Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2022, 19:06   #3106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Innova’s 2.7L petrol manual review.

No one had done a review on this particular engine-gearbox combination, so had to share this guy’s video.

CEF_Beasts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 19:19   #3107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post

No one had done a review on this particular engine-gearbox combination, so had to share this guy’s video.
The way he droned about fuel for first 3-4 minutes was very irritating. I don't think I learnt anything from that video that I didn't know before, although I might've lost a couple of brain cells

No offence meant to you sir.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st June 2022 at 22:09. Reason: a word
Stolidus500 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 20:20   #3108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolidus500 View Post
No offence meant to you sir.
None taken, Please no need for the ‘Sir’

Quote:
The way he droned about fuel for first 3-4 minutes was very irritating. I don't think I learnt anything from that video that I didn't before, although I might've lost a couple of brain cells
He’s a typical character, he can’t expect great economy when the car is a BoF with an old-school large capacity NA 2.7L.

And that continuous revving the engine till the redline will always give eye-watering fuel economy.

Had shared the video for the performance attribute of this specific powertrain. Doesn’t feel underpowered at all in the manual guise! Considering we had a manual petrol 2005 Innova till 2014, we are seriously considering the petrol Crysta albeit in the AT guise.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 21:25   #3109
BHPian

Quote:

https://Youtu.be/lppjAtH5kUc
Yes, this guy reviewed my Corolla and that's my best friend's Innova! I also tried telling him to do it for our 2.7 Auto as it sells more (from what I have seen / noticed) but he said he's okay doing just the manual.
adigup is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 21:49   #3110
BHPian

Quote:
Doesn’t feel underpowered at all in the manual guise! Considering we had a manual petrol 2005 Innova till 2014, we are seriously considering the petrol Crysta albeit in the AT guise.
I didn't expect the engine to revv so freely. That was a surprise.
I wouldn't consider petrol manual as FE will not be so drastically different as auto comes with 6 ratios. And that lever dance is something else
Stolidus500 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 21:55   #3111
BHPian

Quote:
I wouldn't consider petrol manual as FE will not be so drastically different as auto comes with 6 ratios. And that lever dance is something else
My friend (from his petrol manual) gets 6-8 kmpl in city, and 10 at max on highways. Whereas, our petrol automatic manages 7-9 kmpl in city and 9-13 on highways.
adigup is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 22:15   #3112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Having read several reviews about the Petrol Crysta now, the engine is extremely free revving and when revved in neutral till the redline the entire cabin shakes like a muscle car! Although I haven’t seen the gear lever dance this much even in the diesel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adigup View Post
Yes, this guy reviewed my Corolla and that's my best friend's Innova! I also tried telling him to do it for our 2.7 Auto as it sells more (from what I have seen / noticed) but he said he's okay doing just the manual.
FK was mentioning about the clutch being gone in your friend’s car, was that the real case at ~24k kms or was he just blabbing nonsense to extend his video?

Have been following this guy’s videos on his Crysta ZX 2.7L AT :-

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 21st June 2022 at 22:20.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 22:23   #3113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumping Soul View Post
Its not even a mind vs heart thing anymore.
Please help!
Okay, let's clear some aspects first. I own a Tata Safari XZA+ and it's been 3 months. I have extensive experience with an innova Crysta ZX AT 2.8, as my father in law owns one.

Where the Safari shines:
1. NVH
2. AT Gearbox tuning
3. Driving pleasure (personal opinion)
4. Creature comforts - panaromic sunroof, ventilated seats, EPB Auto hold, wireless AA/ AC etc. Not sure if the updated Innova got any of these. The pre facelift one does not even have wired AA/ AC
5. Sound quality
6. Safari's interiors feels much more modern and plush

Where Innova shines
1. Stellar reliability
2. Ease of maintenance
3. No nonsense machine
4. Better third row space
5. Better boot space with all rows up
6. Proper people mover - no one would complain about sitting at a particular place. Avg sized adults would be okay in 3rd row.
7. Underrated feature - soft close for boot lid

Some non measurable aspects which made me choose the Safari. Tata felt more modern and appealing to me. It is more of an SUV than MUV, though FWD. Nothing with the Innova could steal my heart. May be the facelifted Innova would bring something cool to the table, but until then, the 700 or Safari are way too cooler options.

Not that the Safari is without problems. My car was delivered with an engine warning, service was poorly done etc. But, after it was rectified, I never think about it - the car makes me forget everything.
NotanF1driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 22:24   #3114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobuk View Post
I have a Tein EDFC Active Pro on my crysta.
I am struggling though with the configuration. Do you know anyone in Bangalore who can help with this?
What is the issue that you are facing ?
Old 22nd June 2022, 15:19   #3115
BHPian

Quote:
FK was mentioning about the clutch being gone in your friend’s car, was that the real case at ~24k kms or was he just blabbing nonsense to extend his video?
It's at 30,000 kms today and it's absolutely perfect. Came back from service yesterday, and no, the clutch is not faulty.
adigup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 22:41   #3116
Distinguished - BHPian

Today I had taken my Crysta for Wheel alignment since it was royally messed up during service(another screw up by the dealership) and while the brilliant guys at Tyre Professionals(sister concern of Madhus) sorted things out as usual, there was another yellow board Innova whose driver was also having alignment issues. After that we had a casual chat on various matters including BS4 and BS6 and shortly after that, he himself mentioned that towards the end of the year we will no longer get the diesel engine Crysta since the face-lift will only offer petrol. While that info was not interesting to me as there is more available in the forum itself, what interested me was that the taxi market is trying to lap up crysta before the diesel is discontinued.

That means, those who were concerned about what happens towards the end of this current versions production should not worry much with respect to resale. Every last Crysta will be grabbed by the taxi market and then sold for a premium in case the current model is completely phased out.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 04:31   #3117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
After that we had a casual chat on various matters including BS4 and BS6 and shortly after that, he himself mentioned that towards the end of the year we will no longer get the diesel engine Crysta since the face-lift will only offer petrol.
I doubt if TKML would do that. This is their bread and butter product. The model that brings them all the dough. The engine and emission management will need to be updated for the new model. Without a diesel engine option, they might as well hand the baton over to Kia.
Old 24th June 2022, 05:18   #3118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I doubt if TKML would do that. This is their bread and butter product. Without a diesel engine option, they might as well hand the baton over to Kia.
I mentioned this before a few months back, Petrol Hybrid is a real thing and don’t be surprised if Toyota does pull out Diesel entirely. Loyal Toyota customers are not going to buy a Kia. And with this hybrid combo, they will get more customers from other segments. Toyota is no Maruti, they pulled the plug on Qualis which used to sell so well and replaced it with Innova and they never looked back.
Turbanator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 08:17   #3119
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Meanwhile, my Crysta is inching towards its 80k service. Should be done in a couple of weeks max. My Crysta is about to enter its 4th year in July. Thus far, all my services have been with Nandi Toyota at Kanakpura road. I keep to their standard times of check up every 5K and a service every 10k. Have changed my tyres once.

I feel th at the car still drives like the day it did on day1. A few minor rattles show up on and off and besides that, I can’t be more happier.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-af027bb8763649b4a427b0a4591b6e33.jpeg  

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-02023206aca242228276665227d1a8c2.jpeg  

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-80a4491cc4954d739d720a3bf0e80ec4.jpeg  

jkrishnakj is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 11:45   #3120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I mentioned this before a few months back, Petrol Hybrid is a real thing and don’t be surprised if Toyota does pull out Diesel entirely. Loyal Toyota customers are not going to buy a Kia. And with this hybrid combo, they will get more customers from other segments. Toyota is no Maruti, they pulled the plug on Qualis which used to sell so well and replaced it with Innova and they never looked back.
FE does matter, if there’s not much difference in FE between the petrol hybrid and diesel version, I think Toyota can leave diesel out of the fray especially since the 2.4 AT feels like it lacks that grunt 2.8 AT used to offer. Hopefully hybrid version will have better driving dynamics for AT.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks