Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2010, 00:51   #346
Senior - BHPian

Our little girl goes to day care, and as is the norm, she's been falling ill every other week. Kids in her class have something or the other, ranging from a minor cold to ear infections and even croup.
Since the last time my daughter fell ill, she's been having a congestion all throughout. Its been lingering, and I asked the doctor give her some decongestant as that would help the baby sleep at night. With the second round of ear infections, the congestion's not really reduced any bit.
My wife's taken the lil one to the doctor again, and I'm yet to know what the latter said. We'r scared that if the phlegm doesn't reduce, she'll end up with another ear & eye infection.
Anyone aware of some safe home remedies to help reduce the phlegm in babies?
Old 10th August 2010, 02:24   #347
Senior - BHPian

I am sure you are trying saline nasal drops (works best in such situation). humidity should not be a problem in current weather. see if aromatic oils help (aroma therapy from ayurvedic stores). With kids this small it is not possible to do anything more. my younger one had more of these because elder one kept bringing in germs. I have been able to explain to my elder one that putting extra effort in sneezing, sniffing, coughing will only make it worse. the other thing is keeping their head higher than the body when they sleep. reduced blood pressure while sleeping helps (even for adults).

back in india people used to apply oil (in my area, mustard oil goes in nose, ears, wherever possible). I am not a big fan but I understand it may help healing the inflamed tissues inside the nostrils.
Old 10th August 2010, 10:10   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Anyone aware of some safe home remedies to help reduce the phlegm in babies?
Try steam inhalation as well.

If the child is very young, keep her on your lap facing down while you are sitting on a chair and keep a vessel full of hot water on the floor. Keep her eyes closed with your hand. The steam from the vessel on the floor is good enough. This, probably, needs to be repeated frequently. 4-5 times a day, also before going to sleep.

Don't put Vicks or any such stuff in the hot water. Plain water would do. If tulsi leaves are available, add that to water.

For our 4 year old (and the rest of the family), we use the inhaler machine. Make sure eyes are closed while using this (this what our pediatrician told us).
Old 10th August 2010, 10:37   #349
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
That's why The easiest thing I do is direct every expecting parent to babycenter.com.
My wife was directed to this site by her friend, and this has been a revelation. It has all the information we were looking for, and also helped to dispel a lot of our fears and concerns.

Highly recommended!
Old 10th August 2010, 21:49   #350
Senior - BHPian

Vivek,I've been trying the mustard oil remedy,and it does help to some extent. Our baby's gotten her third ear infection in 2 months, and its not our best option to send her to the daycare. A private nanny ain't possible either.
Anyways, we'll give it more time for things to clear up for us.
Old 10th August 2010, 22:12   #351
Senior - BHPian

keep in mind that mustard oil is highly acidic and can by itself cause irritation. Varies from crop to crop. hence it's sold for "external use only" in USA. try yourelf first before applying on her. I don't see why any other oil will just as well.
Old 19th August 2010, 16:06   #352
BHPian

My son "Suffyan" is one month old.
Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences-08082010212.jpg
He is so small to show his likes and dislikes, but we (my wife and I) enjoy each and every movement of his. Now days my wife is doing nightshifts with him and my duty is schedule for weekend nigths (as both of them are at my in-laws-place).

Last edited by ImranShahnawaz : 19th August 2010 at 16:10.
Old 19th August 2010, 16:30   #353
vsi
BANNED

Mt daughet, Ishita, whot turned "2" last month has developed a keen liking for the "SHAKIRA WAKA WAKA" song. Everyday, after myself returning from office, she insists in her own cute language to play for that song. if i try to play other song or the same is finished, she cribs for the ame song.
Quite adorable, I suppose..
Old 19th August 2010, 16:36   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImranShahnawaz View Post
My son "Suffyan" is one month old.
Attachment 409639
He is so small to show his likes and dislikes, but we (my wife and I) enjoy each and every movement of his. Now days my wife is doing nightshifts with him and my duty is schedule for weekend nigths (as both of them are at my in-laws-place).
Congrats! I too have a kid who is exactly 1 month old and I too am going through the same phase!
Old 19th August 2010, 16:46   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Aditya - Just checked out the Elephant song; I said, WOW, the theme is excellent. Both my Son & I loved it. Will have to find some means to download the entire volume. Thanks Adi, great stuff & must watch for every kid.
Pleasure bro. If you use Firefox, you can download an addon. Its called Download Helper or something. You can download youtube video's using this addon. There are lot of similar addon's. Just browse for addon's on the firefox browser (tools dropdown) and install it. You can save the file to desktop in most format's like .avi, .mpeg etc. (convert and save).

VLC player plays most of the file types so in case convert and save doesnt work, just download to desktop directly and play with VLC.
Old 20th August 2010, 19:26   #356
Senior - BHPian

I was going thru old posts in non auto image thread and saw this.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/201207-post362.html

and now he is 4 and doing this, time flies really fast. Oh, and in those days we used imageshack for uploading images.

Old 21st August 2010, 09:47   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
Congrats! I too have a kid who is exactly 1 month old and I too am going through the same phase!
Congratulations to you too bro. Enjoy the nightouts
Old 20th October 2010, 13:55   #358
Senior - BHPian

Time to wake up the thread for some suggestions

We've put our eldest to play school from this Monday, who will be turning 3 this weekend. The problem is he's refusing to go to school; its quite obvious for every child for first few days & I can understand that. But the thing is my Son is very much disturbed & that what I feel with the 2 symptoms below...
1. He wakes up in the middle of sleep & cries; last Monday noon he shouted loud in his noon nap & was calling for me. He hasn't been doing this before & hence I suspect the school phobia
2. Every morning he feels very uncomfortable & keeps saying (along with his cries) that he will go to school from tomorrow.

I've tried understanding as why he doesn't want to go, but he couldn't explain I guess. I've asked him if someone frightens, scolds or beats him at school. Initially he says yes, but upon insisting futher (saying if he's caught lying) then he agrees there're no such things (this again is a horror that he starts saying lies at this age which needs to be dealt seperately)

I've been talking to him about the pros on going to school (showcasing he could buy a HD or Duc ) & his school going friends might buy something similar & at that point he agrees going to school, but then after sometime he comes back saying he doesn't want to go to school.

First day, I enquired with the staff at school & they admitted that he played well. What else can I do to persuade him to go to school? Its little disheartening to see this guy getting tensed up in the morning & night at the thought of school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Pleasure bro. If you use Firefox...just download to desktop directly and play with VLC.
I used youtube downloader & got most of the songs from Eric Herman; now my Daughter is kind of addicted.

Apart from this there're few more good stuff, not sure they're since I downloaded based on ratings & view count. All in all, they're much appreciated.
Old 20th October 2010, 14:13   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He wakes up in the middle of sleep & cries; last Monday noon he shouted loud in his noon nap & was calling for me. He hasn't been doing this before & hence I suspect the school phobia
Absolutely not, its that children at this age remember too many things and every event happened over the day are reflected by the cries/murmurs in the night. My son does this but the freq is down now. The other day when I refused to take him to McDonalds, I could hear him murmuring about going to McDonalds in his sleep at night.

Quote:
(this again is a horror that he starts saying lies at this age which needs to be dealt seperately)
I've been talking to him about the pros on going to school (showcasing he could buy a HD or Duc ) & his school going friends might buy something similar
At one point you are worried about his telling lies but on other hand you are bribing him for going to school with all those dreamy stuff. Who shoiuld be punished more?

Quote:
Its little disheartening to see this guy getting tensed up in the morning & night at the thought of school.
If its a new envoirnment, children tend to become a little bit insecure. Better way is to stay with the child till he reaches his classroom and let him see you first thing after school. This way the child knows that his parents are there.
[/quote]
Old 20th October 2010, 14:26   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Absolutely not
Even if I refuse anything, my Son doesn't cry out loud in the middle of his sleep. I haven't seen his sleep being disturbed for such things.

Quote:
At one point you are worried about his telling lies but on other hand you are bribing him for going to school with all those dreamy stuff. Who shoiuld be punished more?
Well, if I promise him flashy things, then I'm bribing. I only tell him that if he studies well & earns good money then he could by a Ducati. I'm very sure this can happen if he does good in his studies. How's this called as bribing? Bribing is done to get things done forcefully; if I were to give a chocolate, cake or a ride in car to attend school, then you may want to call it...incentive & again not bribe. IMO, I'm only stating a possibility which could be turned to reality in the future.

Quote:
If its a new envoirnment, children tend to become a little bit insecure. Better way is to stay with the child till he reaches his classroom and let him see you first thing after school. This way the child knows that his parents are there.
Yes, you're quite right here; but those moronic people at school wouldn't let Parents inside the campus (as if they're safe guarding Gold). If he still doesn't change his mind next week, I'll talk to those people.

But I heard from them that he plays well in the classroom.

Last edited by aargee : 20th October 2010 at 14:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks