Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2017, 15:43   #2506
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

From my perspective, i did two long trips in the Baleno AT - one to Coimbatore and back and one to Tirupati and back, and i loved both those. My comparison on long drives is with the Manual Brio that we used to own earlier and compared to our Brio, this was like butter smooth, a nice drive and very easy. Brio used to be very sporty and cheeky, but this one looks a little more clean, pleasant and easy.

The Baleno at home is primarily being driven by my wife , who does about 500-600 KM's a month, and she is enjoying it thoroughly. So far, so good.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 16th December 2017 at 01:57.
Old 7th December 2017, 22:37   #2507
BHPian

A quick 2 month review/observation of the Baleno Alpha CVT vis-à-vis my GT TSI

The good:

1. Big car ride. Most potholes elicit a muted thump. Big ones sometimes crash through, but rarely so. Some roll, but decent compromise. The stock ride quality is better than the stock Polo GT TSI – period.
2. Decent steering feel. Like it better than my GT TSI.
3. Good, progressive stock brakes. Again, better than the stock pads in my stock GT TSI.
4. Very powerful AC – beats the daylights out of my VW
5. Feel good features – lighted sun visors on both sides, 60-40 seats and ISOFIX, slow damping grab handles, adjustable seat belts, nice looking instrument cluster…
6. Aggressive take-off and engine braking on the CVT – this was a surprise. The car takes off like a scalded cat. No comparison of course, with the DSG - that transmission becomes an extension of your body.
7. Love the DRLs and Xenon projectors.
8. Boot and glove lights
9. Decent sound quality. Happy.
10. Bright reverse cam at night.
11. Good mileage – a bit better than my GT TSI. That may also be because this car is driven far more ‘normally’
12. The remote works from my 9th floor apartment to the car. Great range!
13. Heavy tailgate. The doors close well too. No Germanic thud – but not bad at all.

The not-so-good:
1. The HU, while feature packed, totally lacks the polish of the VW 330G+. The scrolling, in particular, is abrupt like a mid-budget Android. The search sucks. And the VW HU costed me 6.5K landed through Aliexpress!
2. No dynamic guidelines in the reverse cam
3. The CVT requires altering your driving habits if you’re aggressive with the throttle. Else the ride can get a bit jerky. However, it isn’t a slouch at all. Some magazines have pegged the CVT to be faster than the manual!
4. No intermediate setting in wipers.
5. Very long time to get to idle RPM in a cold start. My TSI takes around 30-40 seconds. This one crosses a minute and a half. Is it the super thin 0W 20?
6. Slight projector shake over bad potholes.
7. I personally prefer harder foam over seats.
8. No space in the glove box.

The ugly:

1. The MID adjustment stalk – unbelievably bad.
2. The front interior lights – the whole assembly moves along with the headliner when you give a firm push. Feels so damn cheap.
3. Horrid plastic quality - the dash plastic is scratchy. Also, press hard and there’s play. Similarly with the door cards. Feels so thin and moves a tad when window glass winds up/down. The Polo is just so much better.
4. No proper place for tools in the boot wheel well.
5. Heard a rattle in the A pillar already...not sure how it will hold up over the years.
My Polo is like a tomb even after 3 years.

So overall, far more positives than negatives. But I really wish the plastic quality was better. I feel the Tiago is far better in comparison, forget the Hyundais or my VW.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 16th December 2017 at 01:57.
d_himan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 14:24   #2508
BHPian

My Baleno is 9 month Old and now am hearing a squeaking noise from the engine. This sound is coming until the speed limit of 70 kmph and not thereafter. I believe it to be because of the engine belt.

Any one, any idea on the life period of the belt? It at all it is the issue with the belt, would it be covered under the warranty period (since, not even a year has Crossed) or would it be treated as a case of normal wear and tear?

Planing to take him to the service center this weekend, would also update on the resolution from the MSA guys.
Old 8th December 2017, 22:34   #2509
Distinguished - BHPian

I got a chance to time 0-100 of my Baleno today. It was 11 seconds on speedo video. Torque Pro GPS says 12.1 seconds. There was wheel spin even while shifting from 1st to 2nd gear.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 8th December 2017 at 22:38.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 17:47   #2510
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
A friend spotted these "Export model spec" alloys on display at a NEXA showroom. No idea about the part number or price, but should be in the range of 7k per alloy IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
These alloys look much much better. I have sent the pic to Accessory guy. Will update, if he replies with details
The mysterious case of the export model alloy is finally solved.

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-21271253_1449110465168412_7316254318041666944_n.jpg

Special thanks to NEXA Sahibabad.

Part Number: 43210M68P60-ZMQ
Price: Rs. 5,190

Remember, there was a machine finished alloy as well during the launch.

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-marutisuzukibaleno2016indialaunchred2.jpg

I guess the last option is that only. Also attaching the image which shows all alloy options for Baleno.

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-img20171213wa0019.jpg

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-img20171213wa0020.jpg

Another MGP mystery decoded.

Regards,
Shashi

Pic credits:
1st image: Baleno FB page
2nd Image: Google
3rd and4th image: My birdies

Last edited by Leoshashi : 13th December 2017 at 17:57.
Leoshashi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 18:02   #2511
BHPian

Quote:

Remember, there was a machine finished alloy as well during the launch.

I guess the last option is that only. Also attaching the image which shows all alloy options for Baleno.

Attachment 1705637
Thanks!, Quite strange that 16 inch normal (grey & black) ones are expensive than these Machine finished alloys!

Could they be 15" inchers?

Last edited by Prodigy07 : 13th December 2017 at 18:07.
Prodigy07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 18:04   #2512
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Thanks!, Quite strange that 16 inch normal (grey & black) ones are expensive than these Machined finish alloys!

May be. I also know as much as you do.

Not a single extra info other than the pic.

Regards,
Shashi

Edit: The machine finish design original showcased during launch was a 16 incher too. A quick search revealed it.

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-capture.jpg

Link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-Ge...gAAOSwt5hYh2tu

Last edited by Leoshashi : 13th December 2017 at 18:08.
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 18:39   #2513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Part Number: 43210M68P60-ZMQ
Price: Rs. 5,190
Thanks for the information. I had seen this discussion few months back in Baleno FB group and they had mentioned different part number. You have cleared it

A pic from FB group :
Maruti Baleno : Official Review-fb_img_1513169727880.jpg

From the pics you have posted, the most expensive one is Rs. 8225 and part number 43210M68P70-ZMQ. Which alloy wheel is it?

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 13th December 2017 at 18:46.
Dr.Naren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 19:13   #2514
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
From the pics you have posted, the most expensive one is Rs. 8225 and part number 43210M68P70-ZMQ. Which alloy wheel is it?
Grey ones made by Enkei wheels. Earlier Enkeis were imported, hence the high price. Later they changed to a different vendor(Deltronix).

Regards
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 19:42   #2515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks!, Quite strange that 16 inch normal (grey & black) ones are expensive than these Machine finished alloys!
They are 16" alloys since the Red car is Zeta/Alpha, as you can clearly see Keyless sensor request button on door handle.
Old 14th December 2017, 10:15   #2516
BHPian

The bumpers are a cause for major heartburns. Here in Pune, especially in the stretch through Nagar road to Wagholi, one can't really escape an odd nick or two - most culprits being two wheelers and those pesky seven seaters and tempos who want to squeeze through.

My wife's Baleno has taken a few hits from behind, and each time the bumper just caves in with a very ugly dent. I did the trick of pouring hot water and pressing it back - and it did work on most occasions, with some small evidences remaining. But it is evident that the plastic or fiber of the bumper is really flimsy.

My old i20 has got so many minor hits like this from behind over its 7 years and we have never faced this situation. The maximum damage that I have seen is a small scrape mark where the hit happened.

Also - the rest of the body of the Baleno isnt great either. small dents come up very very quickly.

The Baleno is a good car no doubt, but the manufacturers have really skimped on the body - the metal sheets as well as the bumpers - they must have chosen to go that route either from a cost standpoint or to keep the weight low. Perhaps they know that the Indian consumer just doesnt bother as long as you can give good "mileage".

The engine is a gem though, and its lovely to drive. Small mercies.

Last edited by Bigzero : 14th December 2017 at 10:16. Reason: spelling
Bigzero is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 12:27   #2517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
The bumpers are a cause for major heartburns. Here in Pune, especially in the stretch through Nagar road to Wagholi, one can't really escape an odd nick or two - most culprits being two wheelers and those pesky seven seaters and tempos who want to squeeze through.

My wife's Baleno has taken a few hits from behind, and each time the bumper just caves in with a very ugly dent. I did the trick of pouring hot water and pressing it back - and it did work on most occasions, with some small evidences remaining. But it is evident that the plastic or fiber of the bumper is really flimsy.

My old i20 has got so many minor hits like this from behind over its 7 years and we have never faced this situation. The maximum damage that I have seen is a small scrape mark where the hit happened.

Also - the rest of the body of the Baleno isnt great either. small dents come up very very quickly.

The Baleno is a good car no doubt, but the manufacturers have really skimped on the body - the metal sheets as well as the bumpers - they must have chosen to go that route either from a cost standpoint or to keep the weight low. Perhaps they know that the Indian consumer just doesnt bother as long as you can give good "mileage".

The engine is a gem though, and its lovely to drive. Small mercies.
Can you please share the year of manufacturing of your Baleno? I am looking for an upgrade to my Chevy Spark and Baleno is there in my shortlist.

Regarding Nagar Road woes, I fully sympathize. I drive down to Wagholi once or twice a month and it always is a harrowing experience.
anirudh_85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 01:43   #2518
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Someone has shared pics of Baleno with MGA diamond cut alloys, part number shared some posts ago:

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-24297451_1919839174722939_2340275076145793453_o.jpg

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-25289683_1531335373582871_7573439001137017633_n.jpg

Source: Baleno Owners Club Facebook page

Regards,
Shashi

PS: While the design looks similar to the ones shown in launch version and that ebay link, there are some noticeable differences, and it seems like 15 inchers to me.

Last edited by Leoshashi : 16th December 2017 at 02:02.
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 07:29   #2519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anirudh_85 View Post
Can you please share the year of manufacturing of your Baleno? I am looking for an upgrade to my Chevy Spark and Baleno is there in my shortlist.
Mine is a 2016 model - I think manufactured sometime in November. I bought the car in December. The booking was done last year in August or September if I remember correctly.
Old 18th December 2017, 10:58   #2520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Someone has shared pics of Baleno with MGA diamond cut alloys, part number shared some posts ago:

PS: While the design looks similar to the ones shown in launch version and that ebay link, there are some noticeable differences, and it seems like 15 inchers to me.
Surely a 15 incher, this car does not have chrome handles, so its a Sigma/Delta variant.

Most Viewed