Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2022, 23:35   #4306
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

A small update on my XUV700 AT+AWD delivery:

Ever since the delivery date went blank, I had been contemplating contacting Mahindra regarding the same. Since I didn't have their contact number, I tweeted at them yesterday regarding the multiple delivery dates that their system showed and Mahindra failing to honour any one of those four delivery dates. Today, the Area Sales Manager contacted me and I was able to have a long-ish conversation with him regarding the multiple delivery dates. I got to know the date as well, and by now, I'm taking it with a grain of salt. The delivery date for my XUV700 as per him would be by 15th Feb, 2022. However, the car might be billed by Jan-end itself. No idea if it's true or false, I'm taking his word at face value.

I also enquired about whether I might be getting 2022 or 2021 manufactured car in February, 2022. I mentioned that on TeamBHP, I saw a few posts that mentioned people might be getting 2021 cars. He reiterated the same thing that has been posted here that there are a bunch of cars just waiting for the chips to be installed. I asked him to confirm whether I'd be getting a 2021 or 2022 manfactured car - though at this point, I'd just be happy to get the car, whether it was manufactured in December 2021 or January 2022. That about sums it up for my delivery update. I guess we AWD buyers will have to sit tight and wait for another 4 weeks now Though, on a closing note, I'm just hoping that if we're getting deliveries in February, atleast wireless Android Auto might be available for us.
wadewilson is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 00:07   #4307
Senior - BHPian

Any petrol buyers of xuv700 here? Planning to go for one considering less driving per year. How does it perform in cities like Bangalore?
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 00:46   #4308
BHPian

Here, putting up the extracts about the production of the AWD Variant, as found in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
According to my sources the AWD system in the XUV700 is pretty poor when it comes to tackling off road conditions and that's another reason why it was not much highlighted during the media event in Chennai. Mahindra has only given this feature to have an on paper advantage against the competition from MG and Tata. If you are looking at doing anything more than mild off roading then you should wait for the all new Scorpio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
As of now around 1000 bookings have been received for the AWD variant. Also the AWD system from the diesel XUV700 can be easily retrofitted to the petrol variant but because of the miniscule number of bookings received so far, Mahindra may not launch the petrol AWD variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Security_Guy View Post
It really seems painfully surprising that Mahindra hasn't till date put anything about the AWD in their marketing campaign.
Even the 2 cars sent to the Umling La , were petrol ones .

For a many buyers like us who booked AWD in the anticipation of driving in mild off road conditions (Ghats,Himalayas) , the no-show of this variant is sending a negative vibe.

If we look at the current Indian automobile market , XUV700 seems to be the only vehicle under 30 lac OTR having an AWD with monocoque chassis . Shouldn't this be the USP to be highlighted?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
I find something fishy and strange about the AWD variant offered in XUV700. I feel:

(a) Mahindra is not confident of the AWD variant

(b) Will ultimately discontinue it (and give an option to switch variants to the customers who booked AWD) without really releasing it

(c) Limit the production volume of the AWD variant before phasing it out early in the XUV lifecycle.

Allow me to share my observations to back my statements:

1) Not a single, yes not a single Real-world/ showroom review of AWD variant by Youtubers, Auto journalists, fellow BHPians or anyone and that too for a car which is arguably the most Vlogged/Reviewed car in the Indian auto history. For every variant of this car- 5 seaters, 7 seaters, Autos/Manuals, petrol/diesel, base/mid/top and even for all colours- there is a video review available. The only AWD video I came across is the launch drive one, which is too short to really comprehend anything.

2) Most of the people who booked the AWD variant either have got hugely delayed and unreasonable delivery dates or haven't even got one

3) Mahindra never ever advertises its AWD variant in any of its promotional drives- not even in the XUV's Leh drive (it was actually a great tailor-made promotional tool to showcase its AWD capability) or in the Endurance run. In each of these drives, both petrol/diesel variants were part of the programs.

4) AWD is such a huge differentiator for XUV compared to all other cars below 26lacs (barring Thar), yet it amazes me, how can Mahindra not leverage such a huge promotional opportunity

5) Just one variant for its AWD variant! Limiting the AWD to top-end diesel autos mean low volume. Why would the company invest in R&D for such low volume variant '? It beats me

All these points to either the company being unsure of its AWD tech or maybe it's still under development or will be eventually discontinued. I hope my assumptions are proven wrong and we actually get to see a real SUV (one with AWD).
Readers are free to make their own opinion about this variant based on the info available/leaked.

However, as deep as I have tried to dig in, it seems, this variant has never been put to production for the buyers . (Of-course MM didn't just produce 1 car of this variant which was delivered in Gujarat)

A few AWDs were available at the Mahindra Research valley for media (on 18th Aug) and the same lot might have been sent to Dune bashing in the 700th episode of OD. Though, the actual footage of XUV700 AWD doing the dune bashing has never been released (except for the drag race)

None of the car from this variant have ever been reviewed outside of the testing tracks in TN.

If any of the fellow BHPian have any info about the production of these variant, it would help people like us to take a decision, whether to stay or move on!

Last edited by D_Security_Guy : 20th January 2022 at 00:52. Reason: adding missing info
D_Security_Guy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 08:39   #4309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Any petrol buyers of xuv700 here? Planning to go for one considering less driving per year. How does it perform in cities like Bangalore?
My petrol manual giving a return of 10+ within city. I am from Chennai
Enthusiast81 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 10:15   #4310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post
But in actual I got OTF number as well. For sure things don't add up. In conversation with my friend (Mahindra loyalist) who is also IT head, we concluded that like other Indian companies Mahindra ka system fata pada hai.

Attaching snap of email received with OTF and chassis no.
If this is a fake or unintended booking then it can't be canceled, I had an extra booking in my name and have written to Mahindra thrice regarding the same, also tried to explain the whole thing to the so called customer care executives that the dealer might sell the vehicle for a premium and genuine customers will have to wait more. Also received three calls from the dealer and clarified that I have not booked the vehicle but he didn't cancel the booking. Now the vehicle has arrived at the dealership, the dealer would likely sell it for a premium as we wait helplessly for the genuine bookings.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-img20220120wa0000.jpg  

Dark water is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 10:57   #4311
BHPian

Quote:
A few AWDs were available at the Mahindra Research valley for media (on 18th Aug) and the same lot might have been sent to Dune bashing in the 700th episode of OD. Though, the actual footage of XUV700 AWD doing the dune bashing has never been released (except for the drag race)
Why anybody would do dune bashing in an AWD is beyond me.
caffeineAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 11:19   #4312
BHPian

Quote:
Here, putting up the extracts about the production of the AWD Variant, as found in this thread.
Thanks for getting all this in one place, gets me a little concerned with my last min choice of adding AWD. I dropped the L pack for AWD to keep it in budget and my rationale for it was more from safety perspective for better grip and traction on highways with this going to be our family car. I am fairly confident on the AWD implementation from Mahindra given their long experience with XUV 500, what concerns me a lot is if Mahindra has put in enough testing miles on 700 to iron out any issues. Keeping fingers crossed for now and hoping to see few ownership reviews before my delivery comes up.

On a positive note - the AWD has seen the maximum price hike among all the variants, so I am already at least +1.2L at time of delivery
Old 20th January 2022, 11:38   #4313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay007 View Post
Yes please check my entire reply, you will get an OTF number because the booking is real, except that it's not for you and is done by dealer so he can sell the car at better profits to someone else.

However, I believe Mahindra is smart this time and every dealer requires approval from Mahindra to transfer booking. So you might actually be able to claim this booking if you want.
I understand that in cases of cancellation, the vehicle will be reverted to the Company and the Company will decide the net allottee of the vehicle, the dealers have no say in the allotment.
Old 20th January 2022, 11:44   #4314
BHPian

Quote:
If any of the fellow BHPian have any info about the production of these variant, it would help people like us to take a decision, whether to stay or move on!
There is at least 1 production AWD delivery that I've come across on FB groups. Here's a video about it:
Tanmay007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 11:52   #4315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewilson View Post
A small update on my XUV700 AT+AWD delivery:

The delivery date for my XUV700 as per him would be by 15th Feb, 2022. However, the car might be billed by Jan-end itself.

I guess we AWD buyers will have to sit tight and wait for another 4 weeks now Though, on a closing note, I'm just hoping that if we're getting deliveries in February, atleast wireless Android Auto might be available for us.
Thanks for this update. May I know what was your initial delivery date shown on the portal before it disappeared? Chip shortage has become a Go-to excuse for all auto manufacturers I guess. It's been 3+ months now since the booking (one of the initial bookings on the 7th for me) and still no light on the delivery day Mahindra is definitely trying their best to kill the excitement for all the AWD bookings.

I too hope that we get a 2022 manufactured car with all SW niggles sorted and with Apple car play working! I do know from the dealer that they flash the system once it arrives at the dealership.

On another note regarding accessories, I believe there are complaints about the chrome appliques (they don't stick well) and some other things as well. So, I would advice new owners to choose only necessary accessories such as Side-step, rear-bumpers and mud guards. Even the mats seems quite expensive, while better ones are available in the market.

Can someone share a PDI checklist for XUV700? Especially the AX7 L Variant if they have one.
Old 20th January 2022, 12:01   #4316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstar.1 View Post
On another note regarding accessories, I believe there are complaints about the chrome appliques (they don't stick well) and some other things as well. So, I would advice new owners to choose only necessary accessories such as Side-step, rear-bumpers and mud guards. Even the mats seems quite expensive, while better ones are available in the market.
Thanks for the tip, I am also planning to get Side Step and mud guards from dealer. Regarding rear bumpers, is it legal to put on vehicle? For front bumpers there is definitely no as per rule but not sure about rear bumpers.
autoweirdo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 12:35   #4317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay007 View Post
There is at least 1 production AWD delivery that I've come across on FB groups. Here's a video about it: https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=Ck_Qdu9kD04
No AWD badging? Mahindra needs to seriously understand branding and the bragging psychology of the users. You have a variant which is unique and you don't want to differentiate it from the crowd?
I can imagine many (including me) ordering aftermarket AWD badges.
Guna is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 13:44   #4318
BHPian

The AXL7 AWD was not present in the initial variant line-up and was introduced later after their social media got flooded with comments requesting it.

Could it simply be that the production planning for this started later than the others ?

I wouldn't give in to conspiratorial thinking about Mahindra's intentions for the AWD variant. I know several people who have booked it (including myself) and we have all got delivery dates.

People on this forum have a skewed perspective on the popularity of AWD. Most people don't understand that it can be useful even while driving on tarmac and think it is only for off-roading (I was in that category before it was explained earlier in the thread). Even the sales people will say that it is only for off-roading if asked. So, advertising it prominently is not exactly going to set the sales charts on fire I think.
yogishkamath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 18:02   #4319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Planning to go for one considering less driving per year. How does it perform in cities like Bangalore?
My city drives are mostly on the east side of Bangalore where traffic and road conditions force frequent braking. I get 6.5-7kmpl. This is with light foot but somewhat defensive driving. If one weaves through the traffic, one may get better mileage. But with a bigger car comes bigger responsibilities; I drive more responsibly now. Also, since purchase, I used only Shell VPower petrol except a small refill with Reliance.

Last edited by impala : 20th January 2022 at 18:04.
impala is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 22:52   #4320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala View Post
My city drives are mostly on the east side of Bangalore where traffic and road conditions force frequent braking. I get 6.5-7kmpl. This is with light foot but somewhat defensive driving. If one weaves through the traffic, one may get better mileage. But with a bigger car comes bigger responsibilities; I drive more responsibly now. Also, since purchase, I used only Shell VPower petrol except a small refill with Reliance.
6.5-7 seems to be more realistic mileage in Bangalore. Some you tubers claim 10kmpl but the videos are filmed around Delhi. Is it AT that you drive? I assume MT might give 1-2 kmpl extra in my opinion. I am a pure MT lover and will go for AT only if MT is legally banned.

PS: Which dealer did you buy it from in Bangalore? I too am in sort of eastern Bangalore, near Marathahalli, if I say so. Just curious to know about dealer experience and a good service centre.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 20th January 2022 at 23:00.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks