Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2016, 02:28   #10546
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Hello All,
Finally taking delivery today (ecosport), after 7 weeks of waiting (dealer wait time for 5 weeks and I had to delay by another 2 weeks due to personal / work reasons).

Is below true? Please let me know

Dealer is stating, as of Jun or Jul 2016 - dealers in Telangana state (Hyderabad) shouldn't arrange agents to complete the registration process of the car (permanent one) and make payments at RTO.

Customer needs to pay all the necessary fees at dealership, and they provide us with necessary documentation which needs to be submitted at RTO during the time of registration (no additional fees to be paid).

Also customer needs to book a slot with RTO online, for registering his vehicle and appear on that day with the documentation provided by dealer (no assistance provided at RTO by dealer agents).

P.S: I took delivery of a 2 wheeler (Honda Activa ), about 8 months ago. The dealer arranged for everything at RTO and their agent was ready for helping us out on the day we chose to register the vehicle. I thought it would be the same case with 4 wheeler's (car) as well.
Old 20th August 2016, 12:10   #10547
BHPian

Has anybody tried these spare wheel covers?. Costs just half if what is charged by Ford. Comes painted too.

http://www.industrybuying.com/automo...=stepney+cover
Old 21st August 2016, 02:28   #10548
BHPian

Friends - I believe this was already discussed here but couldn't find it.

Tried locking the doors from inside after getting into the car (do this as a practice), via remote and also the lock button on the center dash. But the car doesn't lock when in idle.

Its important to prevent opening the door / tail gate / fuel lid from outside by someone, after we get into the car -> important as a safety feature and also useful to stay safe within the car from hooligans.

Understand there is speed sensing auto lock as a feature in Ecosport, but why would this feature of locking from inside not available.

Am I missing something, or Ecosport is this way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Has anybody tried these spare wheel covers?. Costs just half if what is charged by Ford. Comes painted too.

http://www.industrybuying.com/automo...=stepney+cover
I did look it up earlier, but due to lack of reviews - ended up buying from ford for 13k today

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 21st August 2016 at 10:59. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 21st August 2016, 22:51   #10549
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyas337 View Post
Tried locking the doors from inside after getting into the car (do this as a practice), via remote and also the lock button on the center dash. But the car doesn't lock when in idle.
I usually lock/unlock the car from the inside using the button on the center console. I'm surprised its not working for you. Have you checked to see if any doors (including the boot) are ajar which might prevent locking?

I've noticed that the manual says "The remote control can be used any time the vehicle is not running". That would imply that the remote doesn't work when the vehicle is idling. I've never tried this, but for some reason assumed the remote would always work!

So, don't expect the remote to work, but the lock button on the center console should work.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 23:40   #10550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I usually lock/unlock the car from the inside using the button on the center console. I'm surprised its not working for you. Have you checked to see if any doors (including the boot) are ajar which might prevent locking?

I've noticed that the manual says "The remote control can be used any time the vehicle is not running". That would imply that the remote doesn't work when the vehicle is idling. I've never tried this, but for some reason assumed the remote would always work!

So, don't expect the remote to work, but the lock button on the center console should work.
Thanks Arunphilip - not sure what went wrong with the center console button for central locking yesterday, but today its working as expected.

Did try locking with the remote again today, while idling - as you mentioned, it didn't work. When the engine is on and car is idling at zero speed - the remote locking doesn't work (not sure what could be the reason for this).

Need to check with the engine off and the remote inside the car - if it locks or not
Eyas337 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 11:39   #10551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyas337 View Post

Need to check with the engine off and the remote inside the car - if it locks or not
It does. . Tried it last week. Sat inside and hit the remote lock.
Desmosedici is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 20:54   #10552
BHPian

A silly question from a Ritz owner to ecosport owners. I know the specs say ecosport is wider that Ritz. How does ecosport rear-seat space (width , thigh support, 3 adults seating comfortably etc. ) & boot space compare to that of Ritz?
Old 23rd August 2016, 21:03   #10553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
A silly question from a Ritz owner to ecosport owners. I know the specs say ecosport is wider that Ritz. How does ecosport rear-seat space (width , thigh support, 3 adults seating comfortably etc. ) & boot space compare to that of Ritz?
It may be wider but there are more of metal elements than the seat itself which will make 3 in the back difficult for long journeys. I would say 2 adults and a kid should be fine or else it's a tight squeeze.
johnruben is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 21:19   #10554
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Width - good for two people in comfort, 3 with a bit of a squeeze (depending on the size of the individuals). Bear in mind that the width quoted in reviews and brochures is the exterior width, and the EcoSport has thick doors and door panels (Ford aren't as good as Honda when it comes to liberating room within the car).

Leg room is good, though there's a bar under the front seats that might annoy the rear passengers (or they might use it as a foot rest, it seems to be very individual specific!). For the center rear passenger, leg room is somewhat compromised by the center console, so he/she can't stretch out if tall.

Overall rear seat comfort is good, particularly on long drives. The seats are reasonably firm (in a good way) so that ends up giving good support to its occupants.

However, the seat base is not very contoured, so if you have the top-end Titanium+ that comes with leather seats, then you'll find it a bit slippery. A good reason to convince the back-benchers to buckle up.
arunphilip is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 23:39   #10555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruben View Post
It may be wider but there are more of metal elements than the seat itself which will make 3 in the back difficult for long journeys. I would say 2 adults and a kid should be fine or else it's a tight squeeze.
Quote:
Width - good for two people in comfort, 3 with a bit of a squeeze (depending on the size of the individuals). Bear in mind that the width quoted in reviews and brochures is the exterior width, and the EcoSport has thick doors and door panels (Ford aren't as good as Honda when it comes to liberating room within the car).

Leg room is good, though there's a bar under the front seats that might annoy the rear passengers (or they might use it as a foot rest, it seems to be very individual specific!). For the center rear passenger, leg room is somewhat compromised by the center console, so he/she can't stretch out if tall.

Overall rear seat comfort is good, particularly on long drives. The seats are reasonably firm (in a good way) so that ends up giving good support to its occupants.

However, the seat base is not very contoured, so if you have the top-end Titanium+ that comes with leather seats, then you'll find it a bit slippery. A good reason to convince the back-benchers to buckle up.
Can the rear seat of Ecosport accommodate 2 adults (1 heavy built + 1 medium - both 5'3") + 1 infant seat over long journeys (~600 KM) ? Hows the boot space, is it good enough for 2 medium suitcases and 2 duffel bags?
Old 23rd August 2016, 23:56   #10556
BHPian

Quote:
Can the rear seat of Ecosport accommodate 2 adults (1 heavy built + 1 medium - both 5'3") + 1 infant seat over long journeys (~600 KM) ? Hows the boot space, is it good enough for 2 medium suitcases and 2 duffel bags?
2 adults of 5'3 and one heavy built along with a infant should be fine, I would suggest you to visit a Ford dealer near your place and try it yourself.

Regarding luggage, what you mentioned can be loaded in ecosport.
johnruben is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 23:59   #10557
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can the rear seat of Ecosport accommodate 2 adults (1 heavy built + 1 medium - both 5'3") + 1 infant seat over long journeys (~600 KM) ?
Is the infant in a forward-facing child seat? If yes, then the adults will find it tough, because child seats tend to occupy space and are uncomfortable to sit right next to (they're not soft like humans, and they don't adjust!)

If the child seat is rear facing, then it should be OK as the backrest of the child seat will not intrude too much into other passengers area; and if the infant is not in any kind of child seat then it should be no problem at all (although its not the safest option for the infant).

The journey distance is not a factor - if the people are comfortable sitting for 5-10 minutes, then any distance will be comfortably covered off. If they're adjusting and sitting, then its only tolerable for short distances.

A suggestion - why don't you try getting a Zoomcar EcoSport for a day, so you can comfortably try out seating permutations? A test drive is not long enough to get sufficient impressions, but a day-long rental should be eye-opening in whether the EcoSport suits your needs.

Quote:
Hows the boot space, is it good enough for 2 medium suitcases and 2 duffel bags?
No problems there, with 2 medium suitcases and 2 duffel bags. Don't keep the duffel bags at the very top, as braking can cause the duffel bags to move forward. Bungee cords would be a good idea.
arunphilip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 14:10   #10558
BHPian

Quote:
A suggestion - why don't you try getting a Zoomcar EcoSport for a day, so you can comfortably try out seating permutations? A test drive is not long enough to get sufficient impressions, but a day-long rental should be eye-opening in whether the EcoSport suits your needs.
I totally agree on that. Space & Power are subjective and you need to decide which works for you. This can only be done my taking extended test drives with people who will be sharing the car more often. As for me i drive alone 60% of the time, with a co passenger in front other 35% and backseat is occupied the remaining 5%. So i wouldn't even mind if my car was a two seater Also once during office party i packed 5 colleagues @ rear seat. But honestly space in back is comfortable for two full sized adults for long trips. If you want more space its better to get something with a extra row of seats rather than relying on middle seat i think. Its unsafe also i believe as there is no 3 pointed seatbelt for the middle seat.
Samfromindia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 16:50   #10559
Distinguished - BHPian

EcoSport in the UK gets a 140 ps EcoBoost engine

EcoSport in the UK gets a 140 ps EcoBoost engine
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-ecoboostdirectinjection_92.jpg

While perusing Ford UK's EcoSport site, I noticed that the EcoSport offered there has the same engine/transmission variants as in India. However, over there, the EcoBoost engine comes in 2 states of tune - the same 125 ps variant we get in India, as well as a 140 ps (138 bhp) variant. The 140 ps variant of the 1.0 EcoBoost engine boasts a 1-second faster run to 100 km/h, and a half-second quicker in-gear acceleration in 4th gear.
Name:  Ford UK EcoSport Engine Variants.png
Views: 3078
Size:  38.5 KB
Note: the 1.5 TDCi comes equipped with a DPF in the UK (unlike India), which explains the 95 ps figure (vs. 100 ps in India)
In the UK, the EcoSport is offered in 3 variants - Zetec, Titanium and Titanium S. The 125 ps engine is offered on the Zetec and Titanium variants, and the 140 ps engine is exclusive to the topmost Titanium S variant.

Here's hoping that Ford offer this engine variant when they next refresh the EcoSport, particularly as the shine of the EcoBoost has been dulled by the improved diesel engine.

Coming to the technicalities, the additional power from the EcoBoost engine has been achieved with a recalibration of the ECU to change settings for the turbo boost, valve timing, intercooler and throttle management. Ford have also certified the engine durability of this 140 ps variant at 150,000 miles (2,40,000 kms).

This 140 ps variant isn't new - it's been seen previously in the utterly sexy Fiesta Black and Red editions. How sexy? Well, judge for yourselves.
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-fordfiestablackecoboost140.jpg

Last edited by arunphilip : 25th August 2016 at 17:06. Reason: Resized image for watermark
arunphilip is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 21:46   #10560
BHPian

Hi, I'm taking delivery of my Ecosport TDCi Titanium tomorrow. The color I chose is Golden Bronze. The dealer is Kairali Ford, Trivandrum. I have a small concern.

While doing my PDI of the vehicle at the showroom, I found that the car came with a full size, painted spare wheel cover. The SA informed me that this was an accessory that would be available for an extra cost of Rs. 10700. I looked up the VIN on etis.ford.com, and found that the vehicle shows a Spare tyre cover - type 3 as standard fitment. It also mentions Conventional spare tyre and Conventional spare wheel as standard fitments. Now, I am worried that the spare underneath the cover might be a standard steel wheel, and the cover might have been put on at the factory to cover up the lack of alloy spare.

I have spoken to the SA, and informed him that I don't want the spare cover, and I also confirmed with him that the spare was indeed an alloy for the Titanium variant. Since the vehicle is being registered tomorrow, I intend to call him tomorrow morning and confirm that the alloy is indeed an alloy, before sending the vehicle for registration. If it isn't an alloy, I am going to ask him to switch it with an alloy in lieu of the wheel cover, before registration.

I have already put this up on the PDI thread, but the reason I am posting here too is that this thread is more frequented by Ecosport owners. Has anyone ever heard of an Ecosport Titanium being delivered with only 4 alloy wheels and a spare cover? Also, is there anything else I should watch out for, for this particular make, model and dealer?

Last edited by vivekgk : 25th August 2016 at 21:47. Reason: Spelling corrections
vivekgk is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed