Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2022, 14:06   #1396
BHPian

Re: Nissan Magnite Review

In my case, except the HU and DRLs that failed, the rest of the issues are all mechanical and poor training of the staff at the dealership.

How is not actually checking the suspension for 5 months and keeping the car parked at the dealership an electronics issue ? They kept telling me there's nothing wrong with the suspension and they had opened and checked. Suddenly after 4 odd months they finally told me shocker is not working. They had to open the suspension again after replacing the shocker because I refused to take delivery as the noise wasn't gone. This time they found struts and some other parts damaged and replaced on paid basis. Even now 10-20% of the original noise is still there. Five months have passed and car was with the dealer for ~4 months out of 5.

Forgetting to order parts multiple times, keeping the car for a month for a job with eta of 2-3 days, not painting properly( according to the Nippon expert who came he had trained the staff on preparing the red paint back in 2021 as this paint is a mix of red and candy white but they didn't prepare the paint properly. In his words "maal kam hai" on top part of my bonnet. He also pointed out some other issues with paint that I as a layman hadn't even noticed ). On multiple occassions the dealership even forgot the car is parked with them !

Worst is complete lack of contact by Nissan employees till a few weeks back. I sent a mass email this weekend to every person I could think of by guessing email addresses and that seems to be the reason things are progressing now.

If it was a maruti car I am sure things would have been resolved in 2 weeks instead of the ~10 months that have passed since feb when I first reported the suspension noise and HU / DRL / bonnet paint etc. Nissan India is a poor joke being played on unsuspecting and trusting customers
akg7091 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 18:50   #1397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akg7091 View Post
In my case, except the HU and DRLs that failed, the rest of the issues are all mechanical and poor training of the staff at the dealership.
Have you tried replacing the control arms and suspension mount?
These are not that expensive parts which might help with getting rid of the noise you are experiencing.
I know a little bit about this because recently my creta's front suspension (both struts) were found to be leaking during service and post replacement I'am noticing some rattling and khat khat noise (noise is not that much, lets say intensity and bothersome scale of 10 out of 100), this was not there before the replacement even with leaking struts there were zero issues, so even I'am trying to solve this.

Other than that without doubt Nissan has massively failed you and if dealership is offering 8 lakhs, you might be able to get 9-9.5 lakhs from the outside, I suggest you get rid of this once and for all, the amount you'll get is not that bad considering all the extreme frustration it is causing you as is clear from your posts, doesn't seem worth the effort.
Rocketscience is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 19:18   #1398
BHPian

Visited the bodyshop. The car looked STUNNING. The expert from Nippon told me that the previous paint job was horrible to say the least and listed so many issues with the same that I can't even recall all of them. Something called dft ( paint thickness ) was only 20 while it should be 50-60+. Along with that the paint wasn't mixed as per the process sheet provided by Nippon. The problem was that the painter who was trained by him last year quit few months back and the new guys had no training - they were cleaning the dust off the cars to be painted inside the clean room

The suspension noise / wheel alignment will be checked in the next 2 days.
Thank you @rocketscience. I have little to no knowledge of suspension components and will pass on this feedback to the dealership to check and replace on paid basis if found faulty ( no point wasting more time over warranty )

I was also told that the email I sent on the weekend to the Nissan top management ( first email in 10 months ! ) has ruffled some feathers even though I have not got any call from anybody at Nissan. Also, the senior leadership at Nissan is now aware of the ongoing feedback / documentation / status updates I am sharing on this thread. Hopefully they will use my experience and feedback to improve processes at the service centers nationwide.

PS : If anybody has a red magnite and it needs to be repainted - please ensure you tell the workshop to follow the written process shared by Nippon which has the exact measurements of base, color and candy white to be mixed along with the 10 odd gun parameters and distance / stroke to be used. This is a complicated color and I was told that there was a special training provided to all dealers pan India just for this color itself.
akg7091 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 19:33   #1399
BHPian

Quote:
Quick update :

1 ) Factory painted panels are NOT available despite what I was told yesterday
2 ) Dealership is getting panels painted in "base" color from Nissan - they will then get a qualified painter from "Nippon" to come and oversee the paint process and have asked me to come and watch the same.
Interesting. We recently got rear ended in our Hector Plus and it was bad enough that the bumper had to be replaced entirely. MG seems to have a system which sounds similar but seems much better thought through and executed. In Bangalore they have 3 service centres, 2 of which have body shops - Electronic City and Yelahanka. Parts come from MG to the outlets in a standard colour - grey or black or some such and they are then painted to match the particular car. The two body shops have paint booths and obviously the colours are standard so it’s easy. I took the opportunity to change the ghastly chrome bits at the base of the bumper and also the faux skid plate colour from the standard yellow/gold to the colour of the body. The job seems well done although it’s only been a couple of weeks. Fwiw, seems like a decent standardised process to me. Of course, Nissan’s seem pretty sub standard in comparison.

Last edited by RT13 : 12th October 2022 at 19:34.
RT13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 21:28   #1400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
Parts come from MG to the outlets in a standard colour - grey or black or some such and they are then painted to match the particular car.
Nissan has the same process - unpainted panels which are painted at the workshop. Issue was the untrained labor and unique / difficult color which had a detailed process document from Nissan and separate training only on the mixing of this color. The painter who received the training left few months back and the new guy had no clue how to make make this shade. Combine that with ignorance of basic things like keeping the clean room clean and it's a recipe for disaster. This is clearly due to lack of oversight by Nissan on the training levels of dealer employees. Maybe they can have an annual exam for all workshop employees that they have to pass. Different exams for different specializations such as engine / paint / suspension / electricals etc
akg7091 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 22:47   #1401
BHPian

Quote:
I have decided to give the service center one last try and if the issues persist will book my loss and sell the car. No point spending 5 days a month at the service center.
We have about 9 Nissan dealers in my state (Assam) out of about 250 in India including 3 in Guwahati city. Ours is not a big state, hence this number is a good one considering Nissans standard. But quality and not numbers matter to a great extent.
But if we compare this number with VW, Skoda, MG (2 each only) and Toyota is very significant. Citroen has none. KIA might have equal numbers and only Maruti, Hyundai, Mahindra and Tata having better strength.
This has really confused me if opting for a Nissan is worse than VW, Skoda or MG !
( Keeping the leading brands out of this consideration for merit vs demerits of its own with Hyundai and KIA for its lackluster attitudes in regards to structural strength.)
What is your take on this ?

Last edited by d-g-p : 12th October 2022 at 22:49.
Old 12th October 2022, 23:01   #1402
BHPian

I'd say go for Maruti / Hyundai if you are looking at a compact car and Mahindra if looking at a bigger vehicle. I'd avoid Tata as they seem to be having QC issues. Magnite as a car is good but the parts quality is suspect and ASS is a hit and miss. Remember, if you face any issues there's no OEM to help you out unlike Maruti which is customer centric. If ASS / parts quality is not the criteria then the Magnite wins hands down in it's segment. Great CVT+Turbo combo and good features for the price
akg7091 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 23:27   #1403
BHPian

Quote:
I'd say go for Maruti / Hyundai if you are looking at a compact car and Mahindra if looking at a bigger vehicle. I'd avoid Tata as they seem to be having QC issues. Magnite as a car is good but the parts quality is suspect and ASS is a hit and miss. Remember, if you face any issues there's no OEM to help you out unlike Maruti which is customer centric. If ASS / parts quality is not the criteria then the Magnite wins hands down in it's segment. Great CVT+Turbo combo and good features for the price
I am looking at C segment only. Personally I don't have any craze for road presence of a car. Mahindra and TATA do not have a proper Automatic in this segment. Hyundai is out of contention for passive safety concerns. That leaves only Maruti and Brezza to be specific as Grand Vitara didn't impress me. Maruti is hardly interested in delivering Brezza top AT models. Got a booking for Magnite XV pre turbo CVT since last December . But never pressed for a delivery considering the ASS concerns and partly also because of Nissans survival threat. Have not canceled the booking also.
Waiting for 18th October to see if they have a surprise for us ! Hybrid with E-powerdrive would make it really interesting.
Old 12th October 2022, 23:35   #1404
BHPian

Surprised to see your booking is pending since a year. Most variants of magnite are available within a week at the Noida dealership.
Go for the magnite if you can risk the ASS. It's a decent car and offers a lot of value. Only issue is Nissan
Old 12th October 2022, 23:43   #1405
BANNED

I am concerned about the quality of the interior too, had a test drive, there were no rattles, but it seems like the door grab handle was going to give away, some squeaky plastic in the dashboard etc. Engine gearbox and comfort are all great.

We need a car which is reliable, it will replace out reliable SX4 which we are using from the past 15 years.

The Tata Nexon has too many blind spots which will make driving difficult for my dad, 17.5 lakhs for Brezza is too much.
My dad is retired and he needs an easy to drive, park city car, whereas I also want it to be fun to drive, Kiger/Magnite were perfectly fitting our bill, but the interiors are a huge let down.
Old 13th October 2022, 01:20   #1406
BHPian

Go for the new baleno if it suits your needs ? Good product and pricing. Only issue is the AMT instead of the CVT that the previous gen had.
Old 13th October 2022, 15:01   #1407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush Kanthak View Post
I am concerned about the quality of the interior too, had a test drive, there were no rattles, but it seems like the door grab handle was going to give away, some squeaky plastic in the dashboard etc. Engine gearbox and comfort are all great.
If you're not too particular about body shape or road presence, I would consider having a look at the Hondas out there. Reliable NA Petrols or Turbo-Diesels with good interiors and ASS.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th October 2022 at 15:08. Reason: Quote content trimmed
Old 13th October 2022, 15:27   #1408
BHPian

Just realized in my excitement of seeing the paint finish on the bonnet I forgot to check the rear left door. I have told the dealership to check the dft in front of me for the rear left door when I come to pickup the car because the rear left door was also painted by the same untrained painter and not by the expert from Nippon
Old 13th October 2022, 18:45   #1409
BHPian

I texted the dealership that I wanted to see the paint thickness on the dft meter with my own eyes. Till yesterday "they had checked" and now "they had guessed from their experience". Will take the car back as I have no choice. On a side note, this image popped up on my facebook feed
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Magnite Review-image_20221013_184440928.png  

Old 14th October 2022, 21:47   #1410
BHPian

Not sure if anybody's even following my saga, but a quick update jic someone is.

Vehicle was supposed to be delivered on the 13th of oct. I was offered a loaner car 2 days back ( first offer in 10 months ) but declined the same as I do not need it. I have been told the delivery is taking time because, finally, Nissan engineers have come to check the suspension. I have no way to verify this because I did not go to the dealership to check ( it's 40+ mins from my house during off peak hours ). My only wish is that someone senior from Nissan should have called back to discuss the issues and offer me help if needed to resolve the suspension noise.

Nissan getting involved "maybe" ( as stated by the dealership and no other proof ) only after I sent a mass email to 10+ senior management team members last weekend is a a sign of how incompetent this company is ( what was their CC doing for 10 months ? couldn't they have escalated internally ??? )
Couldn't anyone senior have called me for feedback assuming they did read the email and they are now monitoring this case ? Does Nissan not care at all about the voice of it's customers ? They can't have too many of us idiots who bought 3 NMIPL cars since 2021 ?

I have decided to always play it safe with big purchases in the future and go with companies of repute. No more Nissans, Citroens, Datsuns or BYDs. Maruti zindabad !
akg7091 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks