Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2022, 11:58   #4156
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

I just checked the on road price of both XUV 700(top diesel) and Toyota fortuner (top diesel) in Bangalore. Xuv 700 is just a thousand less than 30lakh while fortuner costs 54.5 lakhs. What a time to be alive. We get a lot more car anywhere else in the world:

It's almost as if the government wants to punish car owners. Really sick of this taxation policy. I study GST as a part of syllabus and get this, government considers car as a sin good. As in owning one is harmful for the society. I wonder if they have any actual scientific basis for this conclusion.

If a person is earning 60lakh annual income, his total taxes including surcharges and excluding deductions will be 18,44,700. His average tax rate will be 30.745%. Let's take average tax rate at 27% since almost everyone will do some sort of tax planning.

So to buy an XUV 700 you need to earn 41 lakhs and to buy Fortuner you need to earn ~75 lakhs. I really hope my math is wrong here. But this is the reality ladies and gentlemen!
Siddarth_Ramani is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 12:09   #4157
Senior - BHPian

Really Mahindra? For a car which is launched just 3-4 months back and people are not getting it due to high demand, you can't do such steep hike in price IMHO. You should have waited for few more months and price hike should be below 50K. I am sure lot more people will cancel their booking now.

Tata must be smiling. This will make sure people will go for Harrier-Safari combo more. Harrier looks good bet now over XUV700 in 5 seater version avatar.
Old 12th January 2022, 12:24   #4158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto_Nar View Post
Very few mechanical issues are reported by owners on various forums, major issues seems to be software related issues. . . hope this wait is prolonged to get 2022 manufactured vehicle and the niggles fixed.
Yes, hoping for that. Earlier it seemed like we would be getting 2021 manufactured cars but now I guess we'd be getting 2022 ones which will have relatively less niggles with the prevailing mechanical issues ironed out already as per ram87pune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokk0912 View Post
My suggestion would be to continue with the booking.. You will at least have to pay 2 lacs extra by the time you get delivery sometime in 2023 for any new bookings. Any niggles will have to be fixed by Mahindra. In today's world, they just can't afford to not do so.
Yes, you are right in that regard as Mahindra has been quite proactive in listening to customer grievances and fixing issues. I'll do a thorough PDI of the car as and when it arrives, if all is well, I guess I'll take the plunge. It's either that or waiting for 2 more years to get delivery due to the high customer demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
You are not going to get the delivery before feb 10th - which in most likely scenario to be the 2022 mfg car and a relatively niggle free one. The reason I say this is because my L AWD has moved slowly from Dec 4th 2021 to Jan end 2022 and continues to move further...
A Feb delivery would be alright by me, as you mentioned the car would most probably be a 2022 mfg car and be relatively niggle free at that. I guess my AWD booking would also be moved ahead once the 4th estimated delivery date, 8-15 Jan, 2022 is crossed. We AWD folk seem to be having to wait the longest for our cars, lol. I saw two XUV 700s in my town - one petrol and diesel, both AX7L and felt a minor heartburn that I still have longer to wait

Quote:
About the hardware - the most dreaded thing for me is - even though I have experienced their support being top-notch, the rattles can't be avoided. It is scary shit! I did some modifications on my XUV5OO for audio/ damping, dashcam, etc. and I tell you I can't live without volume being above 5 bars.
This was also a concerning point when we decided to take the plunge and book our first Mahindra. The Hyundai Creta which I drive has been absolutely rattle free despite being driven in some non-existent roads here in rural part of our North East. I hope that the XUV 7OO would atleast be rattle free as well because that's one thing I hate the most in our Toyota Innova. Fingers crossed in this regard. Also thank you for sharing your experience with me regarding your XUV5OO. It gives me a fair idea of what to expect and be prepared.

Quote:
By the way, the battery drain issues is to do with batteries and less with electronics - some of the information being shared indicates that the batteries were sitting on shelf for long time... hoping this is true

The display panels going blank - could be hardware or software or both! Keeping an eye on what we hear about those issues and how they are being resolved. The facebook groups are going crazy over these updates....
Thank God. I hope that's true and the batteries are just drained. If this is true, then it's a simple matter of getting a replacement. Also regarding the display panels, please share if they are getting resolved on those groups. Would be a huge relief for us. Anyway, here's to more days of waiting and anticipation
wadewilson is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 12:29   #4159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Really Mahindra? For a car which is launched just 3-4 months back and people are not getting it due to high demand, you can't do such steep hike in price IMHO. You should have waited for few more months and price hike should be below 50K. I am sure lot more people will cancel their booking now
Actually I expect the reverse. Think about it, if you have booked and your delivery date is in 2023, you are pretty angry and in two minds should you wait or cancel. Now comes the news - Hey all those who book or purchase now will have to pay more, you may think twice before cancelling. Besides SAs are already telling customers dont worry, you will get it earlier than anticipated. So its a win win for Mahindra.

I want to ask this question again if someone can please help here
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
What I am wondering really is - unlike in other cars where after a full discharge, you can still open the doors with the physical key, how would one open the XUV700 with a physical key with these plush handles ? We would need to atleast unlock the bonnet to connect to the battery right ?
swarnava.ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 12:42   #4160
BHPian

I have booked Petrol automatic. While I am realistic about turbo petrol mileage figures, I am confused on the actual real world mileage . People are quoting anything from 5-6 kmpl to 14 kmpl. I have a mental stop on 9kmpl. Anything below it in any condition (barring chronic traffic jams may be and pedal to metal driving) is a strict no for me.
I booked petrol for it's 200 bhp, refinement, NVH. It also justifies my yearly running (less than 8000kms). But now thinking to cancel it and go for diesel automatic.

Last edited by StepUP! : 12th January 2022 at 12:46.
StepUP! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 12:57   #4161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
I have booked Petrol automatic. While I am realistic about turbo petrol mileage figures, I am confused on the actual real world mileage . People are quoting anything from 5-6 kmpl to 14 kmpl. I have a mental stop on 9kmpl. Anything below it in any condition (barring chronic traffic jams may be and pedal to metal driving) is a strict no for me.
I booked petrol for it's 200 bhp, refinement, NVH. It also justifies my yearly running (less than 8000kms). But now thinking to cancel it and go for diesel automatic.
To be realistic, don't expect double digit figures from petrol motor for city use. Mahindra anyways not popular for petrol engines, so be ready for mileage of 7-8 in city. It's a powerful motor so can't expect more. If you want good mileage, just go for diesel. Mahindra is known for diesel engines, you will get gem of a engine and also good resale value. So you will not lose anything what you pay more now for a diesel engine.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 13:00   #4162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piy12b View Post
I believe the price hikes will come as niggles settle down and probably some features too get added once chip shortages ease.

Separately, I believe that the petrol engine used is probably more powerful than needed and I wonder about fuel efficiency of the same, especially for the automatic variants.
I believe this debate has been put to rest. People, including Bhpians have been reporting an average Fuel Efficiency ranging from 11-14 Kmpl which is satisfactory in my honest opinion. A 2.0L Turbocharged 200 BHP Petrol motor giving 11-14 is very good in my honest opinion. As far as the petrol engine being too overpowered, I mean, how many people would've liked a 1.5L on it? I believe only the mileage loving ones. You expect a SUV to be power laden just at the touch of your foot, and any compromise on that in favor of fuel efficiency is pure blasphemy of the automotive gods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Security_Guy View Post
Increased prices for January 2022 can be seen in the Booking section
The price-increase range from 50000-80000 (Ex-showroom).
I mean, my initial reaction on seeing the hike was a big "Ooof". Comparing to the 7th October introductory prices, prices have gone up by 1,15,000 for some of the top end variants. But, to be honest, it was an In-your-face kind of a thing that was bound to happen considering the price revisions Mahindra followed in Thar's case. So, that "Ooof" subsided pretty soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay007 View Post
Actually those who booked on first day and got delivery dates of June and beyond have the best deal. Locked pricing with enough time to get initial niggles fixed.
Well, that just puts me in the sweet spot. Having booked on 7th October only and a delivery in June 2022, it seems I'm getting the best of both worlds. No price hike plus a comparatively niggle free vehicle. Waiting for 9 months doesn't seem all that bad now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty1 View Post
For AX7 D MT the price difference between that of 7th Oct'21 and that of today is 1,06,359 INR to be exact. This is appalling.
And here, I was being highly judgmental of Mahindra for offering an overpriced Luxury pack at 1.8 lakh rupees. For the variant I have booked, the price difference is close to 1.01 Lakh rupees, compared to the 7th October prices. It certainly is a big jump no doubt about it. I believe a lot of people will be introspecting now, who have booked without the price protection and a lot of cancellations on the horizon as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Can M&M really compare themselves to German car makers selling petrols since eons?

They've only just launched the first petrol engine they've developed, and we have read info of issues by @ram_87 on the forum.
The question is who is comparing M&M to the Germans or Europeans at large. Are they competing in the same price band? I don't think so. Does M&M offer a competent petrol mill having better power figures than say a Skoda Kodiaq? I believe so. I mean, even the diesel motor is chugging out power figures in the range of a Toyota Fortuner, which costs double the price of a XUV.

See, simply because it's their first petrol engine, doesn't warrant a comparison with Germans and I'm unable to find a reason as to what is the basis of this comparison. If one follows Ram87pune's sneak-peeks, surely they are facing some minor issues but how proactively they are working on it speaks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewilson View Post
In two minds about the booking now, wondering whether I should cancel, lose price protection and book later when niggles are fixed or whether I should go ahead and take delivery, as and when Mahindra gives the next delivery date.
Wade, by the time, you decide to book again, prices will be up by another 50k-70k and in my opinion would sit there until a facelift is launched. Indeed the niggles are being reported, but most of them are purely software based which can be corrected with comparative ease. Till now, no major hardware issue has been reported and that is a very good news, when compared to rival brand launches.

What I would suggest is weigh in your options on your booking, having price protection, which won't be delivered by February at least, meaning a 2022 manufactured vehicle. As far as the niggles are concerned, my XUV5OO was having a ton of them back in 2012-13, but Mahindra unlike Tata has been responsive in addressing these issues and I have used that vehicle for close to a decade, and that says a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewilson View Post

I saw two XUV 700s in my town - one petrol and diesel, both AX7L and felt a minor heartburn that I still have longer to wait
My supply of Eno Antacid has been tripled since a dear friend of mine has got his hands on his AX7L and remembers to bring it everytime we meet. Jokes aside, it's as they say, "Good things happen to those who wait". And we should wait a while, if this good thing comes with 190bhp and 400+ torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Other option (which is a normal thing to do) is to take away some of these features and keep these variants reasonably priced.
I believe this won't happen simply because Mahindra does not intend to keep the MX variant for long. MX would soon see the Axe, either by this year's Diwali or when a facelift is launched. If anyone has owned or followed a XUV5OO, you know what I'm talking about. Mahindra follows this practice of introducing a base model purely for the shocking sticker price and soon either discontinues it or makes it so bare-bones that hardly anyone buys it. Considering there's no detuned version of the petrol engine and the base variant itself comes riding on 200 horses, MX would soon meet the axe and AX3 would be the new base variant, and believe me, that too will not be reasonably priced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
What I am wondering really is - unlike in other cars where after a full discharge, you can still open the doors with the physical key, how would one open the XUV700 with a physical key with these plush handles ? We would need to atleast unlock the bonnet to connect to the battery right ?
So to answer this question in brief, the flush door handles are not locked mechanically shut, in the sense that they can still be moved despite the vehicle being locked, that is, the handles like in every other car can move without opening the car if it's locked. In case of a battery drain, either the main one or that of the keyfob, one can simply pull the handle and insert the flip key into the manual key slot hiding behind the door handle on the driver's side. Then, one can proceed to open the bonnet and do the necessary. Hope this answers your question.

On another note, I would state one fact. You see, back in 2019, when I wanted to upgrade my 2012 XUV5OO to the recently facelifted 2018 one, the On-road price that I was being offered for the W11(O) in my home state was around 21.50 Lakhs. Considering almost 3 years have passed since then, and with the price hikes owing to the pandemic, I will be getting my 2022 XUV7OO AX7L for close to 24 Lakhs On-road. A completely overhauled vehicle for a 3.5 Lakh increment, having more power and torque, more features and comforts and the superior ride quality compared to the body roll laden XUV5OO, would be completely justified. However, as far as this price hike goes, I'm not too in favor of it but a lot of us knew that the prices were too good to be true and there would be significant hikes, given the poll we had on the earlier XUV7OO thread, which stated the price to be somewhere in the range of 19-25 Lakhs. Seems like Mahindra has taken heavy inspiration from that poll.

Last edited by Moto_Bear : 12th January 2022 at 13:14.
Moto_Bear is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 13:16   #4163
BHPian

People who are in the first 50,000 bookings and want to own an XUV700, hold your bookings. Prices have increased around 1 Lakh for every model since launch and I expect it to go up even further before they launch the updated Scorpio. This is a comparison chart I was maintaining.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-xuv700-prices.png

The top-of-the-line AWD luxury pack now costs more than 30 Lakhs in my state. Considering the pricing of newer launches, price hikes for existing models, and the exorbitant tax structure (GST & RTO) I think one can expect it to go up even further

A few noteworthy points
1. New prices won't be effective until the first 50,000 deliveries are made. I don't expect it to be completed before August-September this year (most optimistic estimates)
2. Hopefully they have added the latest prices to the website as an indicator to the folks who make new bookings now and they haven't shared it with RTO yet. If they have shared it with RTOs already, people will have to pay more taxes.
3. I'm hopeful of the above point since they haven't updated the prices on the main website yet. It is visible only on the booking configuration page. People who book now can expect deliveries only in 2023 anyway.
4. People who booked on 8th, and still got price protection for 7th are the luckiest bunch I feel. They get around 6 months to iron out any minor initial niggles, still get the best prices. (I haven't seen any major niggles other than the clickbait videos on youtube. They are blown out of proportion anyway)
The Alchemist is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 13:47   #4164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Really Mahindra? For a car which is launched just 3-4 months back and people are not getting it due to high demand, you can't do such steep hike in price IMHO. You should have waited for few more months and price hike should be below 50K. I am sure lot more people will cancel their booking now.

Tata must be smiling. This will make sure people will go for Harrier-Safari combo more. Harrier looks good bet now over XUV700 in 5 seater version avatar.
I`m not sure who will be smiling but you`ve got to see Tata`s pricing, only a true Tata fan can now look at the pricing and then go get one of those vehicles.

Now for a visual. This is how Carwale lists their price. The AX7 - 7 STR Diesel Automatic is 25.67L and it has ADAS while being 1.3L cheaper than a 5 STR Harrier so even if there is a price increase, it still does not change the value proposition.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-xuv-harrier-safari-1.jpg
Kosfactor is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 14:47   #4165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay007 View Post
Actually those who booked on first day and got delivery dates of June and beyond have the best deal. Locked pricing with enough time to get initial niggles fixed.
Thats exactly what I wished for.
I booked AX7L D MT black on 7th.
Since it was last minute added variant and black is taking maximum time, I'm sure I'll get 2022 manufactured car. The tentative month given to me is April May

I would love to be delayed further if it means a better niggle free car

This drama is really having twists and turns.

People were happy to book on 17th
some of us unhappy who weren't able to do so
They were happy again while booking on 8th as they received price protection.

Suddenly they were unhappy because of the international algorithm and delayed delivery dates.

Then came the preponed dates and people smiled again.

After initial niggles reported they are happy for long waiting periods

Now many are afraid of preponed dates.

I don't know how many ups and downs this Bollywood movie would bring

Lets hope we'll all have a happy ending though
sudanmohit is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 16:04   #4166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I`m not sure who will be smiling but you`ve got to see Tata`s pricing, only a true Tata fan can now look at the pricing and then go get one of those vehicles.

Now for a visual. This is how Carwale lists their price. The AX7 - 7 STR Diesel Automatic is 25.67L and it has ADAS while being 1.3L cheaper than a 5 STR Harrier so even if there is a price increase, it still does not change the value proposition.
Value can be different to different people. I am no Tata fan but still booked my first Harrier. If I were looking for 7 str then XUV700 had value. But in 5 str variants it doesn't.

Also time has value. Waiting period is a buzz killer.

By the way the models that you have compared will have the same price or Harrier cheaper (XZA+, XZA+DT) as XUV700 is up by 70k and Harrier has 20k+ discounts. So same price.
Metallicar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 18:50   #4167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2258569
It's individuals choice. Not many people want to wait for 6 or more months for a car to be delivered. Also Harrier is a settled product now in market with almost all issues sorted whereas XUV700 is still very new. We all know how Mahindra vehicle can have many issues in first year of purchase.

Also lookwise, Harrier is better than XUV700, individual choice though. Harrier looks proper SUV which is not the case for XUV700, it's more of a MUV look. Again, it's my own opinion, others may have different views
aniketi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 19:36   #4168

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post
A few noteworthy points
1. New prices won't be effective until the first 50,000 deliveries are made. I don't expect it to be completed before August-September this year (most optimistic estimates)
2. Hopefully they have added the latest prices to the website as an indicator to the folks who make new bookings now and they haven't shared it with RTO yet. If they have shared it with RTOs already, people will have to pay more taxes.
3. I'm hopeful of the above point since they haven't updated the prices on the main website yet. It is visible only on the booking configuration page. People who book now can expect deliveries only in 2023 anyway.
4. People who booked on 8th, and still got price protection for 7th are the luckiest bunch I feel. They get around 6 months to iron out any minor initial niggles, still get the best prices. (I haven't seen any major niggles other than the clickbait videos on Youtube. They are blown out of proportion anyway)
I doubt that Mahindra shall wait for clearing 1st 50k bookings before effecting the price hike. It's strange why the current price hike is announced if they have the intention to honour all their bookings with price protection first. It's not going to increase their revenue, but only going to increase the road tax of current buyers. This should only discourage fresh bookings. I agree that customers with price protection and the 2022 model are best placed, but increased road tax has to be borne by them.

Last edited by navin : 14th January 2022 at 16:51.
Old 12th January 2022, 19:50   #4169

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The prices of the lower variants were simply unsustainable. The newly launched Kodiaq (190 HP, 320 NM) which costs 35+ lakhs ex-showroom, does not get a petrol engine as powerful as the XUV 700 MX Petrol (200 HP, 380 NM), though it costs 3 times as much!

The base MX and AX3 variants are well loaded with 4-wheel disc brakes, independent rear suspension, FSD, virtual cockpit (AX3) etc., which you will not find in any other cars in this price range. It is not possible to deliver so much content under 15 lakhs ex-showroom for any manufacturer and I expect the MX and AX3 to get some more stiff price increases in the coming months to enable M&M to break even.
All your points are bang on. In the given situation the MX petrol should be the most sought after varient. What surprise me is that it's in least demand having the lowest waiting period as told by my dealer. The power and ride related specifications in MX, at this price range are too mouthwatering. I guess now the buyer preference is more towards looks, features and fuel economy even in SUV's, that's why even higher varients of all compact SUV are in greater demand. Yes I do expect MX varient to be axed soon.
gauravkaushik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 20:45   #4170
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 | Long wait times for deliveries

Obviously Mahindras' CFO is bound to have FOMO. Even if production ramps up to about 10,000 units per month, & chips are plentifully available post August-2022, they'll still likely fall short of demand till Q4 of 2023.
Quote:

True. Time really has attractive value, so IMO maybe Mahindra should do something like this : sell 70% of units produced at regular prices & 30% at a much higher price - give it a name too, like the "AX7LQuick" variant.

There'll always be both kinds of people : Those who are ok to wait a year for a planned purchase, as well as those ok to pay more for quick delivery. Hard to tell how the market works & how Mahindra decides to address it.

The earlier concept of a compromised "AX7Smart" variant was misplaced. Feature deletion should be avoided, it simply erodes their brand value - nobody will trust if the features of the 2022 Scorpio at the time of launch will be the same features as at the time of delivery.

Posting my 2¢ here since it's not purely about the car itself.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 12th January 2022 at 21:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks