Old 24th May 2018, 02:48   #1771
BHPian

Re: The Football Thread

Arsene of Arsenal to Emery of Emirates?

I will show myself the door.
Old 30th May 2018, 11:00   #1772
BHPian

No posts on the awesome result in the CL final? Fantastic show from Real Madrid and I'm delighted they won (United fan, and massively favour Real in La Liga, so on both things - Real winning and Liverpool losing, I loved it!). Saw Madrid live at Barcelona (2-2 draw) and Sevilla (3-2 loss) a couple of weeks before the final and was super-impressed with their movement. They're just at a different level when they go up the gears. And that Bale goal... What can one say? Immense. Just disappointed CR7 didn't score, but hopefully his continued excellence in the CL and his overall record (44 goals for the season for RM and 52 including for Portugal) will see him win the BdO yet again! Take that, Messi!

And now, this promises to be a fantastic close season for the transfers. All the major clubs (barring the smaller ones like City) need to spend and rebuild! Plus, Bale seems to be on the market - and now, apparently, so is Lewa. Will be interesting. Emery (loser) at Arsenal makes sense (status quo in terms of a manager that bottles the big games) but Sarri at Chelsea should spice things up!
Old 30th May 2018, 13:31   #1773
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by imidnightmare View Post
No posts on the awesome result in the CL final? Fantastic show from Real Madrid and I'm delighted they won (United fan, and massively favour Real in La Liga, so on both things - Real winning and Liverpool losing, I loved it!). Saw Madrid live at Barcelona (2-2 draw) and Sevilla (3-2 loss) a couple of weeks before the final and was super-impressed with their movement. They're just at a different level when they go up the gears. And that Bale goal... What can one say? Immense. Just disappointed CR7 didn't score, but hopefully his continued excellence in the CL and his overall record (44 goals for the season for RM and 52 including for Portugal) will see him win the BdO yet again! Take that, Messi!

And now, this promises to be a fantastic close season for the transfers. All the major clubs (barring the smaller ones like City) need to spend and rebuild! Plus, Bale seems to be on the market - and now, apparently, so is Lewa. Will be interesting. Emery (loser) at Arsenal makes sense (status quo in terms of a manager that bottles the big games) but Sarri at Chelsea should spice things up!
Awesome result? Other than the flash of brilliance from Bale and the howlers from Karius, there was nothing much to separate between the two teams. And CR7 was just a shadow going around. Great experience for the young Liverpool team.

Next season will be interesting in EPL – I expect City to continue on top, with Liverpool and ManU with a much changed/better setup. Boring or whatever, I am actually looking forward to Emery’s Arsenal as well!
Old 30th May 2018, 17:10   #1774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Awesome result? Other than the flash of brilliance from Bale and the howlers from Karius, there was nothing much to separate between the two teams. And CR7 was just a shadow going around. Great experience for the young Liverpool team.

Next season will be interesting in EPL – I expect City to continue on top, with Liverpool and ManU with a much changed/better setup. Boring or whatever, I am actually looking forward to Emery’s Arsenal as well!
Did you actually watch the game? After Salah went off, it was pretty much all Madrid, barring the Mane goal. Was just a matter of when and how many Madrid would score. Liverpool never looked like they were in it and kept getting pinned back further and further. Madrid absolutely dominated them and were deserving winners. There were times in the second half when it was like men v boys in the midfield and Madrid's CBs were actually in the center circle as all 11 pool players camped within their own third of the pitch. After the 65th minute, this was just an exhibition, really.

Great experience for Liverpool - losing crunch games and finals is something they should really get used to under Jurgen "You'll Never Win Anything" Klopp.

Next season -

1. Man United: Getting Dalot and Fred will likely be excellent business - but also shows they're saving for the really big buys - purchasing one RW, one LB and one CB after these is almost inevitable, but the prospect of also landing one more (SMS as CM?) / a marquee signing (Mbappe if PSG face sanctions under FFP?) is tantalising. Will be there or thereabouts and a title challenge is expected - even if not a win.

2. City: Adding Mahrez will be good business. If Sarri gets Jorginho to Chelsea though, Pep may well rue letting go of Fred (if he completes his move to United) as DM is an area they need to strengthen with Gundogan seemingly made of glass.

3. Chelsea: Sarri will undoubtedly strengthen them and Chelsea have developed a pattern of yo-yoing from crap season to title alternately the past few years. Keep Hazard and get a proper striker and this will be a good year for them without the CL pressure.

4. Spurs: Kept Poch which is the best news for them. Don't expect anything more than another Top 4 push; if they lose Eriksen to Real, they could well fall short.

5. Liverpool: Will be more of the same. Klopp has never coached a decent defence and only won titles in the two years when Bayern literally were a shadow of themselves. Will entertain in some games and fall well short as usual. Maybe a couple of decent Cup runs if they get decent (read: easy) draws like in this CL.

6. Arsenal: Will fight for 5th/6th. Emery has an atrocious record against big teams and big managers. Will beat Klopp probably and may even get the better of Poch in 1 game, but won't threaten the top 4, if history is anything to go by.

And that's the forecast as on date. Should revisit after the transfer window closes!
Old 30th May 2018, 19:03   #1775
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Did you actually watch the game?
I did watch the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imidnightmare
Great experience for Liverpool - losing crunch games and finals is something they should really get used to under Jurgen "You'll Never Win Anything" Klopp.
The early signs are pretty good for Liverpool, with two quality signings already. I see Liverpool as a serious challenger for the title. On the contrary I expect Jose to remain angry and grumpy with a 3rd or 4th next season as well.
Old 31st May 2018, 14:12   #1776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The early signs are pretty good for Liverpool, with two quality signings already. I see Liverpool as a serious challenger for the title. On the contrary I expect Jose to remain angry and grumpy with a 3rd or 4th next season as well.
Fabinho - unsure how good he is - simply because of his own issues. Started as an RB, and then shifted to DM; but has said he'd like to play RB as he doesn't see himself displacing Jorginho (Man City), Fred (Man United) or Casemiro (Real Madrid) of course for the CM slots in the Brazil team. Am unsurprised that City and United have opted for J and F, leaving Fabinho to Liverpool. Possibly a squad player? Unless he's seen as a (marginal) upgrade on Henderson. The other signing - Keita - should be a good addition, I'll agree.

I don't see Liverpool threatening for the title though. Will have some good runs of wins, but will come unstuck given Klopp's style. He refuses to coach the defence and has a history of teams that tire by the hour mark or so given the press. Works in Cup runs, but not in the league. Anyway, that's just my opinion, so feel free to differ.

Another point - how will he do without Buvac? Buvac has been credited with the style that Klopp's teams play and with the training etc. Not sure how the team will do now that he's gone. Big season ahead for the Floppmeister ("Lost 6 Times").

United - again promises to be a tantalizing season. Fred should be a done deal and the links to Dalot are astonishing, but great news. Same for the links to Golovin. Very exciting to see players of this profile - young, technical and very quick. Also, if (as is expected) United do land Sandro, I expect a decent upgrade. That still leaves the room for the potential arrival of Toby Alderweireld of course - which I see as essential (CB needs massive strengthening).

What will decide whether United finish first or second (behind City) though is going to be the RW signing. It's clear United are going for one - Griezmann links are resurfacing and there's the annual Bale saga to look forward to. I don't know if either is the target, but Jose had said he expected a big signing this summer (said this even last December!) and so, I'd expect quality here. Should this addition pan out as planned, I think United will be set for a title challenge.

All said and done - great season ahead . And this is without thinking of what Chelsea may or may not do.
Old 31st May 2018, 17:51   #1777
BHPian

Quote:
Fabinho - unsure how good he is - simply because of his own issues.
============
All said and done - great season ahead . And this is without thinking of what Chelsea may or may not do.
Well written!

As a United fan, I actually am not very convinced that a couple of signings will do the trick.
There is a basic lack of camaraderie between the players and the manager. Man, what would I give to see a handbrakes-off approach again!

Fabinho is a shrewd signing and Liverpool are starting to look dangerous.

Now that Zidane is available,it would be interesting to see links to Premier League clubs.

Arsenal will take some time to get going, and so will Tottenham.
For all we know, Chelsea might be this season's surprise package.

As for Man City, I am not even going to say anything.
Old 1st June 2018, 18:34   #1778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harikrishna.te View Post
Well written!

As a United fan, I actually am not very convinced that a couple of signings will do the trick.
There is a basic lack of camaraderie between the players and the manager. Man, what would I give to see a handbrakes-off approach again!

Fabinho is a shrewd signing and Liverpool are starting to look dangerous.

Now that Zidane is available,it would be interesting to see links to Premier League clubs.

Arsenal will take some time to get going, and so will Tottenham.
For all we know, Chelsea might be this season's surprise package.

As for Man City, I am not even going to say anything.
United are in for a minimum of 5 signings in this window. Fred and Dalot seem to be done deals (almost) - at CM and RB, these were essential. We're reportedly working on Sandro (LB) and also Toby Alderweireld (CB) which are other problem areas. Add those and then the last one - which is something Mourinho has been talking up for ages - is RW.

My sense is that something big is coming for United. The money spent on Dalot is a pittance (<20 Mn) and Fred is also not too expensive (<40 Mn). The rumours are that we'll now go after SMS perhaps or maybe even go for Griezmann or Bale if either is available. I'm doubtful about Bale, but Griezzy would be awesome. That said, would still be cautiously optimistic if we nail the others. United's biggest issue has been the astoundingly poor on-ball skills of our defenders. Sandro and Dalot would cure that and so would Toby. Add in Fred to carry the ball forward and we should be a lot better.

I expected Chelsea to threaten, but today's news is grim for Chelsea. Shelved the new stadium plans and Roman is withdrawing his visa application too apparently. Losing interest? Sarri is not being called in and there's no better coach they'll get now.

Zidane - won't move to PL. Will take a senior executive role at RMad for now I reckon. Quite likely to be tapped for the National Team if Deschamps botches the WC (as I expect him to). No way Zizou will risk the awesome body of work he's created by coming to the EPL.
Old 1st June 2018, 19:56   #1779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harikrishna.te View Post

The only sides zizou can go for are City and Liverpool. Other sides need some degree of rebuilding or major rebuilding and we don't know if zizou is capable of that. He had an awesome team at Real and he achieved success there. It also helps Real can attract any player you want but same cannot be said for most other sides in the world. Rebuilding is a very tough job and very few coaches can build winning teams. For me Sir Alex is the greatest ever as he created 5 great teams that all won things. I don't know of any manager who has done that.
Old 4th June 2018, 23:29   #1780
BHPian

Today was a special day for Indian football. I never expected when Chhetri called out for a good crowd that he will end up getting a full house despite the weather. The fans were awesome and Chhetri proved again that he's India's finest. I bow down to this man for keeping the Indian football dream alive. we need more like him!

The Football Thread-chhetri.jpg
This picture really caught my eye. A place among the legends
Old 5th June 2018, 14:51   #1781
Senior - BHPian

Which channel is telecasting Fifa world cup (English) in India?
Old 5th June 2018, 15:20   #1782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
It will be telecasted at Sony TEN 2 and Sony TEN 3 sports channels.
Old 5th June 2018, 15:38   #1783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Sony ten channels will be broadcasting the world cup here.
Old 5th June 2018, 16:10   #1784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider_7 View Post
Sony ten channels will be broadcasting the world cup here.
Any idea about the timings of the matches? I have not checked it yet.
Old 5th June 2018, 16:41   #1785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Any idea about the timings of the matches? I have not checked it yet.
You can bookmark this link to know the time schedule.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks