Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2016, 14:38   #4246
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sip View Post
Has anyone come across inordinate delay in delivery for 1.6 of 2016 make? 40 days past since I booked 1.6 Delta inspite of efforts, no timeline for delivery till date! Its baffling !!

Any clue on this guys ?
This is more to do with Maruti.
I would recommending sending them an email.

Most 1.6 prospects have been told of a waiting period of 45 days, and even ours was recd. by the dealer well within the 45 days.

From what I understand from our 1.6 saga - Maruti produces the 1.6, but the dispatch to the dealer may not be as per the order recd. In our case, Maruti sent 3 1.6s to the dealer at the same time, even though there was a confirmed order for only 1. (We booked around 10th March - so a little before you).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
I test drove both the 1.3L and 1.6L S-Cross last week. I am looking for the successor of my brilliant Fiesta which has now run over 111 K kms.

I will test drive it once again and take a final call.
Honestly - as an ex Fiesta 1.4 Owner (and one who absolutely loved the new Fiesta), the S-Cross will not disappoint.
It has more body roll, but the engine and high speed mannerisms more than make up for it - especially on our roads. 500kms into the ownership period - I am in love and can actually see my average speeds increasing vis-a-vis the Laura! This is without crossing 2500rpm! Those undulations and bumps where you have to slow down in the Laura, this car flattens with ease and how!
Note: on an arrow straight and flat expressway - the Skoda would still trump this, but for our roads - this may just trump the Skoda.

Yes, the turbo-lag is a pain, but as I have found out, it's quite manageable though requires more downshifting when slowing down. With careful gearshifts (up shifting at 2,000rpm as opposed to 1750rpm, etc.) you're always in the power band.

Clutch again - no complaints so far. It is on the heavier side, but I have managed to bear it through traffic. But then again, if my route included battling traffic for an hour everyday - I would pick an AT. I've learnt that no matter how light the clutch maybe, you reach home much less tired in an AT.

However - if your route includes a lot of uphill driving, would urge you to reconsider. I say this because when you start off uphill in 1st gear, it is nearly impossible to shift to 2nd unless you revv it to around 3,000rpm - just to avoid the wrath of the the turbo lag.

Last edited by lamborghini : 2nd May 2016 at 14:51.
lamborghini is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 14:51   #4247
Sip
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
This is more to do with Maruti.
I would recommending sending them an email.

Most 1.6 prospects have been told of a waiting period of 45 days, and even ours was recd. by the dealer well within the 45 days.
That triggers my hope. By looking at 3 NEXA showrooms in Haryana dry of 1.6, I was preparing myself for longer wait.

On 20 Apr 16, I sent complaint through e-mail channel and continues to keep in touch with them till date, No commitment by Maruti except one vague apology letter by GM which say it may take 1.5 month (from 20 Apr). No response from NEXA and complaint is not closed yet!
Old 2nd May 2016, 15:31   #4248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I test drove both the 1.3L and 1.6L S-Cross last week. I am looking for the successor of my brilliant Fiesta which has now run over 111 K kms.
1.3 L was very ordinary and there was nothing special about it. The 1.6L engine was very impressive. The power, torque and the highway cruising capabilities coupled with cruise control and HID lamps were very mouth-watering features in the Alpha 1.6.
The negatives of the 1.6 Alpha are
Can you please throw some light regarding the highlighted statement? Except that the 1.3 SCross does not have the monstrous engine of the 1.6, it matches the 1.6 feature to feature. Also for daily run-abouts, its an extremely sensible engine and that is like 70% of the owners. Given its amazing fuel efficiency and almost negligible lag, its one heck of a product from Maruti stable.

Besides, SCross gives much much more at that value compared to the competition (Duster, Creta).
Old 2nd May 2016, 16:58   #4249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Except that the 1.3 SCross does not have the monstrous engine of the 1.6, it matches the 1.6 feature to feature. Also for daily run-abouts, its an extremely sensible engine and that is like 70% of the owners. Given its amazing fuel efficiency and almost negligible lag, its one heck of a product from Maruti stable.
Besides, SCross gives much much more at that value compared to the competition (Duster, Creta).
I totally agree
Unless you have a 6 lane highway with speed limit of 150kmph, there is hardly any utility point for a 1.6 barring the fun factor - the thing that the enthusiast is looking for. Buy the 1.6 for the fun factor and for those 100kmph+ overtakes.

If you are stuck to a busy town (barring those wide roaded metros, ring roads, sealinks etc.), the "psychological turbo lag" of the 1.6 which many have described will take a toll on the left knee. But for those highway cruisers, 1.6 definitely is a good choice at 14.5L OTR.

Feature to feature 1.3 alpha is as good as the 1.6, there is no other manufacturer that offers a lower capacity engine with all the top end features. No Duster 85, or Creta 1.4 offers all the features.

Remap it and it becomes 30-40% of the fun as well. At the current price point those who can spend 12.5 big ones can spend 14.2 as well. Please dont think that I am against the 1.6. I do love to have one. May be when Maruti launches the Grand Vitara with better tuning and NVH. Else in next 5 years a preworshipped Bavarian is in order.

If the 1.6 is Sachin Tendulkar or Sehwag, 1.3 is a Rahul Dravid or a VVS

Even a 1.3 clutch is tiring my left knee. After 14000km in the hippo I am more relaxed in the Celerio for daily routine. Will Maruti bring a TCSS gear box with AWD in the 1.6 anytime in the future.? May be the European facelift might change S cross es fortune. Until then 1.3 should keep me happy.

Last edited by sandygordon : 2nd May 2016 at 17:07.
sandygordon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 17:28   #4250
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

From what I understand from our 1.6 saga - Maruti produces the 1.6, but the dispatch to the dealer may not be as per the order recd. In our case, Maruti sent 3 1.6s to the dealer at the same time, even though there was a confirmed order for only 1. (We booked around 10th March - so a little before you).

Honestly - as an ex Fiesta 1.4 Owner (and one who absolutely loved the new Fiesta), the S-Cross will not disappoint.
It has more body roll, but the engine and high speed mannerisms more than make up for it - especially on our roads. 500kms into the ownership period - I am in love and can actually see my average speeds increasing vis-a-vis the Laura! This is without crossing 2500rpm! Those undulations and bumps where you have to slow down in the Laura, this car flattens with ease and how!
Note: on an arrow straight and flat expressway - the Skoda would still trump this, but for our roads - this may just trump the Skoda.

Yes, the turbo-lag is a pain, but as I have found out, it's quite manageable though requires more downshifting when slowing down. With careful gearshifts (up shifting at 2,000rpm as opposed to 1750rpm, etc.) you're always in the power band.

Clutch again - no complaints so far. It is on the heavier side, but I have managed to bear it through traffic. But then again, if my route included battling traffic for an hour everyday - I would pick an AT. I've learnt that no matter how light the clutch maybe, you reach home much less tired in an AT.

However - if your route includes a lot of uphill driving, would urge you to reconsider. I say this because when you start off uphill in 1st gear, it is nearly impossible to shift to 2nd unless you revv it to around 3,000rpm - just to avoid the wrath of the the turbo lag.
NEXA guys informed me that it would take about 45 days for delivering the 1.6 Alpha from the date of ordering.

Most of my driving (over 75%) is on highways and i just love the Fiesta (mine is the 1.5 L) for its handling, car-control and dynamics. Finding a good replacement it has become a challenge.

Like i said, i simply loved to drive the 1.6 Alpha. The handling is bang-on, car is very sturdy on bad roads, gives me a lot of confidence, etc etc. The sheer amount of pleasure when the rpm goes past the 2000 rpm mark is beyond any stretch of imagination. I had a wide grin on my face and was looking at the traffic fast disappearing in my IRVM.

Except for its Turbo lag and the hard clutch, the S-Cross would have been booked by now. The understated looks did not appeal to me either.

The clutch of the 4K run test drive car was hard and my 111 K kms run Fiesta's clutch (which was giving me knee pain in heavy traffic conditions), seemed to be very light.

I also drive at least twice a year to the mountains (Yelagiri, Yercaud, Kodai and Ooty) with 5 people on board and a full boot. Such drives were already difficult in the Fiesta (as i have to rev it past 2000 rpm before upshifting) and worries me more with the S-Cross.

I read your PM and the S-Cross is very impressive at high speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Can you please throw some light regarding the highlighted statement? Except that the 1.3 SCross does not have the monstrous engine of the 1.6, it matches the 1.6 feature to feature. Also for daily run-abouts, its an extremely sensible engine and that is like 70% of the owners. Given its amazing fuel efficiency and almost negligible lag, its one heck of a product from Maruti stable.

I am sorry if i hurt your thoughts. The 1.3 Alpha is a good car, but coming from a Ford Fiesta, it is pretty ordinary, not an upgrade.

Last edited by MAS : 2nd May 2016 at 17:29.
MAS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 18:29   #4251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am sorry if i hurt your thoughts. The 1.3 Alpha is a good car, but coming from a Ford Fiesta, it is pretty ordinary, not an upgrade.
Absolutely not! Each person is entitled to his/her opinion, so no one should get hurt ideally.

My intention was only to understand the point behind your generic statement. Also, our forum is an esteemed forum and many prospective buyers read posts with lot of expectations. So when we say 'SCross 1.3 is very ordinary', we should try and explain the rationale behind it.

Cheers !
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 19:15   #4252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I was reserving my 1000th post for this announcement.

Brought home my new Premium Silver S-Cross 1.6 Alpha last Friday (April 29th). On April 30th, she got a new set of shoes - Continental MC5, stock size.

Here are a couple of pictures:
Congraz buddy. I guess you bought it from Kalyani Nexa right? I too have booked 1.6 Alpha form the same vendor on 30th, I am taking the delivery next week.

Can you share some details on the car. I think my car consignment also came along with yours as I am buying it from stock.

- Which month your car was manufactured.
- What was the maximum discount you bargained for.( I know you cant disclose the exact value. But atleast the discounted you was offered).
- Any additional accessories offered during delivery.
- Where did you upgrade your tyres from. Any good shop near BSK.

Happy driving..

Pradeep
Old 2nd May 2016, 19:46   #4253

My S-Cross is having cooling problems. Anyone else has seen cooling issue with their cars?
Old 2nd May 2016, 20:10   #4254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellat sasi View Post
My S-Cross is having cooling problems. Anyone else has seen cooling issue with their cars?
Could you elaborate?

Is it A/C cooling or is the engine over heating.

Additional information would help the experts guide you in the right direction.

A/C Cooling could be due to reasons such as a gas leak, or a block in the filter or something related to the blower.

Engine Cooling issues would require further investigation.

You could check the coolant levels in case it is engine overheating and get it checked at M A S S as soon as possible.
Old 2nd May 2016, 20:31   #4255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdeep4u View Post
Congraz buddy. I guess you bought it from Kalyani Nexa right? I too have booked 1.6 Alpha form the same vendor on 30th, I am taking the delivery next week.

Can you share some details on the car. I think my car consignment also came along with yours as I am buying it from stock.

- Which month your car was manufactured.
- What was the maximum discount you bargained for.( I know you cant disclose the exact value. But atleast the discounted you was offered).
- Any additional accessories offered during delivery.
- Where did you upgrade your tyres from. Any good shop near BSK.

Happy driving..

Pradeep
I too changed my booking to 1.6 last week. There is no 1.6 in stock/transit now at mangalore. Dealer said they are yet to receive the monthly allotment by Maruti. If my 1.6 granite grey Alpha is not there is list, I wouldn't get car this month Which colour did you book? I see couple of 1.6 in premium silver colour delivered recently in this thread.
Old 2nd May 2016, 20:37   #4256
Team-BHP Support

Could this delay in 1.6 deliveries be related to the international recall for the FIAT 1.6 Multijet?
Old 2nd May 2016, 20:56   #4257
Sip
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I too changed my booking to 1.6 last week. There is no 1.6 in stock/transit now at mangalore. Dealer said they are yet to receive the monthly allotment by Maruti. If my 1.6 granite grey Alpha is not there is list, I wouldn't get car this month Which colour did you book? I see couple of 1.6 in premium silver colour delivered recently in this thread.
Upon some analysis it seems there is some problem with 1.6 deliveries, some questions-

a- Why there are no 1.6 with various dealers ?

b- I booked car on 20 mar and sent complaint for delay in delivery on 20 Apr and pursuing as vigorously as possible but till date NEXA has not committed a timeline for delivery. My complaint is yet to resolved.

c - dealership completely mum on the issue. Feels like a fool with money in my pocket and not getting my car for last 20 days. Earlier around 6 Apr dealer promised delivery in a week than suddenly things became mysterious !

Hope it is resolved at the earliest.
Old 2nd May 2016, 21:12   #4258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Could this delay in 1.6 deliveries be related to the international recall for the FIAT 1.6 Multijet?
Maruti has not imported single 1.6 engine in 2016. One possibility is they are out of stock and emission issue is hindering the fresh imports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sip View Post
Upon some analysis it seems there is some problem with 1.6 deliveries, some questions-

a- Why there are no 1.6 with various dealers ?

b- I booked car on 20 mar and sent complaint for delay in delivery on 20 Apr and pursuing as vigorously as possible but till date NEXA has not committed a timeline for delivery. My complaint is yet to resolved.

c - dealership completely mum on the issue. Feels like a fool with money in my pocket and not getting my car for last 20 days. Earlier around 6 Apr dealer promised delivery in a week than suddenly things became mysterious !

Hope it is resolved at the earliest.
A. 1.6 is built on order after the price drop.

B. I too mailed Nexa customer care asking for approximate date of delivery. I was asked booking date and then no response!

C. We will get complete picture in a week. I will check the allotment list of this month with dealer. My dealer has placed 3 orders for 1.6. If no 1.6 is allotted, that means some production issue.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 21:25   #4259

Dear Friends,

Need your quick help, please advise :

1. After second service of my 1.6 the average has dropped to 15-16 kmpl, earlier it was always around 18. While enjoying teh car it also goes down to 14, had never seen this figure before second service no matter how I drove the car.

2. Now after around 7-8 days of service, I suddenly feel that the cooling of AC has gone down. As i step into teh car and put on teh AC, the first breeze of air from vent seems to have some odor.
More importantly I feel a little suffocated with AC on, am hoping this is psychological.

Please note that during second service the service station guys opened up teh covering of speedometer, as it was having dust from inside and they said they would clean it up which they also did.

Please suggest.
Best regards,
Sahil
Old 2nd May 2016, 22:02   #4260
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the turbo-lag is a pain, but as I have found out, it's quite manageable though requires more downshifting when slowing down.
IMO, the TURBO LAG is over hyped thing. I have an ANHC with super responsive engine & super light clutch in my garage, however, I prefer my 04 month old DDIS 320 any day over ANHC. Be it bumper to bumper in city traffic or highway, it just needs a bit of adjustment in driving style. Infact, I would prefer to drive S Cross in hills & prefer it over my old warrior MH 410 Zen (which is a brilliant fun car to handle on the climbing curves)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
.. the "psychological turbo lag" of the 1.6 which many have described will take a toll on the left knee.

If the 1.6 is Sachin Tendulkar or Sehwag, 1.3 is a Rahul Dravid or a VVS
Exactly, it is "psychological turbo lag" rather than pure.

Liked the comparison with cricketers. On the highway, one can compare 1.6 to likes of Pollard.

Quote:
Except for its Turbo lag and the hard clutch, the S-Cross would have been booked by now.
It is more to do with higher initial price, dated front looks rather than TURBO LAG. People buy what the masses buy, same applies to cars!

I bought S Cross for the exclusiveness it offers !

Last edited by breezydrive : 2nd May 2016 at 22:05.
breezydrive is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks