Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2023, 19:35   #1501
BHPian

Re: Nissan Magnite Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytorciar View Post
I have not noticed any jerks on the car moving from stationary, OR, if there were, i have ignored.
Congratulations on the new car!
That's the beauty of the CVT gearboxes - they're usually super smooth in operation by nature.

Quote:
Being older and slower, I do move from P->N->D. I find the D placement a little counter-intuitive as I have to move the rod bckwards towards me for the car to go forward. Must be some very good reason for this.
That's a convention used in most automatic gearbox shifters. Among other things, it aims to reduce user error by making them "think" and make the shift intentional. Here's an interesting read on it: https://www.gearpatrol.com/cars/a733...er-go-p-r-n-d/

Quote:
5. Have not used the sports mode, except once on a short highway run. I don't know when and where it will be useful and desireable.

**6. Random question: Should one use sports mode along with cruise control while driving on highways? (b) is sports mode useful/better for hill driving? I do hope that the car will be able to take on the heights of the northern hill stations without a problem. Any tips on safe hill driving the CVT are most welcome.**
The Sports mode will be useful when you feel you need more power like when overtaking in highways or climbing steep slopes in the hills.
Using Sports mode with cruise control is a bit counterintuitive, don't you think? You'll get better fuel efficiency in the D mode. However, you'll have to consult the Magnite user manual or experiment by yourself to see if it indeed works!

Most automatics will work fine in the hills in D mode. However, to reduce the dependency on the brakes and prevent brake fade, use the L mode on steep mountain roads where you need engine braking.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th July 2023 at 12:27. Reason: Minor spacing
KryptonMonkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 18:09   #1502
BHPian

Hi all!

I've booked a Nissan Magnite XV Permium Turbo CVT (white) yesterday (13lakhs OTR Hyderabad). Despite many warnings and admonishments from my relative to not invest in Nissan Brand. I really liked the product (Safety, performance, practicality, features and space) and decided to take the gamble. I hope it doesn't have any spare parts availability issues. The dealer (Lakshmi Nissan) is very close to where I stay and hence decided to go ahead. Hope I don't see any issues with ownership post purchase!
vamsi.vadrevu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 18:23   #1503
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.vadrevu View Post
Hi all!

I've booked a Nissan Magnite XV Permium Turbo CVT (white) yesterday (13lakhs OTR Hyderabad). Despite many warnings and admonishments from my relative to not invest in Nissan Brand. I really liked the product (Safety, performance, practicality, features and space) and decided to take the gamble. I hope it doesn't have any spare parts availability issues. The dealer (Lakshmi Nissan) is very close to where I stay and hence decided to go ahead. Hope I don't see any issues with ownership post purchase!
It really is a gamble and hope it pays off, Nissan is struggling in India, but being an alliance product, with multiple parts shared with Renault, parts availability for those won't be an issue as long as the Alliance remains in India, however parts which are distinct for the Magnite may become scarce once the company exits India, if it exits India. The warnings and admonishments are warranted and I don't blame them, but as a product, the Magnite is VFM. and hopefully, you get a hassle-free ownership experience.
Do ensure that you do a thorough PDI and you are good to go!

Last edited by bijims : 30th May 2023 at 18:23. Reason: Removed unnecessary spacing
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 15:56   #1504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmission View Post
Any info on these matters would be most appreciated - as well as any links/pointers to lighting upgrades on the LED-projector variants of the Magnite.
Enjoying my Nissan Magnite CVT turbo. Already crossed 10K.

I am looking for a comprehencive post regarding upgrading stock speakers. EVen though the speakers are from infinity, they are not really very high quality and definitely not at audiophile level. I request someone to create a detailed post on how to change stock speakers.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th July 2023 at 12:26. Reason: Minor spacing
dilsoft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 18:23   #1505
BHPian

Hi all,

I can't seem to find useful information on the internet on how to properly decode the VIN. I booked a magnite 2 weeks ago and the dealership sent me the VIN. Can someone help me understand which month this has been manufactured in.

MDHFBADD0P5095774
Old 11th June 2023, 09:03   #1506
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

I can't seem to find useful information on the internet on how to properly decode the VIN. I booked a magnite 2 weeks ago and the dealership sent me the VIN. Can someone help me understand which month this has been manufactured in.

MDHFBADD0P5095774
Ah! Never mind. I found the fantastic post by fellow bhpian wildon about how to decode vin numbers by manufacturer. It's manufactured in 2023 May.
Old 17th June 2023, 08:55   #1507
BHPian

Hi folks,

I got the delivery of my Nissan Magnite on 13th. I've so far driven about 200 km. I've observed that the engine temperature is always just 1 dot shy of the maximum reading. Is this something to be concerned about? Can someone shed some light on what the temperature shows in the temperature gauge after 10 minutes of driving.

I also observed that the steering wheel gets to the center more eagerly when the car is moving and doesn't center at all when stationary. Is this behavior normal. (It feels like Nissan engineers wrote an if-else block of "If speed = 0, increase power steering assist to maximum" for the ECU.
Old 17th June 2023, 10:39   #1508

thanks for the information. just what i wanted. ***
Old 17th June 2023, 10:43   #1509

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptonMonkey View Post
Congratulations on the new car!
That's the beauty of the CVT gearboxes - they're usually super smooth in operation by nature.

>> Indeed this is a delight to use, especially in Delhi NCR traffic. I am really enjoying it.

That's a convention used in most automatic gearbox shifters. Among other things, it aims to reduce user error by making them "think" and make the shift intentional. Here's an interesting read on it: https://www.gearpatrol.com/cars/a733...er-go-p-r-n-d/

The Sports mode will be useful when you feel you need more power like when overtaking in highways or climbing steep slopes in the hills.
Using Sports mode with cruise control is a bit counterintuitive, don't you think? You'll get better fuel efficiency in the D mode. However, you'll have to consult the Magnite user manual or experiment by yourself to see if it indeed works!
Most automatics will work fine in the hills in D mode. However, to reduce the dependency on the brakes and prevent brake fade, use the L mode on steep mountain roads where you need engine braking.
>> Thanks a lot for your information. Just what i wanted. Will post back again on the hill drive experience, once accomplished.
Old 22nd June 2023, 23:18   #1510
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you!
I'm away from the car for a few days, will try this out when I can and report back.

There doesn't seem to be any connection with the speed of gear change from P to D : slow P -> R -> N -> D produces the slight jerk at the release of brake at D the same frequency as a quick shift from P -> D (via R, N) followed by a release of the brake.

As before, the slight jerk when beginning to move from a standstill after a gear change into D isn't there all the time - only sometimes. If anything releasing the brake slowly seems to cause it more frequently than releasing the brake suddenly.

Last edited by Transmission : 22nd June 2023 at 23:46.
Old 22nd June 2023, 23:40   #1511
BHPian

Quote:

5. Have not used the sports mode, except once on a short highway run. I don't know when and where it will be useful and desireable.

**6. Random question: Should one use sports mode along with cruise control while driving on highways? (b) is sports mode useful/better for hill driving? I do hope that the car will be able to take on the heights of the northern hill stations without a problem. Any tips on safe hill driving the CVT are most welcome.**
Sports mode in different cars means different things so unfortunately there isn't a one-size-fits-all answer for this question. But since the car we have here is the Magnite we know what its sports mode does: it simply holds the rpms high-ish (about 2000+ rpm) even when not needed. What this means is:

1. Fuel consumption mostly goes up (lesser mileage)

2. Better responsiveness from previously low-rpm situations since the car is always in the meat of the engine's powerband

That second point is perhaps the most important. For example, if you are not in the sports mode right behind a slow moving truck then when you want to overtake it and press the accelerator, the engine has to spin up to the higher-rpm range (1800+rpm) to make all of its torque/power available - this is normal.

But if you use the sports mode just (maybe 1-2 seconds) before pressing the accelerator, then the engine rpms rise to ~2000 before you press the accelerator and now the car responds quicker - since the engine is already in the rpm range where it produces most torque/power.

I use it almost exclusively for this purpose when stuck behind slow traffic - since I like to spend the least amount of time side by side with another vehicle for safety reasons. It certainly makes a noticeable difference to the responsiveness of the car from low rpm (ie low speed) situations and I was quite pleased by it in a recent ghat drive.

Also, while sports mode is nice for quicker overtakes (especially in the ghats), you dont really need it for general hill-climbing. I had to climb a couple of ridiculously graded (meaning very steep) climbs from very slow speed/standstill in a recent visit to a hill station (Madikeri) and I missed a turn and had to reroute through some narrow and steep uphill concrete roads - and I never even needed to press the accelerator all that much to get moving or maintain the climb with one other passenger in the car. These cars are all powerful enough for such stuff

Quote:
Hi folks,

I got the delivery of my Nissan Magnite on 13th. I've so far driven about 200 km. I've observed that the engine temperature is always just 1 dot shy of the maximum reading. Is this something to be concerned about? Can someone shed some light on what the temperature shows in the temperature gauge after 10 minutes of driving.
If I read your question properly I think you are saying that you see 5 bars in the temperature gauge? If yes, thats normal (the user manual goes into more details about this)

Quote:
I also observed that the steering wheel gets to the center more eagerly when the car is moving and doesn't center at all when stationary. Is this behavior normal. (It feels like Nissan engineers wrote an if-else block of "If speed = 0, increase power steering assist to maximum" for the ECU.
This is also normal.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th July 2023 at 12:26. Reason: Minor spacing
Transmission is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 19:09   #1512

I have noticed few things which appear odd and concerning with my Magnite cvt xv turbo(travelled ~3k). Could you guys let me know if you are seeing the same?

1. Idle rpm is ~1000, with AC turned off. I believe it should be low? 800? What idle rpm are you seeing?

2. Jerky behavior when braking, even at low speeds. I don't do any sudden brakes, am very gentle. Still, sometimes, at the very end, the car is applying a sudden brake by itself, which results in quickly and abruptly stopping the car and a forward jerk. This is very discomforting for the people inside car and the driver has to be extra careful with applying the brake. I think this could be due to ABS, but it’s odd that it happens even during slow speeds.

3. FE in Bumper to bumper traffic is very low. Odometer shows 5/6. Its kinda fine if I go to higher speeds though. Odometer shows ~12 at higher speeds. Could high idle rpm(#1) be the cause for this?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th July 2023 at 12:27. Reason: Minor spacing
NagarjunaB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 09:55   #1513
BHPian

Hey there. Congratulations on your new Magnite! Let me share with you first off, I have driven my Magnite Turbo XV MT for 15,000+ km now and it has always been a 'Love-Hate' relationship.

It is very normal for the temperature reading to be high. It is always mostly one or two shy of High. It does reduce if you start gently cruising on the highway.

The steering does feel weird (I know this is not a technical term) at times. It's not the car's strongest suit. But you will get used to it after a while Enjoy driving!
rishil.ghurki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 10:16   #1514
BHPian

Hey there. For reference, I have a Magnite Turbo XV MT, driven 15,000+ km.

1. My idle RPM is 800 to 850, but it is always below 1000 RPM. I'm not an expert about engines in general, but you might want to get this checked just to be on the safer side.

2. Here are two observations about the braking: (a) jerky and grinding effect up to 1km after an overnight or long park and (b) the sudden jerky effect you're experiencing is probably due to the Brake Assist feature activating even at low speeds. I evade this by adjusting with the clutch and engine braking, with my MT.

3. I too had single digit avg. FE figures at the beginning in bumper-to-bumper traffic. 7-8 was normal with the MT (for reference: I do not ride the clutch, I live in Bengaluru and AC is always ON). It was only post 4000km for me, that both the powertrain started to mature and so did my driving skills. Now, post 10,000 km I see 9-11 kmpl in bumper-to-bumper traffic, 11-13 kmpl in normal traffic and 15-16 kmpl in non-traffic city driving (however occasional in BLR )

The beauty of turbo petrols is how versatile they can be. On several occasions, I have been astonished at the FE figures. But what I've concluded is that, beyond a certain point, it all comes down to how you drive and shift. Hope this helps.
rishil.ghurki is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 11:02   #1515

Quote:
Sports mode in different cars means different things so unfortunately there isn't a one-size-fits-all answer for this question. But since the car we have here is the Magnite we know what its sports mode does: it simply holds the rpms high-ish (about 2000+ rpm) even when not needed. What this means is:
1. Fuel consumption mostly goes up (lesser mileage)
2. Better responsiveness from previously low-rpm situations since the car is always in the meat of the engine's powerband

That second point is perhaps the most important. For example, if you are not in the sports mode right behind a slow moving truck then when you want to overtake it and press the accelerator, the engine has to spin up to the higher-rpm range (1800+rpm) to make all of its torque/power available - this is normal.

But if you use the sports mode just (maybe 1-2 seconds) before pressing the accelerator, then the engine rpms rise to ~2000 before you press the accelerator and now the car responds quicker - since the engine is already in the rpm range where it produces most torque/power.

I use it almost exclusively for this purpose when stuck behind slow traffic - since I like to spend the least amount of time side by side with another vehicle for safety reasons. It certainly makes a noticeable difference to the responsiveness of the car from low rpm (ie low speed) situations and I was quite pleased by it in a recent ghat drive.

Also, while sports mode is nice for quicker overtakes (especially in the ghats), you dont really need it for general hill-climbing. I had to climb a couple of ridiculously graded (meaning very steep) climbs from very slow speed/standstill in a recent visit to a hill station (Madikeri) and I missed a turn and had to reroute through some narrow and steep uphill concrete roads - and I never even needed to press the accelerator all that much to get moving or maintain the climb with one other passenger in the car. These cars are all powerful enough for such stuff

If I read your question properly I think you are saying that you see 5 bars in the temperature gauge? If yes, thats normal (the user manual goes into more details about this)

This is also normal.
Thanks a lot for this detailed information. certainly cleared most of my doubts. It is always good to listen and learn from experience.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks