Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2017, 03:38   #886
BHPian

Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Hi Friends, was thinking of changing the headlights from the existing company fit to full white LED. I have a BRV iDTEC V trim. Was wondering if anybody has done it already, and if yes how is the experience and how much did it cost.
preetamkabra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2017, 11:41   #887
BHPian

Has anyone tried installing cruise control in BRV. If yes, please share the details. I saw an after market kit ad in facebook but unfortunately it was from Pakistan (not sure if I can import from Pakistan).

I started using cruise control extensively in my Vento TSI. It's actually useful even in Bangalore city traffic so keen to explore the same options for BRV.
newway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 13:47   #888
BHPian

Hi Friends ,

Let me share my thoughts and experience in search of an Automatic transmission car that can accommodate 5 people comfortably. After trying out few for 5 passenger cars like Ciaz and City , I finally thought of trying out a 6 or 7 seater car to give more comfort to the 5th passenger. Honda BR -V seemed to be a perfect and only match in available budget. Even good discount was on offer for month of December. Hence I took a test drive of it. My observations are as under.

Liked
1) First row seats are very comfortable and driving position is also very good.
2) 7 speed CVT auto box is good to drive. It's a very easy to drive car despite the length.
3) Overall quality of interiors / exteriors is acceptable.

Disliked / Deal breaker .
1) The second row seats are not at all comfortable , the seat has no under thigh support. All my family members are minimum 5'-6" tall.
2) 5th passenger can use the 3rd row. But he feels like seating in a luggage compartment when the 60:40 split is used to accommodate the bags.
3) No reverse parking camera , no driver armrest for a car at this price.
amolathalye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 11:36   #889
BHPian

Hi friends, update from recent 1200+ km drive to Amritsar, Ludhiana, Ferozepur border and back to NCR.

Nothing like driving through Punjab during winters, so off I was to PB for few days and what an experience it was driving along mustard fields, eucalyptus trees, relishing fresh indian breads and all that Punjabi cuisine had to offer to a foodie like me. This was my annual get away to Punjab and i always look forward to it. I'm so smitten by the elements there that after my BRV drive I took a few days leave from work and then rode back to Punjab on my Duke which was another exhilarating experience.

Few key lauds for BRV:
1. Finally the FE is something to talk about, got ~16kmpl with 50% time using AC.
2. Uneven, bumpy roads through villages and certain sections, no problem with high GC
3. Paddle shifts are a delight for those quick overtakes (even in D mode)
4. Space & seating options are perfect for family comfort
5. Barring fuel stops & hunger pangs, I wasn't fatigued driving (thanks to CVT) for many miles. Oh, can't miss this, the mapymyindia in Alpine AVN proved horrible once I was off the highways. If it wasn't for google maps on my Android (stopped my wife's sniggering in its tracks), I wouldn't have made out of those village roads which I took out of sheer curiosity to experience.

Here are a few pics:
1. The Golden Temple 2. Entering Amritsar 3. Golden Temple at night 4. mouth watering Amritsar's 'choley kulchy' 5. Jalianwala bagh's bullet marked wall 6 & 7: At Wagah border (morning time) 8. A very peaceful and satisfying drive under the winter Sun, enroute Ferozepur border from Amritsar 9. At memorial of Sukhdev, Bhagat Singh & Rajguru (ferozepur) 10. Pakistan as seen from Indian side at Hussainiwala/Ferozepur border before flag retreat ceremony 11. With Santa (my kid) at this border

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20171223_125247effects.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20171223_185033.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-00001img_00001_burst20171224102536.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20171223_194252.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20171224_093658.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20171225_111837.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20171225_112052.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20171225_131640.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20171225_145649.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20171225_155922.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20171225_161306.jpg  

wangdu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 20:52   #890
BHPian

Awesome pics Wangdu sir. People find known people on FB, whatsapp etc.

I found you on TBHP. Thank you TBHP.

-PK
pk_del is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 22:57   #891
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday, the engine checklight starting glowing ORANGE -

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180102_123154.jpg

I opened the bonnet only to find a cut electric wire and large hole on a rubber pipe. Thanks to a rat!

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180102_090812.jpg

I whatsapped the pics to service advisor and he said it is safe to drive down to the service center since there was no fluid leakage anywhere. He also mentioned that if problem was critical, the engine check light would glow RED.

At the service center, he mentioned that the rubber hose was 'engine vacuum tube' and the electric wire was some kind of sensor cable. The replacement parts will arrive in a week or two. As a temporary fix, some jugaad work was done at the service center (charges Rs. 600) -

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180103_172003.jpg

I have bought a nice gift (a cake) for the rat - after all, thanks to the rat, now I know a thing or two about vacuum pipe and engine check light colours.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180103_224708.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 3rd January 2018 at 22:58.
SmartCat is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 00:31   #892
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I have bought a nice gift (a cake) for the rat - after all, thanks to the rat, now I know a thing or two about vacuum pipe and engine check light colours.
This is purely a waste of money IMHO. Never worked for me, I mean it's like hosting a dinner for the rodent, while they keep on bestowing their cuts and damages.

I later started keeping the cakes near the entrance of my parking(from where the rat enters). One rat was so arrogant, it picked up the cake, brought it inside the engine bay(like how we get food packed from restaurant ), had a feast on the cake and some wires in the process, pooped there and left.
Leoshashi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 07:17   #893
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Thanks to a rat
Remember getting in touch with you few months back for addressing a BRV belonging to a colleague that faced the wrath of rats in similar fashion?

Here's what he did himself when ASC quoted him a heavy package for installing a mesh only at the fresh air duct side and not really addressing anything under the hood.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-20180104-07.09.33.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-20180104-07.09.07.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-20180104-07.08.38.jpg

The red powder is chilly that he thought will keep the rats away but they did return back soon after damaging another set of wires around the throttle body area.

He himself spent some time with a metal mesh and wrapped around potential areas like this and had shared pictures with me.

This was at least 6 months back and the rats made it into his hood only because his car was unused for over 15 days after which he started to drive regularly and even 2 days back when I had been to work and met him he said "I have not called you and that means rats haven't attacked my car" .

In fact he also has another car (WagonR Stingray) which too had faced this but only once.
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 20:55   #894
VR4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newway View Post
Has anyone tried installing cruise control in BRV. If yes, please share the details. I saw an after market kit ad in facebook but unfortunately it was from Pakistan (not sure if I can import from Pakistan).

I started using cruise control extensively in my Vento TSI. It's actually useful even in Bangalore city traffic so keen to explore the same options for BRV.
newway, don't even think about it.

Firstly the warranty would be void and secondly and more importantly very risky.

Have checked it with Honda directly and it's a strict NO NO.
VR4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 21:01   #895
VR4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by preetamkabra View Post
Hi Friends, was thinking of changing the headlights from the existing company fit to full white LED. I have a BRV iDTEC V trim. Was wondering if anybody has done it already, and if yes how is the experience and how much did it cost.
Hi preetamkabra,

Contact Hella. Send an email to them mentioning your requirement.

Someone would contact you immediately.
VR4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 14:17   #896

Hi team-bhpians,
My Honda-BRV completed 1 Year and had 3rd free service and was charged Rs.1667 @Brigade Honda, Bangalore.

I need few inputs from the experts here.
I recently heard a news that there are fake servicing, that was at Maruti service center. Not sure what others are doing?

1. How to make sure, if it is really serviced like oil changed, etc?
2. My clock on the dashboard was reset, what does that mean?

Please share your thoughts, if this is already discussed elsewhere in the forum please share the link

Thanks
vandanegalu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 15:37   #897
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandanegalu View Post
I need few inputs from the experts here.
Quote:
1. How to make sure, if it is really serviced like oil changed, etc ?
  • Take out the dip-stick and check the colour and consistency of oil, even the level of oil will change after service.
  • If you want to go one step further, ask them to lift the car and you check if the drain bolt is new or not.
  • Open the air filter housing(box) and you can see the new air filter.
  • The oil filter housing for Hondas is usually blue in colour, a new one will be very shiny, no mud/dirt stuck to it
  • If you have a keen eye, you can even make out if they have done the tyre rotation or not. That's because the alloys will also have their positions changed.
  • They also check/clean the brake pads, if it's done your calipers will appear very clean. Just look carefully
  • Your odo should show around 2-5 kms more than when it came to the service center, it means that your vehicle was test driven after the service. But, please note that this is not done by all service centers.
  • Apart from all this, if you have asked for any part to be changed, you can ask them to return the old part to you. Some service centers leave replaced parts in your boot without you even asking.
Note : Every service may not have a change of air and oil filters. Refer the owners manual to see when it needs to be changed.

Quote:
2. My clock on the dashboard was reset, what does that mean ?
The battery was dis-connected.

Last edited by OSH : 7th January 2018 at 15:45.
OSH is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 19:06   #898
BHPian

KITNA DETI HAI ???

This tired,beaten, cliched question continues to torment the Indian motorist each time s/he enters the petrol pump.

So it is uppermost in my mind for my new BRV MT. I usually fill full tank so I get a clear unambiguous reading on the mileage, since I use it as a leading indicator to gauge the health of my car.

This is the third refill and the entire kilometres covered since the last fill was entirely driven in the city. So my first unadulterated reading of city mileage; and it turned out to be a pleasing number 12.05

In the last two fills, the covered kilometres included some highway driving, so with two readings and some nifty algebra I calculated the city driving mileage at 11.89 and the highway mileage at 14.20

It was gratifying to see that the 11.89 was at striking distance of 12.05
So Algebra continues to work

With my Honda City AT I used to get around 10 kmpl in the city, so I'm really not too surprised to get 12.05 with MT.
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 07:01   #899
BHPian

Has anyone here tried a tyre upgrade on BRV. Would like to know about changes to the ride quality and impact on mileage.

Also suggestions on size and exchange price in Bangalore (if I do it immediately after delivery).

I have not called the dealers yet, wanted to check the experience before that.
Old 22nd January 2018, 12:12   #900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newway View Post
Has anyone here tried a tyre upgrade on BRV. Would like to know about changes to the ride quality and impact on mileage.

Also suggestions on size and exchange price in Bangalore (if I do it immediately after delivery).

I have not called the dealers yet, wanted to check the experience before that.
which ones are driving you around and to which ones you want to upgrade/change?

IIRC earlier BRV was shod with Michelin ST3 and since 12-18 months it's Good-Year assurance that have been doing the duty. Myself included, I haven't yet met any (in my limited circle) who found a very glaring reason to bare it off of 'good year' and go back to Michelin though. Please share your thoughts.

@'heavy horse' can you confirm what's latest since you purchased BRV lately.

Last edited by wangdu : 22nd January 2018 at 12:13. Reason: a typo
wangdu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks