Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2022, 06:56   #1171
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Yesterday I went to see the Octavia again for consideration. This time I did not take a test drive but merely to see and feel the car out in person again. The variant on display was the Style model. Such a well built car this one, especially in comparision to the Kushaq which I test drove last week just out of curiosity.

I have some questions for anyone who can help me:

- Can I get projectors fit on the Style variant afterwards?, Style seem to have a completely different housing/design compared to the L&K with its projector units. Will it void warranty?

- Music system was mediocre at best. Can I fit an aftermarket audio system vis DSP hooked to stock touchpanel route? will it void warranty?

- Can I get an official different alloy design from Skoda? not necessarily the L&K design ones but something else? the Sales person said he wasn't sure and would get back to me. VW guys had some variety of official alloy designs for the Tiguan

- What are the replacement costs for common contact points? I would like to know the spare costs for front bumper, rear bumper, front headlights and rear taillights. The sales person again was not able to help me with this.

- How has the new DQ381 DSG unit fared in terms of reliability? It has been I think two years since this car has come out and I figure it's been out long enough to get an idea.

- Are there any offers ongoing for the Octavia?, either style or L&K variant?

Thank you for your time : )
Points 1 to 3- warranty will be void
Point 4- the parts don’t crack or break that easily. But when they do, they will cost you a pretty penny. Make sure you have bumper to bumper insurance to offset this
Point 5- I’ve had an issue with the GB within 4 months of ownership. Apparently a known issue with the selector chip and was an easy fix under warranty. No questions asked. That apart, the GB is a hoot to drive in town and open highways
Endless.... is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 10:43   #1172
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for answering most of my questions Endless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless.... View Post
Point 5- I’ve had an issue with the GB within 4 months of ownership. Apparently a known issue with the selector chip and was an easy fix under warranty. No questions asked. That apart, the GB is a hoot to drive in town and open highways
When this 'selector chip' on your gearbox failed was that a complete breakdown? or were you able to still drive back home/service center?
And broadly asking, when anything in the DSG fails can one 'limp' back home or It's an instant tow truck requirement?

Thanks.
Maky is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 12:42   #1173
BHPian

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-bcf13bbab2df4ecc9410aabc71c51ac8.jpeg

Can someone help me figure out what this Dongle Provision message is and how do I resolve this?
Old 22nd October 2022, 18:28   #1174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0TALITY View Post
Can someone help me figure out what this Dongle Provision message is and how do I resolve this?
How are you getting this info? Which app are you using? When did you buy the car?
Old 22nd October 2022, 18:31   #1175
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2370750

Update : Fixed it. I had to disconnect and reconnect the Jio dongle below the driver dashboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suvan1988 View Post
How are you getting this info? Which app are you using? When did you buy the car?
You can get this information on MySkodaConnect App. Just login with your registered phone number.

Last edited by vb-saan : 23rd October 2022 at 11:52. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another.
Old 22nd October 2022, 19:51   #1176
BHPian

Quote:
You can get this information on MySkodaConnect App. Just login with your registered phone number.
Thank you so much. Previously the same app was not working (around April - 22) when I bought my car.

One question, does the car have any kind of communication mechanism over internet? Atleast for the model I bought back in April 22
Old 22nd October 2022, 19:57   #1177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suvan1988 View Post
Thank you so much. Previously the same app was not working (around April - 22) when I bought my car.

One question, does the car have any kind of communication mechanism over internet? Atleast for the model I bought back in April 22
Yes. This is driven by a Jio dongle below the driver dashboard.
You can basically do stuff like track car location, speed, RPM, temps, setup geofencing etc

I think even you should be having this enabled. You can physically verify the presence of the dongle too. Check with service centre if it isn’t.
T0TALITY is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 20:09   #1178
BHPian

Quote:

I think even you should be having this enabled. You can physically verify the presence of the dongle too. Check with service centre if it isn’t.
Thanks, I need to check when I get back to Bangalore. It would be good if you can post any pic when you have sometime. That way I can definitely identify and also show to service center person in case its not present.
Old 23rd October 2022, 09:16   #1179
rsk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhgoyal View Post
Hi there
I faced the same problem a number of times a month or so ago, and I did post it on the forum.
I have come to discover a potential solution to this problem, as mentioned by a fellow BHPian earlier.
I’ve been following it ever since I discovered it and (fingers crossed tightly) the problem hasn’t haunted me ever since -

Every time you enter the car, don’t start the engine immediately. After sitting down, push the start stop button without pushing the brake and the car will go into accessory electrical mode with the speedo, rev dials and the cluster lights lit up.
Wait for the lights to go out (mainly I wait for the yellow exclamation mark) and this does a full electrical boot up.
Then push the brake and push the button to start engine and drive off.

This mere 5 second extra step somehow has helped me avoid the problem, is it fluke or has some actual rationale behind it, I guess I’ll never know.

I would like to also inform you that I did a bit of research on this and surprisingly it’s not just Octavia, not just Škoda and not just India that’s facing this problem.
Many cars with the latest crop of infotainment systems from VAG are facing this problem, international forums have discussions dating back to early 2021 if I remember correctly.
Skoda has not provided any fix for this until now either
I went for my first service and mentioned this problem. The SA said that there is an update for the infotainment and this is one of the issues that will get addressed. I had taken delivery yesterday, and so far there have been no issues around this. However, even earlier the problem was sporadic. So will have to wait and see.
Old 23rd October 2022, 10:47   #1180
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Octavia neoon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Completed 3 months of ownership - Overall, I am quite happy with the purchase. This car is made for highways, I just love the way it picks up speed on open stretches.
I see in your posted picture you have the Style variant. I too am considering the much cheaper Style variant over the L&K. I had some questions for you if you don't mind..

Could you tell me If on your highway journeys you found the headlight lacking in anyway? given the Style does not have presumably superior projectors headlights?
Otherwise, are there any of the features from L&K you really miss having in the Style variant?

Thank you : )
Old 25th October 2022, 17:18   #1181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhgoyal View Post
Hi everyone
I’ve been avidly listening to a lot of music and audio in my Octavia. I have the L&K which has the Canton sound system.
There has been something I’ve been noticing for quite a while now and I did do significant research online about the same, after many months of investigation I’ve come to a milestone discovery, which I’d like to share with you all.

I somehow started to feel that playing audio via Spotify (apple CarPlay) felt dull and not as energetic and involving as I had expected. I always used Spotify and for many months, with drives that consisted of constant modulation of audio equaliser and fader settings, I eventually felt that maybe it’s the canton sound system that is overhyped, because in complete, brutal and shameful honestly, the 6 speaker baseline setup in my dads X1 sounded much better and energetic.
However I did not give up on the Canton sound system because I knew Škoda won’t cheat us with quality on the Octavia. And a 600W 11 speaker setup can’t let me down so easily now can it.
One day I happened to play music via Apple Music, and the contrast was STARK. (I had never played audio in the car by any other means than Spotify before this)
Bass was sharper, the highs not as shrill and the music felt significantly more involving and had more ‘layers’ to it. This lead me to believe -
1. Octavia’s canton sound system is actually very very good (phew, I really was tensed up)
2. Something is wrong with Spotify

I did significant research on it and found that playing music via SPOTIFY, in APPLE CARPLAY makes music muffled and dull. This is an issue with apple CarPlay and affects a lot of cars internationally
Some forums said that Spotify keeps its voice assistant on all the time so we need to turn it off so that the microphone is shut off, but Indian Spotify has no such feature so it was a dead end.
I did turn off hey Siri,(just in case) didn’t help either.

There has been significant evidence that playing music via Spotify via regular BLUETOOTH solves the problem, but that in my opinion does take way from the whole convenience and ease of apple CarPlay.
I may be an evangelistic automobile audiophile, but I do value the ease of CarPlay and so haven’t tried out Bluetooth Audio yet.
Plus I’ve read that playing music over Bluetooth will not provide same streaming quality as Wi-Fi based or wired apple CarPlay, so seems like a gamble ?

Has anyone else observed these things ? If so any solution to this issue ?
Sorry for the long post, but it really is a convoluted situation.
I had this discovery too albeit with Prime music first and then recently with Apple Music. My V40 CC has a cracker of an audio system and listening to spotify made it dull and muddy. Playing from Prime music made it come to life more and with Apple Music ( especially lossless) it's a game changer. The vocals, mids and bass is just perfect and I end up taking drives just to listen to music. While you lose some quality playing over Bluetooth, Apple Music is still very good and offers the best fidelity. And yes you get the highest quality when streaming over wifi/ with Airplay enabled devices. For instance My Bowers and Wilkins Zeppelin sounds the best when I stream over Airplay (Apple Music lossless)

Bluetooth with Apple Music ( high quality or lossless if data permits) is the best compromise. It would let your Canton shine fairly.
vjbox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 11:50   #1182
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for answering most of my questions Endless.

When this 'selector chip' on your gearbox failed was that a complete breakdown? or were you able to still drive back home/service center?
And broadly asking, when anything in the DSG fails can one 'limp' back home or It's an instant tow truck requirement?

Thanks.
It was not a break down. Just a message on the console letting me know there is an issue with the selector module but I can continue driving normally, with a recommendation to head to the service center.

This issue happened at 3k kms. The car just crossed 9k kms. Finished a 1500kms drive over this weekend. The car remains a hoot to drive on open highways.
Endless.... is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 11:55   #1183
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your experience with the Octavia neoon.

I see in your posted picture you have the Style variant. I too am considering the much cheaper Style variant over the L&K. I had some questions for you if you don't mind..

Could you tell me If on your highway journeys you found the headlight lacking in anyway? given the Style does not have presumably superior projectors headlights?
Otherwise, are there any of the features from L&K you really miss having in the Style variant?

Thank you : )
Chiming I’m. I own a style too. Done much of my 9k kms on the highways. Headlights on the style is not lacking. I’m sure the matrix headlights on the L&K are superior but the set up on the Style does a fine job.
Endless.... is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 19:43   #1184
BHPian

I cancelled my Octavia booking and moved it to Kushaq MC 1.5 DSG after Skoda decided to skimp on 11 speaker canton setup in L&K. Frankly I have complicated affinity with Kushaq, I love the 1.5 + DSG, peculiarly the way ecu is mapped in kushaq is completely different to same engine + gearbox combo in Virtus GT, both TD cars had similar 4.5k ODO reading.

Kushaq felt faster and had much more refined shifts over Virtus, This felt almost close to Octavia minus the big 320 nM torque push, albeit a 250nM.

The SA told me there will be face-lift launched for Octavia in 2024, so will save for that
Old 30th October 2022, 19:03   #1185
Senior - BHPian

Simple joys of doing a (Bangalore - Chennai) round trip on a tankful.

Cruise control was deployed to the maximum extent (100 for a major portion, lesser on stretches with lower limits) but constantly deactivated and reactivated thanks to our lanes and traffic behaviour
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-pxl_20221030_083450120.jpg  

GeeTee TSI is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks