Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2023, 22:12   #1471
BHPian

Re: Nissan Magnite Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudevarkey View Post
Nissan Magnite's rear left wheel bearing is damaged at just 18000 Kms. My standard warranty got expired and I am on extended warranty, this issue surfaced two days after the expiry of standard warranty (a week after the 2nd service) and Nissan has rejected the warranty claim saying Terms & Conditions of Extended Warranty says bearings are not covered.
50% goodwill i think is good. Unlucky with the end timing of standard warranty.

I would say accept it and forget about it. Are you only replacing one wheel or they proactively replacement of all after checking?
Old 22nd March 2023, 07:49   #1472

We have the XV Premium CVT variant and right from the beginning, the warning lights w.r.t ESC, ABS, Hill hold usually comes up whenever there was a three point manouvre in tight parking spaces and the warning lights won't go. The solution was to switch off and on the car completely after a few minutes. The warning signs are still there but with break pedal pressed and a slight steering movement, all the warning signs disappear. It was a major eyesore as well as inconvience. During the first service, the service centre guys finally accepted that yes, there is a problem and the whole ABS module needs to be changed. Any owner who has faced this issue???
Also, there was this steering alignment towards the right and a right pull while driving in a straight line right from the beginning. The vehicle was at the service centre on the very next day of delivery and they fixed the alignment issue. Now after the 1st service, when I took the trial, the same issue cropped up. The guys kept me waiting till 7:30 PM till they did multiple wheel alignment/steering adjustments and trials.
After so much frustration, I got the vehicle back and still there is a very miniscule amount of steering misalignment and right pull which I only am experiencing. The guys told me that they will fix all the problems at the time of ABS module replacement.

After 1 week, I got this message for feedback and I vented out all the frustration and niggles while giving a very low rating.

I hope no one has experienced this issue and Nissan listens to the feedback.

Thankyou.
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Magnite Review-screenshot_20230322072806_messages.jpg  

balmagbrezjim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 20:38   #1473
BHPian

Completed the PDI of my Magnite and now expecting delivery next week hopefully.
Here is the sum of my observations/feelings so far with the car as well as the dealership (Surya Nissan, Bangalore).

Pros:
1. Sales folks are always polite - even when I could have been a little annoyying with my persistent calls/messages to them regarding delivery date slips.

2. Test drive was prompt and at my home exactly at the promised date and time.

3. The car drives well. In sport mode the CVT rubber-banding or turbo lag is almost not present with the car reacting spiritedly to any pressure on the accelerator pedal. Ride quality wise the car feels most similar to the XUV700 in how it reacts to the road - suspension is a little bit on the harder side, but not overly so. Like the XUV700, the brake pedal engages most of its stopping power late into the action, (unlike the i10 I currently drive which starts acting early) - which I am not a big fan of. Braking control is best when you can keep your heel anchored on the floor, and having most of braking force available late ruins that much like how a long-action clutch is poor for ergonomics. Steering feels a little smaller, but nothing to fuss about. Dead pedal is present in the CVT turbo variant (but slightly poorly placed).

4. Car has the basics covered - good seats, good rear seat thigh support, rear wipers, and even has additional (premium?) features that I value: traction and vehicle dynamic control, cruise control, 360 camera etc. Music system is nothing special - but perfectly acceptable for the price. Adding side airbags would have been great, but atleast the bodyshell is worth a 4 star GNCAP.

5. PDI was smooth and I couldn't find any issues with the car. They were very open to my PDI at their stockyard, and allowed me all the time I needed to check the car - visual, under the hood and engine + AC + ICE features. As expected, I wasn't allowed to drive - but the car was driven (a little aggressively, if I may add) some 50m from the parking to the inspection shed. Odometer reading was just 5km during the PDI at their stockyard.

6. Going by my reading of the Magnite's Vietnamese webpages it is E20 rated too...

On the other hand the sales experience has been pretty poor. I dont think there is any malice, but there definitely is gross mismanagement/incompetence.

Cons:
1. The test drive car had run about 15k kms and had a cacophony of interior noises: grinding brake noise at slow speed braking and interior rattles from places too many to count. I went ahead with the booking anyways because I had solicited feedback from Magnite owners here and they mostly seemed to be happy about the car with low likelihood of the issues I noted during the test drive. TBH, I still have a some light lingering fear about the issues I saw in the test drive car that had only run 15k kms.

2. Delivery dates (which seemed optimistic anyways) were repeatedly missed. Every enquiry about missing delivery date found a very polite sales person, but no actual useful information was forthcoming and successive delivery dates were missed. I kept asking them at regular intervals until their head of customer care emailed me with a date - which was finally the one that was met (in that the car was described as ready and VIN was shared, not delivery though). I am pretty sure they lied to me multiple times - about delivery dates, about delays caused ("no cars are being billed from the factory due to BS6 changes, sir" - in February - whcih is a lie because Nissan basically has one car that sells the Magnite and Nissan sold practically identical number of cars in January as well as February.)

3. Handling of insurance details/documents has been (polite, but) terrible - no details were provided except a hand written quote at first. Then a proposal document was sent which atleast had more numbers - but still no brochure or terms and conditions document. I was sent a terms and conditions document from Icici Lombard when I pressed on for one - while the policy they offer is from MS Chola . For details on the addons I was asked (politely) to check the website.

4. The on-road price "quote" given to me was hand written numbers on a printed sheet with blanks - and after a bit of back and forth about insurance prices, the final "quote" for the on-road price was summed up wrong (it was less than the real sum/total). It took them a few hours to realize their mistake (after I made the original payment) and reach out to me again for the additional sum.

While I appreciate their patience and politeness, I am quite concerned about how poorly the process seems to have been managed so far.
Transmission is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 17:23   #1474

Got my Magnite Non turbo serviced for the 40k routine service. Apart from general oils and filters, coolant was changed and brake pads were changed as they were at end of life.

Service ppl pushed for throttle cleaning which was refused by me. No other issues faced in the car.
trailblazer13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2023, 23:48   #1475
BHPian

Continuation of my ordeals with the Magnite :

1 ) Had taken the car back form Neo Nissan in oct 2022 ( car given to them in feb 2022 ) because it had been toooooo long and they had promised to fix the noise during the annual service in feb 2023
2 ) All Neo Nissan outlets in NCR shut down sometime in nov / dec 2022
3 ) Gave the car to you we Nissan last week. Told them the entire front suspension was changed by "japanese engineers who came from the Chennai plant" in oct 2022. On checking the car I was told - the suspension is not new and it seems nothing was changed - lol. Now I understand why the noise was still there.
4 ) You we changed some suspension parts under ext. warranty ( took them just 5 days ) and the noise is gone.

My question to NMIPL, if they are reading this, WAS MY CAR'S SUSPENSION ACTUALLY REPLACED / REPAIRED BY JAPANESE ENGINEERS WHO HAD COME FROM THE CHENNAI PLANT ? Was this just another lie by Neo Nissan and Mohit Sharma from NMIPL ?
I am a pretty patient person and tried to resolve the issues working with them and never gave them any heat. I gave them 10 months to fix it but it seems they didn't do anything except lie to me ? You we fixed this noise in less than a week, including the time to process warranty paperwork and getting the parts.

Incidents such as this is why NMIPL is the shit show that it is. It is run by unethical people. This is why people buy MSIL vehicles - T R U S T

EDIT : It's just been 2 days since I got the car back. Fingers crossed that this time the noise is gone permanently !

Last edited by akg7091 : 9th April 2023 at 00:09.
akg7091 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 14:32   #1476
BHPian

Quote:
I started getting the humming sound a week after 2 year service and just after 2 days of expiry of warranty. Since they have a clause saying bearings are not covered under EW, the warranty claim is rejected.
Can you please confirm if you get the humming noise at high speed? I recently went to 250KM highway trip and noticed that car gives very very loud humming noise at speed of 60+ KMPH. I am now worried if mine is a wheel bearing issue as well. At low speed I do not notice much, there is just hint of some noise. Initially I thought its air pressure issue, but I checked air pressure on multiple occasion, it was alright.
How much does this wheel bearing costs?
Old 11th April 2023, 16:42   #1477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaibhaoT View Post
Can you please confirm if you get the humming noise at high speed? I recently went to 250KM highway trip and noticed that car gives very very loud humming noise at speed of 60+ KMPH
The humming noise increases with speed, you will be able to hear it clearly around 65kmph and it increases as the speed increases. When you stop giving throttle, the sound will be prominent before fading away. Initially there won't be any sound at low speeds but it will gradually increase as you continue to use without changing the bearing.

Quote:
How much does this wheel bearing costs?
The part cost is 1250 + Labor charges. The labour charge will be on the higher side as it involves removing the wheel etc. For me they had waived off labour charges and gave 50% discount on parts.
dudevarkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 17:09   #1478
BHPian

Quote:
The humming noise increases with speed, you will be able to hear it clearly around 65kmph and it increases as the speed increases. When you stop giving throttle, the sound will be prominent before fading away. Initially there won't be any sound at low speeds but it will gradually increase as you continue to use without changing the bearing.

The part cost is 1250 + Labor charges. The labour charge will be on the higher side as it involves removing the wheel etc. For me they had waived off labour charges and gave 50% discount on parts.
I feel my noise may be related to bearing issue as well. I will get it checked at Nissan dealership.
Coincidently, my car has completed 21000 KM & my standard warranty expired just a month back.
Old 16th April 2023, 04:17   #1479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akg7091 View Post
Continuation of my ordeals with the Magnite :

1 ) Had taken the car back form Neo Nissan in oct 2022 ( car given to them in feb 2022 ) because it had been toooooo long and they had promised to fix the noise during the annual service in feb 2023
2 ) All Neo Nissan outlets in NCR shut down sometime in nov / dec 2022
3 ) Gave the car to you we Nissan last week. Told them the entire front suspension was changed by "japanese engineers who came from the Chennai plant" in oct 2022. On checking the car I was told - the suspension is not new and it seems nothing was changed - lol. Now I understand why the noise was still there.
4 ) You we changed some suspension parts under ext. warranty ( took them just 5 days ) and the noise is gone.

My question to NMIPL, if they are reading this, WAS MY CAR'S SUSPENSION ACTUALLY REPLACED / REPAIRED BY JAPANESE ENGINEERS WHO HAD COME FROM THE CHENNAI PLANT ? Was this just another lie by Neo Nissan and Mohit Sharma from NMIPL ?
I am a pretty patient person and tried to resolve the issues working with them and never gave them any heat. I gave them 10 months to fix it but it seems they didn't do anything except lie to me ? You we fixed this noise in less than a week, including the time to process warranty paperwork and getting the parts.

Incidents such as this is why NMIPL is the shit show that it is. It is run by unethical people. This is why people buy MSIL vehicles - T R U S T

EDIT : It's just been 2 days since I got the car back. Fingers crossed that this time the noise is gone permanently !
Happy to report that the noise has completely gone.

10+ months at Neo Nissan. Dozens of emails to Nissan India CC. "Japanese engineers from Chennai plant changed the entire front suspension, both left and right side" - which looked "old" when the team opened it. Just 5 days and they fixed it. No more noise.

I don't understand what's wrong with Nissan India and Neo Nissan (now, thankfully, shut down) but Nissan Okhla is unbelievably good. I had accepted the fact that this noise was the swan song before my car died prematurely. I even joked with the team that they can't fix this noise but they seemed determined to at least try!

To NMIPL - fix your shit. Neo Nissan and Nissan India employee Mohit Sharma obviously lied to me. For months. Your customer care team lied to me on calls and emails for months. You kept my car for almost 10 months and did nothing!

At the very least, promote the engineer / SA at Nissan who was able to diagnose and fix the noise in a single visit. Don't let such seasoned people leave - acknowledge and promote such employees internally.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th April 2023 at 17:19. Reason: Language
akg7091 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 20:05   #1480
BHPian

Can any Magnite CVT Turbo owners confirm the following behaviour of the car?

1. The car has a slight jerk - only sometimes - when moving forwards for the first time after a gear was changed into D(rive). The feeling is like a clutch was just engaged.

2. Engine braking seems to increase/strengthen around speeds of 24-25 kmph and is lower at speeds both higher and lower than that.

For context my Magnite has been driven just about 1600Kms, so less than 2000kms and so even the first checkup (service) hasn't been done.

Another curious observation is that for the first many times I used the windshield washer the washer fluid would spray first, and then about hald a second later the wipers would start. But for the last few times the fluid is sprayed and the wiper starts without any delay. I quite preferred the earlier mode - delayed wipe...

Also, does anyone have a copy of the service manual (not owners manual) for this car?
Old 19th April 2023, 01:09   #1481
BHPian

There is NO jerk when shifting to D. I "feel" the drive engage but it's the same feel I get in the civic. Engine braking seems to be the same for me from 0-80. Never noticed it increase / decrease abnormally, again compared to the civic. Never noticed whether there's any delay on using the wipers so no comments there
akg7091 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 11:27   #1482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmission View Post
Can any Magnite CVT Turbo owners confirm the following behaviour of the car?

1. The car has a slight jerk - only sometimes - when moving forwards for the first time after a gear was changed into D(rive). The feeling is like a clutch was just engaged.
From what I have read about CVTs, the idea is to go from "P" to "N" to "D" while the brakes are activated / standstill, and not directly from "P" to "D".

Try and check if this should reduce the jerk.

As another user mentions, you will still feel the drive engage.
devregister is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 11:54   #1483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akg7091 View Post
There is NO jerk when shifting to D. I "feel" the drive engage but it's the same feel I get in the civic. Engine braking seems to be the same for me from 0-80. Never noticed it increase / decrease abnormally, again compared to the civic. Never noticed whether there's any delay on using the wipers so no comments there
Thank you for the comment, akg. I had followed your story here closely (and it worried me as I had also booked a Magnite). Glad to see that your ordeals seem to have been all sorted out now!

There is no jerk when shifting from any gear to D. The jerk happens only when I release the brake - even if its about 5 seconds after D had been selected. For clarity here is the sequence of events:

1. Car is stationary - with the engine running - in some gear other than D (lets say the current gear is P)
2. I press and hold brake and shift gear to D. There is no jerk felt at this time.
3. I keep the brake pressed for another 5 seconds (There is no jerk felt all this time waiting)
4. After 5 seconds, I release the brake now to move forward. The car moves forward with a slight initial jerk/jump - sometimes.

The jerk happens only sometimes and not always, and like you noted feels like a clutch engagement. Just trying to see if anyone else also had observed it.
My previous experience is with a Grand i10 AT and it doesn't have this behaviour (In the i10 the slight jerk if any only happens in step 2 above).

As for the engine braking, I am very sure that it increases slightly around 24-25kmph on my car. As mild as it is, I can feel it even without looking at the speedometer. Lets see how its after the first checkup at 2000KMs. I intend to do a (paid) oil change anyways - though when I last checked the oil at about 1000KMs the oil looked pretty clean.

Also, will start a review + ownership thread very soon, including all the slight modifications I do/plan to do to the car (like changing internal lights to LEDs, adding a IRVM dashcam to act as an auto dimming IRVM/ blind spot helper, and possibly adding ambient lights as well as replacing the fog lamps with something that I can actually have some use of...

(I got a notification that someone else has also quoted my message here, but I cant see any replies on the thread.)
Transmission is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 14:11   #1484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmission View Post

There is no jerk when shifting from any gear to D. The jerk happens only when I release the brake - even if its about 5 seconds after D had been selected. For clarity here is the sequence of events:

1. Car is stationary - with the engine running - in some gear other than D (lets say the current gear is P)
2. I press and hold brake and shift gear to D. There is no jerk felt at this time.
3. I keep the brake pressed for another 5 seconds (There is no jerk felt all this time waiting)
4. After 5 seconds, I release the brake now to move forward. The car moves forward with a slight initial jerk/jump - sometimes.
The head nod after shifting from P to D and releasing the brake pedal happens in most cars i think. You should not pay it much attention unless it's a BIG jerk/shake.

It happens in our 2022 Fortuner AT back home and here (in Sydney) in my uncle's Mitsubishi Outlander AT whenever i drive it.
Doonite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 14:27   #1485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devregister View Post
From what I have read about CVTs, the idea is to go from "P" to "N" to "D" while the brakes are activated / standstill, and not directly from "P" to "D".

Try and check if this should reduce the jerk.

As another user mentions, you will still feel the drive engage.
Thank you!
I'm away from the car for a few days, will try this out when I can and report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonite View Post
The head nod after shifting from P to D and releasing the brake pedal happens in most cars i think. You should not pay it much attention unless it's a BIG jerk/shake.

It happens in our 2022 Fortuner AT back home and here (in Sydney) in my uncle's Mitsubishi Outlander AT whenever i drive it.
The jerk is minor - and feels no different than a newbie engaging the clutch a little too quickly on a manual gearbox.
For some reason this doesn't happen at step 4 with the i10 AT I currently drive (in the i10 I feel the gearbox engage only in step 2 - but since the car is stationary at step 2 there is no real jerk, just a small body shake/vibration) so was wondering if the Magnite's behaviour was somehow unexpected. Thanks for sharing your knowledge

Last edited by Transmission : 19th April 2023 at 14:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks