Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2020, 00:20   #1456

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Hi Fellow BHPians of Grand i10 thread,

This is my first post on team bhp after account activation and unfortunately this is about a vehicle issue. Also I apologise profusely for this very longish post.

We have a 2014 Grand i10 , Magna, Petrol, KMS : 44,500

Recently, during one of our trips the speed of the vehicle dropped suddenly from 60-70 kmph to about 20 kmph on the highway!!! My Father was in the vehicle and they stopped at the nearest local mechanic who identified the issue as Spark Plug Failure and duly changed them for INR 100 per piece. The vehicle ran okay for next 3-4 kms and then the same problem reoccurred. The driver and the local mechanic had also noticed the issue of engine oil coming from dipstick upon opening in car start condition.

Next morning we had to tow the car to nearest Hyundai ASS in Mathura and after lots of interesting discussions with them they came back with below analysis :

"Your vehicle is unable to make the required compression in cyl 2,3 & 4.Compression readings only rec'd for cylinder 1 which is 02 psi.
Beside that same problem also confirmed in scanning diagnostics in which cylinder misfires detected in cyl 2,3 & 4 and also the
fuel injectors not functioning well for respective cylinders due to fuel quality issues.

As per above testings we have concluded that there is Engine compression increases in DRY Test Condition hence there is a leakage between
pistons and ring set. Hence Engine Overhauling is recommended for your vehicle.
"

I was also given an estimate of INR 55-60k for engine overhauling and further more in case any part fails like connecting rod, crank or any consequential damage etc which they said is very likely. All of this sounded like I am done for about a lakh and with no warranty!

Since the other nearest service station is approx 50 kms away in Agra (this one is Shanti/Shiel Hyundai in Mathura), with no other option of getting a 2nd opinion and with heavy heart I gave them approval to open the engine and do complete analysis.

Today when I called to check up, they said they have just started to open the engine and found that Catalytic Converter has gone bad and there is engine seizure. Although I am extremely illiterate on engine related terminologies, i understood that this CAT CON failure is another 20-25k.
  • As I am completely ignorant of engine related issues could you please guide me if this Hyundai ASS is taking me for a ride by making a small problem look bigger!!
  • Also, how common is engine back compression in petrol engine and that too at 45k milegae?
  • Does an engine overhauling means a cost of 55-60k minimum?
I do not have a lot of trust on this Hyundai service center due to some previous experiences as well.
white_wolf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 12:04   #1457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_wolf View Post
2014 Grand i10 , Magna, Petrol, KMS : 44,500
  • As I am completely ignorant of engine related issues could you please guide me if this Hyundai ASS is taking me for a ride by making a small problem look bigger!!
  • Also, how common is engine back compression in petrol engine and that too at 45k milegae?
  • Does an engine overhauling means a cost of 55-60k minimum?
I do not have a lot of trust on this Hyundai service center due to some previous experiences as well.
Before everything else, where is the car based? In north India or elsewhere? Am I correct in interpreting that this ASC is not your regular ASC where you perform the routine services?

How quickly can you get your car on a flatbed & taken to the other ASC, 50kms away?

This particular ASC’s diagnosis doesn’t make sense for a 6yr old car which has barely run 45,000kms, unless you have severely neglected to change the oil regularly.

Fuel quality issues are one thing, compression issues are another thing, the cat failing is another separate thing and now the engine has seized?! The hell is going on?!

These guys are either comically incompetent or they are taking you for an expensive joyride. I’m surprised they didn’t try to sell you a new car!

Ask them for proof of ALL their claims. Ask for videos of them doing the wet & dry compression test, videos of the seized engine which cannot be turned over manually, and ask for the proof of ALL scan codes which they claim (there should be P0302, P0303 & P0304, among others).

Don’t be intimidated by their scare tactics. I hope they haven’t already started replacing parts in your engine as I think it’s best to get a second opinion from a trusted mechanic/ASC, first, before any work even begins on your engine.

An engine seizing within 45,000kms warrants action from the manufacturer because it indicates severe lack of quality and/or manufacturing defect by the OEM.

These threads may be of use to you, to help you make decisions in future - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-pandemic.html (Are Service Centres fleecing, to make up for losses incurred during the pandemic?)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-response.html (Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!)

Good luck.

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 18th November 2020 at 12:08.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 17:28   #1458

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
Before everything else, where is the car based? In north India or elsewhere? Am I correct in interpreting that this ASC is not your regular ASC where you perform the routine services?

How quickly can you get your car on a flatbed & taken to the other ASC, 50kms away?

Good luck.
Thanks for a quick reply. The car is in North India - Mathura (UP). Mathura has one ASC (Shiel) and other option is Agra (50kms away) which has 2 ASCs.

I have not given them permission to start the work but only to open the engine for full diagnosis and firm estimate. I have also been asking the ASC to connect me to the Hyundai personnel to discuss this issue since last 10 days but they haven't connected me to them saying that Hyundai person has already denied the claim and all cost will have to be taken by us.

The vehicle is fairly maintained with two engine oil changes last year. We have used this ASC twice before and last service was with this ASC itself. So this ASC is not completely new to me, but i have earlier used a couple of other ASCs in nearby towns. Below is the service history so far (took this from Hyundai Portal itself):
  1. 24-July-14 -- 2200 kms -- First Free service
  2. 09-Feb-15 -- 9900 kms -- Second free service + Accidental repair (SAME ASC)
  3. 12-Sep-16 -- 19000 kms -- Paid service (diff Hyundai ASC)
  4. 29-Mar-19 -- 32000 kms -- Paid service (diff Hyundai ASC)
  5. 05-Dec-19 -- 39000 kms -- Paid service + AC repair work (SAME ASC)

All the paid services had Oil changes done. Due to the gap of 2.5 yrs in service 3 and 4 they have declined any kind of warranty support from ASC or Hyundai saying its a "Service Lapse" issue. This I think is a case of somehow rejecting the claim on technical grounds as total KMS in that duration was only 13,000 kms - which ASC guys themselves said is acceptable.

They also told me that this issue is only because of that service gap although the vehicle was running fine so far before the issue. Since there was no gradual drop in performance, how can there be an engine seizure issue now because of a minor service gap which happened approx 2 yrs ago is completely beyond me.

They have shared with me the attached DTC readings and one video as well.(unable to upload the video due to file format type)

I am thinking of pushing them to connect me with Hyundai person or i pack the engine and move away. But seriously, this has dented my confidence in Hyundai big time. This again underlies the fact that for a place like this where nearest ASCs are 50kms away, why Maruti is such a sane choice due to quality of services and more ASCs in general.

Crazy Driver's post of Hyundai issues is such an eye opener!!
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-img_20201110_101635.jpg  

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-img_20201110_125306.jpg  

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-img_20201110_133419.jpg  

Old 18th November 2020, 19:47   #1459
BHPian

Reposting here -
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4934284 (Engine Seize... What actually happens inside?)
Old 19th November 2020, 13:59   #1460
BHPian

Fellow Hyundai / Grand i10 owners. My key fob doesn't get detected 99% of the time. The key fob battery is fine - not the culprit. Neither do the key remote buttons work. I had the car serviced a month ago and explained the problem then. Was told it's some loose wire / connection in the car and a very small issue. Things worked for all of two days post service and back to same old. Any idea where this loose wire might be? Just wondering if I can DIY instead of going all the way to the service centre if indeed it is a small issue.

Best,
Promit
Old 18th January 2021, 22:20   #1461
Senior - BHPian

Slightly offtopic.
This is a query from my friend who owns grand i10 automatic 2017 model. Please provide your valuable inputs.

Quote:
Given the fact that ASC does no better general servicing compared to local workshops, I am thinking to go to local TRUSTED mechanic workshop for 25k service. I am a little skeptic about servicing a AUTOMATIC Transmission car with local mechanics. I am sure he is very good in servicing manual transmission cars. But are there any special care to be taken while servicing auto transmission cars?

Do you suggest to get the automatic transmission i10 car serviced with a local mechanic? Are there any risks? Please suggest

Last edited by gkveda : 18th January 2021 at 22:21.
Old 19th January 2021, 06:37   #1462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Slightly offtopic.
This is a query from my friend who owns grand i10 automatic 2017 model. Please provide your valuable inputs.
Is he getting any transmission work done on a three year old and 25k run car? If it is just an oil change and whatever else is needed (coolant, brake oil might need a topup) then any fng will work just fine

Make sure you use shell hx8 5w30 or shell taxi 5w30 - they’re the only two 5w30 oils on the market that meet Hyundai’s a3b4 spec for the grand i10.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 08:11   #1463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Is he getting any transmission work done on a three year old and 25k run car?

Make sure you use shell hx8 5w30 or shell taxi 5w30 - they’re the only two 5w30 oils on the market that meet Hyundai’s a3b4 spec for the grand i10.
Thank you hserus. I understand it is just general check up and servicing. So, are the tasks performed for general servicing is exactly the same for both auto and manual cars?
Old 19th January 2021, 08:28   #1464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Thank you hserus. I understand it is just general check up and servicing. So, are the tasks performed for general servicing is exactly the same for both auto and manual cars?
Mostly. The car’s manual will describe what is done in each service.
Old 19th January 2021, 22:28   #1465

I have a 2014 model and done only 30k KM. Suddenly my gear shifter wont go into first gear.
All the other gear changes are as smooth as earlier only the first gear wont engage.

Also my reverse gear gets stuck sometimes but that is an old issue.

Will i have to change the gearbox ? Anybody else facing this issue ? Somebody please suggest the next course of action.
Old 24th January 2021, 11:36   #1466
Senior - BHPian

Is "Shell Helix HX5 550039350 MGO 5W-30 API SL Premium Mineral Engine Oil (3.5 L)" good enough for 5000 kms/1year?

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B073FC37K4/

The car is Grand i10 Petrol 2014 and expected to run 3-4k kms in one year.

Edit: On Flipkart it says, free installation. Now what is that?

Delivery by 30 Jan, Saturday Free
Installation & Demo by2 Feb, Tuesday Free

https://www.flipkart.com/shell-helix...mffk4ywheug9ez

Last edited by mukeshgoel : 24th January 2021 at 11:47.
Old 24th January 2021, 12:12   #1467
Senior - BHPian

You need 15w40 API CH4 or higher for that car, not 5w30

Buy any decent 15w40 mineral diesel engine oil (Shell Rimula R4, Mobil Delvac MX etc) and fill it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Is "Shell Helix HX5 550039350 MGO 5W-30 API SL Premium Mineral Engine Oil (3.5 L)" good enough for 5000 kms/1year?

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B073FC37K4/

The car is Grand i10 Petrol 2014 and expected to run 3-4k kms in one year.

Edit: On Flipkart it says, free installation. Now what is that?

Delivery by 30 Jan, Saturday Free
Installation & Demo by2 Feb, Tuesday Free

https://www.flipkart.com/shell-helix...mffk4ywheug9ez
Old 24th January 2021, 12:17   #1468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You need 15w40 API CH4 or higher for that car, not 5w30

Buy any decent 15w40 mineral diesel engine oil (Shell Rimula R4, Mobil Delvac MX etc) and fill it.
Are you sure? I am talking about petrol Grand i10.

Any suggestions or links please. Don't want to spend much for back up / low usage car.
Old 24th January 2021, 12:32   #1469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Are you sure? I am talking about petrol Grand i10.

Any suggestions or links please. Don't want to spend much for back up / low usage car.
Oh sorry. Petrol i10 you need a A3B4 5w30 which means Shell Helix Taxi or Shell HX8 5w30. I don't think there are any mineral alternatives in 5w30 that fit this spec. Whatever Hyundai is filling as generic 5w30 from Servo will also work for you. Don't fill the HX5 shell, it is a very old spec.
Old 31st January 2021, 15:51   #1470
BHPian

My grand i10 2017 petrol MT went for regular service in November, in the invoice in the pending jobs section they mentioned clutch hard. After that in regular driving, I also feel clutch to be slight hard. The service advisor told me that it would cost me about 9k + tax (I am unable to recall the exact amount) and it won't be covered in warranty being a wear & tear part. But car has run only 12k kms, should a clutch get hard at this milage & shouldn't Hyundai repair it being a quality issue?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks