Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2017, 14:32   #721
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

The Compass has been spotted with a new colour shade, possibly inside FCA plant premises - a light tone of Beige. Maybe it's for exports only.

According to the OP, the variant in the pics is a 2.0L 4x4 AT.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-c1.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-c2.jpg

RavenAvi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st December 2017, 14:59   #722
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Compass : Official Review

Check out the specs on the Brazilian variant.

Paddle shift, Navigation, Cruise Control,Park assist,etc

Hope the Indian diesel automatic gets them.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 31st December 2017 at 15:09.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2017, 22:12   #723
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Compass has been spotted with a new colour shade, possibly inside FCA plant premises - a light tone of Beige. Maybe it's for exports only.

Isn't this the TrailHawk Variant, the alloys and bumpers are a give away.

A dark Blue, Brown and Purple/Wine color would add a little more flair to the Compass which already oozes character.
Old 31st December 2017, 23:42   #724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

That is for sure an export variant, ready to be shipped. Giveaway is the factory tint for the rear windows, which is legal in many overseas countries, but not in India.
DRIV3R is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 11:45   #725
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Guys,
With respect to the Jeep Compass LTD and Longitude variants, I have an observation that the headlights are insufficient for safe usage. My logic is as below:

The LTD projector version uses HB3 bulbs which in standard version output around 1200 Lumens of light (The OE Long life bulbs); Even High output ones like Osram Nightbreaker and Philips Xtremevision have a Lumen output of 1600-1800 Lumens, with severely compromised life of 250-300 Hours.

Out of this light output, more than 30% of the light is cutoff by the Bixenon Shutter (Hi-Low beam shutter). So the effective light output of the headlight is only 800Lumens per headlight (with Standard bulbs). There is no separate High beam bulb in both the Longitude and the Limited variants.

In Case of the LTD (O) version, it uses D3S HID lamps of 35W with a Light output of 3600 Lumens. From this the shutter reduces 30% of the cutoff light and you still are left with 2500 lumens.

800 Lumens per headlight on the LTD version (with Halogen Bulbs) is completely insufficient and is a hazard and has very poor road visibility.
Even the most basic cars with H4 bulbs and single reflectors have 1200 Lumen light output (as there is no shutter in them and you get full light in High / low beam)

Nowadays all cars have moved to separate reflector arrangements for High and low beams - even the Sport variants have it! Why is that Ltd version buyers should get a far poorer light output than even the Sport variant versions! The Sport versions have 1200Lumens Low beam + 1200 Lumens High beam (per headlight).

I strongly feel that the LTD version headlight beam with Halogens is insufficient and we should raise this to FCA collectively for some solution.
Other Compass owners with LTD and Longitude variants also please share your views!

Last edited by Behemoth : 2nd January 2018 at 11:54.
Behemoth is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 12:00   #726
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I strongly feel that the LTD version headlight beam with Halogens is insufficient and we should raise this to FCA collectively for some solution.
Other Compass owners with LTD and Longitude variants also please share your views!
FCA has already responded to this issue which many owners have raised and they are offering upgraded bulbs which we can buy. Not sure of the upgraded bulb type, but they are being offered at around Rs.500 a pair plus labor. I will be getting the same changed once my dealers gets the stock which is expected sometime this week.
h14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 14:00   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Guys,
Even the headlights on the Longitude version (not the option) are not very bright. They come with Philips bulbs (H11 LL) for the low beam and Sylvania bulbs (9005 LL) for the high beam. Just got both of them changed to Philips Extreme vision last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
FCA has already responded to this issue which many owners have raised and they are offering upgraded bulbs which we can buy. Not sure of the upgraded bulb type, but they are being offered at around Rs.500 a pair plus labor. I will be getting the same changed once my dealers gets the stock which is expected sometime this week.
I also came to know, that they would be providing bulbs at Rs.500, but not sure if they are upgraded ones. Do check with them on the labor cost, you will be surprised. I was told, it will be around Rs 1300 + taxes for bulb replacement.
Old 2nd January 2018, 14:46   #728
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishnuk View Post
I also came to know, that they would be providing bulbs at Rs.500, but not sure if they are upgraded ones. Do check with them on the labor cost, you will be surprised. I was told, it will be around Rs 1300 + taxes for bulb replacement.
They are different bulbs for sure and around Rs. 1200 for bulb + labor is what I got to know from the SM.
Old 2nd January 2018, 17:01   #729
BHPian

Just thought I'd mention this here. While on a test drive, I measured the ambient noise in the Compass. It was about 35 db. This is quieter than the XUV, Hexa (slightly) and TUV. Not sure about more premium brands. You can download an app for measuring noise using your smartphone microphone. It is indeed a refined car. The sales representative showed us the ESP use by swerving left and right at 90 kmph on a slightly empty road. It was very scary, but the car made it comfortable. The Compass is the best car to go for if you need a 5 seater SUV. Hexa is the best for 7 seats and a more planted feel at high speeds. I use an app called Noise Meter on google play.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-screenshot_20171221171656.jpg

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 2nd January 2018 at 17:03. Reason: Spelling
Nissan1180 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 17:31   #730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Just thought I'd mention this here. While on a test drive, I measured the ambient noise in the Compass. It was about 35 db. This is quieter than the XUV, Hexa (slightly) and TUV.

Attachment 1712153
Few days back, in a society enclosure, saw both Jeep Compass & Tata Hexa drive by close. Man the difference in noise from their engine is chalk and cheese.

Hexa is very quiet compared to drawl from compass. Looks like Tata needs to reverse its settings.
Vasuki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 10:08   #731
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the wait for the diesel automatic continues. :

http://amp.ibtimes.co.in/jeep-compas...-reason-755654
Old 5th January 2018, 11:35   #732
BHPian

The poor service network seems to be a major concern.. I had been keenly looking forward to buying a compass but the complete unprofessional attitude of landmark worli, Mumbai and poor or non existant customer care of Jeep India has made me drop the idea of buying a Jeep. A company which is acting so pricey, even before purchase of their item.. I shudder to think about their A. S. S.
Old 5th January 2018, 14:44   #733
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have booked Compass diesel limited diesel at Sky Moto Pune and the car has arrived. I went to have a first look at the show room and saw that one of the tire was flat!

This was the first time to see my brand new Jeep but to see it punctured wan't a good sight. The advisor said air must be less and will refill or check if its punctured.

Can I ask to replace the punctured tire and give me a new tire instead? I dont want to take delivery of 22 lacs car which had a tire already punctured.

If there are any Jeep specific checks that need to be done, can you please share the PDI?
Old 5th January 2018, 14:58   #734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickxx2006 View Post
Hi Guys,

I have booked Compass diesel limited diesel at Sky Moto Pune and the car has arrived. I went to have a first look at the show room and saw that one of the tire was flat!

This was the first time to see my brand new Jeep but to see it punctured wan't a good sight. The advisor said air must be less and will refill or check if its punctured.

Can I ask to replace the punctured tire and give me a new tire instead? I dont want to take delivery of 22 lacs car which had a tire already punctured.

If there are any Jeep specific checks that need to be done, can you please share the PDI?
If its indeed a puncture, then you should ask for a replacement tire. Do also check for the spare tire, the dealers are smart, if in case the tire is punctured they might conveniently replace it with the spare.
Providing a new tire is not that easy as most manufacturers couple tire serial numbers with VIN of the car.
Old 5th January 2018, 15:45   #735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickxx2006 View Post

You should ask them for a replacement Tyre if its a puncture, however if its just the valve , you should ask them for a replacement valve. Valve damage is possible if the car was transported on a separate flat bed truck and if the guy who fastened the wheels to the flat bed, bent the valve while trying to lock it.
Am not aware of any specific PDI checklists for the Jeep, apart from the general PDI checklist which is already there on the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Do also check for the spare tire, the dealers are smart, if in case the tire is punctured they might conveniently replace it with the spare.
Its not possible for the dealer to do this swap in the Jeep compass as the spare wheel is R16 & the main wheels on Limited / Longitude variant are R17.

Last edited by Vishnuk : 5th January 2018 at 15:54.
Vishnuk is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks