Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2011, 13:28   #2401
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
what you are saying is true but seriously what makes you feel that Anhv is a disaster when it comes to handling? This has been posted all over the forum. But what you are ignoring here is that upto speeds of 100 there is hardly any difference. Very rarely some people will go in excess of those speeds. What people actually like is all the added goodies. Ask the vento owners on the forum and everyone will say they miss basic features like aux etc. so on top of this they are randomly deleting stuff from the car without telling the customer is not a great idea in my opinion.

I am sure what you are saying is correct as I do not have much knowledge regarding the life of the oil. But if vw says that its not needed before 15k then I am going with them on this. I feel the company would know whats best for there car.

A polo 1.6 tdi will be great but how many buyers will it get. Already so many people upgrade to vento because of the small price difference. If you narrow it down further I dont think it will sell much.

ICE they should surely provide as an option for upgrade. Thats almost criminal.

Cant agree more. The beauty lies within . News for those who have booked recently and waiting for delivery. With the omission of leather wrapped steering wheel and chrome on the steering VW is offering 5000 off . So not a bad deal anyways.
Old 9th July 2011, 14:48   #2402
BHPian

Went to VW showroom today to find out what was going on with all these changes to Vento. The sales guy did admit to it but tried to downplay it by calling them minor things. On being asked about the rumored newer version of Vento, he said it would come in 2012 and there was nothing newer planned for 2011. He seemed kind of sure about it. He didn't know what the changes would be though.

Also gave him the feedback about aux-in and steering-mounted controls again .
Old 9th July 2011, 23:20   #2403
Senior - BHPian

Spotted a Vento with Xenon Headlamps today. The car looked extremely cool. I think cars with simpler lines look better at night. Specially this car was looking awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
Agreed that the vento has close to zero lag and a superb engine. If its handling, then look no further than the linea or the new fiesta. Also the steering in the vento has no feel. Oh yes, and the engine makes a huge racket.
Fiesta and T-Jet may have better handling capabilities. But the difference is only marginal. I am sure the Vento's handling will be even better just by upsizing the tyres.
In fact Stock Vento handles better than some cars which are a segment above. Like Corrola, Cruze. Save the Laura. It is a completely different machine altogether.
Old 10th July 2011, 12:04   #2404
BHPian

For the vento, i think the biggest challenge is that it's a stretched polo for the indian market with a boot. The steering feel and loud engine could also be turn offs for some when you compared to super refined engine of the verna.

This was fine when there were no real diesel competitors (Verna/Fiesta etc were a generation older). Honda city a much better car was also severely overpriced and didn't have a diesel.

Things have changed now and i will be surprised if people still go for the vento in large numbers. The fiesta and verna seems to be very good and vento is in trouble unless they vw gets their act together.
Old 10th July 2011, 13:03   #2405
Senior - BHPian

Can you elaborate a little more on this? Is this official?

Is it only on the new bookings (after 1st July when the new price came into force?) or those who are awaiting delivery for the bookings made prior to this period?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondacity View Post

Cant agree more. The beauty lies within . News for those who have booked recently and waiting for delivery. With the omission of leather wrapped steering wheel and chrome on the steering VW is offering 5000 off . So not a bad deal anyways.
Old 10th July 2011, 14:03   #2406
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
For the vento, i think the biggest challenge is that it's a stretched polo for the indian market with a boot. The steering feel and loud engine could also be turn offs for some when you compared to super refined engine of the verna.
The steering feel and engine of verna is better then the Vento ? I thought the only place where Verna had an upper hand is the slightly better equipment level. Looks are subjective so you cant count that in a comparison. Vento is the best driver's car out of the two by some margin. Everyone including the official TBHP reviews maintain the same.
Vento looks much more then a Polo with a boot common. The boot is so perfectly aligned with the rest of the body. Labelling it as a polo with a boot is not fair.

Plus you can't compare VW's Quality with Hyundai. A.S.S is surely an issue with VW.

Quote:
Things have changed now and i will be surprised if people still go for the vento in large numbers. The fiesta and verna seems to be very good and vento is in trouble unless they vw gets their act together.
The NFS is not a high selling car so I doubt its going to create much ripples through this already crowded segment. The numbers will be evenly divided between the 3 cars. ANHV might sell a little more because of the proven long term reliability. Let the original hoopla around the new launches die down and then we can analyse things better.

Last edited by drmohitg : 10th July 2011 at 14:06.
Old 10th July 2011, 14:22   #2407
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
The steering feel and engine of verna is better then the Vento ? I thought the only place where Verna had an upper hand is the slightly better equipment level. Looks are subjective so you cant count that in a comparison. Vento is the best driver's car out of the two by some margin. Everyone including the official TBHP reviews maintain the same.
I believe these difference exist because of the way the TD has been done or where the owners are driving their Verna/Vento. In a slow moving traffic, I found the Verna (so did a few of my TD-ing friends) slightly better off.
But on an empty road, the thrill (of the power) of the TDi engine beats everything else. Also try handling the Verna on curves at 60-70, and you might not feel so confident. It's small things like these that'll differ.
Finally it's upto the individual choices what people like in the car. Hence I doubt this comparison will ever end.

Quote:
The NFS is not a high selling car so I doubt its going to create much ripples through this already crowded segment. The numbers will be evenly divided between the 3 cars. ANHV might sell a little more because of the proven long term reliability. Let the original hoopla around the new launches die down and then we can analyse things better.
Quote:
I think we need to wait for a few months to get this clear. IMO all three cars would be soon doing 2k+ cars once the initial hoopala dies down. Doubt if any one of them would hog the C (diesel) segment completely considering the clear differences in all 3 cars.
Old 10th July 2011, 15:07   #2408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The steering feel and engine of verna is better then the Vento ?
Many like the super smooth steering & prefer to have silent cabins. Even the extra engine noise comparatively can be termed as not so good engine ..Verna specs are very good in paper & I guess Verna appeals to bulk of the people. After Sales Support coverage is only next to Maruti. You can handpick the people, who can notice the difference in handling between any two cars. As you rightly pointed out, I don't think NFS is going to make any dent in Verna sales unless its priced very aggressively. Now there are alternatives for Vento in that segment, its a real challenge for VW to sail past those competitors.

My first preference in that segment is Vento Diesel, but lonnggg delivery time kept me away from it. Include the scary VW experiences people have posted here. Somehow Iam not hooked to ANHV & ended up booking a NFS.

Last edited by Surprise : 10th July 2011 at 15:09.
Old 10th July 2011, 17:07   #2409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
My first preference in that segment is Vento Diesel, but lonnggg delivery time kept me away from it. Include the scary VW experiences people have posted here. Somehow Iam not hooked to ANHV & ended up booking a NFS.
Hey congratulations on the NFS. Apart from that rear it looks a very attractive car. I absolutely love the front end styling. Have the prices come out?
Old 10th July 2011, 19:08   #2410
Senior - BHPian

I am done with the monsoon checkup - got it done yesterday . Overall a pleasant experience at the workshop from the booking to the ontime delivery. Most important activities done were the ECU check/update , battery checks , oil top-ups , coolant top-up, wiper fluid top-up - I was shared the reports where I asked for and checked the top-ups . It was perfectly done. Engine seems smoother now especially the idling note and the hardness of the clutch is gone . The workshop also did rubber mark removal from the bumper as well as fixed a rattling loose parking sensor unit inside the boot on my request without any fuss . Till date my experience in the workshop has been very good .
The most remarkable aspect is that the body does not have a single squeak after more than 8K kms of use over 4 months, I am thrilled that the build quality is as good as I expected it to be and the suspension even better than I had expected . I use the Bombay Port trust toll road from Chembur everyday to go to Fort and folks who travel through that road would know what kind of chassis punishment I am talking about - there are sections where the road is completely absent . So I am happy that life, beyond the dumb unresponsive bunch of jokers calling them sales persons at the VW showrooms, is actually turning out to be pretty cool as I clock the kms and enjoy the insane pull shamelessly in empty sections of road.

Quote:
Thats quite a leap of faith on the NFS since its price is not known and most importantly ( from your perspective) delivery schedule is clearly undefined . If I am not mistaken you booked it even before the dates of the launch of NFS was confirmed, maybe you would have got lucky with the Vento delivery date !
Good luck mate, will keep a close watch on your NFS ownership thread as I am sure it would one of the first on the car .

Last edited by souravc : 10th July 2011 at 19:33.
Old 10th July 2011, 20:03   #2411
Senior - BHPian

Menage a trois - Verna CRDI vs SX4 DDIS vs Vento TDI - Comparison Tests : Overdrive

Quote:
what makes the Vento stand out is its high speed stability and composure, cruising on the expressways this car has the feel and maturity of a much a larger, heavier and more substantial car that is firmly planted. The engine, transmission, suspension combination works very well and you do enjoy driving this car more than any other in the segment. The steering on the Vento is brilliant, light in the city and gains weight when the going gets faster, and with just 2.8 turns lock to lock, is comfortable and convenient in the constricted urban areas.
Quote:
So if a driver’s car is what you need the Vento fills that need brilliantly. It’s fun, has confident road manners and enjoyable dynamics and it’s a car that’s well suited to both self driven or chauffeured owners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
you booked it even before the dates of the launch of NFS was confirmed, maybe you would have got lucky with the Vento delivery date !
Actually, I was not happy with FORD, brilliantly playing with the dates and kept pushing it from May end 2011 to mid of July 2011 (1.5 months). Iam sure it takes another 2 weeks from here to get the delivery (0.5 month).

But on the other side, interactions with VW SE's were not encouraging. Their constant answer is 6-7 months for VENTO top end. Infact, when one of their SE mentioned the delivery can be managed in 3-4 months, I asked him to collect the order, after verifying the spare prices for couple of parts directly with the spare department. But he backtracked saying that he never committed anything like that on delivery time (3-4 months)
Old 10th July 2011, 21:11   #2412
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But on the other side, interactions with VW SE's were not encouraging. Their constant answer is 6-7 months for VENTO top end. Infact, when one of their SE mentioned the delivery can be managed in 3-4 months, I asked him to collect the order, after verifying the spare prices for couple of parts directly with the spare department. But he backtracked saying that he never committed anything like that on delivery time (3-4 months)
@Surprise - Have you confirmed the delivery dates with anyone who has recently been delivered a Vento in Chennai?
Here at Pune (& Mumbai) the delivery period has reduced considerably. A friend of mine had booked vento 4 months back, he got it in around 2.5 months waiting time.

I had booked it in June first week giving blue & black as the color choices. I was offered black about two weeks back. I had opted for blue, and I have been told that I'm next in line. I'm expecting it to come by this month end hopefully (no commitment from the dealer on the date). What I understand is the bookings have reduced considerably thanks to the Verna & still-to-be launched NFS.
Also someone on the forum had posted about his delivery in 15 days few days back. I really doubt Chennai VW would still take 6-8 months in the coming months. Please do check again, if possible do drop a mail to VW to re-confirm.
Old 10th July 2011, 21:43   #2413
BHPian

are the new ventos coming up with an improved steering setup by any chance? I had test driven the vento around the time when it was launched and the steering definitely lacked feel. the overdrive review has got me thinking since we will be looking at a sedan to replace our santro in maybe 6 month's time. While the grunt was there the engine was not refined and was audible. I regularly drive a fiesta tdci(the classic)and figo tdci and the comparisons were with those for the refinement of the engine and the steering feel.

The new verna is super silent in comparison to the vento.

Last edited by vishnurp99 : 10th July 2011 at 21:46.
Old 11th July 2011, 15:26   #2414
Senior - BHPian

OT:

Yesterday, came across an ad for used VentoD HL, in HINDU classifieds section. Price quoted is exactly the price of a new car & advantage quoted is "Immediate Delivery" ...should have been a perfect deal, if managed to get the deal done directly with the seller.

EDIT: Also there is another ad few weeks back something like 'VENTO-D HL immediate delivery". Spoken to him to find out that 25K advance to be paid & he transfer the booking done by him. Says the car will be delivered/registered within 3 weeks of our color choice from Coimbatore dealer. Didn't pursue it, since it was from Coimbatore.

Last edited by Surprise : 11th July 2011 at 15:35.
Old 11th July 2011, 15:43   #2415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OT:

Yesterday, came across an ad for used VentoD HL, in HINDU classifieds section. Price quoted is exactly the price of a new car & advantage quoted is "Immediate Delivery" ...should have been a perfect deal, if managed to get the deal done directly with the seller..
and I thought cars are fast depreciating assets in nature

Quote:
EDIT: Also there is another ad few weeks back something like 'VENTO-D HL immediate delivery". Spoken to him to find out that 25K advance to be paid & he transfer the booking done by him. Says the car will be delivered/registered within 3 weeks of our color choice from Coimbatore dealer. Didn't pursue it, since it was from Coimbatore.
Mate I strongly believe that there is something amiss with one or all the VW dealers at Chennai else why are they quoting such stretched waiting periods ? 6-7 months is certainly not correct , it would not be more than 3 months . One of my friends has booked a black TDi HL a week back and he is getting it in 3-4 weeks max (in Mumbai)!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks