Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2011, 16:54   #3166
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Need to know one thing: Fiat doesnt manufacture 90HP in silver. But if one places a custom order for a silver 90HP, will Fiat manufacture for that customer?
Silver=minimal grey.
And second-to those who own exotica red puntos: Hows the paint quality overall? And is it easy to maintain and does it retain its shine even after heavy abuse?
Sid,
I own the Exotica Red, wash it weekly. The swirls are there, but the paint job is awesome, shines like new after every wash.
Its 10 months old and almost 23K on it.
Old 16th February 2011, 17:02   #3167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reisender View Post
Folks,

Did someone upgraded their headlights for GP e+? Few questions
1) Best choice to go (no warranty denial for relay cuts others)
2) Cost of the choice
3) If possible night time picture to show the output (I know it's too much)

Planning to upgrade them in my GP

Thanks,
R
Reisender,
Yes I have upgraded to 90/100. It voids the electrical warranty.
It costs around 1300 (450 for bulbs-GE & 850 for relay)
Yet to share my beauty in T-Bhp. Sorry mates, little occupied with few photos taken.

The spread is almost the same as original, but the intense is great.
If you drive long distances often, I would suggest for an upgrade.
Great difference, during bad weather - Rains & Highways.
Old 16th February 2011, 17:09   #3168
Senior - BHPian

I get my car washed everyday. Is it recommended?
Or a weekly wash is better?
I feel a dry wipe everyday will lead to more scratches. So I was him to sprinkle the car with water first then clean it.
Old 16th February 2011, 17:43   #3169
Senior - BHPian

Took second test drive of Punto with my wife.
Since we are both short (wife is 5 feet in height and I am 5 feet 4 inches tall), we both had difficulty in finding a good driving position.
The seat height adjustment is there, but there are three issues for both of us:
1. the clutch pedal play is very long.
2. since we need to move the seat in front, so that the clutch can be fully depressed, the position of the gear knob becomes awkward. If we want a good position we need to shift the seat back, but that will prevent us from pressing the clutch pedal completely.
3. the max height of the seat still fails to give us good enough visibility (this is where Figo scores over most other cars!). However this is not a major show stopper.

The sales guy suggested that we
1. press the clutch only till about 80% - no need to press is completely.
2. add some cushioning on the driver seat and then add seat covers so that the height can be raised further.

Please share your thoughts.

Last edited by S_U_N : 16th February 2011 at 17:44.
Old 16th February 2011, 18:28   #3170
Distinguished - BHPian

Grande Punto front most point is not visible even for a guy as tall as 6'3"
My colleague is 6'2", my bro-in-law is 6'3" and I'm 5'7". All three of us cannot see the front most part of the car...even if we try to stand and see it.

That's why I always keep saying to my colleagues that this car is very difficult as a first car.

The visibility might be the least compared to the competetion I felt.
Even the A Pillar is teh biggest in this segment I feel.

Compared to the drive this can be compromised if we drive a bitmore carefully.

This is what I feel. Your decision is anyways final
Old 16th February 2011, 19:32   #3171
Senior - BHPian

True, even I am a short guy, and its not possible to see the extremes of the car. The height adjustment does not go high enough for us short people. And with the really large turning circle of the Punto, it is a slightly more difficult to drive than most other cars, considering this is just a hatch.

Also the A-pillar is considerably thick, takes a bit adjusting to and the front quarter glass are of no use from the visibility point of view. They are just there from the design point of view, but i guess its the design which attracts most Punto owners in the first place.
Old 16th February 2011, 20:04   #3172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
2. add some cushioning on the driver seat and then add seat covers so that the height can be raised further.

S_U_N, I suggest you take another test drive of the car, and check if pressing the clutch till only about 80% works . ( Iam doubtful )
Also use a cushion / pillow during this drive to check whether the cushioning affects the ergonomics.
Old 16th February 2011, 20:16   #3173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. the clutch pedal play is very long.
You need not press it all the way. 70-80% depressed is good enough. The long clutch is a boon in traffic blocks.

Quote:
3. the max height of the seat still fails to give us good enough visibility (this is where Figo scores over most other cars!). However this is not a major show stopper.
For some reason, you would not be able to see the very front end of any car. Once you are used to driving, there would be a calculation of how long your front end is.

Quote:
He is correct. 70-80% is enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Grande Punto front most point is not visible even for a guy as tall as 6'3"
I don't think that would be visible to any one, unless he stands (which is impossible).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
The visibility might be the least compared to the competetion I felt.
Even the A Pillar is teh biggest in this segment I feel.
A-Pillar is an issue in most cars these days. I felt it was worse in the WagonR (I had a 2002 model WagonR).
Old 16th February 2011, 22:31   #3174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-one View Post
S_U_N, I suggest you take another test drive of the car, and check if pressing the clutch till only about 80% works . ( Iam doubtful )
Also use a cushion / pillow during this drive to check whether the cushioning affects the ergonomics.
He showed me a demo where he pressed the clutch pedal around 80% and changed the gears - mind you, this is with engine in off condition.

Question: Does this practice not impact the gear box or any other mechanical part in any way?

As far as pillow is concerned, well, I am not sure if this would be a good solution - it is at best a workaround only. I think it would give less comfort on longer drives (e.g. under-thigh support will be reduced?)
Old 17th February 2011, 12:48   #3175
BHPian

A pillar is a bit wide in a punto, you can almost miss a autorickshaw or a two wheeler when making a right turn, doesn't affect that much while making a left turn thou. Its just a matter of getting used to, one can always look through window and front windshield in successions to avoid it.

Regarding front visibility, one shouldn't worry about it as long as one is driving straight. If you have to keep distance as long as you can see the front vehicle's tyres (much better) or bumper than your vehicle is quite far. Actually its always a best practice so that there is enough room in the front to get out by making a turn if the front vehicle breaks down or gets stuck. I know in some car you can even see the cars front, but it hardly matters. If one is so concerned then they should buy a maruti omni instead.

Now coming to making U turns and turns, one has to judge the cars overhangs on the sides
Old 17th February 2011, 13:14   #3176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Well the only car in which you can see the front of your car is Nissan Micra.
The record was of course held by FIAT Padmini. You can see all the four corners of the car.

I will take the cushioning part of seats with a pinch of salt. Can totally wreck havoc with the sitting posture. Better take more test drives before you decide.
Old 17th February 2011, 13:46   #3177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsan02 View Post
A pillar is a bit wide in a punto, you can almost miss a autorickshaw or a two wheeler when making a right turn, doesn't affect that much while making a left turn thou. Its just a matter of getting used to, one can always look through window and front windshield in successions to avoid it.

Regarding front visibility, one shouldn't worry about it as long as one is driving straight. If you have to keep distance as long as you can see the front vehicle's tyres (much better) or bumper than your vehicle is quite far. Actually its always a best practice so that there is enough room in the front to get out by making a turn if the front vehicle breaks down or gets stuck. I know in some car you can even see the cars front, but it hardly matters. If one is so concerned then they should buy a maruti omni instead.

Now coming to making U turns and turns, one has to judge the cars overhangs on the sides
@Samsan You ahve put my thinking in the perfect words possible.

During my 1st month with punto I maintained less distance as I used to do in my earlier 800.
In an incident the car in front of me avoided a fairly large stone and since I was close to him, It was invisible and I went over that stone.
After that experience, I maintain a fair distance in front of me.
The dowside of this is that two wheelers squeeze past that gap. But now I've become tolerant.

Regarding the A Pillar, Places where the road intersects as a "V", I'm more careful because, as samsan said, we could easily miss an autorickshaw.

I always keep saying to my wife that this car is designed for europe where all the above issues hardly come up.

Its only a matter of time that we get used to this beauty.
Old 17th February 2011, 14:30   #3178
Senior - BHPian

I think its a matter of getting used to the vehicles dimensions. I am FIVE feet and a few inches but have no problems driving the Punto. It gives me a wonderful seating position and a meaty steering wheel and a great MID!!

Infact its as wide as my MM540 which has the best visibility and presence ONROAD
Old 17th February 2011, 15:20   #3179
Senior - BHPian

Guys, the front visibility or the A pillar blind spots are relatively smaller issues compared to the biggest issue - if we move the seat in front so as to depress clutch pedal completely, the gear knob position becomes very awkward.
Pulling the seat behind gives better position for handling the gear knob, but it makes it difficult to depress the clutch 100%. We have both learnt to press clutch to the floor before changing gears. Looks like we have to unlearn that first.

I doubt if there is a 5 feet tall person here who is enjoying his/ her Punto.
Old 17th February 2011, 18:33   #3180
mxx
BHPian

Did you guys see the punto evo in uk site?

Fiat New Cars & Used Cars | View New Fiat Car Models | Fiat

I like the interior of this one better. Are we going to get this anytime soon?

Last edited by mxx : 17th February 2011 at 18:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks