Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2010, 15:03   #2146
BHPian

It's true Waseem Bhai. A couple of dishes were absorbed by Dawoodi Bohra Muslims from Gujrati's and vice-versa. That's that main reason, why I said Khichda is a very popular dish in Gujrati Homes.
Old 13th August 2010, 16:12   #2147
Team-BHP Support

AFAIK, khichdi as such is a very generic name.
The Gujarati khicdi is quite soft. The khicdi made in my family is very dry and every grain of rice is separate. We call this texture of rice as pharara. You must be able to hear every grain of rice fall in the plate.

The Hyderabadi khicdi is between the two. Neither too soft (unless its overcooked) nor to dry.
Old 13th August 2010, 17:15   #2148
Senior - BHPian

An evening with Indian Ocean

I had spent quite a bit of time listening to Indian Ocean in Delhi and when I came to know about they playing in Hyderabad @ HRC, I made up my mind to be there. But it was almost not to be!

The show was supposed to start at 8 but as wifey came back from office only by 9 and we were at HRC at 9.15 PM. And lo and behold! We see atleast 20 people jostling at the entrance to get in and the bouncers denying entry. And then we see it -The Tickets!

Tickets priced at Rs250/- with same amount in coupons had been sold andonly those who had the tickets were being allowed in. Multiple requests to the bouncer(s)/ Manager didn't yield any result and we were almost about to comeback when we see Sagar alighting with his Camera and gear and with a Press Card. He promised that once he gets in, will get us in as well.

And that's when it happened. A good Samaritan asked us whether we needed tickets and not replying affirmative, gave me a ticket with coupon worth double. By the time I could pay him for it, he had vanished. Multiple attempts to locate him were futile. Now needed only one ticket but the bouncers were still insistent. So finally I made the bouncer "An offer he couldn't refuse". Told him to get us entry and I'll pay him double the ticket price.That obviously got his attention and he directed us to his Manager who gave us took cover charge of Rs1,000/-.

Once inside we realised what a madness it was with the whole place overflowing with people. But their rendition of the classics like "Kandisa", "Ma Rewa", "Khajuraho" et al had the crowd fully charged up. They also sang "Chand" their latest song which was totally awesome. (Check out their website for Free Download). I had awesome time listen to them live and was worth the effort to gainentry.

Finally the concert end at 11.15 and we wanted to pick up Haleem but all places like Sarvi, Y2K were shutting down so in search of that elusive Haleem reached Zam -Zam Bakery.The Haleem was tasty and one could taste the meat. So now I look forward to tasting Haleem from other joints.
Old 16th August 2010, 09:55   #2149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
AFAIK, khichdi as such is a very generic name.
The Gujarati khicdi is quite soft. The khicdi made in my family is very dry and every grain of rice is separate. We call this texture of rice as pharara. You must be able to hear every grain of rice fall in the plate.

The Hyderabadi khicdi is between the two. Neither too soft (unless its overcooked) nor to dry.

Khichda, which (a bohri delicacy) is completely different from Khichdi.

Its made of Kathod (6 Mixed dals)

tiniest chauli (kidney bean)
turdal
chana dal
moong dal without chhilka
udad dal without chhilkamasoor dal (lentil)
Masoor daal
rice
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-khichda.jpg  

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 16th August 2010 at 09:57. Reason: Edit
Old 16th August 2010, 10:00   #2150
Team-BHP Support

my bad. Khicda is of course the Bohra delicacy.

Sorry about missing the a and reading the i.

There used to be a very popular Moghuls Catering in Chennai and my neighbhors used to order in from them during Majlis. Hot Khicda in mud vessels. Yummy.
Old 16th August 2010, 10:28   #2151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There used to be a very popular Moghuls Catering in Chennai and my neighbhors used to order in from them during Majlis. Hot Khicda in mud vessels. Yummy.
You mean Great Moghul @ Kilpauk.?
Old 16th August 2010, 10:33   #2152
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
You mean Great Moghul @ Kilpauk.?
Exactly. They served some of the best Khichda ever. Even the fried onions were a class apart.
Old 16th August 2010, 12:08   #2153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly. They served some of the best Khichda ever. Even the fried onions were a class apart.
+1 on that.
His food is always cherished by our community (Cutchi Memon )
Moreover, i am a fan of Bohri cuisine.
Old 16th August 2010, 16:23   #2154
Senior - BHPian

Verdict on Haleem:

Had Haleem from the following outlets.

Sarvi, Madhapur
Sarvi, Banjara Hills,
Pakwaan, Tadbund &
Shadab.

The worst haleem was from Pakwaan, which had too much of salt!
Sarvi's quality seems to have deteriorated compared to last year.
Shadab haleem is on top as of now as I haven't come across better haleem yet!

Planning to visit: Bahar, Astoria, Bawarchi, 555, Hyline, etc., during the next 2-3 weeks!
Old 16th August 2010, 16:34   #2155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
The worst haleem was from Pakwaan, which had too much of salt!

Planning to visit: Bahar, Astoria, Bawarchi, 555, Hyline, etc., during the next 2-3 weeks!
Seems like the success of Pakwaan will remain short-lived like most restuarants considering the recent experiences that we've had. Hope he recovers to remain consistent.

I tried Bahar last week, it was superb. Till date, only had "1/2" plate of haleem
Old 16th August 2010, 16:59   #2156
BHPian

Here's what these owners of Haleem Outlets conspired the last week. They united together to ensure that I land up at their outlets for Haleem. Did not give me much of a scope and lured me to their respective outlets.

This is how my last weekend was

Thursday
First Day of Haleem season & I planned to visit Shah Ghouse for my first bout of Haleem Eating Session of 2010. However, due to a couple of Pitstops and Bumps and Delays, I ended up at Pista House, Toli Chowki. Had to ensure that I take the Haleem Parcel home before 11:30 in the midnight, so that Wifey could also taste Haleem. Else, come friday and her fast starts and she would not have it. So rushed to Pista House outlet at Toli Chowki and they were totally sold out by 10:15. Then loittered around Mehdipatnam area, scouting for Haleem. Atlast, found a couple at Mehdipatnam outlet & took the parcel home.

Friday
The Team-BHP Haleem Meet was supposedly planned for Friday. It did not kick off as expected and only 5 people landed up for the Meet (3 Team-BHPians + 2 Non-Team-BHPians). Was surprised to receive a call from Tentative Baba aka Kirkirri. We all met at Basheer Bagh to embark on our journey to Charminar for some good Haleems. Kirkirri lost the way half-way through and went around Purani Haveli - IBS - Afzal Gunj and back to Shahbad

Haleem at Shahbad was tasty and Shah Ghouse was HEAVENLY.

I believe, It would be a sin, trying to rate Haleem at Shah Ghouse

The whole Haleem Session was followed by couple of Sulemani Chai's, followed by Pineapple Paans at Begum Bazaar & Mango Ice Cream at Famous.

Tentative Baba missed the Paans and Ice Cream as he had to rush back home

Saturday
In order to ensure a steady influx of protiens, vitamins... I ventured back to Shahbad & Shah Ghouse with my cousin and friends. Again the same ordeal as in Haleem at Shahbad + Haleem at Shah Ghouse + Sulemani Chai + Paans from Begum Bazaar.

We went to Shah Ghouse and were surprised to see that Deccan Paradise did not have the Haleem at 12:30. Shah Ghouse was doing brisk business and DP turned out to be a damp squid.

Sunday
Was returning with my family from Shamshabad, when I popped up the anticipated question "Any one ready for HALEEM?"

The mere mention of Haleem was enough of invite the warth of Mom & Wifey, but again... the FOODIE won hands down due to Grubbing & Cribbing. Grub, Crib or CRY for HALEEM.

As mom's a Veggie now, she wanted Veg Haleem & I being a NON-VEGGIE only look towards the actual stuff. So we took 2 NV Haleems from Shah Ghouse & 1 Veg Haleem at Pista House.

Went home and devoured 1.238 plate of Haleem, leaving just .762 plate of Haleem for Wifey. Thanks to Wifey, I had to eat .238 plate of Haleem extra.

This was even after I knew that there was another bout of Haleem Eating session planned for the evening.

Landed up at Deccan Paradise for the second round of Haleem & ended up having one at Shah Ghouse too. Special Thanks to Deccan Paradise, had to eat at Shah Ghouse in order to remove the not so great taste in the mouth left by the Haleem, I had at Deccan Paradise.

How can I not mention, this was followed by Sulemani Chai & Paans from Begum Bazaar.

This is how, my weekend was.... I know, i've accumulated tonnes of Protiens & Vitamins in the past few days, but one thing is for sure.... Haleem comes only once in a year.
Old 17th August 2010, 07:49   #2157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
For me, Shadaab is PERFECT for a Sunday breakfast.Khichdi, kheema and Nihari Kukcha.
A detailed search on this thread has failed to reveal to me the list of venues serving the best "Nihari". Will the experts come forth with the list of best venues while the season is in full swing? Thanks in advance.

PS : Being lazy most of the days and more so in the mornings, which is the venue nearest to Punjagutta for the best "Nihari" may be advised separately!
Old 17th August 2010, 12:40   #2158
Team-BHP Support

I found the Shah Ghouse Haleem from their ToliChowki outlet, bland and with a very soft texture. Did not like it at all.

The only other haleem this season has been Sarvi. And it was good. Nice and thick with just the right amount of spice.
Old 17th August 2010, 14:27   #2159
Senior - BHPian

Picked up Haleem from Paradise at Hitec City last night.
BIG MISTAKE! Too many small broken bones and with every spoonful, I had to be really careful so as not to bite and get the bone stuck between the teeth!
Had to throw away half of the haleem because of this!
Old 17th August 2010, 14:57   #2160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
Picked up Haleem from Paradise at Hitec City last night.
BIG MISTAKE! Too many small broken bones and with every spoonful, I had to be really careful so as not to bite and get the bone stuck between the teeth!
Had to throw away half of the haleem because of this!
+1 on that Nazim, that is what I mentioned a couple of days back, when we were listing down the haleem outlets.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2008798-post2088.html

Listing down a couple of outlets, who serve amazing Haleem.
1. Shah Ghouse, Shah Ali Banda, Charminar
2. Sarvi, Banjara Hills
3. Sarvi, Mehdipatnam
4. Shahdaab, Madina X Roads, Madina, Charminar
5. Bahar, Hyderguda
6. Pista House, Shah Ali Banda, Charminar (I would suggest this outlet as compared to Take Away located all over the city)
7. Paradise, Secunderabad (Like this albeit, the innumerable amount of bones that somehow make their way into Haleem. I would call it HADDIeem - HADDI means Bone)
8. New Gold Shahi Haleem, Azampura
9. Hotel Sohail, Saidabad Road, Malakpet
10. Bawarchi, RTC X Roads
11. Astoria, RTC X Roads
12. Niagara, Chaderghat
13. Alpha Hotel, Opposite Secunderabad Station
14. Nizam Club, Saifabad/Lakdi Ka Pul
15. Fateh Maidan Club, L. B. Stadium, Nampally
16. Cafe 555, Masab Tank
17. Hotel Nayaab, Madina, Charminar
18. Bombay Hotel, Ranigunj
19. Hyline Bakery, Gunfoundry