Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2019, 12:08   #2821
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriks View Post
I purchased a new Nexon XZA+ Diesel last month on the 5th.
Congratulations on the car! Wishing you & your loved ones unlimited safe & happy miles with the Nexon! Welcome to the gang! And welcome to TBHP too.
Quote:
1. The infotainment.
a. My version is dated 2018 and sometimes Android Auto acts strange. First when i used to change the drive mode the car would announce the mode i shifted to. That has stopped now for some reason.
b.If i mute the song playing through android auto i am unable to replay it. Have to switch modes Android Auto -> AM -> FM -> Android Auto and then press play to continue the song.
c. Sometimes after a call on android auto the song doesnt continue again and have to cycle modes again and get it to start.
Latest Infotainment version is 15.20, July 2019. Get it flashed at your service center during 1st service or by just visiting them some time. Takes at the most 20 minutes. That will fix the issues that you have reported.

The problem of switching AM-FM-Android Auto will still remain. Its more to do with Android Auto. Its not able to properly transfer control between phone-call and android Auto. Not exactly an issue with the head unit. You'll get used to it .
Quote:
2. At times when i brake or i move the car on uneven roads (Mumbai and my area has tonnes of that) i hear a dull clunk sound that seems to come from the rear. Feels like some oscillating thing is making the sound. The car has passed 1200km and i need to take it for the first service just need to know what i need to tell because the sound doesnt come regularly
I'm more than certain that its simply the diesel in the tank creating waves and bouncing about. Its heard the most when the fuel is +/- 2 clicks of mid-mark on the fuel gauge.
Quote:
3. My Diesel mileage is coming to around 14.5km/l. This is T2T. My drives are usually smooth, only the first 2km takes me 45mins. Anyone from Shilphata was understand
This is good mileage considering a stretch of 2 kms takes 45 kms.
Quote:
4. Today morning while driving and trying to fit in a gap got my left side slightly scratch near the wheel arch on the door panel. No dents just the paint seems flaked. Is there anything i can do to fix this without burning an additional hole in my pocket (after my car purchase). I've seen people detailing their cars. Can that help and what will the approx cost for that.
Get a bottle of Formula1 Scratch remover rubbing compound. Its available at all car accessory stores and on Amazon also. Rub with a rag from 3 inch above the scratch to 3 inch below the scratch, along the length of it with pressure. It will cover up the scratch. Here is a sample of what I did. I have been using the same bottle since 8 years now.

Link - Amazon.in Formula1 ScratchOut

I have fully covered much deeper scratches as well. Unfortunately have no pictures right now.

Before -
Tata Nexon : Official Review-before.jpg

After -
Tata Nexon : Official Review-after.jpg

Quote:
5. Some how the car feels bouncier than my old first gen Figo. Its not unstable or anything. Steady but the Figo felt more planted on the road.
That's absolutely fine. Nexon is bouncier at low speeds due to its stiff suspension tuning. Your car is no different than any other Nexon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
Got my seat cover done yesterday.
Cost: 16K (Original leather was 42K)
Material: Montana art leather
Steering: Original leather
Colour : Black (I wanted Tan, wife wanted black)
Looks very neat! Nice finish. Was the guy not able to cover the 2 horizontal pieces besides audio/phone control with leather? The black cowl including buttons is removable, see if he can stitch 2 additional pieces to the ring to cover those bits under the black cowl also. Will look even better.

Must be a joy to hold now. Real leather wrapped steering wheels are really wonderful.

Last edited by Reinhard : 4th December 2019 at 12:09.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 12:20   #2822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

Must be a joy to hold now. Real leather wrapped steering wheels are really wonderful.
I got seat covers for my City done earlier this year from the same place. His workmanship is good, but even though I was offered a free steering cover, I declined. Very few, if any, third party installers are able to match up to the fit and finish that comes with OEM leather wrap.

In all the cases that I have seen with third party installers, the steering ends up looking somewhat odd and bulky, and just not with the same finesse levels and tightly wrapped feel that an OEM fit brings.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 12:22   #2823
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
In all the cases that I have seen with third party installers, the steering ends up looking somewhat odd and bulky, and just not with the same finesse levels and tightly wrapped feel that an OEM fit brings.
Exactly the reason I'm driving around with the stock steering. I have my eyes on the Tiago JTP wheel since few days. Not able to source it though. That is a direct fit & its leather wrap is well done.
Old 4th December 2019, 12:22   #2824
BHPian

Quote:

Looks very neat! Nice finish. Was the guy not able to cover the 2 horizontal pieces besides audio/phone control with leather? The black cowl including buttons is removable, see if he can stitch 2 additional pieces to the ring to cover those bits under the black cowl also. Will look even better.

Thanks. For sure the leather steering is nice to hold. I did not add as much bulk I thought it would.
The fit and finish of Imperial is always good. Lot of people on this forum have praised his service.

I never though of covering the horizontal part. Will think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I got seat covers for my City done earlier this year from the same place. His workmanship is good, but even though I was offered a free steering cover, I declined. Very few, if any, third party installers are able to match up to the fit and finish that comes with OEM leather wrap.

That's great. Which colour did you choose and what material?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th December 2019 at 13:09. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use multi-quote option if replying to more than one post at a time.
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 12:33   #2825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly the reason I'm driving around with the stock steering. I have my eyes on the Tiago JTP wheel since few days. Not able to source it though. That is a direct fit & its leather wrap is well done.
Agreed. Some stock steerings are indeed lovely, and the JTP steering is certainly among the best. As are the ones on the Seltos and the current Skoda cars.

Quote:
That's great. Which colour did you choose and what material?

I chose light beige, since that goes well with the interiors of the Honda City. I had also posted a quick review and pictures on the Imperial Leathers thread of the forum In fact, it is the post immediately before yours on that thread, just noticed that you have put a post on that thread as well. Mine was also artificial leather, the real leather was too expensive and didn't see much value in it.

Only issue with beige is that it requires more upkeep than usual, in fact, an interior clean is pending for my seats for some time now - waiting for the rains to stop in Bangalore before I go for a cleaning and polishing of the car.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 4th December 2019 at 12:38.
Old 4th December 2019, 15:18   #2826
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on the car! Wishing you & your loved ones unlimited safe & happy miles with the Nexon! Welcome to the gang! And welcome to TBHP too.
Thanks and to be frank while i was researching it was your posts on the car that helped me alot get confidence in a TATA

Quote:
The problem of switching AM-FM-Android Auto will still remain. Its more to do with Android Auto. Its not able to properly transfer control between phone-call and android Auto. Not exactly an issue with the head unit. You'll get used to it .
Good to know its normal behavior. Felt a slight lag on touch input hope that solved with the update. I remember reading you guys discussing about the time on system keeping on changing. Don't have that issue right now, will updating introduce it

Quote:
I'm more than certain that its simply the diesel in the tank creating waves and bouncing about. Its heard the most when the fuel is +/- 2 clicks of mid-mark on the fuel gauge.
I really don't think so, the sound doesn't really sound like liquid shaking. More like someone put a stone behind somewhere hanging by a thread and its oscillating and hitting. What i meant is that its a solidish sound but very soft.

Quote:
This is good mileage considering a stretch of 2 kms takes 45 kms.
Ya true thats what i felt to. Taking a long drive to alibaug this weekend lets see how that turns out. Infact the DTE increased after my third tankful fillup. First one showed 550km, second 620km and this one showed 650km.

Quote:
Get a bottle of Formula1 Scratch remover rubbing compound.
Will try that out for sure. Was slightly mood off today morning when the scratch happened.

Quote:
That's absolutely fine. Nexon is bouncier at low speeds due to its stiff suspension tuning. Your car is no different than any other Nexon.

Great to know, thanks a lot for your help.

Now need to find a good shop Navi Mumbai side with seat covers with Red and Black combo.
sriks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 15:55   #2827
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks and to be frank while i was researching it was your posts on the car that helped me alot get confidence in a TATA
Now that flattering as well as scary .
Quote:
I really don't think so, the sound doesn't really sound like liquid shaking. More like someone put a stone behind somewhere hanging by a thread and its oscillating and hitting. What i meant is that its a solidish sound but very soft.
This is such a deja vu for me. I had said exactly these lines to a friend 9 years ago. Finally I sat on the parking floor, made him move the car backward & forward 4-5 feet besides me and brake. Eventually found it to be diesel bouncing around the tank. Thanks to good noise insulation, only the first large "bump" gets heard in the cabin. Smaller splashing sounds don't enter. I suggest you do what I did. That might bring peace.
Quote:
Now need to find a good shop Navi Mumbai side with seat covers with Red and Black combo.
I think the typical place tends to be Sector 17 Vashi, near the Grain Merchants' society. All my dear ones get their things done there. Slightly costly (Ah - that's Vashi) but results have generally been good!
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 16:32   #2828
BHPian

Quote:
Now that flattering as well as scary .

This is such a deja vu for me. I had said exactly these lines to a friend 9 years ago. Finally I sat on the parking floor, made him move the car backward & forward 4-5 feet besides me and brake. Eventually found it to be diesel bouncing around the tank. Thanks to good noise insulation, only the first large "bump" gets heard in the cabin. Smaller splashing sounds don't enter. I suggest you do what I did. That might bring peace.

I think the typical place tends to be Sector 17 Vashi, near the Grain Merchants' society. All my dear ones get their things done there. Slightly costly (Ah - that's Vashi) but results have generally been good!

Hehe nothing scary don't worry. TATA should thank you though, converted a Ford customer to a TATA. Car is wonder barring a few niggles and with my dealer'ss workshop being helpful about it (My new car kept getting an EPAS error from the second day, the relay had some loose connection)

Will check out Vashi, cheers

Last edited by Sheel : 4th December 2019 at 16:52. Reason: Please proof read before submitting your post. Thanks.
sriks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 22:16   #2829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racsaxen View Post
Sorry to see the state of the vehicle. This indeed is very bad. I remember there was this security system fitted in my father's Wagon R by Nippon which had impact sensor too. So if someone tried to hit the vehicle hard, it would set off the alarm. It was so crazy that on diwali night I had to manually lock the vehicle as due to fire crackers noise it would set
My father in law's 2007 model Swift has the same kind of alarm but it is a part of the central locking system and I already have the central locking system in place. I need the shock sensing part alone.

I already have a camera set up, but as you rightly said, it will not stop any theft attempts and damages. Ironically,the law enforcement agency wants me to drop the theft part from my complaint since according to them, this was only an " attempt" and if I lodge an FIR they have to investigate. They have started night patrolling in my area after this incident and gave me a CSR copy just to claim the insurance from Royal Sundaram from whom I had taken the insurance.

In the meantime, insurance claim process started and work order has been created by the service center.

Quote:
They sure are available. Not just Nippon, quite a few other brands with louder twin siren hooters also.

The trouble is - the better ones are all coming as a kit together with 4 door central lock actuators. Since his is a top trim, it already has a central lock integrated into BCM. I'm not sure if just the siren can be installed & how if yes.

What his requirement is, is a simple g-sensor/accelerometer coupled as a trigger for a loud siren. Perhaps hooked up simply to the horns. And - it should
You have read my mind correctly and I was searching for such a system online and luckily I came across this in AliExpress.

DIY car alarm system with ACC/Vibration/Trunk/Door trigger alarm functions easy installation 12months warranty NT-C059

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3305...e12e4c4d76xfQk

My friend and myself have ordered the above from Aliexpress and we are waiting for it to be delivered and hope this will solve our biggest headache. Most importantly, hope it does what it says !

For the time being, I am praying that the service center guys take their own sweet time to repair so that the car won't be delivered before the alarm system from Aliexpress is delivered. Otherwise we would be forced to sleep inside our cars.
vijith is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 09:18   #2830
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They removed the original seat cover and installed the new ones.

After driving sometime realised how breathable the fabric seats are, I could not spend 5 min without AC.
Interesting that - removing the original seat covers too. I prefer the original seat covers to be there, and this is the first time I am it being done this way.

Yes, fabric and leather breathe. Art-leather always has this problem.
Old 5th December 2019, 09:48   #2831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Interesting that - removing the original seat covers too. I prefer the original seat covers to be there, and this is the first time I am it being done this way.

Yes, fabric and leather breathe. Art-leather always has this problem.
They said the fit and finish will not be good if it is done on top of original seat cover.

I was tempted to go to genuine leather but the cost is almost 2.5-3x of Art leather
Old 5th December 2019, 10:17   #2832
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They said the fit and finish will not be good if it is done on top of original seat cover.
Have never had issues with that even with covers inside. Only problem I face currently in the Storme is that the increased thickness due to the seat covers interferes in the double fold of the rear seat, at the last part. There is a difference I see in the way my seat folds (90% of design) vs that where there are no additional seat covers. And the jump-seats at the back - the buckles dont engage after the seats are folded ( as seen in my Sumo earlier).
Old 5th December 2019, 12:19   #2833
BHPian

Going through monthly sales report for November, I am surprised Nexon is still able to hold on to it's position behind Brezza and Hyundai Venue. Despite it awaiting the facelift and BS4 engine it has managed to beat newer entrants, Ecosport facelift and XUV300
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 12:22   #2834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
On the contrary, most of the modern installers take off the top cover of the seats completely, and then put on leather seat covers. The idea is to make the leather fit as close as possible to the padding materials of the OEM seat, and ensure that the seat itself does not become over-bulky due to an additional layer of leather on the existing seat's top layer of fabric. In my experience, it makes a substantial difference with the fit being tight and "body hugging" when done this way. As compared to the traditional method of just shoving on the seat cover on the existing seat.

I saw this process being followed back in 2012 when I installed seat covers on my Swift. Same thing this time for my City, in April of this year.
Old 6th December 2019, 14:45   #2835
BHPian

Our new Gray Lady (Glasgow Gray XZA+) came home yesterday!

The first thing I notice is that she's wearing Goodyear shoes... Should I immediately update her to Michelins?

Final decision is with the better half, as she's the boss lady for the 4 wheeler and my department is limited to pedal and IC powered 2 wheelers .

My experience of changing over to Michelins in my old ride was a world of difference...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks