Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2020, 15:22   #2236
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

I have just booked a 2.4MT GX variant here in Bangalore. Now the GX variant is pretty bare bones and I have selected a few accessories that I would like to have installed, one of them being fog lamps since Toyota does not provide that in the GX. I had a query on installation of fog lamps in a BS VI model since the DPF switch and the parking sensors occupy both the available slots. See below:

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-dpf-parking-sensor.jpg

I think in the earlier BS IV GX models the fog lamp switch used to be installed in place of the DPF switch since the slot was empty. Anyone have this installed in their BS VI model and if so where exactly?
Mile10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 08:20   #2237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile10 View Post
I think in the earlier BS IV GX models the fog lamp switch used to be installed in place of the DPF switch since the slot was empty. Anyone have this installed in their BS VI model and if so where exactly?
In the higher variants of crysta, the fog lamps are integrated into the headlamp stalks. You might want to figure out if there's a way to get the same headlamp stalks used on crysta's higher variants.
amalji is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 16:57   #2238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
In the higher variants of crysta, the fog lamps are integrated into the headlamp stalks. You might want to figure out if there's a way to get the same headlamp stalks used on crysta's higher variants.
Thank you Amalji. I checked with the Dealer Nandi Toyota, Hosur Road, they seem to suggest that doing that is not possible since the headlamp stalk unit is completely different for GX and ZX. The accessories department at the dealer have a solution, which is a bit of Jugaad to be honest. They suggested that they would have the fog lamp switch installed by replacing the parking sensor switch, essentially which means that the option of turning off the rear parking sensor would no longer be available it would always be 'On' and available on slotting the gear into reverse.

While I'm not very convinced about this approach but it just maybe the cleanest way of installing fog lamps which I require at the dealer level and reduces clutter. Also the fact is in my other cars i have really never switched off the parking sensors ever. I just wish Toyota had factored in the DPF switch in BS VI models and provided at least one more dummy button in the same place especially for the lower variants since fog lamps I believe are essential where the visibility is poor.
Mile10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 12:44   #2239
BHPian

Quote:
While I'm not very convinced about this approach but it just maybe the cleanest way of installing fog lamps which I require at the dealer level and reduces clutter.
Here's another option.

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20200702_194849.jpg

It doesn't look bad if installed neatly and the switch is easily accessible from the driver's seat

Last edited by daf23 : 7th July 2020 at 12:57.
daf23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 12:08   #2240
BHPian

Hello all, recently I had a rat byte into my 2.8AT's engine bay and the rat had chewed off the (injection?) wire that controlled one of the 4 cylinders. So when I noticed the warning light and checked the engine when it was on, it was vibrating a lot. This is presumably because one cylinder was shut and 3 cylinders means off balance.
I got it repaired at a local garage because the Toyota on road service was not functional due to covid. Everything was fine.
Later that week I had to travel after the inter-district travel was allowed, and during that time I noticed that the warning light came up again! and noticed that engine was shaking because the 4th cylinder was off. Which meant that whatever fix was done to the wire, is not working. I tried to fix it myself but everything looked OK, as in there was no lose connection or anything of that sort. Interestingly, the connectivity would regain after engine bay cooled down a bit! So I concluded that it is a quality issue with the wire where its losing connectivity under high heat. I called a person I knew in Toyota workshop and he asked me to take it nearest toyota service. He said it was OK to drive slowly in this condition. I was near Haveri on NH4 and nearest service center was Hubli. So i had to drive about 100 kms at very low speed with warning light on.
At Hubli they fixed the wire. The root cause was that the FNG had soldered the connection and that would give up under high temperature. So they replaced the connection from end to end including the coupler and now its all fine.

My only concern is and which experts can help with, I just hope driving some 100 kms on 3 cylinders only shouldn't have caused any damage? Any thoughts on this will be highly appreciated.
Old 10th July 2020, 14:00   #2241
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daf23 View Post
Here's another option.

Attachment 2026303

It doesn't look bad if installed neatly and the switch is easily accessible from the driver's seat
There is a dummy position for a switch right above this place, to the left of the drive mode buttons. Instead of using that, why did they install it here?
Old 10th July 2020, 15:52   #2242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
There is a dummy position for a switch right above this place, to the left of the drive mode buttons. Instead of using that, why did they install it here?
There is no dummy switch, the one on the left is for rear defogger.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20200710_155000.jpg  

daf23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 16:38   #2243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yikes, that switch with exposed bits look pretty bad. Other than replacing headlamp stalks, I can't seem to find a better place though. May be drill a hole somewhere in dash and flush fit the switch there? If Fog lamp is an official accessory, Toyota better provide an option to fix the switch. Until BS6, Almost all GX used to get fog lamps added, with BS6, I think many will just drop.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 18:19   #2244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oops sorry I have this dummy in the ZX and thought its the same in other variants too. In the ZX the rear defogger is integrated into the climate control unit.

Has anyone installed projectors in the fog lights? I realised that the LED headlights are no good when theres oncoming traffic and completely pathetic in rain. I know we can't expect headlight performance in rain, but I have had good experience with using HID projectors in my SX4 and hence want to install them on the Innova. If someone has done this then please share your experience.

Last edited by audioholic : 10th July 2020 at 18:30.
Old 10th July 2020, 19:28   #2245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Oops sorry I have this dummy in the ZX and thought its the same in other variants too. In the ZX the rear defogger is integrated into the climate control unit.

Has anyone installed projectors in the fog lights? I realised that the LED headlights are no good when theres oncoming traffic and completely pathetic in rain. I know we can't expect headlight performance in rain, but I have had good experience with using HID projectors in my SX4 and hence want to install them on the Innova. If someone has done this then please share your experience.
Yes Sir in the Crysta ZX variant the rear aircon control in integrated in the HVAC knob and there is a dummy whereas in the GX variant the rear aircon button is present in this place
Attached Images

CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 19:45   #2246
BHPian

Quote:
Here's another option.

Thank you daf23, that is another option, just concerned about the exposed bit though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
If Fog lamp is an official accessory, Toyota better provide an option to fix the switch. Until BS6, Almost all GX used to get fog lamps added, with BS6, I think many will just drop.
Exactly my thoughts as well PrideRed, fog lamp is an official Toyota accessory and Toyota should at least provide an additional dummy switch in BS VI models or upgrade the GX to be made available with factory fitted fog lights. Then the controls can be integrated in the headlamp stalks like in the ZX. I drive quite often to Coonoor from Bangalore and is quite essential up in the hills.
Old 12th July 2020, 11:49   #2247
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Amalji. I checked with the Dealer Nandi Toyota, Hosur Road, they seem to suggest that doing that is not possible since the headlamp stalk unit is completely different for GX and ZX. The accessories department at the dealer have a solution, which is a bit of Jugaad to be honest. They suggested that they would have the fog lamp switch installed by replacing the parking sensor switch, essentially which means that the option of turning off the rear parking sensor would no longer be available it would always be 'On' and available on slotting the gear into reverse.

While I'm not very convinced about this approach but it just maybe the cleanest way of installing fog lamps which I require at the dealer level and reduces clutter. Also the fact is in my other cars i have really never switched off the parking sensors ever. I just wish Toyota had factored in the DPF switch in BS VI models and provided at least one more dummy button in the same place especially for the lower variants since fog lamps I believe are essential where the visibility is poor.
Hello
Replacing the parking sensor switch would be the best option. I really don’t see the point in having that switch unless there are parking sensors all around .
In fact the first time i was reversing the vehicle i thought the sensors were off before i actually noticed the switch and put it on !
Thankfully unlike the auto start stop function it remains on even after restarts and shall stay the same way !
atlantis0965 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 22:15   #2248
BHPian

40,000 kms service & experience with TOYOTA CONNECT APP

Our is a 2019 Innova Crysta Z-AT and chauffeur driven 95% of time with majority of usage on state and national highways. Service was due in last month itself however couldnt get it done because of covid situation. This time I decided to try the app, so booked an appointment for quick service (Express60) on monday i.e 13/7. I made the booking on sunday i.e 12/7 and was expecting no one will bother. However I was suprised to get a call on the day of service at 10 AM for re-confirmation. I have taken it myself, inspection was done and I was promised a delivery within 60 mins, however I asked them to check for the brake shudder issue which I have been facing whenever I drive. Hence left the vehicle with them.

-Service was quick. Gen service done within an hour & they took an extra hour to skin discs

- This time they gave me a proforma invoice instead of jobcard, so one can see any additions like fuel injector cleaning, ac clean, rust clean blah blah. Last two times they billed me extra despite clear instructions from me, however the amount was refunded later. Approximately 3000-4000 rupees saving.

Regarding braking

- Brake pads on our crysta were changed at 35,000 kms inspection which was conducted by a toyota mobile camp at my hometown, I was not available at that time to inspect. 35k brake pad life seems very less to me on our innova considering the way our chauffeur drives (see below)

- I noticed shudder couples of times over last 1 years, but that is again after driving for sometime on highways & braking from high speeds (brake fade??). So this time I insisted them to check properly & change the discs if needed. However I was told they did skim the discs and didnt notice any shudder when they went for test drive.

The braking fade is not a big issue for me as its chauffeur driven most of time and our chauffeur is a very careful one and never cross 100 kmph & stays around 80 kmph for most of the time. I have seen on the forum that its a known issue and the only fool-proof solution is to go for a big brake kit .

- Service costed Rs 11,500 including WA/WB.

So far the vehicle has been reliable, but I will reserve my comments till atleast 1.5 Lakh kilometres. Will interesting to see how experience with crysta is going to be. Our 2 previous innovas have done a combined mileage of 4.5 Lakh(2.7 Lakh in a 2006 model & 1.8 lakh in 2012 model) kilometres and the experience, reliability has been terrific till the time we have sold them. Resale has been added bonus too. I would like to hear from fellow members regarding their experience especially who have high usage. From whatever I spoke to cabbies, everyone consistently complained that running cost is high mainly because of tyres, suspension..etc. But they still buy crysta because customers are demanding crysta
harsha.muvva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 12:00   #2249
BHPian

One of the USPs of the older Toyotas was low maintenance and service cost. Going through this thread, it doesn't seem to be true of the newer Toyotas. 11.5k is like a huge cost. Is this the cost for the service at every 5k kms?
Old 16th July 2020, 12:06   #2250
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official ReviewA

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
One of the USPs of the older Toyotas was low maintenance and service cost. Going through this thread, it doesn't seem to be true of the newer Toyotas. 11.5k is like a huge cost. Is this the cost for the service at every 5k kms?
The 5k interval was just an inspection which doesn't involve any periodic replacement. This inspection has been done away with and now its a one year 10k kms service interval.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks