterns, and prior history of the vehicle. If you're often on the highway, you might want to opt for it, whereas in the city, you could just call up the service center on demand. If you've had problems previously, you might want to opt for it.

Since you drive the EcoSport AT, I would be a little more inclined towards getting the RSA. Even though you might not have had problems with your DCT, that gearbox is not as bulletproof as a manual transmission.

Could you please let us know what is the price offered for RSA (once you are informed)? Also, how much you've paid for the first 2 years of RSA.

Last edited by arunphilip : 16th October 2016 at 18:35.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 18:58   #10753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding resale, check this LiveMint article, which shows the EcoSport has good resale, on the higher side, in fact: http://www.livemint.com/Money/Yy1CfE...used-cars.html
Ecosport's Resale is really good. Had recommended one to my friend, he checked some Used ones & he found some examples

1. Ecosport D 1.5 Titanium+ Panther Black
December 2013, 38k, Asking Price - 9.5 lakhs
2. Ecosport P 1.5 Titanium Moondust Silver
April 2014, 29k, Asking Price - 8.5 lakhs
3. Ecosport D 1.5 Titanium+ Mars Red
August 2015, 11k, Asking Price - 10.5 lakhs

After seeing all these, he cancelled the plan & bought the the cheaper Ford Aspire Diesel instead. His previous car was Skoda Fabia 1.4 PD Elegance.

So High Reasle value will impress the Seller, but not the Buyer.

Last edited by CarguyNish : 16th October 2016 at 19:00.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 19:09   #10754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, you can choose to skip the RSA package, but just call them and pay actuals if - God forbid - you have a breakdown or otherwise need it.
Also, do check your insurance policy and credit card, to see if they offer roadside assistance. If at least one of them do, then you are anyway covered through other means.
Could you please let us know what is the price offered for RSA (once you are informed)? Also, how much you've paid for the first 2 years of RSA.
Thank you. Well - I think I'll wait to hear from the service centre regarding the cost and then take a call. My highway running is not that high.
I'll certainly share the quoted cost once they get back to me.
wilful is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 22:39   #10755
BHPian

So, after so much reading and bugging some of the patient BHPians, I finally went out and got myself a Silver TDCI Ecosport Titanium+. I'm going to write a little about my whole experience in brief here instead of starting a whole thread for it.

As some of you (victims of my harassment) might know, my choices were all over the place. That's because I found that for every particular requirement, there was one car that was excellent at it but there's no car, at least in my budget that, that satisfied all my requirements. I finally decided to get the car that attracted me from the beginning in spite of its few drawbacks.

I pestered Mody Ford A LOT and managed to get the car within 4 days of booking. (To give credit to Vibrant ford, they also were also willing to do the same but in different colors that I didn't like). VIN number tells me Aug 2016 manufactured, so hopefully there's nothing fishy there. My family, I, the showroom guys and the bank loan officer stayed in office till 9:30PM so that I get the car on the day I was promised it would be delivered. Kudos to all of them!

I've driven around 50 kms in the first day. My following initial impressions were exactly as expected as I had read SO much about the car already and done multiple test drives. By the way. very important point: I realized we need to take all reviews with a pinch of salt. People have to mention all aspects of a product and they feel that they HAVE to categorize everything into positive or negative. This can be detrimental to a prospective buyer who's already liked the car for its other features. For example: for the SUV/mini-SUVs I was looking at, if the suspension is a little hard, they mention it as "stiff suspension" under cons. If it is a little plush, they mention that the SUV drives more like a car than an SUV. Try it yourself to see if it's a pro or con is my opinion.

The below points are very personal views of mine as someone who's only driven a bare minimal petrol i10 era for 7 years, who's 6 feet tall with relatively long legs, who's been suffering with on and off chronic back pain.

What I like:
1. Higher riding position.
2. Excellent lumbar supported seating.
3. Solid build of the car, or at least the feel of it.
4. Having all the advanced features it has that weren't in my i10 era, which is basically everything. Auto headlight proved itself useful already in a basement parking.
5. OEM music system is satisfying enough to hold back the upgrade for an year or two.
6. Yes, the suspension is harder than sedans like Honda City but I see even some City owners complaining about the suspension. For me, I can see that the Ecosport eliminates at least 30-40% of the discomfort I have had on bad roads with my i10. I can only pray for better roads in the near future. When someone mentions that a particular car is not good or not made for Indian roads, I don't blame the car. It's an insult for our governments to make bad roads as a standard expectation.
7. The fold and collapse type rear seats with 60-40 split that I can think of using in many different ways. Which is why I personally think Sedans boot space is no use for me as it is isolated.

Where I have to compromise.
1. Tyre noise with the MRFs I got. I am not sure what is a safe upgrade path for the tyres to get over this and may be give me a little better comfort.
2. I've already had close calls where an auto-folding OVRM would have been very helpful.
3. Being tall in a tall car, I would have loved for the base of the seat to be longer to provide thigh support. I hope this won't mess up my knee in the long run.
4. Not being able to modify the seat covers because of the airbags. I would have liked a little more foam and a combination of lighter and darker colors.

Where I am unsure:
1. The driving experience with a diesel car coming from a petrol car is something to get used to. Different power and driving experience at different gears between the two cars.
2. The diesel engine sound, no matter how less, is very evident and I need to learn to ignore it.
3. No grab handles on a bumpy car because of air bags? Yet to see how my family rolls (pun).
4. Power outlets always on. Not sure about that feature because I have a USB charger with LED lights. I also may forgetfully plug something in for long when away from the car.

I could have stretched my budget and got any of the below cars but I found that even after spending a couple of lakhs more for certain features, they lack in something else that Ecosport was offering.

- Honda City: Excellent suspension and rich feel but I hate crouching for Sedans and don't like the low seating and the fact that there is no telescoping steering at almost 3 lakhs more.
- Verna: Decent suspension, loaded with features but when I took the test drive on the bad roads I need to take to office, the sales exec was very nervous about the front scraping against something. Also, the rear arm rests are weird and uncomfortable. Again, don't like sedans much.
- Duster: Very nice suspension. Inside feels not worth the high cost whether feature wise, or seating comfort.
- Linea: Would have been my first choice if there was some strong ray of sunshine for the future of the company for the many years to come. Really solid car and solid comfort.
- Creta: Very nice car but no matter how you look at it, it's expensive than what it needs to be. Also, some of the owners complaining about bad lumbar support was a big red flag.

I am hoping I made the right choice. With all the right care taking and proper upgrades, I am hoping I'll make this decision work. Lots of thanks to everyone who's contributed on the all the threads I've been browsing and a big thanks to ArunPhilip for patiently answering every question I threw at him!
komalthecoolk is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed