Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2022, 13:32   #616
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul1407 View Post
Thanks for sharing these buddy, currently I am only looking forward to the exhaust tips and spoiler and the latter is not available at this site I guess.
The sportline spoiler is also avialble at Kopacek. I haven't got a chance to install the exhaust tips on my Octy yet, but I did temporarily attach it with some clips and sticky tape just to check. It actually looks quite good in person and doesn't look like a tacky aftermarket part.

I'm keen on getting the Sportline spoiler, door sills for all 4 doors(mine's the Style variant) and paddle extenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekvinayak View Post
I have been looking for something similar for my Karoq, these are the best I can find but I am not sold on them https://milotec.de/Milotec-Auspuff-D...ign::3929.html

Please share if you guys find something worth the cash
Prateek, I strongly think that black plastic cladding which has chrome tips is similar to the ones on other Skoda cars (Superb/Kodiaq). Do check with the A.S.S if it can be fitted on your Karoq.

Last edited by akshay_b : 18th March 2022 at 13:51.
akshay_b is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 16:50   #617
BHPian

Just noticed this gaffe in the Octavia's brochure - It carries the Superb's picture (with the pulsar alloys not available in India spec L&K Superb) for the graphite grey color . Someone in their digital team is seriously lazy. This color option was introduced only recently.

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-octavia_gafe.jpg

Last edited by SR-71 : 18th March 2022 at 16:53.
SR-71 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 11:19   #618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris007 View Post

I took a slightly different route this time - one that had very low profile rumble strips. I took them at the same speed as my current daily driver - Hyundai Venue, but I kept hearing a loud, jarringly boomy noise each time I went over those strips. It got to a point where I slowed to a crawl before those strips to avoid the noise. Moreover, throughout the test drive the car kept randomly making the locking/unlocking sounds and random loud beeps. The SA did not have any idea why.

As fate would have it, this was the first test drive of the vehicle with my wife and as expected got a firm "No" after it was done. The car search continues...
This is very strange. In my opinion test drive car is not well maintained. You can try at different dealerships or welcome to take mine for a spin. Even if you have dropped the option it would be better to give one more go for a better perspective.

Only issue in my vehicle is brake noise. Don’t like it, at service center they cleaned discs once and returned it back. In a day brake sound is back. Plan to take it back to SC.

Last edited by CircleOfLife : 19th March 2022 at 11:22.
CircleOfLife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 18:57   #619
BHPian

They say there's a sucker born every minute. Show me a beautifully crafted purring sedan and i turn into one. Despite every sensible part of me telling me to not overindulge and buy the Octavia (going to be a nightmare to maintain, spending 10L more than i need to, way more overpowered than i will ever use), here i am having plonked down the deposit for a Octavia Style. I even came very close to going for the L&K only for the Graphite Grey. But the helpful folks at the dealership have fast-tracked a Lava Blue Style for me and pushed me over the edge.

Not a very sensible decision from me. But then again what does the 10 Lakhs extra mean when i will be grinning away like a Cheshire cat for years to come.

Last edited by RoadTrippin : 19th March 2022 at 18:58. Reason: Typo fixed.
RoadTrippin is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 19:30   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Someone in their digital team is seriously lazy. This color option was introduced only recently.
Tell me about it! Even the image of the alloys on the Style variant is wrong.
The alloys on the Style variant has 5 spokes and is called "Lyra"

Name:  Screenshot 20220319 at 7.43.06 PM.png
Views: 2619
Size:  119.7 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrippin View Post
They say there's a sucker born every minute. Show me a beautifully crafted purring sedan and i turn into one. Despite every sensible part of me telling me to not overindulge and buy the Octavia (going to be a nightmare to maintain, spending 10L more than i need to, way more overpowered than i will ever use), here i am having plonked down the deposit for a Octavia Style. I even came very close to going for the L&K only for the Graphite Grey. But the helpful folks at the dealership have fast-tracked a Lava Blue Style for me and pushed me over the edge.

Not a very sensible decision from me. But then again what does the 10 Lakhs extra mean when i will be grinning away like a Cheshire cat for years to come.
Congratulations mate!

Trust me, there's no such thing as too much power! I was in the same situation as you are and we almost ended up buying the Kushaq 1.5 TSI DSG. I'm so glad that I made up my mind and bought the Octy (Lava Blue Style). The sheer quality of interiors, ride quality, and that monstrous engine with DSG makes you think you made the right choice. Not to mention the occasional fun you can have on the highways when the fast Germans want to see how powerful the Octy is

Last edited by akshay_b : 19th March 2022 at 19:44.
akshay_b is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 20:20   #621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrippin View Post
Congratulations, Octavia is the one I would go below a 330i. For me it is indeed VFM, as it is the entry point to that sweet 2 TSI. And the car reeks quality inside out.
And if you want more fun slightly modify the suspension and upsize the wheels
Old 19th March 2022, 23:25   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Tell me about it! Even the image of the alloys on the Style variant is wrong.
The alloys on the Style variant has 5 spokes and is called "Lyra"

Attachment 2286215
When the fourth-gen Octavia was spotted testing in India back in 2020, it actually had these 17-inch Rotare wheels. The original production version's Style variant came with 17-inch 5-spoke Lyra wheels from the beginning onwards. 2017-19 Audi A4 Technology also had an identical 5-spoke wheel design if memory serves me right.

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-orig5e3071497e8z81024x768.jpg
Shreyfiesta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 05:20   #623
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashiqb View Post
But I would strongly recommend folks to try out other cars in the same price point, without discriminating it since it is a sedan, and I'm sure it will not disappoint, and you might even be surprised at the decision you take later on, much like me.

Sedans these days are well aware of the ground clearance issues, and new sedans like the Slavia are built to compete.
Great post and agree with several points you made. Sedans have several aspects going for them like better back seat comfort, better ride quality - people who are prone to motion sickness can often handle longer journeys in sedans more easily than SUVs. I think in your case, some of the differences get amplified because its a Compass vs Octavia discussion. The Compass actually falls short in space compared to many of its direct competitors and the Octavia does better on some of these fronts than most other comparable sedans, in part due to its brilliant notchback design.

Never been let down by ground clearance or internal space. The Octavia has many similar benefits going for it with its unique notchback design - it offers an incredibly comfortable back seat in comparison to similar range SUVs, has a boot that’s bigger than most similar price SUVs and flexibility of folding down seats for the same kind of luggage capability. Add to that very respectable ground clearance and unless one is specifically off-roading the Octavia is unlikely to let one down in normal course touring.

I wouldn’t want to take the dedicated Octavia thread off topic but here are some other good discussions on the same subject matter, which too have evolved over time. The earliest being started as early as 2010 and some more recent threads too.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...hoice-why.html (Crossovers vs Sedans: Your choice & why?)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...uv-debate.html (Should you buy an SUV? The definitive Sedan vs SUV debate)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...one-sedan.html (Would you shift from a high-seating position vehicle (SUV) to a low-seating one (sedan)?)

Last edited by Axe77 : 20th March 2022 at 05:24.
Axe77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 18:39   #624

Gandalf The White

To begin with, Team-BHP remains a portal very, very close to my heart. It’s also driven by GTO’s enthusiasm and excitement for all things ICE (and now even electric). GTO is my brother and my earliest mentor. He went out of his way to make this happen and I’m happy that I am able to write this review. So let's go!

The current cars owned by the family include a Baleno CVT (Wife+Me), Ignis AMT (Dad) and a Zen Estilo Manual (Mom). With my son growing up and having his own routine, we decided to add a fourth car. We could have waited for at least a year longer BUT, the GNCAP rating for the Baleno was released and its crash test rating was ZERO. This to me was unacceptable and I felt cheated by a brand my family has trusted for decades. We’ve owned over fifteen Suzuki cars over the years. Now, we had to add a car that serves the following purpose:

Needs to be a safe car.
Budget was in the 25 Lac ballpark.
Needs to satisfy the enthusiast in me.
Need to keep it long term.

The test drives began and the finalists were: Jeep Compass Petrol, MG ZSEV and the Skoda Octavia.

In November 2021, Skoda wasn’t budging on the price point and MG ZSEV fully loaded was 26 Lac OTR. I was convinced. They let me keep the car for two days straight. I absolutely loved the ride, the speed, the idea to go electric and I booked it.

The months and wait unfolded. News broke that there is a facelift launching and I should wait for the update. I agree. As I am waiting, my eyes keep catching Octavias on the road and how much I liked the car. The drive, the power, the quality - it was unmatched IMO. But the price wasn't right. I am a sucker for a good deal. This did not make sense to me.

BUT, late February I got a call from a Skoda dealer offering a corporate discount. I was interested, very interested. Next thing, I called GTO to discuss my dilemma. Moments later I am on a call with JMD Skoda, Kandivali - Mumbai. Given the highly positive experience GTO had with the Superb purchase, this seemed to be extremely comfortable from the get going. They offered me a sweet discount and now the difference between the Octavia Style and the facelift ZSEV was under 1 Lac given the two price hikes the ZSEV received since my booking.

As of March 01st, I was holding a booking with both Skoda as well as MG. I decided to withdraw my booking from MG and proceed with my paperwork and transaction with JMD Skoda. Special thanks to Mr. Sandeep and Ms. Niyati at JMD Skoda - They’re very prompt.

GTO and I went to check out the car (The exact VIN) in the flesh before we could move into the registration process. GTO spent quality time looking at the beauty and he approved! Next, we signed off the final paperwork and boom - Octavia BABY.. I opted for the Extended Warranty because I should I guess? Looking forward to many, many miles with this beast.

Next, its time to slap on some Team-BHP merchandise!

GTO doing GTO things!
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-whatsapp-image-20220312-1.56.55-pm-1.jpeg

GTO approves. We move forward.
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-whatsapp-image-20220312-1.56.55-pm.jpeg

That's me with Gandalf. We have thing of naming our cars. We've had Batmobile, Alfred and even Chamko (A Golden Honda Accord back at university)
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-f301058c162c4b1bb409855c3dbfb296.jpeg

Documents signed!
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-e3c9794f4a0a47fab260fdbe0dc503e9.jpeg

Delivery Day Joy:
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-1e19b7bf2a86481cb202025426ab078f_1_201_a.jpeg

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-17e8443ecb0d4380a456d9c1ced76a00_1_201_a.jpeg

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-507a628c650545a9a66e973b265d842f_1_201_a.jpeg

The past three days have been an absolute joy. (I told GTO how I'm almost living in my car) We've already driven to Khandala and back. Dad and I had a thing for long drives, food and conversation. Over the years, our individual routines took over and It's just not happened in so long. Apart from how amazing this is to drive and it's sheer "That's all you got" attitude, my biggest take away is that early morning drive with my father. I think we're going to do many, many more of these!

Oh about Fuel economy, I don't want to see it. I've changed the setting to not want to see this information. That' not why I got this car. My daily commute is under 5 kms between work and home. This one is purely for the heart.

More pictures coming soon!

Last edited by GTO : 22nd March 2022 at 07:19. Reason: Merging back to back posts
binoym is offline   (135) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 07:23   #625
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats Binoy, bro! So happy that you bought the Octavia over the ZS EV. While the latter is a good one as well, the Octavia is a proper luxury car that is comparable to the likes of the A4 & C-Class. Properly fun to drive, mad engine + fast DSG, family-friendly cabin & boot and a comfortable suspension. This is the kind of car you'll enjoy for 10 years. Just wait till your running-in is complete and you're redlining on the expressway .
GTO is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 08:52   #626
BHPian

Congratulations on your new octy! Could you please throw some light on you could get it for 25L on road. Here in Bengaluru dealers are quoting 32 big ones with just few thousand discount here and there but nothing substantial.
Btw i have booked slavia 1.5 dsg
amit1agrawal is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 09:04   #627
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1agrawal View Post
Congratulations on your new octy! Could you please throw some light on you could get it for 25L on road.
After discounts, it came up to about 28.5 lakhs on the road. Considering the top variant of even a car like the Creta DCT costs 21.5 lakhs in Mumbai, I see Binoy's Octavia as the ultimate "value luxury" machine.

Heck, the Slavia 1.5L DSG top trim is almost 21 lakhs OTR Mumbai & the Octavia is just so, so much superior. Buy the better, more expensive car, keep it for 10 years and it works out cheaper in the longer run. Here's an article on my philosophy.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd March 2022 at 09:07.
GTO is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 09:17   #628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
After discounts, it came up to about 28.5 lakhs on the road. Considering the top variant of even a car like the Creta DCT costs 21.5 lakhs in Mumbai, I see Binoy's Octavia as the ultimate "value luxury" machine.

Heck, the Slavia 1.5L DSG top trim is almost 21 lakhs OTR Mumbai & the Octavia is just so, so much superior. Buy the better, more expensive car, keep it for 10 years and it works out cheaper in the longer run. Here's an article on my philosophy.
This is a great deal! Slavia 1.5 DSG is costing 22L on-road in Bengaluru. By paying 6.5L more you are getting a car which is far more superior & in a different league altogether. Though it's way beyond my budget, If I were to get that deal here I would seriously considering buying Octy rather than pay 22L for Slavia. Let me check again with SA what best he can offer
amit1agrawal is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 10:34   #629
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulation Binoy & GTO Seeing your post & the kind of deal you got I strongly feel that Skoda India should launch a base version of the Octavia with a Manual Transmission. This variant will sit between the top spec DSG Slavia & the Current base Style DSG Octavia. This box can be put in the Superb too. Hope Skoda India sees some business sense in this dream post

Last edited by karan561 : 22nd March 2022 at 10:36.
karan561 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 10:57   #630

Congratulations!

A great choice in my view - made sweeter with the discount!
I almost went for the Octy as well when i was looking recently, excellent quality and amazing ride quality.
Wishing you happy mile crunching!
Gazole is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks