Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2016, 20:14   #5491
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

In terms of spare parts cost and source of parts, the S-cross 1.6 and old Baleno sedan are pretty similar.
Air filter Rs 910 - Made in Romania.
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-scross-air-filter.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.O View Post
My 13k km run 1.6 Alpha just broke down. Clutch pedal just went in and not coming back. It comes back to the original position if we pull it out using our hand. When we depress it again it, it goes in and doesn't come back. There is used to be a faint hissing noise coming from inside of the bonnet while depressing clutch. Any idea what went wrong.
Thank You.
Clutch slave cylinder has failed.
kpzen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 21:18   #5492
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
In terms of spare parts cost and source of parts, the S-cross 1.6 and old Baleno sedan are pretty similar.
Engine and transmission is fully imported for 1.6 S-Cross. I was also shocked when I compared spare parts price list of 1.3 and 1.6. Engine related parts were at least 2-3 times costlier in 1.6. I do not have the price list with me. Service manager had showed me in dealership computer.
Old 21st August 2016, 13:24   #5493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Slave cylinder failure or the clutch springs would have gone bust. Can happen to any car and any manufacturer. Should be a one off case since this is the first time I am hearing this in the Scross. Mostly manufacturing defect.
Quote:
Attachment 1544121

Clutch slave cylinder has failed.
Thanks a lot. It was the slave cylinder.
When the road side assistance guys removed the battery I could see a lot of battery acid leaked out. Acid has corroded a lot of nuts and bolts. One bolt under the battery tray even sheared off they they tried to unscrew it. They say acid does leak in diesel cars (Do they happen???). See pics and how much it had corroded.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-20160820_130105min.jpg
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-20160820_130107min.jpg

Mechanic even said the battery acid might have corroded the joint near the slave cylinder (encircled in black).

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-slave-cylinder.jpg

Car was towed (flatbed) to the service center. SM said parts will be replaced under warranty. He assured me some amount of towing charges can be re ambushed. They will check the battery and charging system for defects. If battery is faulty they assured me it will be replaced under warranty. SM has already provided us with a loaner Ciaz car (I was shocked actually, when he said about the loaner car. I didn't even requested for one and I never knew that Maruti had a provision for loaner cars ) .

So far, I'm extremely happy they way they treated us. Popular Maruti Services Muvattupuzha (40km east of Cochin, Kerala) has really done a good job so far.
Mr.O is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 13:59   #5494
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When the road side assistance guys removed the battery I could see a lot of battery acid leaked out. Acid has corroded a lot of nuts and bolts. One bolt under the battery tray even sheared off they they tried to unscrew it. They say acid does leak in diesel cars (Do they happen???). See pics and how much it had corroded.
Ideally they should replace the corroded parts too. Who will pay for the long term damage caused by this corrosion? I think its the corrosion that even led to the slave cylinder to fail. Get the whole area cleaned well and corroded parts replaced under warranty.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 14:34   #5495
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
SM has already provided us with a loaner Ciaz car (I was shocked actually, when he said about the loaner car. I didn't even requested for one and I never knew that Maruti had a provision for loaner cars ) .

So far, I'm extremely happy they way they treated us. Popular Maruti Services Muvattupuzha (40km east of Cochin, Kerala) has really done a good job so far.
Good to hear about warranty replacement and excellent service. I am also very happy with Maruti customer support. I always got a loaner car when I had to keep my SX4 in service centre for more than a day. They would give me TD SX4 car.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 16:37   #5496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They say acid does leak in diesel cars (Do they happen???). See pics and how much it had corroded.
Whoever said that to you was doing nothing but talking B.S.. Whatever the fuel used in the car, acid should never leak from the battery. It definitely leads to extensive damage as in your case. If the acid has leaked from the top of the battery, the holes used for top up of electrolyte, then your charging system/alternator also needs to be checked. If the alternator overcharges the battery (> 14V), it could lead to boiling of acid and spilling over from the battery. If the leak is from a puncture in the battery body then this may not be the case. However it won't be a bad idea to get the health of your charging system checked from the service ccenter, so that if new battery is fitted it does not lead to further damage.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 17:25   #5497
BANNED

Quote:
They say acid does leak in diesel cars (Do they happen???).
The battery tray + 7 screws underneath and the two plastic liners that are underneath gearbox are rusted and broken due to this battery acid leak.

What these fools at MASS do is over-fill the water in the battery. When the car moves the acids spills off out corroding everything that is around the battery area. I am waiting for the battery tray and the 7 screws to arrive at my MGP stockist so that I can replace it.

Tell the SA that battery functionality does NOT change with what fuel the car runs on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
If the alternator overcharges the battery (> 14V), it could lead to boiling of acid and spilling over from the battery.
When engine is off the voltage in my Swift's battery is 12.9V
Cranking time voltage: 10.9V
When engine is running: 14.3V

I guess it is time to change the battery in my car as the other indication it is giving is cranking time which is slightly longer than normal.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 18:09   #5498
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot. It was the slave cylinder...

Car was towed (flatbed) to the service center. SM said parts will be replaced under warranty. He assured me some amount of towing charges can be re ambushed. They will check the battery and charging system for defects. If battery is faulty they assured me it will be replaced under warranty...
Happy to know about the good experience. Please ensure you coerced them to replace all relevant parts affected, under warranty. Try to be as friendly & explain how the battery acid spill has caused the damage. I suggest to get it done even if you have to pay (as a last resort). Also check with him if you can write a mail to Maruti if any of the parts are not replaced under warranty. These are suggestions to take up if you are not satisfied.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 20:44   #5499
Distinguished - BHPian

Power & Torque at wheels : 1.6 S-Cross (Torque Pro OBD App)

I was playing around with various parameters in torque pro app. There was an option for power and torque at wheels. I dont know if it's accurate, but figures look real. Torque pro website mentions the method to calculate.

Quote:
The test should be performed on a flat track. Going up or down a hill/slope will lead to inaccurate readings.
Start from a slow rolling start (about 5 to 10mph) and accelerate until about 55mph. This will give you the most accurate peak value for your vehicle.
Note: If you spin the vehicle wheels then this will cause the figures to over-read
Power : 106 HP (at wheels)
Torque : 281 NM (at wheels)

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-screenshot_20160821202548_org.prowl.torque.png

This is around 12 percent less than manufacturer claimed figures, thanks to transmission loss.

I will get the accurate result when I dyno the car before remap .
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 21:07   #5500
Sip
BHPian

Guys just completed 1100 Kms in first week of purchase on my 1.6 Zeta. Salient points :-

City Driving - It seems S-Cross 1.6 has been unfairly maligned for turbo lag. Didn't find much of an issue. Most of the city driving by me is between 1000- 1750 RPM. This band too provides feel of ample pulling power. Car smoothly negotiates city traffic, Overtakes are smooth and responds well with moderate acceleration. In this power band one could be disappointed if with 320 Nm in back of his/her mind and not knowing so called sweet spot. 3rd gear has wide range and well suited for city commuting with reduced need for gear changes and I find clutch comfortably light till date.

Highway Drive : This is an S-Cross forte. Sheer exhilaration ! Simply put - more than can one expect and could be at par with much costlier cars! Car surely can give you illusion for low speed while speedometer is actually much higher and therefore calls for responsible driving. Maneuverability is superb.

1.6 Vis-a-vis 1.3 - Not for nothing 1.3 is called National Engine and whatever I have gathered S-Cross has best form of this engine. Drive is super smooth, most akin to a petrol engine and during multiple and longish test drives i found engine never showed lack of power except only during back to back TD with 1.6. Due to such brilliance I was easily prepared for 1.3 but circumstances and not me actually decided 1.6 for me.

Braking is fuss free and confident inspiring.

Goggles casing is nothing more than a showcase because if you use it for indicated purpose there are ceaseless rattles. Also at 1500 RPM rattles are continuously present and source could not be ascertained.

Seating is good and successfully provides comfort from high torque.

Auto dimming rear view is useful device.

Fuel efficiency maximum on highway in 23.1 while I am not using 6th gear! City driving average FE hovers around 16-17. Sedate driving assures good milage and fun filled driving reduces highways milage to about 20. Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20160821_164017.jpg
Sip is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 22:04   #5501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When the road side assistance guys removed the battery I could see a lot of battery acid leaked out. Acid has corroded a lot of nuts and bolts.
Mechanic even said the battery acid might have corroded the joint near the slave cylinder (encircled in black).
Absolutely crazy for a 13k kms car !
S-cross comes with Panasonic battery - One of the best OEM batteries I have seen.

When and where did you get the 10k service done ?
I assume MASS had overfilled the battery during service which resulted in acid frothing.
Do a visual check and get all affected parts replaced.

From pics, I see a lot of oil + acid mix on the gearbox. Get it jet washed before putting the battery back.

Check this thread. Just for reference.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-around-2.html

Last edited by kpzen : 21st August 2016 at 22:18. Reason: added link
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 00:18   #5502
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely crazy for a 13k kms car !
S-cross comes with Panasonic battery - One of the best OEM batteries I have seen.

When and where did you get the 10k service done ?
I assume MASS had overfilled the battery during service which resulted in acid frothing.
Do a visual check and get all affected parts replaced.

From pics, I see a lot of oil + acid mix on the gearbox. Get it jet washed before putting the battery back.

Check this thread. Just for reference.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-around-2.html
I'd like to thank everyone on their valuable inputs.
10k service was done done in 12-7-2016.

It would be helpful if anyone would provide me with an email id where I would be able to share my experience and concerns regarding the experience I had to the officials. Googling didn't helped me much
Old 22nd August 2016, 00:21   #5503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'd like to thank everyone on their valuable inputs.
10k service was done done in 12-7-2016.

It would be helpful if anyone would provide me with an email id where I would be able to share my experience and concerns regarding the experience I had to the officials. Googling didn't helped me much
Do you have the pics of the battery ?

Will check regarding the concerned person tomorrow and let you know.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 14:24   #5504
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

I've booked the S-Cross 1.6 Alpha and the car is readily available in stock now. However, I am still in two minds about my choice for a couple of reasons:

1) The tyre+alloy wheel combo is horrible for a Rs. 14L car! Even getting them swapped is a task in itself.

2) Spare part cost. Saw KPZen's update regarding the air filter. Although it has a 40k km replacement interval, I would not stretch that long for my car and replace it proactively at around 15k kms. Is it just a few components that are priced exorbitantly, or are most spares ridiculously priced?

3) In general Maruti service staff is poorly trained to handle premium cars. They are a volume player and are used to the numbers game. Are cars sold through Nexa handled similarly?

4) I already see a failure on a relatively new Maruti. How has the reliability been so far for other customers?
moralfibre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 15:19   #5505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Guys,

I've booked the S-Cross 1.6 Alpha and the car is readily available in stock now. However, I am still in two minds about my choice for a couple of reasons:

1) The tyre+alloy wheel combo is horrible for a Rs. 14L car! Even getting them swapped is a task in itself.

2) Spare part cost. Saw KPZen's update regarding the air filter. Although it has a 40k km replacement interval, I would not stretch that long for my car and replace it proactively at around 15k kms. Is it just a few components that are priced exorbitantly, or are most spares ridiculously priced?

3) In general Maruti service staff is poorly trained to handle premium cars. They are a volume player and are used to the numbers game. Are cars sold through Nexa handled similarly?

4) I already see a failure on a relatively new Maruti. How has the reliability been so far for other customers?
Hi moralfibre, Congratulations on the booking of 1.6.

I own a DDiS 200 Zeta. So, my response will be in line with that.

1. Tyre + Alloy > The tyre is not as bad as projected by some here. Yes, it has a lot of road noise as it is a hard compound tyre. But, with some light music and AC, you may not notice the road noise. Highway run with windows rolled down will be an irritant to the ears. My tyres are 18K KMs / 1Yr. They are as good as new condition with little/no wear. Since you are going for DDiS 320, it may be good to seek a tyre change (I'm not sure), but it's perfectly fine for DDiS 200.

Alloy wheels are pathetic in looks. But they are pretty good in quality. They exactly looks like wheel covers. Maruti horribly went wrong with the design of alloy wheels.

2. Spare part cost > I did not encounter any parts replacement in last one year , so not able to comment on parts cost.

3. Service > Nexa cars have dedicated service personnel. They are well trained. Even though the Nexa / normal Maruti cars are serviced in the same premises, Nexa cars have dedicated bays. I'm extremely happy with the service rendered so far. (Maruti in any way has good service orientation)

4. Failure > Do not go by a few failures here and there. It's a very reliable product. In case of failure/complaints, the response from Maruti is awesome. This may vary depending on the dealerships, but I think you can go for the product without any confusion in mind.

Last edited by Sree73 : 22nd August 2016 at 15:30. Reason: grammar
Sree73 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks