Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2021, 13:28   #796
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Spent some time with my brother's Harrier dark MT XZ today.

My views on the car:

Note
As an owner of 2018 Safari Storme Varicor 400, my views about harrier are in comparison to my SUV.

1. Looks - Gorgeous & menacing at the same time. Dark edition is badass! Has amazing road presence too

2. Doors though light, shut with a nice thud

3. Interior layout is very nice, infact better than the wooden colour trim on the other editions of harrier. It resembles my Storme's black n grey theme

4. Car like seating position and dynamics. Will be a lot nicer to throw around corners at speeds

5. The MID when I saw through pics were not impressive. But in person, it actually looks quite nice.

6. Seats & Space

7. Features, yes, for a barebones storme owner, it did stand out

8. Fuel efficiency - the car consistently showed 15+ kmpl on instant fuel efficiency in the MID inside the city. It might give 16-18 kmpl on the highways with a light foot

9. Music system was really impressive

10. A tata car which has the wipers hidden. Such a nice view to not see them jutting out like a sore thumb.

Dislikes

1. The dash plastics could have been soft touch. The Hexa and even the plastics on top of the dash in last gen Storme had softer plastics

2. Stiff low speed ride - at speeds <20 kmph the car throws in every bump and undulation. I wouldn't feel a thing in my storme on the same road. I suspected high tyre pressure and checked them at the fuel pump, only to find 32 psi on all wheels, which is recommended (33psi by Tata). But once above 20kmph, it flattens out nicely.

3. The engine though refined at lower rpms, gets vocal beyond 2500 rpm. The Varicor 400 in comparison is more refined.

4. Same with the low end torque. Varicor 400 has better drivability. Though the harrier lags by 50Nm in comparison, I believed the 350 kg weight advantage over storme would be felt, but it wasn't felt. Might also be due to the fact that I didn't engage sports mode. Drove in city mode and didn't get aggressive as the car had just 200 km on the clock.

5. The driving instructions on MID gets irritating to the old school purist in me

6. Driver's (or say front common) armrest could have been longer. Being used to individual armrests in storme, the harrier's armrest felt like it wouldn't be of much use to shorter drivers. I didn't check out if it's adjustable though.

7. That stupid parking brake can injure your fingers if carelessly used. Why Tata? Why? It robs of space to keep knick knacks

8. I did miss that driving position and view storme provides. Agreed not many cars give that seating position.

9. That chrome line over the windows till the rear is ugly on an all black car

10. Pathetic weak horn. Definitely needs an upgrade

11. Rear cam clarity is laughable

Overall very happy with the purchase. A good step up in space and power over our rapid 1.6 tdi. We definitely would miss throwing the rapid around corners at silly speeds. Harrier though better than Storme, can never come close to that Czech beauty in handling.

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-img_20210327_072935636.jpg

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-img_20210327_074745898.jpg
Nice view of the road from driver's seat, but can't compare with the OG Safaris

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-img_20210327_072358347_hdr.jpg

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-img_20210327_073559711_hdr2.jpg

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-img_20210327_074837753_hdr.jpg

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-img_20210327_074711302_hdr.jpg

With the Storme

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-img_20210327_073926709_hdr.jpg

Nice interior color scheme, somewhat similar to my storme's

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-img_20210327_072333569.jpg

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-img_20210214_1638097252.jpg

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 27th March 2021 at 13:37.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 09:19   #797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Spent some time with my brother's Harrier dark MT XZ today.

My views on the car:

Note
As an owner of 2018 Safari Storme Varicor 400, my views about harrier are in comparison to my SUV.
Many many congrats Prasanna. One more Tata in your stable. Avid reader of your posts here.
Harrier has following active safety features
1.Anti-Lock Braking System
2 Electronic Brake Force Distribution
3 Corner Stability Control
4 OFF road ABS
5 Electronic Traction Control
6 Electronic Stability Control
7 Hill Hold Control)
8. Hill Descent Control
9. Roll Over Mitigation
10. Brake Disc Wiping
11. Electronic Brake Pre-fill
12. Hydraulic Brake Assist
13. Hydraulic Fading Compensation
14. DynamicWheelTorquebyBrake

Hope people will also taken in to account this features while comparing with the competition
greyhound82 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 09:29   #798
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
Many many congrats Prasanna. One more Tata in your stable. Avid reader of your posts here.
Harrier has following active safety features
1.Anti-Lock Braking System
2 Electronic Brake Force Distribution
3 Corner Stability Control
4 OFF road ABS
5 Electronic Traction Control
6 Electronic Stability Control
7 Hill Hold Control)
8. Hill Descent Control
9. Roll Over Mitigation
10. Brake Disc Wiping
11. Electronic Brake Pre-fill
12. Hydraulic Brake Assist
13. Hydraulic Fading Compensation
14. DynamicWheelTorquebyBrake

Hope people will also taken in to account this features while comparing with the competition

Thank you!

I must also add

15. 6 airbags

to the list

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 28th March 2021 at 09:30.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 16:02   #799
BHPian

I can provide my opinion on Harrier based on my friend's ownership, my test drive and online research while searching for a 2nd car in the family.

1. Don't even think of MT. The ergonomics are horrible when it comes to seating position
2. AT provides a much better drive experience
3. Engine pull is good. Low-end torque isn't that great especially compared to Innova Crysta but it's not bad either. Could have felt better if it was a bit lighter.
4. Steering is very average and not tuned properly for a vehicle of that size. Plus I found it ugly. But you will get used to it.
5. It's damn spacious. Seats look nice and are comfortable
6. Suspension and build quality are good. Can go over bad roads pretty easily
7. Infotainment is pathetic. Display and ease of use are horrible. I still find people complaining of niggles
8. My friend's harrier keeps flashing Engine malfunction lights every now and then. Drive modes and few other electronics get disabled. The car doesn't stop but he needs to take it to the service centre to reset it. He has met other owners in the service centre with similar issues and I have found some similar experiences online. Not sure why Tata hasn't provided any fix for this
9. MT clutch plate burning has been faced by many users, sometimes even under 500 kms of ownership. There seems to be a design flaw. You have to be very careful with driving in city traffic.
10. Service centre experience depends on your luck. It's mostly below average
11. Every 6-month visit to service interval for a brand with poor service experience

Regarding XUV500, my uncle sold his new XUV AT in under a year due to gearbox issues and pathetic resolution by the service centre and Mahindra. And based on online reviews of Mahindra vehicle ownership, I decided to stay away from Mahindra, so can't provide any comparison.

Last edited by Technic90 : 30th March 2021 at 16:09.
Old 31st March 2021, 08:45   #800
BHPian

Hi All,

I'm taking plunge on harrier XZA+ dark edition. However it concerns me when so many users specially in facebook raising alarms about dead battery and engine malfunction on their harrier. Is it really bad. in team bhp i do not see the complaints, however more reported in facebook group.

Please let me know if this is a point of concern. If yes, has tata provided any concrete evidence on the issue and resolution.
Old 31st March 2021, 09:04   #801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofdayz View Post
Hi All,

I'm taking plunge on harrier XZA+ dark edition. However it concerns me when so many users specially in facebook raising alarms about dead battery and engine malfunction on their harrier
Mine is 2020 August Manufactured, 13K kms driven Harrier XZA+. I didn't face any battery or engine malfunction issues so far and also extremely happy with drive comfort, dynamics and well mated automatic. No idea if the above issue is with recently manufactured ones , but I will say its better to get this clarified before plunging your hard earned money . Tata is not Maruti or Toyota in after sales and reliability.

If you want complete peace of mind , stick to Toyota
greyhound82 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 09:12   #802
BHPian

hi Greyhound,

Im not a big fan of toyota. my previous cars were ford ikon, maruti swift and hyundai verna.

Ikon was there for short stint. However in long run Maruti has given lot of troubles where service cost were north of 13k. Want to move away from Maruti and Hyundai. Want to try different manufacturer. became a fan of Hexa when it was launched and now harrier.

Will check for few more reviews before deciding. Thanks for your words.
Old 31st March 2021, 10:11   #803

Quote:
Hi All,

I'm taking plunge on harrier XZA+ dark edition. However it concerns me when so many users specially in facebook raising alarms about dead battery and engine malfunction on their harrier. Is it really bad. in team bhp i do not see the complaints, however more reported in facebook group.

Please let me know if this is a point of concern. If yes, has tata provided any concrete evidence on the issue and resolution.
Hi. Mine is a XZA+ December last week 2020 Harrier. Completed 7.5K kms till now. No complaints on battery, engine or any fundamental mechanical components. Windshield washer fluid-spray motor was malfunctioning and repaired in service. Other than this very happy driving it. Family is happy with the space and comfort. My friend has a MT BS4 Harrier over 20K kms over 1.5 years of ownership. We are spirited drivers and push our cars. No fundamental issues on the bs4 harrier as well. Will try to write a detailed ownership review covering the subtle things.
nkaru is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 10:19   #804
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Hi, I own Harrier XZA+ Dark edition (October 2020 manufactured) and driven around 5000 Km. Till now, I do not faced any serious issue. The glowing of MIL (Malfunction Indication Lamp) can be due to many reasons and sometimes may not be very serious. I experienced a glowing of MIL once due to simultaneous pressing of accelerator and brake pedal in city traffic [https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4922059 (2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review)]. This light as name suggest is Malfunction Indication Lamp and not always related to only engine fault as it can be related to emission levels also (which happened in my case).

Another small issue faced with my Harrier was the non-working of the central locking system. The cause for this was a faulty relay switch which was replaced at a service centre. Apart from these issues, I never faced any serious problem with my Harrier. Battery draining can be isolated cases due to faulty wiring or battery itself.

Last edited by KSingh : 31st March 2021 at 10:45.
KSingh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 12:32   #805

Mine is XZA+ February 2021 and so far there is no such issues

Here is my detailed review on XZA+ DT after 500kms of driving

Its a really good car and I am happy with my decision. Its a big car and you can feel it when driving and the view from the seat is really good.

People still look at the car with awe and that is a compliment to its road presence and design.

There was feedback about tightness when parking at low speed etc but I didn't feel anything like that. In fact I am surprised by its good turning radius.

The hand-rest is a bummer and we need to get used to it.

The auto is very smooth and a pleasure to drive. I am driving mostly in Eco mode and I see that the mileage is slowly increasing from 9.9 when I got it and now its showing 11. So I think it will pull up to 12 kmpl and that should be ok in city drive.

My friend who own a SUV 500 took it for a drive and we went till 110 and we didn't feel it at all. He was saying that in his SUV there is vibration once he gets past 80 and so that was a good compliment to hear.

another point I noticed was that the engine sound is very low when I compare to other diesel cars. My dad's Fiat Punto makes more sound than my Harrier.

The MID is really good especially in blue (much better than what you see in the review videos etc).

Some niggles I have faced are:

1. Sometimes when you put in Park and try to close the car it will give the warning horn and so you need to put it properly to P to get it done.

2. the left leg gets bit stuck with the gear knob area. I am 6.1 and so I need to pull the seat back to avoid that.

3. Cleaning the car on the top is a task as you need to climb on the tyre

I am taking it for a long drive this weekend and hope to give a detailed review after that

Till then!

Need some help with connecting iPhone via Apple carplay to Harrier MID

All the videos I see show that you need to connect the phone via cable to get it synced with car play. But I read that it can be done through Blue tooth.

I tried doing that by enabling BT in my phone and then pressing the Voice control button in my steering wheel but Connectnext is not showing and I am not able to proceed.

Otherwise My BT is pairing with the MID and I can make calls etc.

Has anyone tried the Carplay with BT and can you help me on this?

Last edited by vb-saan : 31st March 2021 at 13:29. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged; please use edit/multi-quote options when posting back-to-back. Thanks!
alextekno is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 17:13   #806
BHPian

I bought XZA in early November 2020 and the odometer is at 6200 now. So far, no issues what so ever. Went for a couple of long drives, experienced both sedated as well as spirited driving in the ghat section as well as on the highways, and the drive was fantastic. I had shared a slightly lengthy review when I had reached 3000kms. Use the city mode as default, and the sport mode is really handy for some quick overtaking. First service experience was also good, except for a shoddy washing by the service centre.
rsanthosh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 17:30   #807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextekno View Post
Need some help with connecting iPhone via Apple carplay to Harrier MID

All the videos I see show that you need to connect the phone via cable to get it synced with car play. But I read that it can be done through Blue tooth.
For now Harrier does not provide any h/w support for wireless CarPlay or Android Auto. So you cannot connect wirelessly. There are some adapters available in amazon for both CarPlay and Android Auto, but these seem to have not great reviews.
AmitRavi07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 22:24   #808

Hi Amitravi07,

I tried connecting my iphone using the cable and still Carplay is not working. The phone is getting charged and so that means the cable is working

I went to settings/Carplay and it is still not identifying Connectnext. Do you know what could be wrong?
Old 1st April 2021, 09:19   #809
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Amitravi07,

I tried connecting my iphone using the cable and still Carplay is not working. The phone is getting charged and so that means the cable is working

I went to settings/Carplay and it is still not identifying Connectnext. Do you know what could be wrong?
Can you please let me know which USB port you had connected ?

In my Harrier it is the one in dashboard and the newest models I heard its under the armrest storage
Old 1st April 2021, 10:48   #810
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Amitravi07,

You probably know this, but adding for general awareness. The cables can be charge-only or data cable. You need data cable for Carplay to work properly. Here is a quick guide to check cable type.

https://www.dignited.com/50330/usb-d...harging-cable/
NoLurkerForLong is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks