Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2023, 23:07   #8251
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Great car with a deadly combo of 200hp on tap and 6 speed TC. I have seen many times this is the only INDIAN car that can easily cope up with Germans like BMW in Indian roads. Sometimes I see them zip past us X1 which itself on sport mode. I'm impressed with Mahindra on what they have achieved with this particular car. If they can clean up all the niggles and brake/suspension noises this is the best Indian car easily imho regardless of the budget. Nothing else comes close. Add that FE of around 10 kmpl it's also tuned in balanced manner for performance and efficiency.

Last edited by sgmuser : 5th April 2023 at 23:08.
Old 5th April 2023, 23:43   #8252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vins7 View Post
Quick check if anyone got a delivery from Automotive, Jubilee Hills, Hyd. I have an upcoming XUV700 delivery so wanted to know the delivery experience and potential pitfalls.

Cheers,
Vins
I had got mine from them in Dec, 2021. Had an almost smooth delivery experience, They did not force any accessory, insurance etc. They had charged some 8k as handling charge, which they latter reverted after I complained to M&M.
navrai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 08:21   #8253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navrai View Post
I had got mine from them in Dec, 2021. Had an almost smooth delivery experience, They did not force any accessory, insurance etc. They had charged some 8k as handling charge, which they latter reverted after I complained to M&M.
I will take the delivery early next week so this is very timely. Thanks.

Can’t wait.

Cheers,
Vins
Old 6th April 2023, 09:48   #8254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukka12 View Post
https://Youtu.be/jA5FyT7aCso

Powerdrift conducted a drag race between petrol and diesel XUV700 where the diesel won by a good margin, both times! This is quite baffling since everybody who has driven both gave a different opinion than what the result shows.
A win-win for diesel owners then. Mileage, range, load carrying capacity and most important of all, the performance.
For petrol, 200 ps kicks in at 5000 rpm while in diesel, the key power is at 3500 rpm. The key here is that the gearbox upshifts before hitting 5000 (I cant think of the source but given the way Faisal reviews cars, it might be him). So those 200 horses might never wake up. Pretty big statement but I hope someone on the forum owning petrol versions can attest to the upshifting logic.
ramradcliff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 10:05   #8255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
Great car with a deadly combo of 200hp on tap and 6 speed TC. I have seen many times this is the only INDIAN car that can easily cope up with Germans like BMW in Indian roads. Sometimes I see them zip past us X1 which itself on sport mode. I'm impressed with Mahindra on what they have achieved with this particular car. If they can clean up all the niggles and brake/suspension noises this is the best Indian car easily imho regardless of the budget. Nothing else comes close. Add that FE of around 10 kmpl it's also tuned in balanced manner for performance and efficiency.
You have to experience them in M&M's proving track near Kancheepuram, which is accessible to general public through Mahindra adventure program for a price. They run these vehicles like XUV, ScorpioN and Alturas too around that high speed track at ~ 200 kmph on a regular basis, even through those tight banked curves, wherein your internal organs are looking for new places to rest.

Yep, nothing else comes close for sure.
Kosfactor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 11:07   #8256

Quote:
I will take the delivery early next week so this is very timely. Thanks.

Can’t wait.

Cheers,
Vins
All the best Vins, you will love this car. I would suggest to do a home work on insurance and keep the docs and approvals ready, before the delivery you can ignore their insurance and put yours for the registration process, the difference for similar insurance is huge (for me showroom gave a quote of 1.3 and I got mine from HDFC Ergo at 65K, same coverage).

Also, for regular servicing needs I am thinking of switching to Neon, I don't like the quality and attention of Automotive workshops.

Can anyone in HYD please share their service experience with Neon/Automotive/VVC, mine is due for 10K service.
Old 6th April 2023, 11:12   #8257

When I started driving, I was told that the AC has to be switched off before turning off the car to keep the car healthy for longer by avoiding the compression load at ignition.

Is this still the case? Do we have to manually turn it off? or is this scenario handled by the microprocessors?

I checked with the Mahindra Service Engineer few days back, he said "it's not mandatory, but would definitely be good if you can turn it off". Does this mean it still affects the vehicle/battery health if the AC is not in OFF state at Ignition?
Old 6th April 2023, 15:27   #8258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navrai View Post
All the best Vins, you will love this car. I would suggest to do a home work on insurance and keep the docs and approvals ready, before the delivery you can ignore their insurance and put yours for the registration process, the difference for similar insurance is huge (for me showroom gave a quote of 1.3 and I got mine from HDFC Ergo at 65K, same coverage).

Also, for regular servicing needs I am thinking of switching to Neon, I don't like the quality and attention of Automotive workshops.

Can anyone in HYD please share their service experience with Neon/Automotive/VVC, mine is due for 10K service.
Thanks for the inputs. I have everything ready and have taken couple of quotes which the showroom said will match but they didn't ask for the quotes yet.

Couple of questions:
1. Handling charges is something which i will ask to reverse
2. Also, I believe we could negotiate on labor charges for accessories installation. And accessories cost should be same as online costs.

Also, while I am looking forward to next week, the recent price increase of 60k has been a bummer. Since I booked, the cost of the vehicle has gone up by almost 3L.

Regards,
Vins
Old 6th April 2023, 16:10   #8259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkie_ View Post
When I started driving, I was told that the AC has to be switched off before turning off the car to keep the car healthy for longer by avoiding the compression load at ignition.

Is this still the case? Do we have to manually turn it off? or is this scenario handled by the microprocessors?

I checked with the Mahindra Service Engineer few days back, he said "it's not mandatory, but would definitely be good if you can turn it off". Does this mean it still affects the vehicle/battery health if the AC is not in OFF state at Ignition?
Vehicles that came with factory fitted AC did not need such measures even back in the day, but of course it was perhaps unceremonious to let the AC start along with a cold engine, even I used to follow that.

In newer cars I do not follow such things, the only thing I am particular about is that I want the vehicle to enter ignition mode - see the warning lights come and go, meter console to finish the song and dance, infotainment system to boot up etc before I fire up the engine.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 16:40   #8260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No - the onboard computer will not cover for it. If your AC was left ON / ACC was set to a pre-defined temperature lower than ambient temperature - the AC compressor will engage the moment the engine starts. The advise about switching it off after previous drive - is simply about minimizing the load on the engine at cold start in every possible way.

Whether it really will help the longevity of the engine in the modern era, I don't know. But I definitely follow this every single time, in all my cars. AC off when I'm idling the car before shutdown. And AC ON - after driving for a kilometer or so in fact. During this time, I let the windows be open, for some fresh air exchange after being stationary for a while in the parking.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 18:10   #8261

The AX7 vs AX7 L and Petrol vs Diesel Dilemma

I have booked an XUV700 AX7 Petrol AT - It is showing a delivery date of August 2023, in the portal. The reason for the choice was that AX7 seemed to be the more value for money between the two variants and Petrol seemed to be the more future-proof between Petrol and Diesel.

However, as it gets closer to the delivery date, I am having second thoughts on both these fronts -

AX7 vs AX7 L
AX7 L - Some features I think have become table stakes for this segment since I booked are - 360 Surround View, Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop and Go, and Passive Keyless Entry. I also like the continuous digital video recording facility.

Is it worth upgrading to AX7 L?

Petrol vs Diesel
The petrol mileage within the city seems to be 6 KM/L while Diesel has 16 KM/L. Despite the risk of a future Diesel ban, this mileage difference seems to be too much to ignore.

Is it worth moving to a Diesel?

Any guidance is highly appreciated.

I am OK waiting for a few more months if these two changes make sense to get the delivery.

Thanks for your guidance in advance!
Old 6th April 2023, 18:37   #8262

Quote:
Thanks for the inputs. I have everything ready and have taken couple of quotes which the showroom said will match but they didn't ask for the quotes yet.

Couple of questions:
1. Handling charges is something which i will ask to reverse
2. Also, I believe we could negotiate on labor charges for accessories installation. And accessories cost should be same as online costs.

Also, while I am looking forward to next week, the recent price increase of 60k has been a bummer. Since I booked, the cost of the vehicle has gone up by almost 3L.

Regards,
Vins
1. Handling is not valid so you may face some resistance but be firm and they will remove.
2. Labor charges are more and not practical, what I did was to take the delivery without any accessory, latter I bought most accessories online from Mahindra's website. I called Automotive and asked them to install one major accessory like footsteps from them. In the workshop I got this installed at their rate, and requested installer to install the online ones by paying some tip.

I think you should get at the booked rate and not at increased rate. Call the agent to get more details.
Old 6th April 2023, 18:58   #8263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
In newer cars I do not follow such things, the only thing I am particular about is that I want the vehicle to enter ignition mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
But I definitely follow this every single time, in all my cars.
I used to: Engine on >> idle for a minute >> AC on >> drive AND AC off << idle for a minute (to save turbo) << engine off << park.

The issue with this otherwise-OK pattern is, the AC compressor has its own clutch. When you switch off and on AC, every time the AC clutch gets engaged and disengaged. This could eventually lead to a clutch failure. It happened in my Duster, fortunately the car was under warranty. Narrowly escaped from a bill of 40K approx. for replacing the entire compressor.

I now use the pattern only when I take the cars out in the morning. After that it is always on till I reach home. Only one ON/OFF per day.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 6th April 2023 at 19:00.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 19:06   #8264

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonShot View Post
Is it worth upgrading to AX7 L?
This is a totally personal choice. If you can miss out on those extra features and not regret later. You could go ahead with AX7. You cannot have them installed after market. I would recommend you to take your time to think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonShot View Post
Petrol vs Diesel
The petrol mileage within the city seems to be 6 KM/L while Diesel has 16 KM/L. Despite the risk of a future Diesel ban, this mileage difference seems to be too much to ignore.

Is it worth moving to a Diesel?
I have an AX7L Diesel AT, the mileage I get in the city is around 11kmpl on the cluster. I have only covered 600 kms so far. This figure is in normal traffic conditions, not bumper to bumper.
The decision to go with Petrol/Diesel would depend on how much km's you are covering in a year. Note that you don't have drive modes in Petrol version.

I myself booked AX7 P AT initially, and then decided to stretch budget and changed the booking to AX7L P AT. Since I did not want to miss out on those comfort features.

As I was closing in on my delivery, I decided to change it again to AX7L Diesel AT mainly due to the fact that I'll be driving from Trivandrum to Bangalore at least 4-5 times a year.
darkie_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 19:20   #8265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
The issue with this otherwise-OK pattern is, the AC compressor has its own clutch. When you switch off and on AC, every time the AC clutch gets engaged and disengaged. This could eventually lead to a clutch failure.
Interesting, that stokes my curiosity. IIRC, even if the AC was left ON previously - it doesn't just "continue" operation on next crank. At least in the cars that I have used, after the engine cranks and idles - the AC relay clicks after some seconds to then actually engage the AC. So I used to think the clutch engages afterwards.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks