Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2018, 19:33   #2056
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB_007 View Post
Congratulations guys and happy motoring on your XZA.

My XZA is due for one year service in few months and this will be an oil change service. The odo would clock close to 9k km. I am a bit skeptical about TASS really changing the oil and the filter. How would I ensure if they have done both. I can check the oil before and after service in the engine but since the kilometers are not so much I am not sure if the difference is noticeable even with faster aging of oil on new engine.
Same goes for the replacement of fuel filter, wheel alignment.
Any leads here. Washing car is the only thing I believe most of the ASS religiously do without insisting.

This doubt is for the reason that in second service the booklet mentions rotation of tires but TASS did not do it and said it is not necessary. After showing them the checklist for second service they did this with a comment that people writing this manual are not the experts .

-UB
Almost all A.S.S these days have the customer waiting area adjoining the service bays with a glass wall separating the two. If you don't trust TASS, you can insist on staying at the service centre while they change the oil. Generally the first thing they do is drain the engine oil and put new one. After that you may leave the service centre.
As far as other replacements go, they give the old parts back to us. If here also if you expect some mischief to happen, you can stay there for the entire period.
Tyre rotation is also based on the condition of the tyre wear. I generally get this and the WA WB done outside and not the A.S.S.
hemanth.anand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 19:47   #2057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Almost all A.S.S these days have the customer waiting area adjoining the service bays with a glass wall separating the two. If you don't trust TASS, you can insist on staying at the service centre while they change the oil. Generally the first thing they do is drain the engine oil and put new one. After that you may leave the service centre.
As far as other replacements go, they give the old parts back to us. If here also if you expect some mischief to happen, you can stay there for the entire period.
Tyre rotation is also based on the condition of the tyre wear. I generally get this and the WA WB done outside and not the A.S.S.
Also, to add to this for the engine oil one can check the viscosity and color of the oil using dipstick, before leaving the car for service and checking it again once it is back from Service. I am sure there will be significant changes which should easily help to identify if it is changed or not.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 20:52   #2058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Congratulation's. Even I got my XZA 3 day's back and it's the exact same spec as your's. Even the color is the same

Sadly even the steering wheel issue is the same. it's slightly tilted towards the left. I discovered it at PDI and informed them but they didn't fix it.

Have they fixed this issue for you ?
They said that it is the same with all Tiago/Tigor. A guy from service department said something about Tiago/Tigor having a 3 point clamp steering instead of 2 point clamp. Hence it will never be straight like other cars. Although I wasn't convinced, he bought an Tigor for me to check and it had the same issue, although it was little less prominent on that car. So he said we can remove and re-fit the steering during the first service but they cannot guarantee that it will fix the issue. He said they need time to remove and re-fit since it has ABS module built-in and they need to be careful. So right now I am not sure If I want them to fiddle with the factory fitting. Since the issue doesn't seem critical to me as long as the car is behaving properly.

Btw, Congratulations on your new purchase. Drive safe!

Last edited by Funny : 6th September 2018 at 20:54.
Funny is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 07:44   #2059
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sadly even the steering wheel issue is the same. it's slightly tilted towards the left. I discovered it at PDI and informed them but they didn't fix it.
I read this and checked; my Tiago suffers from the same. Apparently a very common issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
So he said we can remove and re-fit the steering during the first service but they cannot guarantee that it will fix the issue. He said they need time to remove and re-fit since it has ABS module built-in and they need to be careful. So right now I am not sure If I want them to fiddle with the factory fitting.
I was about to go to Tata A.S.S. today to get this rectified but I'd rather not. Considering mine is a XZA (with an airbag), I don't want anything disturbed. No matter how competent, assembly line fit can't be matched.

There's a distinct noise that comes from somewhere in the dash and when the SA took an elaborate look at it (opened up the glove compartment), he said they'd have to take apart the dash to really know the source of the noise. We both decided that I'd live with it since he admitted, they can't put it back together as perfectly as the factory.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 09:18   #2060
Team-BHP Support

Regarding the steering tilt issue:

Gentlemen, my Honda had this problem too and it was fixed at Madhus. 95% of wheel alignment centers and authorized service centers (across all brands) do NOT know how to fix this issue. When the wheel alignment is being done, give the following instructions to the technician:

1) Setup the wheel alignment sensors on all 4 wheels
2) If the steering is tilted to the left, turn the steering slowly to the right till the TOE reading on the right side is "GREEN" (or within the limits set by the manufacturer)
3) Note that the toe reading on the left side will be "RED" (outside limits)
4) Hold the steering in place with that thing that holds the steering
5) Ask the technician to go down and fix the TOE reading on the left hand side till both left/right toe readings are in GREEN.

Naturally, if your steering is tilted to the "right", you need to do the opposite.
SmartCat is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 09:55   #2061
BHPian

Quote:
Sadly even the steering wheel issue is the same. it's slightly tilted towards the left.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I read this and checked; my Tiago suffers from the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
They said that it is the same with all Tiago/Tigor.
My Mother-in-law's Tiago also has the same issue of steering tilted slightly to the left. But this isn't all. The funny part is that our Zest also suffers from same issue. The tilt is ever so slight and towards left. On long drives, I find this irritating. When driving straight, noticing that steering is tilted makes me want to correct it. I don't have OCD but why can't the steering be dead straight when the car is heading in that direction.

On second thoughts, I don't think this issue is something that will be noticed by many people. I guess it is only those who observe closely will recognise this.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 12:32   #2062
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Regarding the steering tilt issue
Other owners' experience led me to believe that it is merely the steering that is not fixed/aligned at the centre. Is the issue with the toe itself and not merely how the steering wheel is bolted?

Would it then be better to live with it than play around with factory fitment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
I don't have OCD but why can't the steering be dead straight when the car is heading in that direction.
Exactly. Bothers me too. This and the fact thatthe power symbol on the button isn't fixed but keeps moving with the knob. Uggh, gives me that itch every time I see it!
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 13:06   #2063
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Other owners' experience led me to believe that it is merely the steering that is not fixed/aligned at the centre. Is the issue with the toe itself and not merely how the steering wheel is bolted? Would it then be better to live with it than play around with factory fitment?
Removing the steering and putting it back in place used it work in 1980s Mahindra Jeep or an Ambassador. These cars had so much "steering play" that minor steering cross/offset couldn't be detected anyway. The above technique was used whenever there was a large offset/cross.

Now in modern cars, if you try to remove the steering and put it back, steering will be offset in the other direction - because it is fixed using a bolt and that has only 6 sides like this:

Tata Tiago : Official Review-pic04.jpg

Most wheel alignment technicians do the following -

1) Center the steering wheel first
2) Use that device to hold steering wheel in place
3) Adjust toe setting on both sides

The above does NOT fix the steering offset problem. The only way to fix the steering offset problem is to adjust toe angle the way I explained. Bangalore Tiago owners can go to the following places to fix the steering offset issue - because they know what to do!

Madhus Enterprises (has awesome never-seen-before wheel alignment machinery)
https://goo.gl/maps/BbxaVFTdyWp

BR Tyres
https://goo.gl/maps/aTwzzSYHbr52

Of course, you can go to any wheel alignment shop, but you need to give them certain instructions.

Last edited by SmartCat : 7th September 2018 at 13:13.
SmartCat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 14:42   #2064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post

Most wheel alignment technicians do the following -

1) Center the steering wheel first
2) Use that device to hold steering wheel in place
3) Adjust toe setting on both sides
I can second that through experience. My spark had its steering tilted by 30 to 40 degrees after an attempt to rectify a horn pin issue. My mechanic also suggested to remove the steering and put it back. But finally it was done without any such thing at the alignment centre probably through the above method.

It's funny how Tata could have missed this.
400notout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 17:34   #2065
Distinguished - BHPian

Test drove the Tiago AMT today as my In Laws are looking to replace their 2012 Nano with an automatic. As usual, the Celerio was the first and might be the final choice but I am pushing them to consider the Tiago as well. The Test drive today raised more questions about the Tiago and hence looking for answers from owners
  • Creep function - creep function seemed very muted and I had to use the A pedal to get moving when I had stopped on an incline. Experience with Celerio was very different as creep was strong and didnt struggle to move up the incline.
  • NVH - post 2.5k rpm, there is a lot of clatter heard in cabin. But reading updates here suggests that the 2018 models are very quiet. Could this be a specific problem with the TD car?
  • Gear shifts - in my 20 min ride, I found it hard to get a sense of when the system will upshift/downshift. Car was struggling for breath in 3rd gear when it should have been in 2nd while climbing a flyover and it was still grinding away in 2nd when it could have easily shifted to 3rd during a straight stretch. Didnt face this issue with the Celerio as within a few minutes, I was able to easily figure out when the system will change gears
  • City vs Sport - in city mode, it feels like the car is lugging where as sport seems to be the best mode to drive the car. Am I wrong in this assumption?
  • Clutch issues - i have seen a few posts that mention burning smell while driving. Have there been any reports of early clutch wear in AMTs? I know the celerio has a dedicated thread for AMT woes, wanted to understand if there are any such gremlins in the tiago
  • Mechanicals - looking for feedback from MT owners who have driven 20-30K kms in their steeds. How does the engine feel? how have the components in the engine bay aged?
  • Kitna deti hai - a quick peek at my TD car FE showed 9-10 kmpl.What could be a realistic estimate in B2B city conditions?
Would also help if recent XZA owners from Bangalore can share OTR price + discounts provided by dealers. While my heart says Tiago, I dont want to give my better half (and my in laws) any more reasons to point fingers at me

Last edited by procrj : 9th September 2018 at 17:45.
Old 9th September 2018, 22:09   #2066
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Test drove the Tiago AMT today as my In Laws are looking to replace their 2012 Nano with an automatic. As usual, the Celerio was the first and might be the final choice but I am pushing them to consider the Tiago as well. The Test drive today raised more questions about the Tiago and hence looking for answers from owners
  • Creep function - creep function seemed very muted and I had to use the A pedal to get moving when I had stopped on an incline. Experience with Celerio was very different as creep was strong and didnt struggle to move up the incline.
  • NVH - post 2.5k rpm, there is a lot of clatter heard in cabin. But reading updates here suggests that the 2018 models are very quiet. Could this be a specific problem with the TD car?
  • Gear shifts - in my 20 min ride, I found it hard to get a sense of when the system will upshift/downshift. Car was struggling for breath in 3rd gear when it should have been in 2nd while climbing a flyover and it was still grinding away in 2nd when it could have easily shifted to 3rd during a straight stretch. Didnt face this issue with the Celerio as within a few minutes, I was able to easily figure out when the system will change gears
  • City vs Sport - in city mode, it feels like the car is lugging where as sport seems to be the best mode to drive the car. Am I wrong in this assumption?
  • Clutch issues - i have seen a few posts that mention burning smell while driving. Have there been any reports of early clutch wear in AMTs? I know the celerio has a dedicated thread for AMT woes, wanted to understand if there are any such gremlins in the tiago
  • Mechanicals - looking for feedback from MT owners who have driven 20-30K kms in their steeds. How does the engine feel? how have the components in the engine bay aged?
  • Kitna deti hai - a quick peek at my TD car FE showed 9-10 kmpl.What could be a realistic estimate in B2B city conditions?
Would also help if recent XZA owners from Bangalore can share OTR price + discounts provided by dealers. While my heart says Tiago, I dont want to give my better half (and my in laws) any more reasons to point fingers at me
Here are my points.

Creep function works best and only on flat surfaces. It's the same with all AMT's. In an incline no AMT will be able to take off without accelerator and handbrake.

NVH is really good, maybe TD vehicle is an older model year.

Gearshifts are really slow but it's good only in sedate driving. If you're driving pedal to the metal way you'll be disappointed.

Regarding reliability TATA's got you covered with 2+2 extended warranty and then P2P.

Mileage is on the lower side with AMT's. This is same for all AMT car's.

Tiago is anyday better than Celerio.
Old 10th September 2018, 01:15   #2067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
- Creep. Works as advertised. If you were on an incline, and you had pulled up the handbrake, then when you release it, creep gets activated after 2-3 seconds. It's a kind of hill-hold feature. Gives you enough time to shift your foot from brake to accelerator. If this was not the case, then please try again in a relatively fresh Tiago AMT. The creep is not eager, doesn't lunge forward (unless you stomp the A pedal) - and beautifully builds up speed - well below 10 kmph. VERY useful in B2B, in fact nudging it forward will take a toll on FE. Just let it do it's job, it does it.

- NVH vastly improved. No such issues. Can confirm what most Tiago owners on the forum are already saying. Major difference between 2017 TD cars and 2018 models

- Was this your first brush with an AMT? A gentle tap on the brake would have brought it down to 2nd from 3rd on the flyover. This, would be better, as opposed to mashing the A -pedal. It would take 3 to 4 seconds for the AMT to realize it and step down. Very discomforting. Don't worry, it does NOT stall. It downshifts. But no point stomping on the A. Just a light tap on the B does a better job.

- Each has it's own reason. City is perfect for B2B, little empty stretch and you are really itching to put it in S. Or if you are like me, shift to manual the moment I get a chance. Heck it's still not straining my left foot. I love driving it in manual.

- No such clutch issues known so far. Tiago has been consistently outselling the Celerio - and yes, plenty of reports on the Celerio AMT (which does not have a sport mode). Haven't heard of any AMT failure or replacement on Tiago yet. Few guys got ECU flashed and the like, but that's it.

- 1st batch of the Tiago XZA, had booked it even before launch. 18 months with a AT - no issues. Touchwood. Happy to report. No squeaks. No rattles. No broken bits. Although poor running and ONLY in B2B traffic. 8k clocked in 16 months.

- Again, 1st time with AMT? Sorry for asking again. I had the same issue for the first 6 months. Would keep feeling miserable. Turns out it was just my driving style, not adapted to AMT. Light taps on the A pedal, is all that is needed. Even in City mode. If not enough, just press the 'S'. But don't stomp on the A pedal. FE does take a hit. The best I have had is 19.2 kmpl highway and the worst is 9.5 in the city. Usually, B2B - figure is around 10.

Hope this helps!
There are a LOT of aspects about the Tiago that is definitely much better than the Celerio. Without a doubt, its one of the few Tata's that's beating a Maruti of the same segment in sales figures regularly. That says a lot!
From adjustable front headrests to that sweet sounding HK system, the chiller AC and most importantly, the build quality. Plastics to metal. At almost the same price, and when you factor in the P2P plan - it makes more sense to go for the Tiago.

P.S. We too upgraded from a 2012 Nano. Better half was adamant on getting the AMT Nano, but I was adamant on airbags - thus... Tiago.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 01:39   #2068
Senior - BHPian

I would say that creep would also be subject to accelerator pedal setting.
My car had the accelerator pedal set so that the car would creep forward even without pressing it, even on inclines.

also the steering refit an remove solution has worked on my indica once as a solution to center it!
Old 15th September 2018, 07:19   #2069
Senior - BHPian

I've made a video review of the improvements in Tiago's refinement and NVH levels. Also I've driven the car on steep incline to show you how to overcome the AMT gearbox struggling issue.

Hope this helps a prospective owner. This car truly is best in it's segment and comes very close to even beating the Grand i10.
stanjohn123 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 15:52   #2070
BHPian

Hi All

We saw the upgraded(?!) Tiago & Tigor twins in Coimbatore last week end and seeing the camouflage stickers on I could not resist but click.

I think changes are mostly cosmetic and is mostly concentrated towards the nose and tail.

1. Nose is a lot more sharper with additional cladding
2. Blacked out headlamps looks swell
3. Additional slats can be seen below near the air intake area
4. Tigor has a lot more going on on the bonnet
5. New rims look nice- has there been an upgrade too?
6. IMHO the car stood a tad taller

The 'T' badge has been blanked out and the drivers soon as they saw I was clicking the slowed down in traffic :-)

Will let the specialists comment more changes that may be be seen.

Z
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20180915_102129.jpg  

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20180915_102201.jpg  

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20180915_102015.jpg  

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20180915_102258.jpg  

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20180915_112610.jpg  

zavegur is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks