Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2022, 12:04   #631
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Never been let down by ground clearance... Add to that very respectable ground clearance and unless one is specifically off-roading the Octavia is unlikely to let one down in normal course touring.
Could you elaborate on your experiences with the GC? Basically, the Octy would easily win the "what car" battles if I had confidence in its ability to handle bad roads (Bangalore, which is a lot worse than Mumbai) and be able to take it on, say, a Leh trip without worrying about scraping. The on-paper specs make me nervous though.

Apart from that, it is a truly spectacular machine.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 12:18   #632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Could you elaborate on your experiences with the GC? Basically, the Octy would easily win the "what car" battles if I had confidence in its ability to handle bad roads (Bangalore, which is a lot worse than Mumbai) and be able to take it on, say, a Leh trip without worrying about scraping. The on-paper specs make me nervous though.

Apart from that, it is a truly spectacular machine.
I think the low GC and belly scraping is more made up than reality - I have an Octavia from 2016 and have taken worst of the roads including only stones and gravels in some of the ghats and forest roads. In all these years it would have scrapped belly only 4 or 5 times. Obviously we need to be careful while taking those monstrous speed breakers and cannot drive like a Fortuner. But for most part it will do just fine. Infact my car is now running on 45 profile tyres and I have no complaints on Bangalore roads. Have driven new Octavia few times and did not find GC any different from last gen.

Last edited by sunikkat : 22nd March 2022 at 12:19.
sunikkat is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 12:19   #633
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post

Never been let down by ground clearance or internal space.
Sorry I should have been clearer. I was comparing my own experiences of a similar notchback - my 3GT - while remarking that I've never been let down by ground clearance in normal course touring (given MH roads, in itself a challenge).

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Could you elaborate on your experiences with the GC? Basically, the Octy would easily win the "what car" battles if I had confidence in its ability to handle bad roads (Bangalore, which is a lot worse than Mumbai) and be able to take it on, say, a Leh trip without worrying about scraping.
To clarify further, I meant normal road / normal bad road touring in my GT, including the typical "barely any roads" at the last mile of most scenic destinations around Mumbai.

I don't think I'd take my 3 GT to Leh. For that kind of a road trip, I'd certainly prefer an SUV, if I'm going to go that far off the beaten path.

Re Bangalore, I don't live there so can't comment but I "survived" with a Civic in Mumbai (notorious for its bad GC) so I would imagine living with an Octavia should not be a deal breaker even on Bangalore roads.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 14:00   #634
BHPian

Congratulations Binoy on buying the Octavia. By the way who gets the 'ownership' of the Octavia, your wife or son. Ha Ha
pd1108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 14:43   #635
cka
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoym View Post
Gandalf The White

The past three days have been an absolute joy. (I told GTO how I'm almost living in my car) We've already driven to Khandala and back. Dad and I had a thing for long drives, food and conversation.
Amazing choice Binoy. For 28.5 Lakhs you got car worth 40 big ones (read Audi A4) to drive and enjoy. Enjoy the last age of ICE and definitely few years down the line you will buy an EV.
cka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 15:47   #636

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd1108 View Post
Congratulations Binoy on buying the Octavia. By the way who gets the 'ownership' of the Octavia, your wife or son. Ha Ha
Wife + Son = Always! I am simply renting it over the weekends
binoym is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 20:11   #637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1agrawal View Post
This is a great deal! Slavia 1.5 DSG is costing 22L on-road in Bengaluru. By paying 6.5L more you are getting a car which is far more superior & in a different league altogether.
I am confused. You are paying 30%+ more after a heavy discount. If you don't have that then you are looking at 40-45% more over Slavia.
With that much premium you SHOULD be getting a far superior car in a different league altogether, hands down.
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 21:15   #638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They offered me a sweet discount and now the difference between the Octavia Style and the facelift ZSEV was under 1 Lac given the two price hikes the ZSEV received since my booking.
Hi Binoy! thanks very much for briefly sharing your purchase experience : )

A question regarding the current pricing of Octavia.
It was mentioned 28.5 on-road Mumbai for the Style variant, Would you be able to share the offer given to you on the L&K variant as well?

Thank you.
Old 22nd March 2022, 21:42   #639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
I am confused. You are paying 30%+ more after a heavy discount. If you don't have that then you are looking at 40-45% more over Slavia.
With that much premium you SHOULD be getting a far superior car in a different league altogether, hands down.
Honestly Octavia is in a different league altogether than Slavia, hands down Whether it is engine/performance, gearbox, space, quality of interiors, build etc. What we are forgetting is Octavia is the cheapest model to get that great 2 TSI engine.

Say for example, Honda Amaze CVT petrol top end is ~ 11 lakhs OTR Bangalore. And we pay ~ 70% more over Amaze for City / Slavia 1 TSI top end auto.

These cars are different segments all together, and I think it is okay to command that premium

Last edited by sunikkat : 22nd March 2022 at 21:51.
sunikkat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 22:54   #640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Slavia is a C2 segment car and Octavia is in the league of A4 which I believe is 2 segments above Slavia. By paying 6.5L more, incase one is able to get the deal, you are buying a car which is almost twice the value of Slavia.
amit1agrawal is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 23:16   #641

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Hi Binoy! thanks very much for briefly sharing your purchase experience : )

A question regarding the current pricing of Octavia.
It was mentioned 28.5 on-road Mumbai for the Style variant, Would you be able to share the offer given to you on the L&K variant as well?

Thank you.
Hi Maky - I did not enquire on the L&K at all. But my guess is the 3.10 - 3.30 discount you’ll get should be applicable to both. I spoke to three Skoda dealerships and this one worked out the best. To give you the split:

2.25L Flat Discount
0.65K American Express Corporate Discount (running until 31st march)
.15K Free Accessories.
Total: 3.05L

Plus, Finance incentive was given based on 1% of Loan value.

Also, I directly deal with the bank I financed my car with and yet, they weren’t able to match JMD’s finance discount benefit. The war between both RM’s with the same bank remains a story for another day.
binoym is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 00:00   #642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Maky - I did not enquire on the L&K at all. But my guess is the 3.10 - 3.30 discount you’ll get should be applicable to both. I spoke to three Skoda dealerships and this one worked out the best. To give you the split:

2.25L Flat Discount
.15K Free Accessories.

Also, I directly deal with the bank I financed my car with and yet, they weren’t able to match JMD’s finance discount benefit. The war between both RM’s with the same bank remains a story for another day.
Thank you very much for the detailed reply! I did have some more queries

-What made you personally pick the Style over the L&K?

-Would you say It would be better to wait till end of year(~Dec period) to get a new one or the offers would be the same as the March period?

Thanks again : )
Maky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 01:09   #643
BHPian

Quote:

2.25L Flat Discount
.15K Free Accessories.

Congratulations on your ride.

Wow, Mumbai seriously has some fantastic discounts. The dealers in Bangalore are willing to give a corporate discount of 35K and 15K exchange bonus for 2022 VIN, that's about it. For 2021 VIN you get an additional 50K cash discount and nothing more. And this is the common trait with all 3 dealers in Bangalore for both the Octavia & Superb.
SR-71 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 08:29   #644
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, do keep in mind that the discounts were fat because of stock clearance. The car is an October 2021 build (which is why I did the PDI) and was lying unsold at the factory. It arrived at JMD just earlier in March. Colour option was white only. It was a similar case with my Superb where we got a fat discount on a 2020 car bought in 2021, because Skoda desperately wanted to finish off the kits of the pre-facelift model and launch the updated version with some new features. When the car doesn't move from the factory yard, it is on Skoda's books and company accountants h-a-t-e unsold inventory at the factory. It's a massive liability & they'll do anything to move those cars eventually. Remember the A4 that many BHPians bought at 39 lakhs OTR? Similar story.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 08:36   #645
BHPian

Quote:
2.25L Flat Discount
.15K Free Accessories.
Congrats on your new ride and wish you many happy miles and memories with it.

Beats me, how you managed to get such a good flat discount ! There are absolutely no discounts on Octavia anywhere, especially considering the current market scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The car is an October 2021 build (which is why I did the PDI) and was lying unsold at the factory.
This explains, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
What we are forgetting is Octavia is the cheapest model to get that great 2 TSI engine.
Notwithstanding the brilliant engine, I wouldn't use Octavia and cheapest in the same sentence.

Last edited by stringbh : 23rd March 2022 at 08:40. Reason: updated
stringbh is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks