Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2006, 10:28   #226
ECM
BHPian

When emotion takes over the mind,hero becomes zero

and same applies with Zidane as well.He looked upset the moment his header stopped by the G.C and he was roaring like an old lion at that moment.What exactly went wrong with Zidane and Marco Materazzi exactly we may able never know but all in all it is sad that he lost his nerves and did a nice header on the chest of Italian.From this very moment whilte jersies were in trouble and this happens when your worship hero is only one and not more than one!(like in Brazil's case they have many heros).France G.C Barthez looked slacky and stagnant most of time and here I remember Portugal's G.C whom I belive the best in the world to stop penalties.Italian won due to age factor as France looked tired in the extra time to me.One of the best final match after 1986 to me when Germany eqalised in the last part of the match but Argentina won it 3-2.
Old 10th July 2006, 11:05   #227
BHPian

one of the most crappy final World Cup. the ball was just shuffling in the air from this goal to that very less moves from either side. This is the worst part when teams of real calibre get out and team like Italy takes the cup. but then thats reality.

One of the best Header - Zidane on chest of Marco Materazzi. obviously the italian must have said something very personal to get the ice kewl zidane knock off the dude.
same treatment was missed by Christiano Ronaldo from Rooney.

best "realterm"matches - Germany / Italy & Germany / Portugal

Last edited by ajmat : 10th July 2006 at 11:23.
Old 10th July 2006, 11:08   #228
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations to the Italians. Though I wont say they deserved to win..there is one winner at the end ..and Italy it is.

Though France got the 1st goal...Italians equalised in 12 mins and dominated the half but 2nd half onwards it was France all the way..Henry missed a couple of chances and Ribery missed one too....and in extra time the header from Zidane was saved by Buffon....And then what happens.....the coach substitutes Ribery and Henry. Trezequet comes in for Henry and misses the penalty I couldnt understant the reason for the substitution as it was clear that the match was heading for a penalty...and then Zidane butts his heads and gets a red card....

Whatever anyone says..there has to be enough provocation for Zidane to have done that. He is known for his cool and I have never seen him simulate too...so I give the benefit of the doubt to Zidane ...and besides the Italians arent saints themselves. But what a sad end to a brilliant career , Zizou couldnt even come out to take his medal......

Germany - Argentina was the match of the tournament

Grosso's goal for Italy against Germany was the GOAL OF THE TOURNAMENT FOR ME ...Schwienstieger's twin strikes against Portugal coming in a close 2nd.

Now that its over..time to catch up on some much needed SLEEP.
Old 10th July 2006, 11:36   #229
Senior - BHPian

Hurray! Italy is the new World Champs! They deserved to win the match, they missed 2 near goals, one off by Luca Toni's header onto the post and then Luca Toni again heading the ball into the net, but ruled out off-side, which i thought was close call & referee shud have given the striker benefit of doubt.
Though I supported Argentina to lift the Cup, am happy my 2nd favourite Team lifted the Cup!
Sad end to Zidane's career, but a senior and experienced player like him should have kept the cool.
Goal of the tournament : Maxi Rodriquez's Goal against Mexico.
Match of the tournment : Germany vs Italy
Player of the tournament : Andrea Pirlo and Cannavaro.
Old 10th July 2006, 13:57   #230
BHPian

Spectator of the tmt: Schumacher watching Germany vs Portugal

BTW, did anyone realise the semi-final German vs Italy was like Schumacher vs Ferrari?
Old 10th July 2006, 14:00   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM
.......What exactly went wrong with Zidane and Marco Materazzi exactly we may able never know but all in all it is sad that he lost his nerves and did a nice header on the chest of Italian..
Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marco_Materazzi

2006 World Cup

Materazzi was a member of the Italian national team who won 2006 FIFA World Cup.
Materazzi scored, coming from the bench as a substitute to Alessandro Nesta, the first goal in Italy's game against the Czech Republic, a towering header from a corner. In the following match, the Round of 16 against Australia, he received a straight red card, and was suspended for the following match.
He also featured prominently in Italy's World Cup Final game against France, first causing the penalty that put France ahead, then scoring a headed equalizer from a Pirlo corner kick. Later in that game he was involved in an off-the-ball incident; he is said to have racially insulted Zinedine Zidane, to which Zidane responded by headbutting Materazzi in his chest.This incident might have also happened because Materazzi insulted him by his religion.[2]
Old 10th July 2006, 14:19   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
GO ZIZOU GO
Congratulations for the most perfect spot on prediction.

Zizou went for sure.
Old 10th July 2006, 14:28   #233
BHPian

Well..............it was a story of two headers from Zidane each in 1998 and 2006.
In 1998,his two headers went straight into Brazil's goal and France won the WC 1st time.
Now in 2006 one of his header was brilliantly saved by Buffon and his 2nd header hit Italian player,materazzi and France couldn't win the WC this time.

As i wrote before,Italians were playing very good football[except match against Australia] and deserved to win the WC which they did in style.They were so dominant in 1st half that they could have finished the match then only.My heartiest congratulations to Itally!!!!!!

Materazzi was invloved in all the major incidents of the match as sharathjeppu pointed out along with Zidane.

And what a shame that the best player of the decade received red card for his behaviour in his last match,the fact now he has to live his rest of the life.
Old 10th July 2006, 14:33   #234
Senior - BHPian

Strange things do happen. Congrats to Italy on their win. Though they are not the best team, I applaud them for the determination with which they clung on till the last moment. The fact that they had to contend with the ghosts of "match fixing" (Juventus and some other clubs are seemingly involved in this) would have demoralised them to an extent. They overcame all that and went on to win the tournament. Another thing worth mentioning is that they do not posess stars like England, Brazil or France do. I can draw parallels to the Newzealand cricket team. All that mattered was team spirit and determination and Italy showed that. Kudos to them. Yes, I had written earlier that they did not deserve a place in the quarters, but all said and done, they did well.
Old 10th July 2006, 14:46   #235
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech on 29th June 2006, 17:07
AND Italy will take the Cup home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy on 29th June 2006, 17:55
Rt if that happens - a whole months beer quota on ME
Hey NC....tell me the time and the place where I can pick up my month's supply of beer

Last edited by Rtech : 10th July 2006 at 14:48.
Old 10th July 2006, 15:44   #236
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Hey NC....tell me the time and the place where I can pick up my month's supply of beer
Rtech, U sure are one hell of a lucky guy .... hope u do build up a healthy belly by teh end of the month ... !! NC , seems u've had it now

As for the match .... Italy shud have won it in the 90 minutes of play time but were slightly unlucky !! But gud for us that it went all the way .... longer match = more time 4 beer .

IMHO , Argentina played the best soccer followed by Germany --- These 2 teams were plain lucky to be in the finals by playing super crappy soccer !!! There is no doubt that Ger vs Arg was ' THE MATCH OF THE TOURNAMENT '

Anyways ... its over and its the Cricket WC that comes up next --- !!!! Then we have our country to cheer for ... even if they play hopelessly ....

Cheers
Old 10th July 2006, 16:06   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75
Anyways ... its over and its the Cricket WC that comes up next --- !!!! Then we have our country to cheer for ... even if they play hopelessly ....

Cheers
Hey Khaddu,support any cricket team but India.
Old 10th July 2006, 16:44   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75

Cheers
Who wants to watch Cricket now, with all the mess and dirty politics in Indian Cricket?
Rather, watch the EPL starting in August and await the next mega event - Euro'2008!!!
Old 10th July 2006, 16:48   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Anytime mate for beers ....
Old 10th July 2006, 18:01   #240
Senior - BHPian

ZINADINE ZIDANE has won the FIFA Golden Ball Award as the Most Outstanding Player of this World Cup, inspite of being sent off in the finals.

Awesome !! A standing ovation from me to this genius

Source - Click Here

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks