Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2015, 15:25   #2386
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrek View Post
Punctured the sump while driving over potholes in the recent rains in bangalore.
Oil sump seems to be vulnerable. (In a similar situation, my older ford fusion would have taken the hit on a sturdy cross-member.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
To damage the sump is not an easy feat like a honda city or Verna.

How did you manage to hit the sump? Can you give details on where and how it happened.
I think you mis-judged the clearance. Every car is vulnerable in Bangalore and we already knew that there is no cross bar in S-Cross.

I was thinking exactly what Vid6639 asked. How exactly did this happen and where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ootyguy View Post
Was travelling from Vellore to Coimbatore and before Ambur hit a pool of water at a speed of 100 kms on a four way NH.The bottom rear silver garnish ripped off completely.
Seriously? 100 KMPH in rains? How exactly did this happen? Was the pool of water a surprise event?
Old 30th November 2015, 15:59   #2387

It was during the first rains at Chennai on the 9th of November 2015. The car was fully loaded with five adults and their luggage. Was returning from Srikalahasthi via Vellore to Coimbatore. The time was about 1.00 pm. It was raining heavily and there was very less traffic and no two wheelers on road. Was on the right lane of the three lane road. Being a very good Highway maintained by L and T, did not expect the water to be logged on the road. When I hit the water the first time, there was the sound of the water hitting the bottom of the body. The second time, when I hit another water logged area, the sound was bigger, I continued assuming that the water level would have been higher. Reached Coimbatore that night. It was only the next day morning that I noticed that the part was missing. If you notice the opening of the plastic is at an angle of more than 90 degree to the road, If a huge pool of water hits it, since the water has no place to go, this part will break. They need to make a curve inside so that water will not hit with that force, or the plastic will break only in the curved area. The plastic needs to be more sturdy.
Old 30th November 2015, 16:06   #2388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
I think you mis-judged the clearance. Every car is vulnerable in Bangalore and we already knew that there is no cross bar in S-Cross.

I was thinking exactly what Vid6639 asked. How exactly did this happen and where?

Seriously? 100 KMPH in rains? How exactly did this happen? Was the pool of water a surprise event?
There are several areas on the highways were water can accumulate after a rain and be stagnant due to inadequate slope or drain provisions. I personally hit one such spot on the way to Coimbatore and experienced hydroplaning, luckily it wasn't a major problem, I was cruising only at 80.
Old 30th November 2015, 16:14   #2389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
There are several areas on the highways were water can accumulate after a rain and be stagnant due to inadequate slope or drain provisions. I personally hit one such spot on the way to Coimbatore and experienced hydroplaning, luckily it wasn't a major problem, I was cruising only at 80.
80 is still high in my opinion. In rainy conditions, one shouldn't go over 60-70 KMPH in my opinion. It's a very safe limit when all safety equipment a car has can play its maximum part in ensuring safety.

I also just checked out Team-BHP guidance which recommends the same. Linking it here for reference
sudeepg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 16:23   #2390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ootyguy View Post
It was during the first rains at Chennai on the 9th of November 2015. The car was fully loaded with five adults and their luggage. Was returning from Srikalahasthi via Vellore to Coimbatore. The time was about 1.00 pm. It was raining heavily and there was very less traffic and no two wheelers on road. Was on the right lane of the three lane road.
It is always safe to travel in the centre lane during heavy rains. The water will get accumulated either on the right or left lane based on the curve and you will see minimal to no water on the centre lane. And as mentioned by others, 100kmph is a little too high to drive on rains.
Old 30th November 2015, 17:14   #2391
BHPian

Compared to Jetta/Skoda/A4 , S-cross will give you long term peace of mind for sure even though germans are a level above. In India, peace of mind is very important considering the road conditions!

As a working professional no one has time to chase the dealers to get their car fixed or import spares from germany!
aerohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 17:42   #2392
Senior - BHPian

1.6 owners -

Can anyone share the schedule service cost ? (Expected or actual)
Is the engine oil synthetic or mineral ?

Last edited by kpzen : 30th November 2015 at 17:43.
Old 30th November 2015, 18:30   #2393
BHPian

I'm considering the S-cross around start of next year.
Considering the Zeta or Alpha variant price point, what other cars are available to compare to? It can be different segment as well.
I could immediately think of Creata and Duster.
Probably those who bought might have considered such list. Care to share?
Old 30th November 2015, 19:08   #2394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
I'm considering the S-cross around start of next year.
I could immediately think of Creata and Duster.
Probably those who bought might have considered such list. Care to share?
You should seriously consider S-Cross.

Creta is a good product but at least in Pune there is a waiting period of 8-10 months. That's crazy IMO. I cannot wait that long if i were in market to buy a new car.

Duster is really a good product but compared to S-Cross, the interiors of Duster are pretty darn boring IMHO. I did not feel like putting all those 13+ lakhs for those interiors. After all, you spend most of your time inside the car.

Also if you compare feature to feature, Duster is at least 1.5-2 lakhs expensive than S-Cross. However, i feel Duster is much more eager at lower end whereas S-Cross is sluggish off the mark. The fun starts only above 2000 RPM.

I was warned regarding Renault service quality but thats a hit or miss for anyone and be it any company.

I am not marketing S-Cross but i really loved it considering the overall package and VFM.

Cheers!
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 20:58   #2395
BHPian

Took a TD of the 1.6 alpha today. Nice ride and handling. Am planning to trade in my ecosport for a 1.6 zeta or alpha.

Few worries:
1. Cost and availability of spares for 1.6
2. Maintenance cost

Anybody owning a zeta 1.6, kindly elaborate on the features as there seems to be a difference between the 1.3 zeta and 1.6 zeta.

Finally, is it a worthy upgrade to an 18 month, 30000km, titanium opt ecosport?
Old 30th November 2015, 21:03   #2396
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by differential View Post
Took a TD of the 1.6 alpha today. Nice ride and handling. Am planning to trade in my ecosport for a 1.6 zeta or alpha.

Few worries:
2. Maintenance cost

Anybody owning a zeta 1.6, kindly elaborate on the features as there seems to be a difference between the 1.3 zeta and 1.6 zeta.

As long as you dont run into engine trouble, spares shouldnt be an issue for the S-Cross. Since the engine is imported, if at all there is an issue in the longrun, it could take some time for your car to get back on road after repair. Else there shouldnt be an issue with regular maintenance.
Old 30th November 2015, 21:21   #2397
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Here is the Feature list of variants. You can visit the NEXA website for details.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-capture.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 22:05   #2398
BHPian

The 1.3 zeta seems to be better equipped than the 1.6.
Is there a specific reason or is it to keep the cost down on the 1.6. Quite surprising actually.

The dealer has thrown in an attractive package. 1.6 delta plus a combo worth about 20k. Combo includes 4 oe alloys, after market nav, after market reverse camera, oe fog lamps.
In addition is the cash discount of 50 k.

If not for the lack of rear wash and wipe, I would have been really keen on this offer.
Old 30th November 2015, 22:14   #2399
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Few worries:
2. Maintenance cost

Not really. I am in the same boat as you. I have a 20K kms 24 month old Ecosport.

I was smitten by the S-cross 1.6 and still think it's the best upgrade from the Ecosport. But there's too much to lose in the exchange. The Ecosport has 6 airbags, better NVH and feels much more solid than the S-cross.

The better performance, 6 speed box and larger size are in favour for the S-cross but they are not big enough reasons to jump. The car has a lot of maruti traits. The Ecosport has a lot of cool and small features which you will realise are missing when you get in the S-cross.

If I sell my 2 year old Ecosport I will get around 9 max (optimistic). The S-cross is 17 lakhs on road here for the Alpha 1.6 and with that discount it's around 16.

That's 7 lakhs more for another crossover which is not really in a higher segment. If I want to spend 7 lakhs I can actually get a used Polo GT TSI and keep the Ecosport rather than exchange for an S-cross.

I am holding on to the Ecosport for atleast another 2 years as cars like this are disappearing fast. The new age cars are lighter, more cost cutting and don't feel as well built.

If you need the extra performance there's always a remap or a RD piggyback ECU available to quench your thirst.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 23:45   #2400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
.... The Ecosport has 6 airbags, better NVH and feels much more solid than the S-cross...
If you have to compare the S Cross 1.6 to the first gen Swift, in terms of NVH, how would you rate?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks