Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2015, 16:43   #2806
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive0107 View Post
However, based on previous posts looks like Nexa is not offering the HID projector headlamps as an add on. The deciding factor has to be whether you really need the HID lamps or not.
I read the same a couple of weeks back. They are costing around 30k if I am not wrong. I have TD'd the car at night with the HID lamps and I feel they work really well. The throw is superb and the Xenons really light up the road well. So I would go for them if they are available as an accessory.
Old 29th December 2015, 17:01   #2807
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
So I would go for them if they are available as an accessory.
Unfortunately Maruti Suzuki has decided not to offer this as an accessory.
Old 29th December 2015, 17:02   #2808

I have taken the delivery of my 1.3 Zeta in Gurgaon, and I must say that it is a very refined product in the market. I am waiting for the first opportunity to take it out on the highway for outstation trip, post which, I will write a detailed report of the car and its performance. Must say that I made a good choice by going for the Zeta variant, even though, the price on the delta model was much more attractive since the discounts are more too. Going by the brochure some of the key features offered on Zeta, make it a worthy choice because of the convenience factor.

Because of my family needs, I had shortlisted four cars, which were within my budget. CRETA, I simply cannot tolerate, but am surprised why it is doing so well considering a very depressing interior and rather low quality fitments. I have rated ECOSPORT, ZEST and SCROSS at par and finally SCROSS won my heart and mind. Only if TATA can manage to improve their image, I think in ZEST, they have an excellent product which can beat hands down any of the more fancy foreign products.
ubermeow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 21:05   #2809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermeow View Post
I have taken the delivery of my 1.3 Zeta in Gurgaon, and I must say that it is a very refined product in the market. I am waiting for the first opportunity to take it out on the highway for outstation trip, post which, I will write a detailed report of the car and its performance. Must say that I made a good choice by going for the Zeta variant, even though, the price on the delta model was much more attractive since the discounts are more too. Going by the brochure some of the key features offered on Zeta, make it a worthy choice because of the convenience factor.

Because of my family needs, I had shortlisted four cars, which were within my budget. CRETA, I simply cannot tolerate, but am surprised why it is doing so well considering a very depressing interior and rather low quality fitments. I have rated ECOSPORT, ZEST and SCROSS at par and finally SCROSS won my heart and mind. Only if TATA can manage to improve their image, I think in ZEST, they have an excellent product which can beat hands down any of the more fancy foreign products.
Congratulations Ubermeow great choice indeed. Which colour did you pick?

I agree with your assessment of the Zest. I did a TF and liked it but had a question in my mind, will it hold up after 50k kms? Did not want to proceed with such a question in mind. Let's hope the new gen Tata cars prove me wrong.
Old 29th December 2015, 21:30   #2810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpillai View Post
Hey Guys,

Is it true that the 1.6L version of S-Cross comes with a super charger ? I observed that in car (v)ale dot com and just read the official review here to confirm it. But, I could not find any mentioning about a super charger. Did anybody else notice that ?!!
As far as I know, they don't normally Supercharge Diesel engines (experts can correct me if I'm missing something here).

Superchargers are more commonly used on Petrol engines to improve output and basically are compressors coupled to the crankshaft of the engine which compress the air coming into the air intake.
Turbochargers use the exhaust gases to run a turbine, which drives a compressor to compress the air coming into the air intake.

(I've come to this conclusion from the sheer numbers of supercharged petrol engines and turbo diesel engines. But it is still a generalization)

I guess the listing on car wale is a typo, since the specs on the Nexa site state that the S-Cross 1.6 is Turbocharged with a Variable Geometry Turbocharger(Same for the 1.3 as well).
nmenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 21:45   #2811
BANNED

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Is it true that the 1.6L version of S-Cross comes with a super charger ? I observed that in car (v)ale dot com and just read the official review here to confirm it. But, I could not find any mentioning about a super charger. Did anybody else notice that ?!!
It is turbo charged one. Garrett is the supplier of the big turbo doing duty on the DDiS320.

Picture of it can be seen in the Official Review too.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 22:15   #2812
BHPian

Thanks nmenon.

I was just wondering, if it's true then how many other cars we have under 20 lakhs with super chargers!!

And, just to add one more point to your description of the need/role of a super charger - I have read some time back that super chargers come into picture when boost in power is required even before the turbo spools up. Or in simple words, to avoid/lessen the turbo lag. Also, if my understanding is right, super chargers are used only with turbo charged engines. Because super chargers alone won't turn to be as beneficial as when they work along with turbos. As you mentioned, super charger derive it's power from the same engine which it tries to boost up. So, you may find engines with turbo chargers alone, and engines with turbo+super chargers. But you may not find engines with super chargers alone. Experts please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 30th December 2015, 01:13   #2813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys,

The biggest advantage of a supercharged engine is that it does not suffer from any lag; a common complaint with the 1.6 S-Cross So that ought to answer your question
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 08:33   #2814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The biggest advantage of a supercharged engine is that it does not suffer from any lag; a common complaint with the 1.6 S-Cross So that ought to answer your question
Maybe this is the answer for the turbolag as it mentions 40% more power at start.
http://www.drakebox.co.uk/chip-tunin...onza-1744.html
Chillout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 08:51   #2815

Quote:
Congratulations Ubermeow great choice indeed. Which colour did you pick?

I agree with your assessment of the Zest. I did a TF and liked it but had a question in my mind, will it hold up after 50k kms? Did not want to proceed with such a question in mind. Let's hope the new gen Tata cars prove me wrong.
I had to settle for White even though my original choice was Granite Grey. But no harm done, I am loving it. As far as Zest is concerned, you are absolutely right that it's the Tata Badge and their worst ASS that comes in the way.....without peace of mind you cannot make a right decision. MS gives you what TATA does not, even though honestly speaking, I was looking at everything else other than a Maruti just few months back.
Old 30th December 2015, 09:33   #2816
BHPian

Have a question folks.. The S Cross owners manual says that the run in period is 600 miles or 960 kms. However a lot of other posts on Team-BHP suggest a run in period of 2000 odd kms. Does this vary by car or is it safe to just stick to the suggestion in the manual? What have the current S Cross owners followed?
Old 30th December 2015, 10:01   #2817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
Maybe this is the answer for the turbolag as it mentions 40% more power at start.
http://www.drakebox.co.uk/chip-tunin...onza-1744.html
I would not trust these figures quoted by tuning chip companies because a tuning box only tampers with a few parameters. I would much rather go for a good remap from reputable tuners such as tune-o-tronics. Anyway, that aside, turbo-lag though constantly referred to by most as the lethargy noticed before a turbo actually spools up, is actually not that at all. Turbolag is actually the slow throttle response that one gets at all revs in a turbo-charged car. That is the delay between when you mash the throttle and when you actually feel the car responding to that action. Though with many modern cars with drive-by-wire throttle and tunes that lean toward the efficient side, this is a common occurrence even in some naturally aspirated motors (ofcourse, nothing a reputable tuner can't fix with a good remap )

Quote:
But you may not find engines with super chargers alone. Experts please correct me if I'm wrong.
Several engines out there that use only superchargers like many Jags, Challenger SRT Hellcat, Z06 Vette identifiable by the lack of a turbo whoosh and a supercharged whine instead. Superchargers are just as good as a turbo when it comes to adding horses and some enthusiasts like me who love our naturally aspirated motors, find supercharging to be the only manner in which to go for forced induction due to the quick throttle response and predictable power delivery. However since superchargers derive their power straight from the crankshaft, they require more fuel and hence are less efficient which is why several manufacturers prefer turbos

Mods please merge my posts as I hadn't read vpillai's post earlier and now we're stuck with b2bs

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th December 2015 at 10:54. Reason: B2B posts merged.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 10:51   #2818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have a question folks.. The S Cross owners manual says that the run in period is 600 miles or 960 kms. However a lot of other posts on Team-BHP suggest a run in period of 2000 odd kms. Does this vary by car or is it safe to just stick to the suggestion in the manual? What have the current S Cross owners followed?
I suggest you to consider the period quoted by the manufacturer. It shall be safe enough.

Even after 600 miles (960 km), it is better not to revv the engine beyond 3000 rpm till 3000 km.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 12:05   #2819
BANNED

Quote:
Have a question folks.. The S Cross owners manual says that the run in period is 600 miles or 960 kms.
The 960 kms limit that is given in the owners manual is a minimum requirement for a good run-in. It is upto the owner whether to extend it to 1,000 or 2,000 kms. There is no such 'rule' as standard run-in kms to be followed.

In my Ritz, I did it for 5,000 kms and when I had bought my Swift, I did the run-in for 10,000 kms.

IMO, do the run-in till 1000 kms post that do not revv too hard but gradually increase as your car clocks miles.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 12:12   #2820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Several engines out there that use only superchargers like many Jags, Challenger SRT Hellcat, Z06 Vette identifiable by the lack of a turbo whoosh and a supercharged whine instead. Superchargers are just as good as a turbo when it comes to adding horses and some enthusiasts like me who love our naturally aspirated motors, find supercharging to be the only manner in which to go for forced induction due to the quick throttle response and predictable power delivery. However since superchargers derive their power straight from the crankshaft, they require more fuel and hence are less efficient which is why several manufacturers prefer turbos
Thanks IshaanIan.

I was more interested to know about cars with turbo+super chargers (twin chargers), and the Volvo XC90 seems to be one with that setup. Just out of curiocity, how many cars we have in Indian market with a twin charger setup. If somebody could name a few, it would be interesting to know !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks