Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2010, 23:19   #721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX Overdrive View Post

100 Km Uphill - It just won't climb on a hill with AC on, it fails to move even an inch if you put it in 2nd gear (steep hill, 45 degree angle atleat). You have to shutdown the AC to make it move. That was ridiculous.

100 Km Downhill - Found a manufacturing defect. Was taking the benefit of gravity, was driving on Neutral (engine on) and using just the breaks, it made squeaking noise every time I put on the brakes, as the duration of pressing the break is more on downhill driving compared with normal highway breaking, it made continuous squeaking noise and was quite loud. When back on plains, the noise just went off!! Don't know what could have caused it. drove around 100 more Km's since then, but no noise.
Dude! 45 degrees is a lot of gradient. Where did you encounter that? It isn't a diesel vehicle, don't expect monstrous torque from it.

If you feel that the vehicle will struggle with an incline at a gear, always downshift instead of lugging or riding the clutch.
For example I always take all mall parking ramps in the first gear, even though I know 2nd gear would do the job too.

Whenever you drive in the hills, avoid coasting.
As people have rightly pointed out, the lack of braking from the engine and the excessive use of the brakes had them overheated. Always stay in a gear that will let you trundle down at a reasonable speed. It will offer a lot more control to counter any situations that might arise.

Cheers and drive safe!
Old 19th April 2010, 12:11   #722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Dude! 45 degrees is a lot of gradient. Where did you encounter that? It isn't a diesel vehicle, don't expect monstrous torque from it.

If you feel that the vehicle will struggle with an incline at a gear, always downshift instead of lugging or riding the clutch.
For example I always take all mall parking ramps in the first gear, even though I know 2nd gear would do the job too.

Whenever you drive in the hills, avoid coasting.
As people have rightly pointed out, the lack of braking from the engine and the excessive use of the brakes had them overheated. Always stay in a gear that will let you trundle down at a reasonable speed. It will offer a lot more control to counter any situations that might arise.

Cheers and drive safe!

You have to see for yourself, 45 degree is the least I'm talking here, Morni Hills and the Nahan Hills are one of the steepest, upto 60 degrees. And my issue here is not the torque alone, its the AC which make things worse. Driving in 2nd gear was fine, but definitely without AC. Handling was superb on the hills. I think it would act better on hills after a couple of services, hope to see a better pickup then.

Thanks for the point you've mentioned regarding Overheating of the breaks due to coasting, ofcourse it makes sense but I've been doing it all this time on my i10 irde, never faced any braking issues, no noise ever. Ditto for Alto and Santro. Have any of you guys ever faced such an issue?
Old 19th April 2010, 19:05   #723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You have to see for yourself, 45 degree is the least I'm talking here, Morni Hills and the Nahan Hills are one of the steepest, upto 60 degrees. And my issue here is not the torque alone, its the AC which make things worse. Driving in 2nd gear was fine, but definitely without AC. Handling was superb on the hills. I think it would act better on hills after a couple of services, hope to see a better pickup then.
Can you elaborate how you are saying handling is superb.
Old 19th April 2010, 19:53   #724
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the point you've mentioned regarding Overheating of the breaks due to coasting, ofcourse it makes sense but I've been doing it all this time on my i10 irde, never faced any braking issues, no noise ever. Ditto for Alto and Santro. Have any of you guys ever faced such an issue?
you will never find 45 degrees on an indian road.
45 degrees means a change in elevation of 1 meter for every meter travelled.
i dont think any passenger car would climb 30-35 degrees let alone 45 degrees.
Old 19th April 2010, 20:19   #725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
Exactly.

45 deg gradients are possible with proper off roading vehicles.

I drive through hills in the Shivalik regularly, and I have never faced anything greater than around 30 degs. That too was a U-bend.

PS:
@Nitrogary: HOT garage! *envy*

Last edited by EssYouWe : 19th April 2010 at 20:21.
Old 20th April 2010, 10:00   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
I fully agree with nitrogary and EssYouWe.
We can't find a 45deg in any of our roads.
MAX Overdrive, it may be due to an illusion by which the person driving feels that the uphill ahead is a 45deg climb. In reality the angle will be much less than what we assume.
Generally I find most of the underground parking exits are with high angles, but no way near 45deg.
If at all your Beat manages to climb 45deg, then it is very good.
Old 20th April 2010, 10:09   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
I fully agree with nitrogary and EssYouWe.
We can't find a 45deg in any of our roads.
MAX Overdrive, it may be due to an illusion by which the person driving feels that the uphill ahead is a 45deg climb. In reality the angle will be much less than what we assume.
Generally I find most of the underground parking exits are with high angles, but no way near 45deg.
If at all your Beat manages to climb 45deg, then it is very good.

First of all, the person who drove the beat at '45 degrees' has got to understand that the road roller which rolled the tarmac has to fo the same first!

Any way, anything more that 30degrees is higly unlikely for a tarred road!
Old 20th April 2010, 11:58   #728
BHPian

I knew this would be coming from all you enthusiasts, thats why I said - you need to see for yourself to believe it.
Travelling to Shimla, Manikaran, Manali is nothing compared to these hills (Morni and Nahan esp.) Thats the reason Beat won't move an inch in 2nd shift with AC on.
Old 20th April 2010, 14:50   #729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Can you elaborate how you are saying handling is superb.
These hill ranges require extreme swerving....Beat took it incredibly well, body roll was evident but only on downhill as that time the speed was quite much compared to uphill. It was a very comfortable ride, I never felt that the narrow road was getting riskier on the turns. Steering was effortless.

Had some issues with breaking, but that was completely my fault, was coasting throughout the downhill ride. Overheating breaks made some noise.
Old 20th April 2010, 17:17   #730
Senior - BHPian

Nahan?

The Himachal one?
If this is true, then it is remarkable that your beat was able to make these inclines!
And I want pics, this is one road I would love to drive on!
Old 20th April 2010, 21:01   #731
BHPian

Quote:
Nahan?

The Himachal one?
If this is true, then it is remarkable that your beat was able to make these inclines!
And I want pics, this is one road I would love to drive on!

Yes, it comes in Himachal.

Try driving from Kala Amb to Nahan and from there to Poanta Sahib. Its an awesome drive, you'd love the natural beauty and the steep drive.
Old 20th April 2010, 23:38   #732
Senior - BHPian

I do that almost 6-7 times every year. Did that last to last week.

It does NOT have 45 degree gradients mate!

I have done the stretch on a Santro and a Scorpio 2WD. I have been traveling on that route for over 10-15 years with my family and my dad has done the stretch in a fully loaded 800.

Please do not think any less of the Beat for not being able to pull on with the AC at crucial points in the second gear. It isn't a diesel after all!

PS: That's really close to my home, do gimme a holler if you are around there sometime.

Cheers!
Old 21st April 2010, 18:24   #733
BHPian

Quote:

I have done the stretch on a Santro and a Scorpio 2WD. I have been traveling on that route for over 10-15 years with my family and my dad has done the stretch in a fully loaded 800.

Please do not think any less of the Beat for not being able to pull on with the AC at crucial points in the second gear. It isn't a diesel after all!

PS: That's really close to my home, do gimme a holler if you are around there sometime.

Cheers!

Thanks buds, will drop by soon.

However, I've seen a few instance of 45 degrees steep during that drive, thats when the beat failed to move with AC on, it simply stopped, wont move a inch. Anyways, no point beating the bush. I still feel highly about this car and have made 3 of my friends buy it.
Old 22nd April 2010, 00:27   #734
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it comes in Himachal.

Try driving from Kala Amb to Nahan and from there to Poanta Sahib. Its an awesome drive, you'd love the natural beauty and the steep drive.
I agree completely,The whole drive is simply superb.I did it last year.The trip was a looong one.
Indore-Gwalior-Delhi-dehradun-Rishikesh-Haridwar-Mussoorie-paonta sahib-nahan-solan-Chail-kasauli-back to doon via kala amb and naha then all the way back to indore via same route.it's really a great place (himachal) for a beautiful drive.

Quote:

Cheers!
Even i wonder where he found such steep inclines on kala amb nahan route.Nowhere does the route has such inclines.30-35 degrees max.In fact i took the other route (the less trodden path) via nahan to solan(really bad road) and that did have some steep inclines,but only a couple 40 degree ones.None as steep as 60 degree or so.

By the way,I didn't find any special ICE section for beat and read on this thread about someone getting speakers on the front door.I was wondering that there's more than enough space for pretty good size speakers on the rear doors.I am no expert,so wanted to knoe whether getting speakers mounted there would be a good idea?will the sound quality be good?and what about warranty?I'll not get any wires cut as the shop walla said.he'll use connecters etc. to connect it with the wiring of rear speakers.need advice from all you experts.
Old 22nd April 2010, 08:46   #735
Senior - BHPian

One thing which I think is missing in this entire thread is some photo's of Black color car. I think I have booked the most uncommon color.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks