Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2010, 12:52   #2191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
I just chanced upon this thread. A vegetarian's perspective below -

Chutney's etc. are hugely over-rated. If you want *real* Andhra food that isn't home-cooked try one of the messes. My personal favourites are Siddhartha mess in Nallakunta near Shankarmutt and Sree Harsha Deluxe mess in Ameerpet opposite Maithrivanam.

Abhiruchi on SD Road near Book Selection Centre also has good Andhra food.

Regards,
spadix
Prashant, this is a bible for Hydeez guys and you discovered it just now?

Anyways, better late than never.

My comments stand good when it was posted ( I think about 2 years ago) but, now they arent that good when you compare the VFM factor.

Abhiruchi is also not that great anymore. And, they serve only Meals and not South Indian snacks, AFAIK.

Look forward to your experiences of eating out here regularly
Old 24th August 2010, 13:12   #2192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
800 bucks for lunch and that too so you can "enjoy" raw fish

I wont dip into my wallet for such a lunch.

That equation changes if my company is treating
Well said, Avi! I would rather visit Sholay 3 times for that price if I had to ante up from my pocket.

Methinks Kakatiya &Taj Krishna have similar rates as Westin.
Old 24th August 2010, 14:01   #2193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Well said, Avi! I would rather visit Sholay 3 times for that price if I had to ante up from my pocket.

You bet. I would love to go back to Sholay again and again and wont get tired of their fantastic food. And, thats VFM in true sense.

Sholay Zindabad
Old 24th August 2010, 14:14   #2194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
800 bucks for lunch and that too so you can "enjoy" raw fish

I wont dip into my wallet for such a lunch.

That equation changes if my company is treating
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post

LOL, but I disagree. If one went only by price-line we would perpetually be eating off bhandies. If I were to apply that logic, I would eat out only at my club as the food is decent and the prices are very low. I think it is worth paying a premium for good & different food. There is no point paying a premium for either indifferent or vague food - for eg. panneer sushi or a sambar rice sizzler just do not cut ice. For N.Indian food I would look no further than Sholay or Just Foods (both close to my home).

I do miss Yoko's as the only decent alternative to it is IndiJoe and we end up paying something like 1200/- for two sizzlers, three drinks (soft) and a dessert.

One place I consider good, is Okra in the Marriot. Their buffet dinner spread is very good. I stick to their continental stuff, their selection of salads, cold meats, canapes, soups cold / hot & desserts is excellent. At least two main courses are good. The price for one adult is 950/- + tax and kids eat free so for 1+1, I pay about 1400 (including soft drinks).

I am still in search of a decent place for Thai food (not adjusted to Indian sentimentalities and religious prejudices). Now all that talk of food has made my mouth water - time to dig in at the best place to eat - HOME!

Cheers,

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 24th August 2010 at 14:16.
Old 24th August 2010, 14:22   #2195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
LOL, but I disagree. If one went only by price-line we would perpetually be eating off bhandies. If I were to apply that logic, I would eat out only at my club as the food is decent and the prices are very low. I think it is worth paying a premium for good & different food. There is no point paying a premium for either indifferent or vague food - for eg. panneer sushi or a sambar rice sizzler just do not cut ice. For N.Indian food I would look no further than Sholay or Just Foods (both close to my home).
You said it. There is no point in comparing a restaurant like Westin with Sholay. Its like comparing cheese and paneer. Both are good but they are not comparable to eachother..

Quote:
I do miss Yoko's as the only decent alternative to it is IndiJoe and we end up paying something like 1200/- for two sizzlers, three drinks (soft) and a dessert.
Me too. Yoko was very good especially when they had that offer of buy 2 get 1 free. I hope I remember the offer correctly.

Last edited by bblost : 24th August 2010 at 14:23.
Old 24th August 2010, 14:30   #2196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For N.Indian food I would look no further than Sholay or Just Foods (both close to my home).
@Ravveendrra.

I was also a regular patron of Just foods for sometime but i have one horrifying tale to tell.

I had been there with my wifey and sister few months back and had ordered a chicken starter, it was stale and smelly. They replaced the same after i complained.Stopped visiting Just foods after that incident.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 24th August 2010 at 14:31. Reason: Edit
Old 24th August 2010, 14:32   #2197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
LOL, but I disagree. If one went only by price-line we would perpetually be eating off bhandies.
Come on Ravvs, we almost NEVER eat at bandhies except at rare occasions. What we are talking about is VFM. I agree that for continental food lovers you have only 5-star hotels as options to enjoy that cuisine. But, then you pay through your nose for the same. Once in a while, its OK.

But, for some of us who eat regularly out, for example like me, i would not count on them as i can never justify a Rs.1K/person meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
You said it. There is no point in comparing a restaurant like Westin with Sholay. Its like comparing cheese and paneer. Both are good but they are not comparable to eachother...
I agree. But, i am curious to know did you pay for those meals that you have had at Westin/Isda etc. OR your company pays for it?

Would you pay for such exorbitant meals when you go out with your family even during a normal occasion?

Quote:
Me too. Yoko was very good especially when they had that offer of buy 2 get 1 free. I hope I remember the offer correctly.
Yoko was superb in sizzlers and they too were VFM when they had that offer. However, Indijoes are also equally good but, they are pricey ( minimum Rs.350 per steak)
Old 24th August 2010, 15:20   #2198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

But, i am curious to know did you pay for those meals that you have had at Westin/Isda etc
Avi the buffet is just a little less than a thousand bucks.
Whats the big deal about it?

Last edited by bblost : 24th August 2010 at 15:35.
Old 24th August 2010, 15:39   #2199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Avi the buffet is just a little less than a thousand buck.
Whats the big deal about it?
IMO, It's no big deal for special occasions but for normal occasions it "IS" a big deal. Period!

Not to mention other factors like,

i find food in 5-star hotels bland/artificial and do not suit my palate. They have a huge line-up of dishes out of which only a few dishes are worth trying out.

I dont enjoy buffets as they make you eat more in addition to other important aspect that you cannot justify tasting every item on the menu even if you'd like to.

Finally the most important reason :-

Though i have considerably reduced my eating out lately.

But, for someone like me who out of 21 meals a week, eats almost 10 meals outside. It most definetly is a big deal as its a lot of moolah. And, I'm not even adding the cost of what accompanies most of my meals
Old 24th August 2010, 15:53   #2200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
IMO, It's no big deal for special occasions but for normal occasions it "IS" a big deal. Period!
Avi I agree, its a 5 Star hotel and not a mess.

Quote:

Not to mention other factors like,

i find food in 5-star hotels bland/artificial and do not suit my palate. They have a huge line-up of dishes out of which only a few dishes are worth trying out.
We have very different tastes.
Plus if you observe the pics of my plates, the quantity I take is quite less. But I do take a little bit of everything and I enjoy that.

Quote:

I dont enjoy buffets as they make you eat more in addition to other important aspect that you cannot justify tasting every item on the menu even if you'd like to.
I hardly eat a grain of rice or even roti's. Just give me steamed prawns or cold cuts or sushi.

Quote:
Finally the most important reason :-

Though i have considerably reduced my eating out lately.

But, for someone like me who out of 21 meals a week, eats almost 10 meals outside. It most definetly is a big deal as its a lot of moolah. And, I'm not even adding the cost of what accompanies most of my meals
Excluding the daily office lunches at the cafeteria and an occasional team out.
I have less than 2 outings a month for food. And take aways are quite rare as well.

As Ravveendrra mentioned earlier. The best food is home food.

Last edited by bblost : 24th August 2010 at 15:56.
Old 24th August 2010, 15:59   #2201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As Ravveendrra mentioned earlier. The best food is home food.
Ok, is baat pe, PEACE

Well, i am waiting for a detailed review of you sushi lovers to have a " Sushi Meet" at Westin one of these days
Old 24th August 2010, 17:27   #2202
Distinguished - BHPian

On Sunday, wanted to have a quick lunch somewhere closeby and while returning from Malakpet, we chanced upon a new restuarant that looked nice from outside.

Forgot the name, I think its named "Balaji Spice"with a big hoarding of Hyderabadi Dum Biryani and i am a sucker for such hoardings. Not really sure of the hotel name will confirm later ( Have their take away menu card) and it's just after Venkatramana Theatre in Kachiguda.

We ordered :-

Butter Chicken---Rs. 140
Special Mutton Biryani--Rs.160
Rotis
Thumbs-Up

Butter Chicken was delicious and Rotis were really nice. Crisp and doughy

Mutton Biryani was really tasty, spicy, boneless succelent meat and quantity was too much. We ate 1/4th and parcelled the rest.

Nice place for a quick good meal.
Old 24th August 2010, 17:39   #2203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Forgot the name, I think its named "Balaji Spice"with a big hoarding of Hyderabadi Dum Biryani and i am a sucker for such hoardings. Not really sure of the hotel name will confirm later ( Have their take away menu card) and it's just after Venkatramana Theatre in Kachiguda.
@ Avinash

Bhai, its high time that we start exploring new places like you just mentioned.
I have found out one nice take away in Balkampet.(Andhra delicacy) Will post the details tomorrow.
Old 24th August 2010, 18:20   #2204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
@ Avinash

I have found out one nice take away in Balkampet.(Andhra delicacy) Will post the details tomorrow.
If this is rhe shop next to the temple, his dry mutton is awesome.
Old 24th August 2010, 21:47   #2205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
@ Avinash

+1. We should continue to explore new restuarants. Wish we can form a sting unit with an agenda to " hunt down new restuarants" each week
Btw, the hotel name in my last post is " Deccan Spice"

Btw, you guys should check out a couple of more that opened in Himayathnagar

1. Pebbles ( Next to KFC, Himayathnagar)
2. Shahji Ka Dhaba ( St No. 7, Himayathnagar)

Both these places serve pretty good food at reasonable prices.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks