Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2022, 08:25   #3256
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Thomas View Post
I had booked a Diesel Crysta automatic ….
But was willing to ignore all that for the reliability factor , fuss free ownership and good resale value.

Wanted to ask fellow bhpians , is it prudent to still go ahead with the booking , or should i look for another car?
Apologies for a long one.

I was in your position a few months ago. I booked a petrol variant in February and soon came to know from this forum that a new one is coming up by the year end. Deep down the heart there was a pull to experience the new, but then the reasoning kicked in.
1.launch being months away and the details not clear then as now
2. Petrol, as I clock less distance and the expected price rise may be a factor for the hybrid.
3. The prime requirement being middle row comfort for family and an occasional comfortable 5-6 people mover about which there is no doubt, so I did not have any grouse with the current model and did not expect the upcoming one to be remarkably better in this aspect.
4. As you said, relatively hassle free ownership for years and proven reliability.
5. I planned to use the vehicle for many years so my anxiety regarding resale value was not a main concern. But many assure that resale may not be a problem, though not as good as a diesel.

The reasoning took over and I am happy with the decision. It was delivered in first week of June. I find its driving seat position more comfortable than my previous Honda City or my wife’s i10 and find myself using it more than expected, that I wonder that I should have gone for a diesel. However, I expect the hybrid to be better than the current petrol in driving dynamics within city.

But I can relate to your dilemma given that the new variant is only a short while away. Perhaps this might help: if you like the existing model as an independent vehicle, not as an outgoing variant and find it satisfying your requirements stick on with it. It takes a bit of decisiveness to do so and may even experience struggles within for many days. Visiting the dealership to see other “Innovae” and reading the ownership reviews of petrol variant Innova and Fortuner in teamBhp helped me immensely when I struggled. I had never seen or driven a petrol innova before I booked one ! It was a head over heart decision.
But if the desire for novelty is strong, cancel immediately, if budget is not a concern and if you have not set the heart on the booked one. The latter may be a natural choice for the most whose hearts rule their heads.

Importantly, if the vehicle will be used by family, their ideas will be quite handy. My family was (and is) very happy with the current one and expressed disappointment when I discussed about cancelling the booking. That overruled everything else. Exploring if they wish to have a new variant or have the current can be quite helpful.
JayG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 08:58   #3257
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now am in 2 minds .
Will i be stuck with a car model whose production is going to stop. And I would probably be buying it at its highest price point ( the way prices have been hiked in the recent past).

My basic requirement was a comfortable and spacious 2nd row to be driven around in for work , and also decent enough to drive around myself at other times.
I’ll say wait it out. The current Innova Crysta is in its 8th year in the market. Everyone knows the new car will be out soon. If you intend to keep your car for long, it is better to go for the new model.

The new car, being a monocoque, should be significantly more comfortable and car like to drive.

Also, you never now how the regulatory scene pans out for diesels. Especially for such an expensive vehicle. You put your hard earned money into it, and suddenly the powers at be declare your shining 2 year old car to be unfit to ply on the roads. That is happening to us diesel owners here in NCR, and you never know when it will be extended elsewhere. People are still paying EMIs on their 2020 model BS4 Innovas, Fortuners and Compasses, and they can’t use their cars this winter. Petrol/hybrid is the way to go now.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 20:36   #3258

Thank you Shreyans Jain for the advice.

Was only wondering, will the new model to be released have the same build quality as the current Innova Crysta / Fortuner / Hilux or will it be built more like the Hyryder/ Urban Cruiser, and would it be much more pricier than the current one?

Thank you JayG for your insight. Was nice reading your post.

When I booked the Innova Crysta a few days back (12th evening to be precise), I had no doubts in my mind. It's only when I was going through this thread few days after the booking that I realised I might have made one of the last bookings in the country for this possibly outgoing model. The car is supposed to reach the coming weekend.

Mixed feelings.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 22nd August 2022 at 08:29. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts
Old 22nd August 2022, 06:05   #3259
BHPian

Quote:
Mixed feelings.
Quite natural! Towards the end of my waiting period, the thread on 20% ethanol blended petrol became active and I wondered if I am making a mistake. But it would be a problem for many including the current hybrids and hope a workaround could evolve if the rule was imposed.
Old 22nd August 2022, 11:48   #3260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
1 lakh kms ( even in Indian conditions ) is nothing for a Toyota.
Mechanically Yes, I would not worry so much. However, at that sort of mileage, its been through a lot and the interiors, parts do wear out. Granted you can't buy a 2.8l today. You can't ignore a brand new 2.4l if the asking price is only a few lacs over this.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 11:54   #3261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
I came across a 2018 Innova Crysta 2.8Z driven for 112000 Kms in one of Toyota U-Trust used car showroom with an asking price of Rs. 22 Lakhs.
It is not a bad deal for that vehicle but if I were in your position I would worry only about possibility of NGT ban on 10 year old Diesels extending to other metros, in which case this one has remaining life of only 6 years.
Old 22nd August 2022, 13:23   #3262
BHPian

Quote:
Now am in 2 minds .
Will i be stuck with a car model whose production is going to stop. And I would probably be buying it at its highest price point ( the way prices have been hiked in the recent past).

My basic requirement was a comfortable and spacious 2nd row to be driven around in for work , and also decent enough to drive around myself at other times.
While the former was ok , when driving myself I felt the position of the steering was a little low ( close to the thigh as i am 6 foot 3, and of a large build. )
But was willing to ignore all that for the reliability factor , fuss free ownership and good resale value.

Wanted to ask fellow bhpians , is it prudent to still go ahead with the booking , or should i look for another car?
Hello Dr.Thomas,
I also got my diesel innova crysta automatic recently in June 2022.
My one-line answer for all your concerns is to go ahead with this vehicle. Coming to your concerns one-by-ne:
- Production stop - As far as i know, they are stopping only the pertrol variant. they have temporarily suspended the diesel booking, but this will still be available even after the new hybrid version is out (sometime early 2023). And, i guess it would be more pricey than it is today.
- Steering position - You can adjust the steering as it has both telescopic and tilt adjustment. since this is automatic, you can even move your seat a bit behind to have a comfortable driving position. So once you start driving, this would be just a matter of adjusting the seats.
Also for your height, this vehicle gives you a most comfortable sitting position and it feels like driving a car and not a SUV. Maybe Scorpio or Safari might be better for sitting position for your height, but this vehicle's reliability, maintenance, fuss free, etc scores above all other vehicles in this segment.
nirleo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 13:31   #3263
BHPian

Quote:
Dear All,

Could you please let me know if the asking price is too steep or is it justified?

Thanks in Advance.
Hi,

Somehow i feel, 22lakhs for a vehicle run more than 1 lakh kms is more. If you can afford few more lakhs, I would recommend to go for a brand new G variant. It might be 2.4l one, but if not better, definitely as good as the 2.8l one. Or else find a better offer for vehicle run for more than a lakh kms.
nirleo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 13:47   #3264
BHPian

Quote:
Dear All,
I need an advice from Innova owners and esteemed members, I came across a 2018 Innova Crysta 2.8Z driven for 112000 Kms in one of Toyota U-Trust used car showroom with an asking price of Rs. 22 Lakhs. I drove the vehicle and except few body scratches and usual wear and tear, there were nothing major. Also the vehicle drove like a charm. After negotiation the final asking price is Rs. 20 Lakhs (including 1% TCS and Name change, which is Rs.27000).

Since its Toyota certified vehicle, i am getting 1 year or 20000 Kms warranty covering Engine, Gearbox and Drive Train. Additionally 1 service is free (Only labour portion). Consumables are extra.

Could you please let me know if the asking price is too steep or is it justified?

Thanks in Advance.

In no way this is a value for money deal. Even in Toyota terms, this is the antithesis of VFM.

You should not pay more than 18L for a vehicle which is 4+ years old and 1L Km+ run.

But, if this is a heart over mind issue - you wanting the 2.8 Z variant - for safety and power and have limited options in the used market, you can go ahead.

Otherwise, fork out some extra money and buy a new one (with the patience to wait for deliver )
sunilch is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 16:47   #3265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
reading the ownership reviews of petrol variant Innova and Fortuner in teamBhp helped me immensely when I struggled. I had never seen or driven a petrol innova before I booked one ! It was a head over heart decision.
Can you point to some petrol innova AT review? Also, did you considered any other vehicle before zeroing in on Innova?
RedMaw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 17:53   #3266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMaw View Post
Can you point to some petrol innova AT review? Also, did you considered any other vehicle before zeroing in on Innova?
These were the ones I used to refer to the most; 2.7 Innova AT, MT and fortuner (as the engine is the same)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...7l-petrol.html (Review: Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7L Petrol AT)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ol-review.html (Garnet Queen: My 2021 Toyota Innova Crysta GX MT Petrol Review)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...review-63.html (Toyota Fortuner : Official Review)

I booked a test drive for an XUV 700 automatic but cancelled it the same day.
Old 22nd August 2022, 18:43   #3267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post

Also, you never now how the regulatory scene pans out for diesels. Especially for such an expensive vehicle. You put your hard earned money into it, and suddenly the powers at be declare your shining 2 year old car to be unfit to ply on the roads. That is happening to us diesel owners here in NCR, and you never know when it will be extended elsewhere. People are still paying EMIs on their 2020 model BS4 Innovas, Fortuners and Compasses, and they can’t use their cars this winter. Petrol/hybrid is the way to go now.
Do not understand this above Sir - are you saying 2020 BS4 cars are not going to be allowed to ply this winter in Delhi NCR ? That is impossible.

Diesel is nowhere near being outrightly banned or stopped - 10 year rule in the NCR applies but other than that its still the largest consumed fuel specially in commercial vehicles as well as ships etc so while the hybrid technology is being pushed buying a diesel vehicle still makes sense to many end users. Buying a second hand vehicle north of 7-8 years poses a problem in the NCR and larger towns. But these find its way into smaller towns.

The new Landcruiser has just started accepting bookings and it is a diesel. It will be north of 1 cr easily and the bookings will be crossing record numbers in most probabilities.

I own a 2016 Innova Z AT 2.8 and I can get 50% of the value of the car I paid even after 6 years + and 1.4 lacs and I have no intention of selling it specially with the Diesel halt for Innovas

I am getting a Fortuner Diesel any day now and this is costing me nearly 50 large ones and the bookings are now increasing further. They will always sell sir- It is the company's job to push more petrol whenever they can and if they can. But Diesel's will always have there markets.

Last edited by vkochar : 22nd August 2022 at 18:46.
Old 22nd August 2022, 20:09   #3268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Do not understand this above Sir - are you saying 2020 BS4 cars are not going to be allowed to ply this winter in Delhi NCR ? That is impossible.
From 1st October onwards, all BS4 and below diesel cars will not be allowed to ply in Delhi NCR whenever the AQI hits 450. Only BS6 diesels can be used.

AQI is that much basically the entire winter.

Apart from this overall directive, state governments are empowered to enforce their own restrictions whenever AQI exceeds 400.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.liv...034834995.html

This is the new rule this time. Between this, odd even, the 10 year limit and god knows what they’ll come up with next year, NCR buyers better think real hard before buying that Innova or Fortuner diesels. Really don’t think your brand new Toyota will get the kind of resale value after 7 years that 7 year old Toyotas are getting today. A correction will happen.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 22nd August 2022 at 20:20.
Old 22nd August 2022, 20:21   #3269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
From 1st October onwards, all BS4 and below diesel cars will not be allowed to ply in Delhi NCR whenever the AQI hits 450. Only BS6 diesels can be used.

AQI is that much basically the entire winter.

Apart from this overall directive, state governments are empowered to enforce their own restrictions whenever AQI exceeds 400.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.liv...034834995.html
Ok so this applies to when the AQI hits a certain level and is a proposal. Real world may not actually imply this as this would render hundreds of thousands of vehicles useless and the person is not going to just sit and buy a new car and throw his current vehicle away. The Odd Even rule also implied a 50% reduction but was it ever materialized other than a few weeks - NO because they could not simply justify it.

The only thing Delhi may do is put a congestion charge like London and many other cities have. And that will take years to imply - it will be the only choice because this way one would just have to shell a fee each time one enters a certain congested zone.

And yes you are right to a certain extent on the viability of buying a diesel in NCR but the sheer numbers are still large and these cars will continue to still sell I believe but yes I get the point.

Interesting to see the next few months / years

Last edited by vkochar : 22nd August 2022 at 20:23.
Old 23rd August 2022, 11:21   #3270
BHPian

Quote:
It's only when I was going through this thread few days after the booking that I realised I might have made one of the last bookings in ….

Please check this thread too, especially the later posts @Dr Thomas

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-diesel-8.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks