Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2007, 21:20   #166
BHPian

The present Indian cricket team should be dismantled - starting with dear old Sachin boy.
Old 4th April 2007, 21:21   #167
Senior - BHPian

Hey, why blame yourself when you can blame the teacher, not as if he has to teach them anything. Each of these senior players have played a lot lot more cricket than the master.
Old 4th April 2007, 22:48   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
can you name 15 or at least 11 please?
If I could, they all would in the current team !!

What I meant was we could find youngters who would give their 100% in every match. Cricket is just a game - we win some, lose some. What we want is how much hard would they fight before going down.

Also, I doubt we can ever find an younster who would just walk into the team. He would need lot of honing of his skills before he is good. So, if we can identify 30 prospects & train them to them to the level of international standards, is it difficult find 11 or even 15?
Old 4th April 2007, 23:04   #169
Senior - BHPian

Once you are done training with them, they will start becoming lazy & 'Senior' Cricketers. Look at yuvraj singh, everytime he dives, he has to necessarily whine in pain & make faces. You do not see that with any professional sports people.
Old 4th April 2007, 23:25   #170
BANNED

Quote:
Once you are done training with them, they will start becoming lazy & 'Senior' Cricketers. Look at yuvraj singh, everytime he dives, he has to necessarily whine in pain & make faces. You do not see that with any professional sports people.
For small mercies .... just remember he atleast dives -- whereas we Indians don't grow up diving . The foreigners on the other hand grow up diving , so it comes much more naturally to them and thus better fitness levels . Given that things are changing and kids at the younger level are learning the art of diving so that it comes naturally but they will take time before they come onto the International level . Remember that initially one had to be good at Batting or Bowling to be a good cricketer and not like today where a lot of emphasis was put on fielding .

So suddenly expecting the guys to start diving around ............ Be critics but at the same time be realistic !!! Don't go by stuff that the Media has to say .. they wanna sensattionalise every thing that they can get their hands on and for those who believe every lil thing that comes into print ,

As for the team .... I still don't see why anything drastic needs to be done !!! Facts are that we dont have a solid bench strength , and for ppl to harp that youngsters should be allowed ... they shoudl be but then they should have something in them at the domestic level for them to get a call up . Also we do need a foreign coach no matter what is said , with an Indian coach -0-- the favoritism will start all over again . Remember that initially we aint Indians first so none of them will think like that , our minds work in the following order -- religion - caste - city - state - region -- and then after we cross this , we think of Nationalism . If Gavaskar had his way , 80% of the Indian team wud constitute of Mumbaikars ( no offence guys ..) whereas the actual talent all lies in the rural belt of India . Metros aint a good place to search for budding players no more !!!!

As for sacking --- Only Sachin needs to re think his future plans , and if he feels that he can somehow deliver like he used to -- give him another go !!! The rest dont need any shuffling ... Bhajji needs to bowl much more and Irfan Pathan needs to find that swing or maybe just convert into a FULL TIME BATSMAN, Saurav also needs to rethink just like Sachin !!! The rest are all there ... a few bad days in a span of 2 weeks aint enuff to justify what every ones seems to be harping these days .Its just that a lot of corporate money has gone down the drain and thus all this nonsense , what when the men in blue give them more than their moneys woirth .

Its very easy to criticise and do post mortems .... and we INDIANS really dwell in that . Each one of us feels he can be a National Selector , he can be a GREAT COACH , and so on but the truth is far from that !!!

And if Indian cricket is going down the path our National sport went -- DOWNHILL , then on the bright side we may see motorsports coming up , or maybe womens cricket and wudnt we all just luv that ???
Old 5th April 2007, 10:48   #171
Senior - BHPian

mods. . one request can all posts regarding indian cricket be deleted ???? we are fanatic fools and WILL discuss cricket even if we lost to all the worst teams in the world.

Guys . . . lets IGNORE OUR BUNCH OF LOOSERS. LET US NOT DISCUSS INDIAN CRICKET ATLEAST.

p.s : i am a great fan of Indian Circket, and hence they need to know. . .that THEY HAVE TO PERFORM.
Old 5th April 2007, 10:56   #172
Senior - BHPian

There are rumors that Sachin has signed for ZEE cricket league. This clearly shows that ZEE too is not going on the performance front.

PS: Iam a die hard fan of Sachin. But he keeps sticking around from 2004 (remember Greg's one of the agenda was to break Sachin's lean form). Remember many of us become his fan not because of his face, because of his game.
Old 5th April 2007, 11:10   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Chappell made to resign

Cricinfo - Greg Chappell resigns

what a shame !!!!
Yes its a shame that Greg's experiments failed one after the other but he continued. He has resigned when India is all time low.

Players are at fault, they did not perform but so is Greg. He was not coaching Aussies. He did not consider the limitations of Indian team. He did not gel with the team and vice versa.
Old 5th April 2007, 11:15   #174
BHPian

I feared that India would lose to Bangladesh for the last three four months. And my worst fears got confirmed.

Now I hope that the aftershocks of this defeat, which led to India getting eliminated from the world cup before the super 8 stage, will be felt long into the future as well. I will be happy if Indian cricket ( and more immportantly the Indian cricketers) go the way of Indian hockey. If that happens, no fans and as a result no corporate entity will have any time for these prima donnas. And then hopefully the team will have performing players, rather than non performing stars hanging on to their places, because hanging on to their place is the prerequisite for them to get ads.
Old 5th April 2007, 11:34   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
For small mercies .... just remember he atleast dives --

with an Indian coach -0-- the favoritism will start all over again . Remember that initially we aint Indians first so none of them will think like that , our minds work in the following order -- religion - caste - city - state - region -- and then after we cross this , we think of Nationalism . If Gavaskar had his way , 80% of the Indian team wud constitute of Mumbaikars ( no offence guys ..) whereas the actual talent all lies in the rural belt of India . Metros aint a good place to search for budding players no more !!!!
Small mercies, my foot. Every man has got to be a man on the field. A few scratches & bruises never stopped you or me from doing the things we do for fun, did it ? Or did we go crying to mama for every little bruise. Our great fielders are no more than sissies. We did have great fileders in Robin Singh, Jadeja & Azhar.

I totally agree with you on the second part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
There are rumors that Sachin has signed for ZEE cricket league. This clearly shows that ZEE too is not going on the performance front.

PS: Iam a die hard fan of Sachin. But he keeps sticking around from 2004 (remember Greg's one of the agenda was to break Sachin's lean form). Remember many of us become his fan not because of his face, because of his game.
I disagree. Zee wants sachin purely for marketing reasons & not for performance. For performance, they are bringing overseas cricketers & our own untapped talents too.
Old 5th April 2007, 11:37   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
Players are at fault, they did not perform but so is Greg. He was not coaching Aussies. He did not consider the limitations of Indian team. He did not gel with the team and vice versa.
Or he was asking too much of them to be a little bit more disciplined, focussed and professional.
Old 5th April 2007, 11:49   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Or he was asking too much of them to be a little bit more disciplined, focussed and professional.
I think we are not the right people to comment on that. May be he was after them with the stic, ( again guess work ). His management skills were not enough.

Its a collective failure. There cannot be one reason for failure. The team ( Board + Coach + Player ) failed, everyone played the helping hand. He resigned because it may be enough for him now.

BTW who was the coach when India won the WC ( start googling )

Last edited by navdeep : 5th April 2007 at 11:50.
Old 5th April 2007, 12:03   #178
Senior - BHPian

I must hand it to Sachin. He really played his cards well. 48 hours before the BCCI meeting he comes out with a interview where all his answers are based on what the the coach hypothetically said. The media helped him out too by reporting about "Sachin's emotional outburst." Mr. Tendulkar knows that Indians are emotional fools and he played to that. If only Greg knew this! Guess what I see on our news channels at night after the emotional interview? SMS messages (assuming they were genuine) that went like "Sachin is the God of Indian cricket", "Don't worry Sachin, we are all with you", "Sachin is the best. No one can take his place in Indian cricket" and so on. The media said Greg was going to raise the issue of senior player's attitudes. There were no names taken. Why is Mr. Tendulkar feeling guilty? Besides, forget the coach, is the whole country blind? We all saw the attitude of the players in the world cup matches. None of them were playing to win. God knows what they were doing there. We all saw Ganguly playing for himself in the west Indies. The problem with Indians is, we get emotional about everything. We are happy that dada made a comeback and was the highest run scorer in the world cup. How come the eagle eyed media and expert ex-cricket players failed to see his slow strike rate. Even a college or state level player would have scored 88 runs in 120 odd ***** against Bermuda. We don't need a genius or a "prince of Kolkatta" for that. Against Sri Lanka, Ganguly had no idea how to play. He took 20 odd ***** to get to 7-8 runs and the first shot he tried to hit, he got out! Compare that to Hayden who scored his fastest century in ODI's with a six.

NDTV leaked Greg's to be submitted report yesterday night and from what they said, I think Greg has hit the nail on the head. If we implement even 30% of his recommendations we will win the next world cup. Chappel said that this has turned into a personality issue rather then a isse based analysis which is what he wanted it to be. I totally agree with him and that is why nothing will come out of the friday meeting. As long as our culture will be personality based, we will never succeed in team games. Australia asked the captain Steve Waugh to go when he wasn't playing as well. Will Mr. Pawar ask Sachin and Ganguly to take a break for a few months? We wll know the answer.

For all the "sack the coach" hue and cry that the media is making, may I ask one just question. Are we going to start winning matches the day after the coach goes?
Old 5th April 2007, 12:15   #179
Senior - BHPian

I agree with you Amit. Sachin played to the gallery. Not for nothing is he a genius... He knows how to play his cards well.
Old 5th April 2007, 12:16   #180
BHPian

Looking at the current performance in of Indian Cricket team, what i can infer is there can be a better strategy to select future players.

first, ask all indian who wish to play international cricket to SMS to BCCI, then BCCI will pick a lottery (similiar to KBC). Then the 15 member team which was short listed would undergo a 6 months of training on cricket to face to other nations team. And finally they will be let to play... Here we can have reservations, sick, old and even hijras to take part.

with the above scheme the Conclusion is:

- there wont be ugly sponsors, even if there is then every citizen gets equal share
- if we lose then its obvious that it was indians playing with all their will
- if we win, we know that it doesnot take lots of years of experience but the will to fight to win
- Lots of participation and nobody cribs anymore because everybody gets to play someday in some international

Let every indian get the oppurtunity to play in the game where its ok to lose or win....

Last edited by four_tire : 5th April 2007 at 12:18.

Most Viewed