Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2021, 18:29   #3976

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Folks, I need your couplets of wisdom yet again.

I got the car home on 8th April (plan to do a detailed write up as i get to know the car more). It's an XMA Petrol-- which was earlier coming fitted with 215/60 16inch tires on 6'5 steel rims. That's what I saw on the display car of the same variant and also re-confirmed with the sales agent when I booked on 8th of Feb. I am also aware from the Facebook community that someone who took delivery of the same variant as recently as on 24th March also received these bigger tires.

Sadly, my car came with the 195/60 rubber. Felt disappointed because that wasn't what I signed up for. But I have made peace with that.

I foresee the Nexon doing some long gravel road trips this summer, and snow/slush surfaces later in winters using snow chains.

Now the big question taking a lot of my mind space--- do I upgrade from 195/60 to 215/60. I don't prefer frivolous modes of any kind in my cars-- prefer running them on stock equipment unless it's essential. My grand i10 diesel, therefore, got a slightly wider set of tires during the first change-- the stock tires without ABS made braking as if there was an oil spill everywhere. Had to get an ECU remap too, since the car felt underpowered especially with bigger tires and aging diesel powertrain.

Have read some very interesting conversations within this thread on the same topic, please see--
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...eview-109.html (Tata Nexon : Official Review)

And a brilliantly authored piece the physics of tires authored by fellow TeamBHPian--
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ow-better.html (Off-roading Tires, Wide Or Narrow,which Are Better?)

Please do read the above links, very very insightful. Key findings from this and other reading I have down around the same topic is--

-Narrower/taller tires are actually better for surfaces like slush, snow and loose gravel for their agility and less roll friction area

-Upgrading the tires on my Nexon would lead to inaccurate speedometer/trip distance readings. I will may/may not be able to get that recalibrated from TSC.

-I will have to change my existing rims as they won't fit as the existing 6' size can take only up to 205 and 215 is not recommended. Stock rims may not be bought back, and therefore opting for after-market alloys may be the natural inclination-- although I am not a fan of alloys wheels- especially the after-market.

Now for my questions to fellow Nexon owners and all the learned folks for their valuable views:

-Will upgrading tires from 195 to 215 make a noticeable difference in the day-to-day handling, ride comfort of the Nexon. Especially stability on high speeds/highways, noting that Nexon is already equipped with ESP, Traction control which make up quite a lot (I am guessing- haven't experienced them into play yet)

-Since this is a petro automatic weighing 1200 kilos, with just about 170 newton meters, does it make a case for the upgrade. For the Diesel with its 260nm, there is clearly sufficient work for the bigger tires to do-- would that be the case for petrol automatic too? Will there be a significant impact on FE and acceleration for the automatic. For my Grandi10 diesel after the tire upgrade, the efficiency dropped by a KM (from 17 to 16km/l, I am to date not sure whether that is really a drop in efficiency of trip meter error)

-Is it possible for the SC to recalibrate speedometer readings for accuracy, and will it have any impact on the standard/extended warranty?

-Are after-market alloys really advisable. Apart from aesthetics (which is subjective), I understand that aftermarket alloys do more harm than good to the suspension/aerodynamics of the car?

I will be grateful to know more from folks who have been in a similar spot/dilemma before and can therefore be the good shepherd and guide the wandering sheep to light.

Cheers and thanks a lot for your time!
Ujjwal
Ujjwal Bakshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 09:15   #3977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ujjwal Bakshi View Post

-Will upgrading tires from 195 to 215 make a noticeable difference in the day-to-day handling, ride comfort of the Nexon. Especially stability on high speeds/highways, noting that Nexon is already equipped with ESP, Traction control which make up quite a lot (I am guessing- haven't experienced them into play yet)
No. You will be able to run it at a slightly lower pressure of 29-30psi because of the wider footprint which may give you slightly more supple low speed ride. Steering will become a bit heavier. The difference in tyre weight only, excluding rim, between an average 195 and a 215 is almost 2kgs per tyre.

Quote:
-Since this is a petro automatic weighing 1200 kilos, with just about 170 newton meters, does it make a case for the upgrade. For the Diesel with its 260nm, there is clearly sufficient work for the bigger tires to do-- would that be the case for petrol automatic too? Will there be a significant impact on FE and acceleration for the automatic. For my Grandi10 diesel after the tire upgrade, the efficiency dropped by a KM (from 17 to 16km/l, I am to date not sure whether that is really a drop in efficiency of trip meter error)
195 is more than enough for Nexon's petrol or diesel. 215's are not needed even in diesel versions.

Quote:
-Is it possible for the SC to recalibrate speedometer readings for accuracy, and will it have any impact on the standard/extended warranty?
SC can't. They don't have the capability to do so. And it's not required. The vehicle is package protected for accomodating 215 section tyres from design stage as long as you adhere to the rim & tyre specifications. It will not invalidate any warranty. If anyone challenges you, ask them to officially write that on a letterhead saying that inspite of your adhering to the specs of the topmost variants' wheels, warranty will not be honoured and that service guy will chicken out.

Quote:
-Are after-market alloys really advisable. Apart from aesthetics (which is subjective), I understand that aftermarket alloys do more harm than good to the suspension/aerodynamics of the car?
Yes. Provided you adhere to the specifications and invest in a set of good alloys from MOMO, Lenso, Borbet, Plati etc. Wheels India alloys are also good.
Ensure PcD, Offset are within specifications and do invest in a set of good, closed end chrome/vanadium treated wheel bolts, even if you have to spend a bit more.
Don't think that OEM alloys are the best. Hardly. 90% of the time, OEM's source from a cost perspective from vendors who may be Tier - 2 suppliers.

Last edited by arjab : 12th April 2021 at 09:17.
arjab is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 10:48   #3978

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
SC can't. They don't have the capability to do so. And it's not required.
At the outset, a big thanks to you Arjab for your patient reading and clarification! The explanation makes a lot of sense!

Noting your remark about the speedometer recalibration. Will upgrading to 215 not mandate recalibration? since the overall diameter of the tyre will also increase due to the aspect ratio resulting in longer tire walls. I am told it increases the GC by 12mm. 195/60 tires give Nexon a GC of 197 while 215/60 results in a GC of 209, I am told.

I am also taking to the liberty to request for comments from equally well- informed senior BHPians @koushik and @roy_libran, and herewith quoting their previous conversations from the same thread (pg 109, click on the link in previous post to see the past conversation) which I benefitted a lot by reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koushik View Post
I can add one point. The recommended tyre pressure for 215/60R16 is 30 PSI where as for 195/60R16 it is 32 to 34 PSI . The increase in tyre pressure can reduce the gap between GC of both the variants. As for the stability factor 195/60 R 16 is perfect. There is no additional benefit of using 215/60 R16 except it's big look. Simple visual observation can not differentiate between the two types of tyres !
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Yes Sir - As far as Cross overs go. But looking at the nuances, the 195 may have an edge in slush due to narrower track.

But that comes at other costs, as I have pointed out earlier.
@koushik and @roy_libran, Gentlemen, thanks for your lively and greatly valued debate. May I request to please share your insights w.r.t the use case and dilemmas mentioned in my previous post. In anticipation to hear from you about your experience!

Also, look forward to hearing from any fellow BHPian who may have views based on experience.

Cheers everyone!
Ujjwal Bakshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 12:02   #3979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@koushik and @roy_libran, Gentlemen, thanks for your lively and greatly valued debate. May I request to please share your insights w.r.t the use case and dilemmas mentioned in my previous post. In anticipation to hear from you about your experience!
I don't think your use case has significant trail driving involved so you might as well stick to your current wheels. Once you wear these out you'll have a better idea of whether you wish to size up.

Sorry, am unable to type much coz this dreaded disease is making me delirious most of the time.
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 12:26   #3980

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
I don't think your use case has significant trail driving involved so you might as well stick to your current wheels. Once you wear these out you'll have a better idea of whether you wish to size up.

Sorry, am unable to type much coz this dreaded disease is making me delirious most of the time.
Very kind of you to respond despite the illness. I wish you a speedy recovery! Hope you get hail and hearty and hit the road very soon
Old 13th April 2021, 09:44   #3981

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
I did notice the loose plastic in my car as well when I was hunting for the source. I thought that may be the case but when I drove the car keeping the cover aside the noise was still there.
Even in my case the rattle was on and off.. but over the last week it has been rather regular. I do not want to spend time personally at the ASC due to covid risk and don't want to take a leave just for this
Rattling is a problem in Nexon. I am also facing rattling noice from near C pillar or boot door. Been to SC twice and they checked the spoiler, inside boot door, spare wheel and tool kit. Still unable to locate the issue.
Nexon has another interesting feature. You will hear all kind of rattling noice while driving, but as soon as you visit the SC all noices disappear. And it will start after 2 days.
Apratim_Choudhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 10:30   #3982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apratim_Choudhu View Post
Rattling is a problem in Nexon. I am also facing rattling noice from near C pillar or boot door. Been to SC twice and they checked the spoiler, inside boot door, spare wheel and tool kit. Still unable to locate the issue.
Nexon has another interesting feature. You will hear all kind of rattling noice while driving, but as soon as you visit the SC all noices disappear. And it will start after 2 days.
Hahaha twice I had to turn from out of the SC gate as the rattling stopped when approaching them.

For me it is on and off. More on than off lately. I have to open the c pillar myself or in their presence as a last resort.

I had this rattle from the first 6 months and it's part of my life. Apart from this the car is fab

Last edited by aniyo : 13th April 2021 at 10:32.
Old 16th April 2021, 12:28   #3983
BHPian

Glad to inform about my Nexon allotment today after 16 weeks of waiting.
Nexon XZ white (P) was booked on 27th Dec.
Followed up with SA every week since Feb on the progress and priority. No responses for the escalation mails but yes, reasonable updates and callbacks resulted from Twitter posts.
Hope this helps potential buyers and people waiting for the car allotment.
Thanks for the forum, especially Reinhard and Varun_G for the support. Told the dealer that payment will be done subject to PDI. Will use the forum's checklist.

Will keep updating about the progress and also on any changes to the features.
nadigar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 01:52   #3984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donzerus View Post
I went ahead and booked XZ+(S) Diesel Calgary White today by paying Rs.21,000 as booking amount at Lakshmi Tata, Chennai. Dealer has promised delivery within 4 weeks.
The SA called and told me that a March 2021 diesel Nexon has arrived at their yard and that he's ready to take me to the yard if I'm ready to do a down payment.

I headed over to the dealership with my cheque book, did the down payment and then drove to their yard to do the PDI. He was also kind enough to let me drive their diesel TD Nexon to/from their yard which is ~30 kms from their showroom.

Confirmed that the vehicle was indeed manufactured in March 2021, did some checks, everything looked ok, the odo read 21 kms, had Goodyear Excellence tyres all around manufactured in 3rd/4th week of March.

If all goes well, the car should be home by the end of next week.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-1index.jpg

Tata Nexon : Official Review-2index.jpg

Tata Nexon : Official Review-3index.jpg

Tata Nexon : Official Review-4index.jpg
donzerus is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 09:01   #3985

@nadigar, Congratulations on the allotment. Where have you booked your Nexon from?
MarverickAni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 12:00   #3986
BHPian

Glad to inform that I have booked Nexon(P) XZA+(S) Calgary White.
Paid 21,000 as booking amount.
Waiting period as per the dealer is 13 to 14 Weeks.
sunilkm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 18:36   #3987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarverickAni View Post
@nadigar, Congratulations on the allotment. Where have you booked your Nexon from?
Thanks. Booked from Key Motors, Kanakapura Road, Bangalore.
nadigar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 10:13   #3988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donzerus View Post

Confirmed that the vehicle was indeed manufactured in March 2021, did some checks, everything looked ok, the odo read 21 kms, had Goodyear Excellence tyres all around manufactured in 3rd/4th week of March.
Hey,

Congrats on your new car.
Just curious, does your car have the physical ICE buttons or does it have only the Nexon branding?
Old 19th April 2021, 12:45   #3989

My Flubber is in for the first service. The service people are clue less when I sai that the infotainment version is old, I had to share with them YouTube videos regarding the update to say that there is a new version!!

Now my question is about the LCU/TCU/ECU version..how to make sure that they are getting the latest version of software, the service advisor said that they already have latest version
Old 19th April 2021, 13:41   #3990

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjallipalli View Post
Now my question is about the LCU/TCU/ECU version..how to make sure that they are getting the latest version of software, the service advisor said that they already have latest version
From what I gathered from my SA at Derik Motors, Trivandrum, any software updates, be it TCU, LCU, ECU etc., will be available on a particular page when they input vehicle details into their application. However, I'm unable to corroborate this information.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks